Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

To my knowledge, there's no stereo simulator in Audacity. You can do it manually, though - all you have to do is convert it to a stereo track and then move one of the two channels a little bit earlier than the other. (Might want to decrease the gain for that channel a little bit, too.) The result is not true stereo by any means, but it sounds a little more natural. Doesn't have that awful flatness that mono has.

actually there IS a stereo simulator, its a plugin you have to download though its called MDA stereo simulator

EDIT:

complete the following steps to create a true stereo track:

8) Download VST enabler from http://audacityteam.org/vst/

9) Unzip and put in the audacity\plugins folder

10) Download MDA's Stereo Simulator from http://mda.smartelectronix.com/effects.htm - you have to download all their plugins in the one download, but it is reasonably small (1 meg)

11) From the zip you have just downloaded, copy mda_stereo.dll into the Audacity\plugins folder

12) Restart Audacity

13) Highlight all the audio in both tracks (Ctrl-A)

14) In the effects menu, choose mda_stereo.

15) Accept default settings (you *could* alter these at your own risk)

16) Click on OK.

17) ENJOY!

Read more: How to Convert Mono to Stereo | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2131095_convert-mono-stereo.html#ixzz18UyOax87

I could but the quality of the trailer on the Star Wars website is too low.

I found a HD trailer on YouTube, and it is in stereo but there's a lot of SFX over it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMz_vSP7cRo

There was even sound effects in the regular version. Not as loud but they were there.

actually there IS a stereo simulator, its a plugin you have to download though its called MDA stereo simulator

EDIT:

complete the following steps to create a true stereo track:

8) Download VST enabler from http://audacityteam.org/vst/

9) Unzip and put in the audacity\plugins folder

10) Download MDA's Stereo Simulator from http://mda.smartelectronix.com/effects.htm - you have to download all their plugins in the one download, but it is reasonably small (1 meg)

11) From the zip you have just downloaded, copy mda_stereo.dll into the Audacity\plugins folder

12) Restart Audacity

13) Highlight all the audio in both tracks (Ctrl-A)

14) In the effects menu, choose mda_stereo.

15) Accept default settings (you *could* alter these at your own risk)

16) Click on OK.

17) ENJOY!

Read more: How to Convert Mono to Stereo | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2131095_convert-mono-stereo.html#ixzz18UyOax87

Hmmm...I wonder if this could work on the old Air Force One bootleg tracks. I mean the ones that the Goldsmith cues are in mono.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the clean ending for Chase Through Coruscant I, but we don't have the clean opening for the next part... or do we? I got it from the DVD of the film and crossfading the material seems to work quite well crossfaded into the cleaner material. But I also have a question. In BF2 we have an alternate version of the measures starting 7:52 of track 3, so which is the true piece?

Also, I had a thought about Boys into Battle... what if the low japanese drums which become louder in the film is how it starts? And then as the fighters race by we go into the rest of the piece as it appears in BF2 instead of how it jumps in later in the film... I say this because the opening sequence was supposed to have more battle in it, but Lucas cut it down, even though I know he filmed it.

We have the clean ending for Chase Through Coruscant I, but we don't have the clean opening for the next part... or do we? I got it from the DVD of the film and crossfading the material seems to work quite well crossfaded into the cleaner material. But I also have a question. In BF2 we have an alternate version of the measures starting 7:52 of track 3, so which is the true piece?

I think there were different takes of cues for AOTC just like with The Phantom Menace so you could use either one. Personally I did a film version edit since I liked hearing the film version portion for the 7:52 mark (if you're talking about those I guess, drums?).

Also, I had a thought about Boys into Battle... what if the low japanese drums which become louder in the film is how it starts? And then as the fighters race by we go into the rest of the piece as it appears in BF2 instead of how it jumps in later in the film... I say this because the opening sequence was supposed to have more battle in it, but Lucas cut it down, even though I know he filmed it.

Actually the opening of "Boys Into Battle" if left in place would have come right after "Main Title" like how it is on the soundtrack. I lined it up once and it fit rather perfectly playing. I meant as far as the opening portion playing when the Republic Stardestroyer is revealed before the Force Theme kicks in and showing Obi-Wan's and Anakin's starfighters.

From what I was told, according to the sheet music, the Japanese drums only play through out the opening portion up I think until the Force Theme kicks in and don't appear again.

