Complete Cue List: The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Jay

At first, I assumed that the segue was supposed to happen like that, too...but I tried it, and it sounds weird because of the chords involved. Then I realized that "Corporate Choppers" ends in the middle of a measure, which isn't how Williams usually does immediate segues. But the real clincher is that the tracked music in the film starts right at the moment I think "The Round Up" would have started - that imaginary downbeat of the next measure. I'm wondering if Williams was going to purposely leave that moment music-less because of the sound of the Jeeps, and then when the other music was tracked in instead, they just kept the timing of it.

As for "Fire at Camp", it is indeed complete in the film, though the beginning is virtually impossible to hear. The first note I can hear is the horns, but there are actually three beats of low string stuff leading up to that. It's a pity the jungle sounds are mixed so loud compared to the score.

I'm enjoying your track by track investigation Data. Looking forward to reading about Spilling Petrol, Horning In, and Up In A Basket ;)

Actually, it wasn't used in the unused part - it should be playing a few quick notes around 39:52 or so in the DVD, right after that low plunging gliss in the strings and woodwinds...I can't hear a thing besides the chord that plays through that part, though. Oh well.

Oh, and Jay, it's actually just measures 11-17 (not 18) that are missing. ;)

;)

I'm slowly but surely working my way through those missing bars of "Big Feet"...my computer situation is complicated right now, so I've only got Finale on a really slow laptop, but I'm plodding my way through... ;) Very eerie, understated music.

Okay, never mind, it's just 11-15 missing. ;)

Aaaaaaaaaand there's the mockup of those measures.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UKSYEBCZ

It starts with the four-note theme heard in the film, for your convenience - the unused stuff starts after that. Then immediately after the end of the mockup, the DVD rip resumes at about 39:42, with that different string chord.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but for my edit, I'm undoing what seems to be a fade-in at the beginning of "The Round Up." There's nothing in the sheet music to indicate a crescendo or fade-in, and both of those are typically included in the sheet music. It also wouldn't make much musical sense in that scene. Sounds better just starting off strong.

Least but probably not last, I think it's cool that both Jurassic Park and its sequel each have a cue called "To the Island." ;)

I haven't been keeping 100% up to date with this thread and I don't really have the time to scan through the film with the music, if someone could point out one or two spots with missing measure numbers I could make some mock-ups this weekend, I may have some free time on Sunday.

Joe C,

So the way that "The Hunt" starts on the album with the fade-in is just made up for the album? Weird. Have you tried syncing the non-faded full cue with the film starting on that shot of the jeeps going over the hill to see how it works?

Joe B,

Here's a list of the cues that should have music not in the film OR OST:

09 5m2 Big Feet - 1:05 - Bars 11-15 not heard in film (Joe C has already posted a mockup of this)

10 5m3/6m1 Spilling Petrol - 2:19+ - A huge portion of this cue is not in film at all, as the sequence where they actually spill the petrol was dropped from the final cut

13 6m2/7m1 Part II Up In A Basket - ?:?? - This entire cue was dropped from the film

16 8m3 Reading The Map / - 1:22+ - Unknown bars may be missing from the film

20 10m1 Rialto Ripples - 5:20+ - Unknown bars may be missing from the film

24 11m3/12m1 High Bar and Ceiling Tiles - 3:55+ - The end of the cue was replaced by "The Lost World" in the final film

26 12m3 Ludlow's Speech - 2:00+ - Unknown bars may be missing from the film

28 12m5 Monster On The Loose - 2:13+ - Original version of the T Rex's escape from Ingen's compound is replaced by tracked music in the final film

32 14m2 The Saving Dart / - 2:23+ - Original finale after the piano version of the main theme doesn't appear in the film or on the OST (Good Musician has already posted a mockup of this)

If someone wants to post the exact bars in question from the cuesI haven't listed them, please do so!

So the way that "The Hunt" starts on the album with the fade-in is just made up for the album? Weird. Have you tried syncing the non-faded full cue with the film starting on that shot of the jeeps going over the hill to see how it works?

I suspect the fade-in was done just for the album, yes, but I'm not positive. I just listened to it lined up with the film, and as far as length goes, it lines up pretty well. Not so sure about how the music fits the picture, though. I must admit, although it's a great cue, I think they were right to replace it with tracked music. It just doesn't capture the feeling of the scene very well, at least the way it plays in the final cut.

Yea, its possible the sequence had a different feel and tone when Williams scored it, then they completely reworked it. Who knows.

So you confirmed that Up In A Basket Part I plays complete and intact in the film as intended?

Does the never before heard music from Spilling Petrol look interesting?

