Another Spielberg possibility: Robopocalypse

Charlie Brigden

In Roald's defense, he has never been relevant anyway.

Dude; you're on a board where discussion topics have titles like 'The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread' or 'Your Top 10 favourite Superhero/Comic book movies'. You really think anything, anyone says in here has the potential to be relevant..??

Written more then 4 months ago, way to go!

:woop:

I was just joking Roald ;)

If I put ! or smilies at the end it ruins it. It's my way, it aint personal.

I wasn't too serious either. ;)

With such a big budget, I'm hoping they're spending more money on real sets and animatronics rather than the whole film being CGI, as most movies are these days :|

I got the book today. I've heard it's pretty good.

The events that lead to the Robot takeover are great reading (and with some very cool visual ideas). The books looses steam when it becomes more militaristic, but it's still interesting

Alternately, it could be called Androidigeddon, Cyborgatastrophe,Machinolocaust or Mechadevastation and it wouldn't be any worse for it.

The events that lead to the Robot takeover are great reading (and with some very cool visual ideas). The books looses steam when it becomes more militaristic, but it's still interesting

Reviews of the book are broadly mixed. Many people seem to agree that Wilson copied quite deliberately the style and tone of Max Brooks' World War Z (robots instead of zombies).

I liked WWZ but it was episodic rather than pure linear. It was it's downfall for me. It read much like a collection of zombie short stories. Personally I like the one in Las Vegas with the Elvis zombies and the Jerry's Kids zombies..

Fox and Disney have moved Robopocalypse from July 3, 2013 date to April 25, 2014. (Spielberg is still attached to direct.)

http://boxofficemojo...bopocalypse.htm

Instead, Fox will re-release a retrofitted 3D Independence Day in its place. *sigh*

Ok seriously; WTF?!

Here's the Variety article on it:

Fox pushes Spielberg's 'Robopocalypse' to 2014

Studio also announces 3D 'Independence Day' for next summer

By RACHEL ABRAMS

Twentieth Century Fox has pushed Steven Spielberg's "Robopocalypse" back a year, moving the pic from July 3, 2013 to April 25, 2014. Studio also announced that it will release a 3D version of Roland Emmerich's 1996's "Independence Day" on July 3, 2013.

Fox has also set "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" for Memorial Day (May 23) 2014. "Dawn" follows Rupert Wyatt's 2011 "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."

Fox announced that it will unspool the next installment in its "X-Men" franchise on July 18, 2014.

Release dates for next year include the Christmas rollout of "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" and "Walking with Dinosaurs," the latter of which shifts from Oct. 11 to Dec. 20. Chernin Entertainment's untitled Paul Feig comedy will unspool April 5 while "Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters" hits theaters Aug. 16, 2013 (pushed from March 15). Studio will release animated pic "Epic" (Formerly titled "Leafmen") on May 24.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118054867

I don't see the point of this. Does anyone see the point of this?

Stereo-D converted Titanic 3D. Fox owns international rights on that film, which grossed $284 million in its re-release (close to half of that came from China alone). Fox wants to repeat that with re-releasing ID4 in 3D on July 3rd.

Obviously someone at Fox feels that this will make them the most money, and/or Spielberg realized he needed more time than he had originally budgeted for either production or post-production.

Stereo-D converted Titanic 3D. Fox owns international rights on that film, which grossed $284 million in its re-release (close to half of that came from China alone). Fox wants to repeat that with re-releasing ID4 in 3D on July 3rd.

Yep.

Well this really sucks. Of course the most important piece of information is to see if the recording sessions are being pushed back. That could be a disaster.

3D conversions are unnecessary. 3D ID4 is totally unnecessary. Not a chance in hell. Goodnight!

You have to look at the economics of it. It only costs a fraction of what Robopocalypse will probably cost (even with Dreamworks, Disney and Fox splitting costs) -- $10M to $18M for converting, plus an additional $30M-$50M for marketing and distribution. 3D is big internationally, and Fox will rake in a tidy profit just from the international sales alone. I can see the 3D ID4 puttering out here in the U.S., thanks to the lukewarm reception to the 3D Titanic and Phantom Menace releases.

Let's face it, it's cheaper to convert older titles in 3D and re-release them.

My only wish for Spielberg was Interstellar before any of this War Horse/Lincoln/Robopocalypse thing so now I'm at a loss of what I would like him to do. Certainly anything unique or weird by him would be great.

Spielberg will surely sneak in something else in its place, don't worry.

What I'd really love is to see Spielberg tackling this "window" opportunity to make a low-budget, independent-like genre movie (a thriller, a noir or a heist movie), all shot on location with lots of hand-held camera. It would be great to see him make his own After Hours.

Perhaps he'll just make it this summer anyway, and continue to another movie after that, so that 2014 will have two Spielberg releases..

And then another double nomination for Williams for yet another failed attempt at his 6th Oscar.

And then another double nomination for Williams for yet another failed attempt at his 6th Oscar.

Robopocalypse won't win the Oscar anyway. Lincoln is his best shot, and it'll be his only score released in 2013.

Why are they pushing it to April? I can't believe that they are putting garbage like Independence Day in it's place.

Because Summer movies are dyingl, they get released early in Spring instead. They probably understood that rushing the project would hurt, so it got pushed into the next year. It's not the first Spielberg movie that gets pushed around.

I heard from a source who's working on this film that the production has been shut down. According to him, it's not even sure anymore if Spielberg will still direct this movie. There is also some kind of connection with the fact that Kathleen Kennedy has been named co-chairman of Lucasfilm.