Another Spielberg possibility: Robopocalypse

Charlie Brigden

I honestly think age is getting to the Beard... it's affecting his choices for directors after he steps down.

Bay is going to make Robopocalypse another incoherent Transformers-style mess.

6 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I honestly think age is getting to the Beard... it's affecting his choices for directors after he steps down.

Bay is going to make Robopocalypse another incoherent Transformers-style mess.

But he's going to make a lot a money

On 7.3.2018 at 11:26 PM, Matt C said:

Michael Bay is lining up to take over -- on Spielberg's recommendation.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/michael-bay-robopocalypse-6-underground-directing-movies-1202315936/

God help us all.

Brilliant! Huge Bay fan, and I think he's the perfect director for this. Can't wait!

2 hours ago, publicist said:

The project has now found the director it deserves.

Yep, but wouldn't have mind Spielberg doing it. With Bay, it means another unwatchable movie for me.

12 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

It would more than likely be unwatchable either way.

I would've liked to see a Transformers film directed by Spielberg. It would've had a killer Williams theme, if nothing else.

HOOK is not unwatchable. Quite the contrary, it's one of his most underrated movies.

He doesn' really have any unwatchable movies, but I think 1941 is hard to sit through.

The use of the word 'unwatchable' in relation to Spielberg falls on its own unreasonability. Even in films with warts, there are always traces of a master in action. Whether THE BFG, INDY 4, 1941, HOOK, ALWAYS or other less appreciated works.

I think A TIMELESS CALL is the closest to 'unwatchable' in his canon, but here I can at least close my eyes and listen to Williams' Americana.

My 'problem' with Spielberg is that he's merely being a professional craftsman. I lean more to movies that are more artistic in nature. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

My 'problem' with Spielberg is that he's merely being a professional craftsman. I lean more to movies that are more artistic in nature. 

Reductionistic nonsense. Spielberg's films are about as artistic as they come, even if it's within a classical paradigm. A true auteur.

It's not accidental that he's frequently lauded by more 'arthouse' directors -- from Truffaut to Paul Thomas Anderson.

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

Reductionistic nonsense. Spielberg's films are about as artistic as they come, even if it's within a classical paradigm. A true auteur.

It's not accidental that he's frequently lauded by more 'arthouse' directors -- from Truffaut to Paul Thomas Anderson.

BS! Spielberg is respected and lauded as a mainstream craftsman, someone who solely wants to serve and please the audience at large, and not as someone who makes arthouse movies. That PTA admires him is an invalid argument.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

BS! Spielberg is respected and lauded as a mainstream craftsman, someone who solely wants to serve and please the audience at large, and not as someone who makes arthouse movies. That PTA admires him is an invalid argument.

Wow. That's an incredibly snobbish statement, Alex. You don't have to make arthouse movies to be an auteur or be a 'proper artist'. Many great directors are perfectly able to express their artistic trademarks (visually and thematically) within classical storytelling. In fact, that's how the whole 'auteur' theory was applied in the first place; not as a description of arthouse directors, but French arthouse directors and critics applying the term to Hollywood filmmakers with a pronounced voice.

16 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I'm pretty sure to be an auteur you have to wear a black turtleneck and beret.  It also helps to be spotted smoking outside at a French cafe reading Proust and looking bored.

Yes, I think that's what Alex has in mind.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Thor's three rules that make no sense:

1. Soundtrack expansions are always superfluous (even The Lost World) and the OSTs are always the perfect representation of the score (even Air Force One).

2. Every director is an auteur (even Spielberg) and every movie is a masterpiece (even Prometheus).

3. Put a smiley behind any serious insult and it will become a harmless joke. :)

Yeah, then we would have nothing to fight about :lsabre:

3 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Wouldn't it get boring if everyone loved and hated the same things?

Hey @Philippe Roaché I'm not Jerry Drax, if that's what you're talking about.

10 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

1. Soundtrack expansions are always superfluous (even The Lost World) and the OSTs are always the perfect representation of the score (even Air Force One).

2. Every director is an auteur (even Spielberg) and every movie is a masterpiece (even Prometheus).

3. Put a smiley behind any serious insult and it will become a harmless joke. :)

straw-man-2ggcp8b.png

13 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I'm pretty sure to be an auteur you have to wear a black turtleneck and beret.  It also helps to be spotted smoking outside at a French cafe reading Proust and looking bored.

Does this mean JW is 50% an auteur?

10 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

According to dictionary.com:

Auteur: a filmmaker whose individual style and complete control over all elements of production give a film its personal and unique stamp.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

According to dictionary.com:

And this does not apply for Spielberg. He does not have a distinct enough style, just several stylistic traits that are by no means sufficient to be called the work of an auteur. Spielberg himself once complained about not having an own stamp, unlike everyone else. Right he is.

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

And this does not apply for Spielberg. He does not have a distinct enough style, just several stylistic traits that are by no means sufficient to be called the work of an auteur. Spielberg himself once complained about not having an own stamp, unlike everyone else. Right he is.

'Everyone else'? You mean apart from the 0.3% film directors who have? (e. g. von Trier and such)

1 minute ago, publicist said:

'Everyone else'? You mean apart from the 0.3% film directors who have? (e. g. von Trier and such)

This was kinda like he expressed it in the interview.

It's easy to spot Spielberg's directorial trademarks - his fluidity even in a total lame-o bland movie like 'The Post' is remarkable and towers above the pictorial tendencies of workmanlike directors like Ridley Scott (probably held in the same regard today). It's just that he denies his true talents to churn out award-friendly cabbage no one needs.

Something like that Montezuma story done right...it never happens, instead we get The BFG and The Post.

It's always about entertaining the masses, young and old (he was once compared to Disney) or (more recently) telling an 'important' story, and never about moviemaking simply for the sake of art. He did confess that Empire Of The Sun is the only movie he made without thinking about the audience. Could it be that this is precisely the reason why it's my favorite Spielberg? 

You be the judge!

51 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

This is factually wrong, and -- in all bluntness -- just an embarassing display of ignorance. He's one of the most recognizable film auteurs currently living.