Another Spielberg possibility: Robopocalypse

Charlie Brigden

TinTin, War Horse, Lincoln, and Robopocalypse is quite a foursome!

Bring on Pirate Latitudes too!

And Interstellar, and the Gershwin biopic, and Indiana Jones 5, and Oldboy, and Harvey, and Chocky, and 39 Clues, and...

Damn, I almost forgot about Interstellar... Let's hope Spielberg is able to do that one while Williams is still active. It could be a fantastic score.

In fact, most of Spielberg upcoming projects (even those we don't know if he's gonna direct or not) have great possibilities musically.

TinTin, War Horse, Lincoln, and Robopocalypse is quite a foursome!

Bring on Pirate Latitudes too!

And Interstellar, and the Gershwin biopic, and Indiana Jones 5, and Oldboy, and Harvey, and Chocky, and 39 Clues, and...

Spike Lee is doing Oldboy. It was just announced this week.

Despite the lame title, I'm glad to see more Spielberg films moving into production. And the premise of this one is pretty vague and seems like something Spielberg could do really well with. The only project I really want him to do while Williams is still available seems to be his fantasy project, a musical, but we haven't heard anything about that in Spielberg's lineup so I'm not holding my breath. If that's not a factor, then bring on anything and everything else!

• 2 months later...

Eh, I'm not sold on it. I mean, it's Spielberg and all, but I wouldn't put it past Spielberg to put Robopocalypse on hold if something else tickles his fancies after Lincoln. You know how fickle future Spielberg projects are until he starts getting a final cast and start date shaped up.

yeah but the more dissonant moment of A.I. No Blue Fairie or Monica's theme type of deal

But more importantly:

Will JW still be alive to score it? This is the main concern from now on

Eh, I'm not sold on it. I mean, it's Spielberg and all, but I wouldn't put it past Spielberg to put Robopocalypse on hold if something else tickles his fancies after Lincoln. You know how fickle future Spielberg projects are until he starts getting a final cast and start date shaped up.

That was because he was doing financial work with Dreamworks or something, and he couldn't hold a commitment. Since that's over, he's been pretty reliable.

I'm not getting the vibe of the next Williams classic with this. Seems to beg for an Inception\Dark Knight type temp track

Heres' my view fo current projects:

1)Tintin: Has the possibility to being a true Williams classic where we desperatly hunt for unreleased music for 20 years

2)War Horse:Will probably be great with a decent/ near complete album

3)Lincoln. another Amistad/Rosewood/SPR dust gatherer

4)Robopocalypse: Minority Report/WotW type of score with maybe a good "Finale" cue thrown in

1)Tintin: Has the possibility to being a true Williams classic where we desperatly hunt for unreleased music for 20 years

4)Robopocalypse: Minority Report/WotW type of score with maybe a good "Finale" cue thrown in

None of them will get the heart rate up. But we can expect the polished sheen of a true craftsman - kinda like the hands of an old experienced harbor whore who effortlessly does all the right moves. ;)

I'm surprised that we get TINTIN in about a month here in Germany, but there is almost no aggressive marketing behind it at this point.

I really hope this movie comes through... although I understand Lincoln is definite and comes first (casting calls have already begun).

I gotta be honest, although I love A.I., when I heard "a Spielberg-directed robot movie," I expected something else. A little bit more action-oriented (though not mindless action like The Transformer movies).

I'm not getting the vibe of the next Williams classic with this. Seems to beg for an Inception\Dark Knight type temp track

The majesty of your cynicism lays waste to all in its path.

I'm surprised that we get TINTIN in about a month here in Germany, but there is almost no aggressive marketing behind it at this point.

Not just in Germany. Anywhere in the world except the U.S. and Canada, I understand.

2)War Horse: Will be a brilliant, challenging score, with lots of thematic material. Will be even better than Tintin

3)Lincoln: Seeing how much Williams admires the Lincoln figure, this has the chance to be a brilliant americana score

4)Robopocalypse: A violent, exciting score. Will be modern sounding, but I'm expecting lots of brasses and anvil

Fixed.

Although I'm kinda hoping that Robopocalypse has no score, so that way Spielberg will allow Williams to do a End Credits piece entitled "March of the Robots". Would be interesting to hear a new piece where he hasn't to be attached to the timing of the picture.

Although I'm kinda hoping that Robopocalypse has no score, so that way Spielberg will allow Williams to do a End Credits piece entitled "March of the Robots". Would be interesting to hear a new piece where he hasn't to be attached to the timing of the picture.

Not just in Germany. Anywhere in the world except the U.S. and Canada, I understand.

I've barely seen anything in the US. There was a poster in our movie theatre, I think that's all I've seen.

Like I've been saying, Spielberg changed somewhere around Schindler's List. We're never going to get the old one back.

