The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

This summer? Next summer? Who cares, the war for 2012, the last summer before the end of the Mayan Calendar, is on!

New Batman movie slated for July 20, 2012, 3 weeks after Star Trek sequel

This was announced in March but I never got around to posting it:

Those aren't the only big guns headed to theatres in 2012, they will have to deal with Gojira as well.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2010/03/29/godzilla-returns/

Nice to see Nolan is taking his time on the next Batman film. I have a feeling the Spider-Man reboot is gonna bomb especially with it coming out after the Star Trek sequel and before the Batman sequel.

Good god do we need another Americanized Godzilla movie? It's bad enough that the first one bombed...despite getting a kick ass score from David Arnold for it. Do we need TWO!?

I'd love a Godzilla movie like the original, where everything is treated dead serious. I miss when movies had enough faith in themselves to take themselves seriously.

What, like Jacko's The Lord of the Rings?

Yep. There was lots of potentially silly stuff in those movies, but he did it without winking at the camera and providing humour through natural sources, just like another well-loved trilogy.

Tristar must have ditched the rights.

The rights ran out years ago.

I'm somewhat optimistic about a new Godzilla, especially with Legendary pictures and WB now involved. Toho has Godzilla on hiatus, in Japan, for now.

The only reason D&E got to do their film was because of the success of ID4 and the promise they would bring (Godzilla) in under budget. Sony and Toho were probably desperate to get a picture done before the rights expired, who knows how much was spent on pre-production for Jan Debont's aborted version. D&E had no intention of doing Godzilla correctly, nor did they even seem familiar with the history.

Tristar must have ditched the rights.

The rights ran out years ago.

I'm somewhat optimistic about a new Godzilla, especially with Legendary pictures and WB now involved. Toho has Godzilla on hiatus, in Japan, for now.

The only reason D&E got to do their film was because of the success of ID4 and the promise they would bring (Godzilla) in under budget. Sony and Toho were probably desperate to get a picture done before the rights expired, who knows how much was spent on pre-production for Jan Debont's aborted version. D&E had no intention of doing Godzilla correctly, nor did they even seem familiar with the history.

I think Devlin seemed pretty cluey on the source material (he's a good PR guy), but Emmerich didn't really care.

Plus, I liked the animated series that followed.

• 4 months later...

We all pretty much already knew that, but it's still good to hear official confirmation from the man himself. I just hope WB doesn't force him to do in 3D.

Apparently they want to shoot it entirely in IMAX and have no interest in 3D. I'm sure whoever does Superman will be forced to do it in 3D, but I'm sure at this point Nolan has earned the right to make the choice for himself.

I doubt WB will force him to do anything at this point. But I can be wrong...

Karol

I've heard hearsay that they are, which would be a bad move on their part because he's made it it clear he doesn't want to. That would be cause for him to walk, which would hurt the studio far more than it would Nolan.

• 4 weeks later...

At least Nolan confirmed it won't be in 3D and the Riddler won't be making an appearance. Thank god. I am so tired of that obviously false what's-his-face Doctor Who being the Riddler garbage.

I posted about this in the future films thread, but I think this deserves its own.

The third Bat-flick will be called THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, the film will not be 3-D, and the villain will not be The Riddler (although it may be Hans Zimmer).

Apparently they are also looking for an unknown female for a lead role, which has led some to speculate Catwoman, although I have a feeling it may be Talia Al Ghul.

And the backlash begins. It's not an awful title, but people will scapegoat this movie for how how much they overrated the other two.

And the backlash begins. It's not an awful title, but people will scapegoat this movie for how how much they overrated the other two.

Probably, TDK has started to take it already. But not from me, though. Whilst I think the title sucks, this is strongly vying with The Hobbit as my future number one flick.

Everything that has 'rise' in it is awful, Jessie.

"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!" - Robin Hood

"Rise a knight ... Rise a knight!" - Kingdom Of Heaven

Everything that has 'rise' in it is awful, Jessie.

"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!" - Robin Hood

"Rise a knight ... Rise a knight!" - Kingdom Of Heaven

It's a problem that's very simple to rectify: just add the letter A to the beginning of the word and success is guaranteed.

ARISE! ARISE, RIDERS OF THEODEN!

TDK is/was brilliant and was far from overrated.

That was simple a case of mass hysteria. (Suddenly the whole world (even people that never heard of him) went like crazy: "Heath Ledger is the greatest actor in history. Why did he have to die?! Why??")

TDK is/was brilliant and was far from overrated.

Batman Begins was mediocre and overrated.

we agree. I find most C. Nolan directoral efforts overthough and pretentious, with the sole exception of TDK, and much of that falls on the deceased star.

Since Batman is still only rising, I hope the composer doesn't award him with a theme yet. A one-and-a-half note motif at the beginning, developing into a two-and-a-half note motif at the end, would surely be appropriate.

Perhaps the next film can be called Very Nearly Batman.

I was drawn more towards Aaron Eckhart's decidedly understated, vulnerable performance than I was Ledger's OTT ACTING. Too showy, for me.

But let's not get into that again.

Ledger's character was over the top, his acting was not. I too can appreciate Eckhart's performance, which was not understated. It was in someways the harder of the two roles because his character's need to be sympathetic and dangerous at the same time. The only performance in the film that is substandard is that of the main character who is upstaged by all the other male cast. Bale's bland "Batman" was the only real weak link in the film.

Yeah, Bale is the weakest link, although the character of Rachel was somewhat pointless, although it may have been due to the two actresses that played her.

The main problem I have with TDK was the too quick resolution of Dent's storyline. Other than that the film was outstanding.

I just find it so difficult to take Bale seriously with that ridiculous OTT Batgrowl. I understand the plot reasons for Wayne doing it, but it doesn't make it any less silly.

That said, I did enjoy TDK in the theater very much, but it's still on my "maybe" DVD/Blu list. Batman Begins was overrated, decent for one theater viewing.

Well if we're are talking about the entire film and not just the actors, the quality of the actual movie makes up for a weak score. I don't even notice the music because I'm so engrossed by the rest of the film.

It's very unoriginal. Take the original title and slap a different word onto it. I hope this is just a working title, and that Nolan changes his mind before release date.

In 2005, you saw Batman Begin.

In 2008, you saw Batman in the Dark.

In 2012, Warner Brothers invites you to see Batman...Rise.

It's very unoriginal. Take the original title and slap a different word onto it.

Batman Returns

Batman Forever

Batman & Robin

Batman Begins

Everything else related to Batman...

The Dark Knight was the first Batman film to not use Batman in the title. You can't really complain.