I think there were different takes of cues for AOTC just like with The Phantom Menace so you could use either one. Personally I did a film version edit since I liked hearing the film version portion for the 7:52 mark (if you're talking about those I guess, drums?).

The film version drums found in the BF2 rip (I sent you my BF2 rip, it's in "Tentacles-Droid Fight-Take to Your Ships-Chase Coruscant_0" after the Take To Your Ships segment), so I believe that is what I mean, yes.

Speaking of which, isn't the album track made of three cues? Zam the Assassin, Chase Through Coruscant and Lower Levels (or Chase Pt 2 as I call it). We don't have clean endings for Zam the Assassin nor a clean beginning for Chase Through Coruscant, although I think that the drum roll ending Zam the Assassin is pitched up and recycled for the End Credits suite.

Actually the opening of "Boys Into Battle" if left in place would have come right after "Main Title" like how it is on the soundtrack. I lined it up once and it fit rather perfectly playing. I meant as far as the opening portion playing when the Republic Stardestroyer is revealed before the Force Theme kicks in and showing Obi-Wan's and Anakin's starfighters.

From what I was told, according to the sheet music, the Japanese drums only play through out the opening portion up I think until the Force Theme kicks in and don't appear again.

So if I interpret this correctly, in BF2 Boys Into battle is only partially right? I did notice in the film there's a portion without the drums that BF2 does have drums over (in the rip I sent you, "Boys into Battle_1" from 1:08 should be without the drums then)

So if I interpret this correctly, in BF2 Boys Into battle is only partially right? I did notice in the film there's a portion without the drums that BF2 does have drums over (in the rip I sent you, "Boys into Battle_1" from 1:08 should be without the drums then)

Ya the unreleased piece where R2 whistles just before Anakin says, "Master, General Grievous' ship is directly ahead, the one crawling with Vulture droids" is mixed like the album version. The mix is the album version where the drums are barely heard. As I said though, from what I was told the drums appear the beginning portion of "Boys Into Battle" up until the point when the Force Theme kicks in. After that they don't reappear again.

So it's a matter of personal preference on how you want to do the mix. Personally, for myself I like having the drums overdubbed up until the point where the film doesn't have them in that unreleased portion. I would use the rear channel rips for that part but there's too many sfx. I do wish that particular section didn't have the overdubs.

It's actually kind of interesting to note that piece I'm talking about in the rear channels off the German DVD rip, specifically the front main rear ones you can still hear those drum overdubs. So the Battlefront 2 material is definitely the film version mix.

I've received some interesting information. My source asked to remain anonymous, so please don't ask, but I could not be more confident in the accuracy of the info.

* My theory about "Swimming, Droids, and Yoda Farewell" was flat-out wrong. That cue contains everything right up till the start of "News of the Attack", on Padme's balcony.

* There seems to have been some disagreement on whether 3M8 was titled "Obi-Wan Faces Droids" or "Obi-Wan Faces Death" (not to mention the well-known "Fares" typo), but "Droids" seems to have been Williams' original intention.

* This one will be a little divisive. The percussion overdubs in the film/game mix of "Moving Things Along" were absolutely part of Williams' intentions. I dunno why he removed them from the OST, but they apparently weren't any sort of editorial choice. But it seems the drums heard in "Boys Into Battle" and "They're Coming Around" - even in the OST - weren't in the sheet music, so who knows who made that decision and when. Same goes for "Heroes Collide."

* "Revenge of the Sith (DVD Version)" is indeed the concert suite "Battle of the Heroes", fully written out from beginning to end, and the same goes for the statement of the theme in the credits, even though there was clearly some editing done, since the same exact take was used for most of both of these on the OST.

* Last but certainly not least humorous..."Palpatine's TV Set" is apparently four veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long measures. :lol:

Again, my source didn't want to be identified, so please just enjoy the new information. :)

So I was right about News of the Attack then. TFU2 contains the clean ending for Swimming, Droids and Yoda Farewell, and the cue DOES also contain the Bail Organa and Obi-Wan escaping Utapau scenes.

As for Boys into Battle/They're Coming Around - it's obvious the japanese drums were overdubbed - in the album version of Boys Into Battle, there are no drums (except for the single loud drum used to bridge the gap between the "Lock onto them R2" bit which is missing, it's also a different drum when compared to the film/video game take), and in They're Coming Around in the album, the drums are loud... then get much quieter. I think it's one of those things where Lucas in the editing booth suggested changes, perhaps that Williams would record some drum overdubs for those cues. As for Moving Things Along, nice to know the film actually got it right but why Williams then chose to remove the drums and percussion in the album is beyond me... As for "Revenge of the Sith DVD Version", I believe it was stated that the Album version of Battle of the Heroes was an 'extended' version that Williams wrote a new intro and ending for, probably at Lucas' request.

