The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

Batman Returns is a brilliant movie

Wait... what? I've seen this movie several times -- and while it has several terrific scenes, the movie is just ridiculous. Michelle Pfeiffer was a great, if more deranged Catwoman than in the comics -- but even she fell victim to the ridiculous plot at times.

If I have to choose between Burton's Batman films, I prefer the first one. It reeked of studio interference, but I thought it embodied the character and universe well in places. Batman Returns was a completely different movie, and not the good kind. It felt like a Tim Burton film with Batman characters in it, as opposed to a Batman universe interpreted by Burton.

Anyone else see the prologue? Saw it in an IMAX theatre today, I think I made out 3 words that Bane said. Is this definitely his final voice? I really liked the way it sounded, but couldn't understand it at all. Maybe they still have some tweaking to do on the dialogue recordings.

I could understand Bane fine, but yea I hope he doesn't talk like that the whole movie

There's only three people that should be allowed to speak through a tinny mask and be taken seriously. James Earl Jones, Morgan Freeman, and Christopher Walken.

Very ominous trailer. Strong in a way that a lot of action-packed trailers aren't. It focuses on setting and characters, and almost doesn't feel like a Batman trailer until the end.

I personally felt the trailer was very well conceived and it sure as hell makes me excited for the film. Like Red Rabbit was saying, its not like most trailers for action films. And in that regard, its very intelligently crafted. Love it! Can't wait for this movie!

Just submitted one of those chant thingies. Pretty neat idea. Is Eric Whitacre working on this film? Because he did something similar with a virtual choir, and I know he worked on PotC 4. I wonder if this was his influence.

I'm sure that last thing was completely intentional. As a tribute to all the expressionist silent movie era, it conveys the mood and look of those. The snow gives the film almost a black & white look. The music contributes to that too.

That's why I like it so much.

The stadium scene is a good idea, but the CGI just feels unfinished and tacky. I had no problem discerning Bane's voice (which I think Nolan will fix in ADR sessions).

But the highlight is Anne Hathaway. Even in two scenes, she's impressive. Nolan made a solid choice for the new Selina Kyle.

Uh oh, people are going to complain about Bane's voice as much as they did about Bale's voice.

lol I like Bane's voice, and upon reading Nolan saying it's not changing, I'll get over not being able to understand every word.

On the subject of Bale's voice, it doesn't bother me at all. Don't understand the criticism, actually.

Uh oh, people are going to complain about Bane's voice as much as they did about Bale's voice.

lol I like Bane's voice, and upon reading Nolan saying it's not changing, I'll get over not being able to understand every word.

Good, it's sounds awesome enough as it is.

When I was at the movie theater last night I saw this cool poster for The Dark Knight Rises that I haven't seen posted here

darkknightrisesfinal.jpg

TDKR's trailer is quite a different ball game from TDK's first theatrical trailer. TDK focused on what everyone was waiting for: The Joker. They shoved him in our faces, and we swallowed him up whole, and everyone was happy. Glad to see that they didn't do the same with Bane; movie audiences aren't exactly clamouring for him. This trailer gives us more of the "grand picture", and I'm VERY intrigued by what I see. They produced the mysterious vibe quite well!

This does not look as good as the previous two. The most jarring thing about this trailer is the abundance of broad daylight and the lack of Batman himself.

Batman is left on the run at the end of TDK. Showing him returned as Batman in the trailer would veer into spoiler territory.

Perhaps. I'd forgotten how TDK ended. You might have a point.

I suppose I'm just reminded of the fact that I didn't really like how they did that to the character at the end of the last movie.

Yes, because of the constant pain from whatever happened, he receives a steady dose of anesthetic through the mask, thus making him at least partially impervious to pain.

James Earl Jones anyone? :whistle:

Anyways it looks interesting and yeah I can barely understand Bane but I'm getting older and my hearing isn't what it once was... :lol:

I'm only 30 and I feel I'm in the same boat. My hearing isn't great either. I couldn't understand half of what was said in Sherlock Holmes (the first one, haven't seen #2) and I know I missed a lot of the subtle dialogue in the Harry Potter movies.

Am I just biased against movies with heavy amounts of British accents? Maybe. Or maybe movie theaters need to invest more in making movies understandable for deaf and hard-of-hearing people more than they need to invest in 3D technology.

I'm only 30 and I feel I'm in the same boat. My hearing isn't great either. I couldn't understand half of what was said in Sherlock Holmes (the first one, haven't seen #2) and I know I missed a lot of the subtle dialogue in the Harry Potter movies.

Am I just biased against movies with heavy amounts of British accents? Maybe. Or maybe movie theaters need to invest more in making movies understandable for deaf and hard-of-hearing people more than they need to invest in 3D technology.

I went to see The Immortals last week and it was the first time in a cinema since I saw Air Force One where the sound was so loud, it was unbearable. Luckily, I had my earplugs with me (I never leave home without them these days), so I could block out the really harsh noise. It's really evidence of a poorly calibrated sound system if it's emitting so much distortion, the more sensitive audience members have to resort to blocking their ears (this is a reason why I avoid night clubs, dance floors and concerts). The 3-D was bad too.

As for the accents, have you seen Snatch?

Hey you stole my Quint destroying the planet avatar I made!

Stole? You lost it. I rediscovered it on my hard drive -- OCD saves everything that looks cool or could be used again later -- but I wasn't quite sure that you realized that I had posted it since it never appeared in your sig. Now I'm certain. :santa: