The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

I hate the designs of everything in these movies.

Did you look at all the Catwoman pics? If you loved the 1960s TV series, Nolan mostly used that template for Hathaway's Selina Kyle... which is very hot. The front pic of her on the EW cover isn't flattering at all.

And what didn't surprise is that WB will attach the final trailer for the movie on all releases of The Avengers (regular 3D, 2D, and IMAX 2D/3D). Not surprising since WB did the same thing for Nolan's past two movies on Marvel Studios releases.

I love how a lot of people like myself miss Don Davis in the composing ring. I too wish he would return to writing film scores. He'd probably blow Zimmer and other Media Ventures guys out of the water for the new stuff coming out.

I'm not surprised Zimmer basically copied one piece of music for The Dark Knight.

Have you guys forgotten what Horner did for The Search For Spock? :P

The more I think about it, the more I keep thinking about how perfect Davis would have been for the Nolan's Batman trilogy. Dammit, it sucks when the industry prevents such talent to really prosper! It really sucks about the Davis situation (as can be read about above). I hope the man can get a major gig soon!

The final viral marketing gimmick for TDKR has come, which resulted in participants finding trailer screens for the new, final trailer (it debuts this Friday on all prints for The Avengers):

http://www.comingsoo...stillslarge.jpg

I like the "Hope is Lost" and "Faith is Broken" taglines. Really gives the series closure.

The more I think about it, the more I keep thinking about how perfect Davis would have been for the Nolan's Batman trilogy. Dammit, it sucks when the industry prevents such talent to really prosper! It really sucks about the Davis situation (as can be read about above). I hope the man can get a major gig soon!

I don't think it would have mattered if Davis was still composing regularly or not.

I don't think it would have mattered if Davis was still composing regularly or not.

No, it wouldn't have. Even if Davis was composing regularly then, Nolan wouldn't have gone with them. But that doesn't change the fact that Davis would have been a great choice for the films.

We can only hope he lands a gig soon.

I hear Don is digging his occasional conducting gig with The Matrix Live. Although, I don't think there are many concerts in the pipeline this year...

I'd say it looks good but it's cut so rapidly you can't tell a damned thing.

Eh, pretty standard action trailer. But then again this franchise has never had very good trailers, so I am hopeful.

And cool to hear the chant that I contributed to. I expect to receive a screen credit. ;)

Call me crazy, but it sounds like this is all original music--whether for the trailer specifically, or selections from the score. Sounds like a pretty decent development of the previous material. We'll see how this goes.

Wow, looks awesome.

I'm genuinely curious why Bane apparently cripples Batman but lets him live. Also, is Joseph Gordon Levitt playing some kind of Nolan version of Robin? Bummer no sexy shots of Hathaway in full Catwoman gear. I can understand what Bane is saying this time. New vehicles look cool. I'm excited!

It's neat seeing Hines Ward scamper across the football field as it collapses behind him amid the explosions. I can see at least three other places where I know that I'm seeing Pittsburgh: JGL on the bridge beside the school bus, any scenes on the marble steps in front of one of CMU's buildings, and when the "not a car" takes off at the very end of the trailer, the letters "UPMC" are seen plain as day on the top side of the triangular USX tower that it flies over. I'm very puzzled why they kept those intact.

At Jay's genuine curiosity:

In the comic story arc "Knightfall" (from 93-94), Bane releases all the criminals from Arkham to weaken Batman so that he can defeat him, but he doesn't kill Batman when he breaks his back. Bane had deduced the Bat's secret identity after fighting him at Wayne Manor, and then throws him from a rooftop to show Gotham how he defeated Batman, but no, he doesn't kill him. I guess he assumes that Wayne would be crippled and no longer a threat. Wayne retires from being Batman as he recuperates, and he hand selects Azrael to be the next Batman, instead of the more younger, more revenge-oriented Robin or Nightwing. Bruce leaves the country, leaving them all instructions to not fight Bane, and Azrael becomes a very bad, violent Batman that even the villains know isn't the "real" dark knight. Eventually, Azrael defeats Bane, who is arrested and taken to Blackgate. Batman returns to live a civilian life, but realizes he has to confront Azrael and stop him, which he does and then goes back to being Batman.

What's the problem with that storyline? Way too many characters to introduce in the final act. Nolan's Batman needs no Robin. I still don't understand why Bane would let Batman live.

I bet that either Bruce or Alfred will die, or both, and JGL becomes Batman.

Excellent trailer. I was hoping the third trailer would focus a bit more on Hathaway's Catwoman, but all her new scenes and dialogue are fantastic. I know some people didn't like it, but I loved that last scene between Batman and Catwoman in the Bat:

"My mother warned about getting into cars with strange men."

"This isn't a car."

*flies off*

That was a great scene ruined by Bale's Bat-voice. It's too-much, I was hoping he'd tone it down

Well, the new Dark Knight Trailer is out:

So tempting. But I'll wait to see it with the Avengers. Assuming the trailer will play with The Avengers at my local theater.

That was a great scene ruined by Bale's Bat-voice. It's too-much, I was hoping he'd tone it down

At this point, there'd be no point. Two movies have been ruined by his voice, why "save" the third?