Of course we're not. Post-Schindler's List Spielberg doesn't try to prove anything with every new movie (unlike post-E.T. Spielberg, who kept trying so. Damn. Hard. to show how relevant he could be). He only makes movies to

a) get money for risky projects (the way The Lost World paid for Amistad, Minority Report paid for Catch Me If You Can and War of the World paid for Munich)

bI make the projects he feels like, either because the topic intrigues him (Amistad, A.I., Munich) or because working on it sounds fun regardless of the final outcome (The Terminal, Catch Me, Indy IV)

Raiders, Close Encounters, E.T., Jaws, even Jurassic Park... he's already done that. He's not a young, hungry director anymore. He's not going back to that again. Those projects put him at the top of the industry and there's no removing him from there. So, other than embarrassing himself by trying to film like a younger man, the only logical step for him is to follow his intellectual (not visceral anymore) interests. Catering to the fans, or to the image he projected 20 years ago, is only a financial need.

So let's leave 80's Spielberg in the 80's and sit back and watch this mature Spielberg grow in very different territories than before. It's a lot less fun (I think Munich is awesome, but it is not fun); a lot more pretentious and less ambitious. But it's refreshing to see he's being true to himself.

Indy 5 might still be good!

You know, that's a possibility. If he's already gotten the nostalgia kick that drove him to do the fourth one out of his system, he might actually focus on the movie itself.

There were some very interesting modern Spielberg ideas in the fourth movie: Indy's alienation from the "normal" world (visually conveyed by having him run, fearing for his life, around a suburban house where the "nuclear" family are lifeless dummies, looking out of place as ever -- notice also the "nuclear" punchline at the end of the scene. Indy looking at the nuke going off, a beautiful image he had to run away from because it could have killed him), his age, the nihilism that comes after wasting your life on different adventures... Very interesting stuff, buried by thousands of subsequent drafts that didn't bother to develop it.

Spielberg briefly updates on Robopocalypse:

And what about the none-more-contrasting Robopocalypse? How's that shaping up? "It reminded me of Michael Crichton. I'm in pre-production on it right now. I'm hoping to start shooting the picture some time in '12. I don't exactly know when, hopefully some time this summer, for a '13 release."

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32102

But more importantly:

Will JW still be alive to score it? This is the main concern from now on

It's not like he's dying. When he starts sitting down while conducting, then you should start worrying.

Rosewood a dust gatherer?! Where's Mark O. and Joe B. when I need them?

To some people, if it's not an action adventure score, it is a dust gatherer. And I agree, Rosewood is wonderful and as with pretty much all JW dramatic scores, highly thematic

To some people, if it's not an action adventure score, it is a dust gatherer. And I agree, Rosewood is wonderful and as with pretty much all JW dramatic scores, highly thematic

Exactly. To me, these dramatic, serious scores get far more playtime over here than the action adventure thingies.

You forgot Indy 5.

• 1 month later...

I desperately want this movie to be made!!

Indy 5 might still be good!

Lol i love that Hitler Rants Parody!

Here it is for everyone:

:lol:

Anybody familiar with the "Godwin's law"? What does it say?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Robopocalypse is next.

I just finished shooting a movie about Abraham Lincoln staring Daniel Day-Lewis which I am so deeply proud of. But because I am right in the middle of the editing of Lincoln, I’m not really going to speak and talk very much about that until the time is right to talk about it. And I’m making a science fiction movie probably in September called Robopocalypse based on Daniel Wilson’s book. It’s a cautionary tale about war between human beings and robots. It’s a big crowd pleaser, I think, a big action popcorn movie with a message. The message is actually in the popcorn! You have to get the popcorn, dig down deep in the bottom and they’ll be a message about what Robopocalypse is really about! And I have a couple of other plans which I don’t want to go into because they’re too far out of the horizon. But there’s a lot of work ahead, a lot of television my company is producing for some of the networks and some of the cable outlets. So I’m busy!

http://collider.com/steven-spielberg-lincoln-tintin-sequels-jurassic-park-4-interview/137598/

yay! so lincoln is already shot. (sorry for the pun). Williams will live to score this one :)

i hope.

ANd robopocalipse this sonn also, great.

The wait for tintin 2 will be shorter...

Yep, as directed by PJ. Wonder if he'll keep JW.

yay! so lincoln is already shot. (sorry for the pun). Williams will live to score this one :)

i hope.

ANd robopocalipse this sonn also, great.

The wait for tintin 2 will be shorter...

Yep, as directed by PJ. Wonder if he'll keep JW.

Or if indeed JW will agree to score a movie that isn't directed by Speilberg. Perhaps someone will be brought in to compose the score based on his existing themes. Certainly, that would be extremely disappointing, but its too early yet to start speculating I suppose...

Meh Tintin isn't a Williams classic. Unless he gives us a concert version of Tintin's theme in 2 I don't care

I'm more excited about Roboapocalypse