Oh crap, I forgot there are recordings of the theme park ride for some of the never-before-heard music:

07 4m2 Corporate Choppers - 1:46+ -

10 5m3/6m1 Spilling Petrol - 2:19+ -

16 8m3 Reading The Map / - 1:22+ -

You forgot the second half of

14 7m2/8m1 Pain of Glass

and

08 4m3/5m1 The Round Up (Full Percussion Mix)

Also, I think the reason big feet had some changes to it is because the sequence of events got cut backwards to how it was origianlly.

If you look, in the film you have Roland call for Burke to ask what the footprint is. If you look where Burke is, he's standing next to Dieter.

Then he says it the rex footprint, we see Roland collecting his stuff and walking away, Ludlow steps into the print and then we see Dieter cooling down. Burke runs up when the Compy appears and is now where he was in position a few moments ago. The sequence got shifted so the music got recut. That piece esppecially with the sliding glissando of the strings reminds me of the Compy music later in the film

Ah, so all of Pain Of Glass is not heard in the final film?

I gotta check out that extra percussion version of The Hunt!

I thought it was sorry, i'm poping in and out of this thread. I'm trying to make a PDF of a complete break down of everything. I've been studying this score for years so lol... I may help illuminate some further things lol

Be sure to check out the very first post of this thread, I've been consistently updating it with the latest information.

Thanks for posting your findings about all this, gents! I'm still going through and double-checking everything for myself because I'm anal like that, but it's enormously helpful to have you guys' analyses to guide me.

Got the first section of "Up in a Basket Part II" done, BTW. Lots of groovin' jungle percussion, with punctuated blasts of brass (all on the same note) and a growing cacophony of random notes in the horns and strings. I haven't done anything at all with part I yet, though, Jay - I just knew I was going to be bored down on campus for about three hours today with nothing to do, and I wanted to get to work on a cue that would be mostly or all based on synth mockups, and part II jumped out at me. In my edit itself, I've only done everything up through "Big Feet" (minus "Corporate Choppers", because I was waiting for GoodMusician's recordings, and which I'll get started on tonight).

Oh, sweet! Right you are.

Interesting how much material was cut out of "Corporate Choppers." It's a repetitive cue, so it's not like they did a great disservice to the music or anything, but I do wonder what those passages would have scored.

I tried to track it to the film and found that most of what got cut was because they fade in late and what seems to be msising is some sort of landing/launching sequence of the cars. It's only a few seconds but it would be a shot before the cars drive through the field.

FYI, for folks who are doing or have done edits of this score, there's a part of "Horning In" that is note-for-note identical to the part of the track "Rescuing Sarah" that starts around 2:13. Obviously, it's not the exact same performance, but considering how loud the SFX are in that part of the DVD rip, I think it makes sense to just use the clean and virtually identical passage from the CD. I mean, seriously, they literally just pasted in a photocopy of that part of the score (and wrote in the percussion instead of repeat signs).

LOL they legit just photocopied bars from another cue? Thats weird. I wonder if he wrote something original before it got copied over?

I want to see this in the sheet music. What bars from Truck Stop are the ones pasted into what bars of Horning In?

I've seen it happen before. Sometimes it's from a previous version of a cue, sometimes it's just from another cue altogether. Obviously, it's hard to know for sure, but my guess is that in 99% of these cases, Williams just lacked the time or desire to write something different, so he either copies it over in his sketches or just indicates that those bars are to be taken from whatever other cue. (IIRC, the term for this is come sopra or C.S., followed by an indication of which measures are to be copied.)

Anyway, if you want to see it for yourself, compare bars 8-20 of "Horning In" to bars 110-122 of "Truck Stop." Exact same handwriting and everything. You can also see the edges of the copied region on each page - they probably just taped the copied section over that part of the page.

EDIT: Also note that the part immediately after that (bars 21 and 22) are sorta based on bars 130-132 of "Truck Stop." I consider that further evidence that "Horning In" was written quickly, perhaps at the last minute.

Anyway, I've had great success looping percussion from "Truck Stop" and adding the "Horning In" horn rips from the DVD rip. I modified some low brass from the HPSS recording sessions and threw that in there (it was edited out of the film anyway), and now I just have to either find or mockup a combo of random woodwind ad libbing plus violins screeching behind their bridges. Easy, right? :lol: Then I just used the punctuated tutti chords for "Truck Stop", too, and the rest of the cue will use the DVD rip.