On other news, although rumour at the moment, Spark Unlimited may be developing Battlefront III, which, if true means that there will hopefully be a slew of unreleased music coming soon... that is if they decide not to release the complete scores this year (and they'd be mad not to).

I've received some interesting information. My source asked to remain anonymous, so please don't ask, but I could not be more confident in the accuracy of the info.

* My theory about "Swimming, Droids, and Yoda Farewell" was flat-out wrong. That cue contains everything right up till the start of "News of the Attack", on Padme's balcony.

* There seems to have been some disagreement on whether 3M8 was titled "Obi-Wan Faces Droids" or "Obi-Wan Faces Death" (not to mention the well-known "Fares" typo), but "Droids" seems to have been Williams' original intention.

* This one will be a little divisive. The percussion overdubs in the film/game mix of "Moving Things Along" were absolutely part of Williams' intentions. I dunno why he removed them from the OST, but they apparently weren't any sort of editorial choice. But it seems the drums heard in "Boys Into Battle" and "They're Coming Around" - even in the OST - weren't in the sheet music, so who knows who made that decision and when. Same goes for "Heroes Collide."

* "Revenge of the Sith (DVD Version)" is indeed the concert suite "Battle of the Heroes", fully written out from beginning to end, and the same goes for the statement of the theme in the credits, even though there was clearly some editing done, since the same exact take was used for most of both of these on the OST.

* Last but certainly not least humorous..."Palpatine's TV Set" is apparently four veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long measures. :lol:

Again, my source didn't want to be identified, so please just enjoy the new information. :)

Thanks for the information.

So if I'm understanding you right, "Obi-Wan Faces Droids", is clearly just called "Droids"?

I always figured the overdubs in "Moving Things Along" were the original intention.

So if I'm understanding you right, "Obi-Wan Faces Droids", is clearly just called "Droids"?

no, it means that its not Obi-Wan Faces Death, its Obi-Wan Faces Droids

If your friend were, surely he'd be willing to have slipped some samples your way. Of course, he's not, but by the way you word it I'm guessing he might be one with access to the actual recording sessions though.

There is one thing that we still don't know about ROTS:

What the film ending of "Get 'em, R-2!" was - was it a legitimate ending of the cue, an alternate take, part of another cue?

It was my understanding that the cue extends to the end of the hangar fight, when they toss the communicator to R2, with the music being dialled out from the landing in film through the end of the cue. I'm thinking the material that plays at the end of the cue which appears during the landing is probably an alternate take of the ending. Don't know for sure, though.

We've known for a while that the material heard in the games for "Get 'Em, R2!" isn't part of any alternate or anything - as Delorean90 said, the full cue would have played all the way through the end of the scene. In the film, everything up till that final fanfare inside the hangar is correct. At that point, it would have transitioned into about 20 seconds (I think) of missing music. Then comes one of the two game files, the one that starts with the big dissonant chords. Then the other game file, the one that starts out with quietly driving strings, comes in RIGHT after this. No music missing in between. That takes us to the end of the cue, which is also heard in the film; it just plays a lot earlier in the scene, and the final note has been pitched up.

Note also that if you want to do an "as intended" edit, the final note of "Get 'Em, R2!" needs to be overlapped with the first note of Grievous's theme in "The Elevator Scene." It's actually a cool transition once you get used to it.

That's all more or less correct. There's a small passage missing after they destroy the battle droids in the elevator, but GoodMusician has edited out that part of the film (R2 hiding from the super battle droids) so everything still lines up, anyhow. :) And, of course, that 20-second passage that I mentioned would have come right before the start of this video. EDIT: Also, just a reminder - "General Grievous" is not an actual cue title. If you want to use the original cue titles, "The Elevator Scene" starts with Grievous' theme and continues all the way through to the end of...well, the elevator scene. It's all one cue with one name.

No, the film version ending is the real ending of the cue - they just cut out the 20-second missing passage, the contents first game file, and some of the contents of the second game file. The film version ending replaces part of the missing 20-second passage.