He sounds more toned-down altogether in TDKR. His Bat-voice was much too growly in TDK.

Right, and in that scene at the end of this trailer it was even growly-er!

at least you can understand Batman, Bane's voice is even more annoying.

I thought Bane's voice was actually easy to understand this time, compared to the prologue

I never watched the prologue, but I haven't had any trouble understanding Bane in any of the trailers. As to the Batvoice, I seem to recall reading that they did some digital effects on Bale's voice for TDK. I recall his voice in Begins being a bit more under control. I absolutely freakin' love "Do I look like a cop?"

Bale doesn't have a good voice for Batman to begin with. Compare to Keaton, the classic animated series dude and even Adam West in the context of that universe. Just awesome. Even if he wasn't doing that lisping strep throat thing, I don't think he could find a way to generate a good Bat voice.

Bale doesn't have a good voice for Batman to begin with. Compare to Keaton, the classic animated series dude and even Adam West in the context of that universe. Just awesome. Even if he wasn't doing that lisping strep throat thing, I don't think he could find a way to generate a good Bat voice.

Keaton, Kilmer, and Clooney didn't even try to make their Batman voices different than Bruce Wayne's, which is worse than even trying too hard. Kevin Conroy (the voice actor you mentioned) nailed the dual tones of the character to a T.

I've never had any nor understood the issues many have with Bale's Batman voice.I wonder it that has anything to do with the fact English is not my native language. I find his voice either natural or as Batman absolutely fine.

Are you going to Kraków this year btw?

Karol

Unfortunately, I am not. I would love to meet Goldenthal and attend his concerts, but instead I am going to UK for a wedding of my cousin. :|

That's too bad... Maybe you can persuade your cousin not to marry then? You'll save him/her a lot of grief in life and you'll get a chance to be there. It's a win-win situation.

It's exaggerated, as anything on the internet.

I think you're exaggerating.

Smart kid.

Karol

That's too bad... Maybe you can persuade your cousin not to marry then? You'll save him/her a lot of grief in life and you'll get a chance to be there. It's a win-win situation.

So far her (future) marriage has brought me a lot of grief (for my eventual absence in Kraków), therefore I hope it's going to be a happy marriage then. Otherwise I'll be very annoyed. :P

My two cents on the trailer. I personally loved it, and it really has me excited for the film. My only issue is that final shot/sequence with the yet again improved batmobile (or whatever it is). The way the punch line was delivered and way the whole thing played, it seemed much more like something that you'd find in the Marvel universe instead of Nolan's films. But other than that, it was epic!

Also, while I at first did not like the Bat voice, I think people are really blowing the issue out of proportions. It's perfectly fine and pretty realistic too. When you have a movie with big expectations, people will complain about anything.

Like the trailer.

I'm watching Batman Begins at the moment. Does anyone else think these two movies are a bit geographically and aesthetically inconsistent? In the first film, we've got that slum island section of Gotham and that CGI railway system, but that's all gone in the second film. Looks like there's still a bit of a fantasy element in BB, but TDK eliminates those with no evidence of their existence.

Keaton, Kilmer, and Clooney didn't even try to make their Batman voices different than Bruce Wayne's, which is worse than even trying too hard. Kevin Conroy (the voice actor you mentioned) nailed the dual tones of the character to a T.

Diedrich Bader makes a decent Batman voice too.

Like the trailer.

I'm watching Batman Begins at the moment. Does anyone else think these two movies are a bit geographically and aesthetically inconsistent? In the first film, we've got that slum island section of Gotham and that CGI railway system, but that's all gone in the second film. Looks like there's still a bit of a fantasy element in BB, but TDK eliminates those with no evidence of their existence.

hence

You're totally right, but that really doesn't bother me at all. Actually, I have never been fond of BB and keep forgeting it's the same universe that is in TDK.

Like the trailer.

Yep, I noticed that too... interestingly not really the first time I watched Dark Knight. I do miss the more fantastic version of Gotham, though; it shouldn't be like every other American City IMO

Like the trailer.

That's not exactly the case. The monorail actually is in TDK in a few wide shots of Gotham, but it's more of a cameo. The Narrows isn't there because it was all but destroyed in Begins. The mainland of Gotham, which in both films is essentially Chicago, is the same between the films, even though there are some stylistic differences with the cinematography and other things. I don't think it's accurate at all to say that there are no sci-fi or fantasy elements in TDK when we're talking about a film with a guy in a bat-suit, Two-Face, and a giant sonar machine.

Like the trailer.

That's not exactly the case. The monorail actually is in TDK in a few wide shots of Gotham, but it's more of a cameo. The Narrows isn't there because it was all but destroyed in Begins. The mainland of Gotham, which in both films is essentially Chicago, is the same between the films, even though there are some stylistic differences with the cinematography and other things. I don't think it's accurate at all to say that there are no sci-fi or fantasy elements in TDK when we're talking about a film with a guy in a bat-suit, Two-Face, and a giant sonar machine.

Each one has its own conscious deviations from reality, in the form of gadgets etc. TDKR is going to have a cool one, by the way ;) The setting is the same with different colour palettes (orange, blue, white).

• 3 weeks later...