Another Spielberg possibility: Robopocalypse

Charlie Brigden

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

And this does not apply for Spielberg. He does not have a distinct enough style, just several stylistic traits that are by no means sufficient to be called the work of an auteur. Spielberg himself once complained about not having an own stamp, unlike everyone else. Right he is.

Did you know that it's the ambition of Steven Soderbergh not to have a stamp? He wants movies to be made with great craft without adding any kind of personality. I guess that's why he analyses Spielberg's movies to death. ;)

Just that he stopped pleasing them a long time ago.

34 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I have to admit, Poltergeist is clearly a Spielberg movie. There is his fingerprints everywhere. He's still no auteur.

Again, what's your frame of reference here? The way you use this term suggests that there are boatloads of them in the profession.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Again, what's your frame of reference here? The way you use this term suggests that there are boatloads of them in the profession.

There are NOT many auteurs around and if I seemed to imply differently, it was not intentional.

It's a fact that Spielberg has several trademarks, but that doesn't mean he's an auteur.

15 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Thor's three rules that make no sense:

1. Soundtrack expansions are always superfluous (even The Lost World) and the OSTs are always the perfect representation of the score (even Air Force One).

2. Every director is an auteur (even Spielberg) and every movie is a masterpiece (even Prometheus).

3. Put a smiley behind any serious insult and it will become a harmless joke. :)

Haha, well-observed! :lol:

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Haha, well-observed!

Also strawman arguments, all of them. All very "Trump", which I guess is fitting for our times.

That a moderator of a board is unable to see that, is rather disturbing.

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think it's particularly humourous to have one's viewpoints or situation misrepresented. Especially not if comes from a source that is not exactly "friendly ribbing", but clearly more malicious in tone.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

It's a fact that Spielberg has several trademarks, but that doesn't mean he's an auteur.

Actually, that's exactly what it means. Most of his thematic traits (strong mother figures, deceptive father figures, flight & escape, children's perception, 'believing is seeing', the belief in hope in hopeless circumstances, non-verbal communication and so on) are culled directly from his own personal life, and he puts these ideas in play by using a recurrent set of visual trademarks. Not only is he an auteur, he is the CLASSIC example of an auteur, the way the term was originallly coined and used by the Cahiers de Cinema writers. I suggest you read up on that before making any more dismissive remarks of this fact. This is not some subjective evaluation.

I think you're the first person I've ever met who dispute the fact that Spielberg is an auteur (and that includes ignorant hipsters in pub conversations who hated his output; even they recognized this). Quite astonishing when it's a on John Williams messageboard.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Did you know that it's the ambition of Steven Soderbergh not to have a stamp? He wants movies to be made with great craft without adding any kind of personality.

:lol: It's funny that he would say that, because from approximately 1998-2009, I recognized his stamp all over Che, Traffic, the Ocean's trilogy, etc.

47 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

:lol: It's funny that he would say that, because from approximately 1998-2009, I recognized his stamp all over Che, Traffic, the Ocean's trilogy, etc.

31ddafe82e7c8cb3_jq.xxxlarge_2x.jpg

To become faceless requires a lot of effort and skill.

• 2 months later...

It's still kind of on his radar:
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/steven-spielberg-says-hes-still-plugged-into-that-robopocalypse-adaptation

I only realized a couple of week's ago the novel has a sequel. Planning to read that soon as I really enjoyed the first one.

Jeez there's like a dozen projects that "could" be his next film.  Like always!

Remember that Jennifer Lawrence movie he was gonna make for a while?

Spielberg's a collaborative filmmaker, he's communicated this clearly from the very beginning and it's patently obvious to anyone who's been watching his work for the duration.

I thought Michael Bay took over the property?

Bloody Spielberg. He drops all the interesting projects (this, Montezuma) and takes on Hallmark Channel dramas like The Post. Ugh.

You've clearly never seen an actual Hallmark Channel drama.  If you're wanting to be unfairly dismissive of these good movies you're supposed to be like "stuffy Ken Burns public television"

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Bloody Spielberg. He drops all the interesting projects (this, Montezuma) and takes on Hallmark Channel dramas like The Post. Ugh.

That's exactly what I recently said. Thus, I totally agree with you.