Hey look, a YouTube video! :D

I guess they just didn't want music during the battle. Figured Williams had overscored the whole first 20 minutes of the film...there's a lot of music missing.

Another tidbit about ROTS that I might not have mentioned: the bit from "Boys Into Battle" in "Good Guys Arrive" is indeed a bit from "Boys Into Battle" - as in, tracked, apparently. Williams wrote a new fanfare for that moment.

I figured so on that bit, which means the original fanfare is missing, still. Yet they still insist on putting only the closing moments in video games...

Why did Lucas feel the need to tamper with the music, I wonder? People say it was under the influence of Burtt, but I don't think that was the sole reason.

EDIT: Do you know how Good Guys Arrive was meant to start, Datameister?

I figured so on that bit, which means the original fanfare is missing, still. Yet they still insist on putting only the closing moments in video games...

Why did Lucas feel the need to tamper with the music, I wonder? People say it was under the influence of Burtt, but I don't think that was the sole reason.

Burtt is part of the reason. It's because Williams' music clashes with his sound effects. He would get pissy if the music was mixed too loud. If you don't believe me watch one of the documentaries from the 2nd ROTS DVD and you'll see what I'm talking about. I can't remember which one it was but it showed it.

For The Phantom Menace we know that good portion of the second half of the film was changed around after Spielberg (and Burtt) said something about it. See the 2nd DVD disc of TPM and one of it's documentaries (can't remember which one).

It seems Williams might have over-scored ROTS (like he did with Empire). All though a lot of the dropped music at the beginning of the film (after Obi-Wan and Anakin crash land in the hangar bay) would have probably helped those scenes better, had the music been left in place.

To me with out the music for those particular sequences, they seem to drag on.

I read something once that Burtt thinks that a movie can rely souly on sound effects and no music. Well with a movie like Star Wars and Star Trek (Giacchino), that's utter crap. I'm actually glad J.J. Abrams went back and re-inserted music back into "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns" back into the film that Burtt originally cut out.

I recall seeing that on the Phantom Menace DVD, but I also recall hearing that Lucas' musical editing choices also boiled down to his 'obsession' with the concert suite of Duel of the Fates.

EDIT: So, Battle of Coruscant would go something like this? (i used the synth mockup to fill the gap in "Get 'em, R-2!")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5wPSXuc8-U

Do you know how Good Guys Arrive was meant to start, Datameister?

It's a fanfare that we don't have yet. Apparently it would have lasted about the same amount of time as the tracked measures, but I think it was more of a heraldic sort of traditional Williams fanfare rather than the highly dissonant, full-orchestral stuff from "Boys Into Battle." As for the YouTube video, yeah, that's about right. :) Of course, the drums are still a bit of a mystery, so it's really a personal decision of whether to include them or not; I went with the OST version, but that's just me. (Also, might I recommend using a little artificial reverb in some of the transitions? It can really smooth things out nicely if you use it right.)

And you're of course correct, lordskylark - we can't be too OCD about making unused music fit the final cut of the film, because there are often cuts that have been made since the cue was recorded.

ggtuck you forgot the synth bit that Joe (Datameister) did that was edited out and was meant to underscore the two Super Battle Droids entering the hangar, seeing the Obi-Wan's and Anakin's Starfighters and R2 hiding from them (before the elevator stops). Other than that, that is how it goes as Joe stated.

All the cue is there, and I edited it exactly to the mockup Datameister made. I am not too sure that scene was originally in the film myself.

Ah, I see.

EDIT: It's hard to hear what instruments are supposed to be when they're synth, so what are the instruments playing in that bit?

EDIT 2: God, I hope this rumoured Starfighter sequel has the rest of the Battle of Coruscant in it.

A partial set has made the rounds among the collectors, but it's missing a number of cues, which is why I was so pleased to discover that information about "Moving Things Along" and "They're Coming Around" and whatnot. Those cues aren't in the set.

I've just realised that we don't have the rip for "The Clone Wars" - the 2002 video game made to promote Attack of the Clones. I was lucky enough to obtain a copy of it (it's really hard to find here these days) so I shall attempt a rip myself of it and report my findings here as to what music was included (there's bound to be some unreleased stuff in there since it was made and released at roughly the same time as Bounty Hunter)

With a bit of luck. I cannot believe this game has not yet been ripped in any form (it was released across three consoles). Even Bounty Hunter, which was released simultaneously with this game, got a rip.