Wow, that sounds interesting! It will be great to hear the music without all the sound effects so prevalent in that cue

Yup! It's not..."authentic", so to speak, because most of the stuff in that part of my edit isn't taken at all from the actual recording of that cue, of course. But the musical content is the same, and the listening experience is so much more enjoyable, so I won't lose any sleep over it. :P

BTW, GoodMusician has got me hooked on MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab. Great piece of software that I definitely recommend to anyone who'd like to be able to get rid of some of those nasty SFX that plague DVD rips. Maybe y'all have got something better already...I was using Audacity, which is great for editing, but it's pretty limited its ability to remove unwanted intrusions in an audio signal. MAGIX is pretty good at that, at least under the right circumstances. I've been getting rid of a lot of dinosaur roars. :lol: Just leaves behind a little bit of a quiet buzzing sound.

Okay, "Up in a Basket Part I" is definitely not complete in the film. Only the first 21 measures (out of 66) are used in the film, though those 21 measures are completely intact. I find it interesting how even after Jurassic Park demonstrated the chilling effectiveness of a scary T-rex scene with no music whatsoever, Williams wrote a two-part action cue to accompany a similar scene in the sequel...most of which was then cut anyway.

Oh, also...me and the Wikipedia article about the TLW score are going to have some real quality time together...real soon. I'm considering a rewrite from scratch. No offense to anyone who contributed to it, but I see very little in it that's salvageable - especially but not exclusively because of all the information provided by the sheet music. This is gonna be fun.

None taken (i am nearly the sole writer of that article lol)

THe only issue is you have to have the PDF posted somewhere... JWFan or maybe even JPL could do an article talking about what you're saying or they'll pull your research

Haha, I'm glad I included the "no offense" disclaimer. :cool: And yeah, it's possible the "original research" will get pulled, but on relatively minor articles like this, it doesn't happen so much. I did a similar rewrite of the first score's Wiki article, and the full cue list is continuing to survive. So I have hope. :lol:

I've begun work on my mockup of the unreleased two-thirds of "Up in a Basket Part I." The mockup will contain the music that would have started right as the T-rex roars in the distance. Everything up till that point is in the film, and everything after it is missing, so it should be pretty easy to edit in. :P

Also, my "extensive re-write" of the Wiki article is finished. Don't kill me, GoodMusician. lol

Nice work on the wiki

I need to majorly rewrite the first post of this thread when I have a chance

About how long should each part of Up In A Basket be in complete form?

I wont', but i warn you, be sure to cite it. We had MASSIVE fights with them when JPL tried to re-write almost all the JP articles

Oy, haha...yeah, if it turns into an edit war, I'll just let them have their way, as it's not THAT important to me. Obviously, it'd be great if all this information were easily and legally available to everyone so we could properly cite it, but it's not, so...if people want to remove it, whatever. :lol: [EDIT: I'll put something on the discussion page about it, though.]

Nice work on the wiki

I need to majorly rewrite the first post of this thread when I have a chance

About how long should each part of Up In A Basket be in complete form?

Thanks. :P I'm not sure about the length of part 1 yet - that'll have to wait till I'm finished with the mockup. Only about a third of it is in the film, though. As for part 2, GoodMusician recorded nearly the full cue at Universal, and I believe the length of that recording is 2:17. My final edit of the track will probably be 2:26 or so.

Also, the unused part of part 1 is weird. Really weird. But in a score like this...that's not that weird. :)

Isn't the elegant dinosaur theme from JP hinted at the first seconds of "Hammond's Plan"? I'm talking about the OST, of that little flute solo.

And I remember hearing the original Carnivore Motif somewhere here...

Yeah, it does sort of...weasel its way around the theme, almost playing that melody, but then not. It's pretty cool, actually.

As for the original carnivore motif, I guess it's possible it crops up in a part of the unreleased music that I haven't done much with yet. If that's the case, I hope someone will correct the article - and I most certainly will if I find that to be the case. I don't remember hearing it anywhere in the film, though.

The elegant park motif and the triumphant park motif are both used in a diminished form in "Hammond's Plans." It moves around as if it were a version of that cue. The intervals are backwards at times.

Then you have the full statmenet at the end of the cue, you have the usage of the JP theme when Ludlow mentions hammond's dream during "the trek," and you have it mentioned when Ludlow talks about JP: San Diego in the "Spilling Petrol." Theres also a statement in "Finding Camp Jurassic" that is almost an identical but quiter rendition of "Jurassic Park Gate" with the cue ending with another statement.

And the Carnivore motif is used in the strings in the unused part of "Up the Basket" if i'm not mistaken. They do triplets around it but do accents on the first notes illustrating the motif.

You also have the Carnivore motif used when they mention the raptors in "Reading the Map"

Great work guys! I just wish I was musically literate so I could explore the scores. You have unearthed interesting details about the music, instrumentation and orchestration. I checked out the Wikipedia article and it is coming on well Joe. :lol: