Another Spielberg possibility: Robopocalypse

Charlie Brigden

Apologies if we had one of these before, the search function is still not right, so you can merge if you wish. In any case...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29282'>ROBOPOCALYPSE!!!

I hope someone makes it, cause that's a great title.

some pathetic SS fan out there starts holding his breath. He's found dead hours later after passing out and falling, hitting his head and suffering a brain hemorage.

All because Steven can't make up his mind.

Actually, the only time since 2008 that an article has said Spielberg was "committed to directing" when he later had to drop the project was Lincoln and Harvey. That plus the fact that we were finally given a reason why Spielberg took so long to pick a project (because he was trying to save Dreamworks or something) makes me feel like this is a fairly reliable fact (that Spielberg will direct Robowhatever).

That said, I can't imagine a movie with such a title being anything more than a flop, but I have confidence in Spielberg. Contrary to the article author, if it's anything like War of the Worlds I'll probably like it. And I'm always happy about a new Williams score.

This one was announced a long time ago. I say we don't pay attention to this and just look forward to those which are actually getting made.

It was aunnonced that Spielberg was considering this project, not that he was committed to directing it.

This hasn't been mentioned here before, and I must say.....

How many freaking projects does Spielberg have in the pipelines! Sheesh!

btw, the search engine isn't ENTIRELY broken. You can still do a "titles only" search - you just gotta click "posts" instead of "topic list" at the bottom... then your results are in fact a topic list. Its weird, but it works

I'll believe any SS film exists when I'm actually sitting in the theatre watching it.

When he gets behind the camera to physically direct it, at least.

I don't have the infinite quote box handy like Jason, but this must be at least the 12th time in the last year I've said this:

I'll believe Spielberg is doing a film when he's actually behind a camera.

If he does indeed do this after War Horse, I have a really hard time believing we'll have a Spielberg-directed Indy V. Maybe if he gets right to immediately after Robopocalypse (a title which sounds more like a spoof than I'm comfortable with...), but I find it hard to believe that Ford's gonna be up for it much longer than that--really, I think they should have already been shooting.

So, what's the fuss? Why are some people whining about this? :)

War Horse is currently shooting, Tintin is basically finished, and both movies will be released end of next year.

Robocalypse and Lincoln apparently come much later, 2012 or more likely 2013.

I think it's a good thing Spielberg has so many movies in the pipelines.

So, what's the fuss? Why are some people whining about this? :)

I think it's a good thing Spielberg has so many movies in the pipelines.

One I don't see anyone whining, and two, pretty much none of the movies Spielberg gets connected to are actually getting made, certainly not with him directing. How is that a good thing?

Have you read this thread?

Make Up Your Freaking Mind, Steve!

This hasn't been mentioned here before, and I must say.....

How many freaking movies does Spielberg have in the pipelines! Sheesh!

pretty much none of the movies Spielberg gets connected to are actually getting made,

None? :)

I still don't see the whining.

None? :)

Where's Interstellar? Where's The Secret Life of Walter Mitty? Where's the Spielberg-directed Memoirs of a Geisha? Where's that movie about the invisible rabbit, can't even remember the name of it? Lincoln is already rumored to be on the scrap heap too, hopefully Indy V will follow suit. And those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Now who's doing the whining? :)

Sure, many movies don't get made, but many movies do get made. "Pretty much none of the movies get made" is an exaggeration (or outright nonsense), and you know it! And it stands to reason that Spielberg can't direct 5, 6, or 7 movies in a year. So he directs a few himself, and produces some others.

Some examples:

Memoirs of a Geisha

Munich

War of the World

Flags of Our Fathers

Letters from Iwo Jima

Monster House

The Shark Is Still

Disturbia

Transformers

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Eagle Eye

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

The Lovely Bones

The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn

Transformers: The Dark of the Moon

If you'd bother to read and quote my entire post you'd see that I'm talking about movies Spielberg is connected to as a director, which is also the point of this thread. I count four movies on your list that he's directed, and three of those were in the first half of the decade.

I don't see the point of getting excited about Spielberg directing anything when his track record for almost the last decade is that the vast majority of movies that get connected to him as a director either don't get made or end up in someone else's hands. But hey, if you want to get excited over every one, be my guest. Just don't be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

If you'd bother to read and quote my entire post you'd see that I'm talking about movies Spielberg is connected to as a director, which is also the point of this thread. I count four movies on your list that he's directed, and three of those were in the first half of the decade.

I quote: "pretty much none of the movies Spielberg gets connected to are actually getting made, certainly not with him directing."

You said "certainly not with him directing," but you were talking generally about movies Spielberg gets connected to.

I don't see the point of getting excited about Spielberg directing anything when his track record for almost the last decade is that the vast majority of movies that get connected to him as a director either don't get made or end up in someone else's hands. But hey, if you want to get excited over every one, be my guest. Just don't be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Who said anything about "getting excited"? I certainly am not "getting excited."

And I've made myself perfectly clear in my previous post.

I quote: "pretty much none of the movies Spielberg gets connected to are actually getting made, certainly not with him directing."

You said "certainly not with him directing," but you were talking generally about movies Spielberg gets connected to.

And you prove right there you're more interested in pointless arguing than a real discussion. I'm done here.

One I don't see anyone whining, and two, pretty much none of the movies Spielberg gets connected to are actually getting made, certainly not with him directing. How is that a good thing?

Oh, I just stated my opinion, and then I was simply replying to this post of yours.

But sure, let's talk about the movies themselves.

It has the potential to be quite interesting. And it's surely good material for a killer JW score.

Hopefully not in the sense that Rich in Love was a killer Delerue score.

This is official:

Variety

It has the potential to be quite interesting. And it's surely good material for a killer JW score.

Yeah, sounds awesome.

But it's January 2012, so I wouldn't hold my breath. :)

I reckon this will be more AI than T2.

I'd prefer it the other way around, but beggars can't be chooses. There's still plenty of time for Spielberg to make a good 'ol action movie.

I reckon this will be more AI than T2.

I'd prefer it the other way around, but beggars can't be chooses.

Yeah, that was exactly my thought.

But then, I wouldn't mind another A.I.-like score. In fact, I would warmly welcome it!

Robopocalypse

Pros: It's sci-fi, it's Spielberg, it's John Williams, it's Drew Goddard from Cloverfield.

Cons: It's Disney, it's Drew Goddard from Lost.

Pros: It's sci-fi, it's Spielberg, it's (possibly) John Williams, it's Drew Goddard from Buffy, Angel, Alias and Lost

Cons: It's post 00's Spielberg.

I imagine so. The film itself sounds like a cross between WOTW and Transformers, so we'll see if it's any good.

But I wonder which aprroach will Williams take. A full General Grevious-based score, maybe?

Cartoon characters, a less-than-stellar adventure sequel, animal films and cheesy sci fi....come ON!! Where is the serious Spielberg who did MUNICH? I want him back. NOW.

Speilberg needs fresh blood and something good to make himself important again. Otherwise it's off to winners like "War of the Worlds" and "Indiana Jones [4]" for another ten years.

He'll be sucking the lifeforce from Drew like Willow words from those books in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and looking around to see if people think he's noticable anymore.

The good thing about everyone having such low expectations on his upcoming projects is that they are good, most people will be surprised...

Yeah, what a relevation, I know.

• 8 months later...

So is Spielberg going to direct Lincoln next, or Robopocalypse next?

Could we end up with two more Williams scores in 2013?

First Lincoln in 2012, then Robopocalyspe in 2013, if I'm remembering well.

Yea, you're right. Lincoln is scheduled for December 2012. A year from now Williams will probably be writing it!