Complete Cue List: The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Jay

Sorry if this has already been dealt with, but in the cue 'Raptors Appear' there's no Shakuhachi (which is present in the film and CD release of the film) notated in the score for the menacing intro - just the Synth Pad, Synth 'animal voice', Log Drums, Tablas and Celli. Do you think Masakazu Yoshizawa ad libbed this part at the last minute?

Oh yeah, true.

EDIT: Okay, here's my "Rialto Ripples" partial mockup. The beginning you just take from the OST track "Ludlow's Demise", all the way through that quiet drum beat. The downbeat of the mockup replaces the entrance of the orchestra (taken from the cue "Ludlow's End"). Let the mockup play all the way through, and then right after that, the DVD rip comes in with the brass and woodwinds.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JBSCR4E1

Just listened to both your recent mockups Joe. Great work! Can't wait to hear everything, all put together :)

Thanks, guys! ;)

This is but a tiny piece of the puzzle, but if anyone needs a clean beginning to "Heading North", here ya go. ;) I re-created the first note in Finale and edited it into what you hear on the OST. In cases like these, Finale's Garritan sounds can be really convincing - if I were just listening to this casually, I probably would never guess that the first note wasn't real.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WSO16N25

Also, just FYI, Williams wrote music that would have continued all the way through the boat crashing into the dock, I think. It was dialed out of the film. It's a gradual, stuttering build that gets faster and faster and louder and louder. I'll do a mockup and post it when it's done.

So if Ludlow's Speech was written to cover the boat crashing, and Monster On The Loose begin's with the T Rex emerging from the cargo hold, what the heck is Wompi's Wrench supposed to underscore?

Everything in between. Finding the remains of the crew, opening the cargo hold, etc. In fact, it may be that "Ludlow's Speech" was supposed to segue directly into "Wompi's Wrench", and it may be that "Wompi's Wrench" was supposed to segue directly into "Monster on the Loose." I haven't figured out the timing yet - there's a long accelerando in "Wompi's Wrench" that I'll need to play around with - but I suspect this may have been the case. This could end up being another long track if all the proper segues are included.

Sweet, my guess was right ;)

So you're saying its hard to tell how long the cue is, because of that?

Also I think i tried getting Wompi's Wrench to sync to the film and could never get it right. Of course, its possible the film was edited after scoring

Yeah, it's a little easier to sync a mockup to the film if it's just a constant tempo all the way through. The accelerando is another variable to throw things off. But I'll play around with it and try to get something that sounds musically "correct" and more or less fits the film. As you said, the film does get edited after scoring, so you can never be too sure. I got "Wompi's Wrench" to sorta sync up...you want the first trombone blast to be right around when they find the remains of the crew.

WOMPI can stand for "Women of the Motion Picture Industry."

A wrench is more than just a tool for twisting bolts. It is also a violent twisting; a sharp twist or sudden jerk straining muscles or ligaments; the resultant injury (as of a joint); a distorting or perverting alteration; acute emotional distress; sudden violent mental change.

Do any women in the movie suffer painful violent twisting injuries? What about the T-Rex itself, did they bring the bull or the mother to San Diego?

Maybe. :|

Here's the end of "Ludlow's Speech." I've got it so that it fits the length of the scene pretty well. It would have either segued directly into "Wompi's Wrench" or been followed by it very shortly after. I think I'll edit them together just for the heck of it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5A7E7N9C

In the final cut of the film, the cue ends with a single unison note, right as the drums cut off. That's the downbeat of a measure, and then the first note of the mockup is the downbeat of the next measure. So there should be equal spacing (in terms of time) between the "thumps." Basically, just line up the silent beginning of the mockup with the last note heard in the DVD rip.

EDIT: Man, it's even less certain what to do with the transition from "Wompi's Wrench" into "Monster on the Loose." The end of "Wompi's Wrench" is marked "repeat for fade", but it doesn't fade out on the OST...and then the beginning of "Monster on the Loose" has an optional repeat, but in the film, it doesn't repeat, and the two bars after it are cut, too. Because of the lengths of the cues, there's got to be SOME overlap, but I don't know if the first note of "Monster on the Loose" is supposed to sync up with the last trombone blast of "Wompi's Wrench" or if it's supposed to come in a moment later, continuing the rhythm that's been established. I think I'm gonna go with the latter. It seems more musical, and it fits the timing of the final cut of the film better...if you ignore the missing bars and optional repeat...

Gah, I wish we had Williams' sketches, too...that'd clear everything up! :)

Do any women in the movie suffer painful violent twisting injuries? What about the T-Rex itself, did they bring the bull or the mother to San Diego?

It was the father. This is Spielberg we're talking about!

All the best directors have daddy issues.

Great job with these pieces Joe! Keep 'em coming! :mrgreen:

Great job with these pieces Joe! Keep 'em coming! :)

Thanks! That's actually the last of 'em, though. I finished the "rough draft" of my edit last night, and now I just have to go through and "proof read" it for any issues I missed the first time through. I'll probably do that tonight or tomorrow so I have a little time cleanse my palate, as it were.

Great job with these pieces Joe! Keep 'em coming! :)

Thanks! That's actually the last of 'em, though. I finished the "rough draft" of my edit last night, and now I just have to go through and "proof read" it for any issues I missed the first time through. I'll probably do that tonight or tomorrow so I have a little time cleanse my palate, as it were.

is this a personal edit or will you share it with people. just asking, i love this score

JWfan. :)

so whats the name of your youtube account? datameister? or something else?

EDIT: oh your 1taken the piano guy right?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Datameister, with your newfound skills of cleaning up certain sfx from tracks, is there anything you can do about the voiceover on the Great Performances Theme?

Maybe that's why Williams never has been fired off of a project. He anticipates the needs of a director so well that they couldn't/wouldn't fire him because before they can say something, he's alreday made an alternate or said "try this instead."

No, they don't fire him because he's a 5, 4, or 3-times Oscar winning composer (depending on when the movie was made) and because he writes great music that fits the movie.

Hey Datameister, with your newfound skills of cleaning up certain sfx from tracks, is there anything you can do about the voiceover on the Great Performances Theme?

Mmmm, I haven't heard that recording, but MAGIX generally can't do much about sustained vocal intrusions. Audacity's Vocal Remover effect might be able to get the job done, but the sound quality would most likely suffer...

um, under wompi's wrench it says: "The Compy's Dine [2:47 - 2:47]"

why does it say 2:47 twice, shouldn't it say [2:47 - End]?

Fixed!

I wonder what the shortest cue John Williams ever composed was? Probably "Go Pack Your Suitcase" from Home Alone (7 seconds)

TOD's "Snowbank Sweetener", I'll bet. ;) Just a quick rush of percussion and harp.

By the way, I'm in the process of uploading my edit to YouTube so those of you who are interested can take a listen. I'll post a link when it's all done. Just...please do me a favor and don't PM me with lots of download requests. :)

TOD's "Snowbank Sweetener", I'll bet. ;) Just a quick rush of percussion and harp.

"5m3 Intro" from Last Crusade is very short as well

I like having MIDI files of pieces I really enjoy so I can follow the notes and it also helps me to play them on the piano or arrange them in my own way.

And what do you mean with already available? Did I miss 'em? :o

I like having MIDI files of pieces I really enjoy so I can follow the notes and it also helps me to play them on the piano or arrange them in my own way.

And what do you mean with already available? Did I miss 'em? :o

i think what he means is that they are already on the soundtrack