'Stone' by Johnny Greenwood and Jon Brion

QMM

You can listen to a bit of the score here

Ed Norton had this to say:

John (Curran) and I got to talking really early on about the whole theme of Stone and how he talks about becoming a tuning fork of God and how when sound comes to you, it’s terrifying. And it wasn’t in the script, but Curran and I started talking about this idea of “Wouldn’t it be interesting to have a trope in the film that was like that tuning fork” and I happened to be in England and I was with Johnny (Greenwood), and Johnny is obsessed with sounds and he’s obsessed with wave form and all kind of interesting stuff, and so is Thom (Yorke). And I said to (Greenwood), “Hey, if you were going to try to deconstruct something, like a sound, what would sound like a huge tuning fork,” and he was like, “Oh yeah, maybe an organ, maybe an organ…” (Norton says in a British accent).

Those guys didn’t score the film because they didn’t have time, but they play with stuff all the time, so they had files and files and files of stuff, like taking intrsuments and literally breaking them down into wave forms and sounds…and they flipped a bunch of stuff off to us, to just play with and then we worked with their engineer a bit, but then you needed themes too, so (Curran) went to Jon Brion, as we both really love his work, and it seemd in sync in many ways with what the Radiohead guys play with. (Brion) does a lot of atonal, arrhythmic stuff, so Johnny recorded some organs, (Brion) recorded some organs, (Curran) did some things and then two of the sound engineers came up with some textural stuff. And at the end of the day, John Curran really conducted it all, he just threw it all into a Cuisinart to create this sort of soundscape. It was fun, very experimental and very unusual.

WHY IS THERE NO RELEASE FOR THIS YET?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic