La-La Land Announces Batman Returns (Complete)

Ollie

Yes it's deserving of its own thread.

http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=0

BATMAN RETURNS: LIMITED EDITION (2CD-SET) LLLCD 1153

Music by Danny Elfman

Limited Edition of 3500 Units

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

La-La Land's Expanded Archival Collection returns to Gotham for this 2CD remastered and expanded presentation of Danny Elfman's magnificent score to the 1992 Warner Bros. motion picture blockbuster BATMAN RETURNS, starring Michael Keaton, Michelle Pfeiffer and Danny DeVito, directed by Tim Burton. Composer Elfman (BATMAN, MARS ATTACKS, WANTED, ALICE IN WONDERLAND) revisits his iconic theme and expertly weaves it into a sumptuous musical experience, bringing to life the film's breathtaking action and rich emotional and psychological underpinnings. Produced by Neil S. Bulk, Dan Goldwasser and MV Gerhard and mastered by James Nelson from Shawn Murphy's first generation three-track digital mixes, this limited edition release features more than 30 minutes of previously unreleased music, including alternate cues. The in-depth, exclusive liner notes are by John Takis and the art direction is by David C. Fein. This release is limited to 3500 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

Disc One: Total Time: 68:08

1. Birth of a Penguin/Main Title (5:38)

2. Penguin Spies* (1:09)

3. Shadow of Doom*/Clown Attack*/Introducing the Bat** (5:01)

4. Intro*/The Zoo**/The Lair (6:00)

5. Caught in the Act*/Uh-Oh Max* (1:58)

6. Kitty Party*/Selina Transforms** (5:30)

7. Penguin's Grand Deed* (1:50)

8. The List Begins* (:45)

9. The Cemetery (2:56)

10. Catwoman Saves Joan*/The New Woman* (2:03)

11. Penguin's Surprise (1:43)

12. Bad, Bad Dog**/Batman vs. Circus/Selina's Shopping Spree** (5:42)

13. Cat Chase** (2:12)

14. Candidate Cobblepot* (:58)

15. The Plan*/Kidnapping* (2:32)

16. Sore Spots/Batman's Closet* (3:22)

17. The Plot Unfolds* (1:15)

18. Roof Top Encounters** (4:49)

19. Batman's Wild Ride** (4:19)

20. Fall From Grace** (4:17)

21. Revealed*/Party Crasher* (3:18)

Disc Two: Total Time: 71:27

1. Umbrella Source/The Children's Hour/War** (7:53)

2. Final Confrontation**/Finale (9:15)

3. A Shadow of Doubt**/End Credits** (6:15)

4. Face to Face (4:18) - performed by Siouxsie and the Banshees

ALTERNATE AND ALBUM CUES:

5. The Zoo (alternate)** (1:00)

6. The List Begins (alternate)* (:45)

7. Cat Chase (alternate ending)** (2:13)

8. Roof Top Encounters (original)** (4:49)

9. Fall From Grace (alternate ending)** (4:17)

10. The Lair, Part I (:57)

11. The Lair, Part II (4:51)

12. Selina Transforms, Part I (1:12)

13. Selina Transforms, Part II (4:15)

14. Batman vs. The Circus (2:35)

15. Cat Suite (5:43)

16. A Shadow of Doubt (alternate)**/End Credits (alternate) (7:02)

BONUS TRACK:

17. Super Freak* (3:23) - composed by Rick James and Alonzo Miller

* previously unreleased

** contains previously unreleased material

Album Total Running Time: 139:35

Any word yet on the sound quality? Will there be clipping and compression artifacts?

Can anyone post a wave form?

Somekind of pre-release wave form mock-up that calculates the most pessimistic and worst possibilities?

By the way gentlemen, I was assured by someone who wishes to be remain anonymous that the elements for Batman Returns didn't suffer the same fate as Batman did. The quality and that for Batman Returns is stellar.

It's a great score, but I think even the existing CD is slightly too long (some of the action music wears you out after a while), so I'm not interested in this. However, isn't this part of the Elfman box? If so, how did they sort out the rights issues etc.?

To put it in proper perspective: For many older fans the magical era was in the 70's. You know, Star Wars, Jaws etc. For me, this kind of thing happened around 1992. Jurassic Park, Hook, Batman Returns. These scores made we want to listen to film music. The older ones came later. So this particular one has a very personal meaning to me. I remember renting the VHS 30 times, just to listen to this wonderful music. Besides, there were some interesting bits missing from the original OST. And it needed a proper re-mastering. So there you go!

Karol

I'm not sure if I want this one.

Got La La's Batman and thought it was great, but I've been told Returns is quite different.

I'll have to mull over the eventual samples before deciding.

Think this will last until after the holidays?

To put it in proper perspective: For many older fans the magical era was in the 70's. You know, Star Wars, Jaws etc. For me, this kind of thing happened around 1992. Jurassic Park, Hook, Batman Returns. These scores made we want to listen to film music. The older ones came later. So this particular one has a very personal meaning to me. I remember renting the VHS 30 times, just to listen to this wonderful music. Besides, there were some interesting bits missing from the original OST. And it needed a proper re-mastering. So there you go!

Karol

That make sense for me :mellow:

I thought MV Gerhard had posted on FSM, after Batman was released, that the elements for BR were in much better shape.

You are correct. He said it sounded absolutely amazing.

I thought MV Gerhard had posted on FSM, after Batman was released, that the elements for BR were in much better shape.

You are correct. I remember he stated the music sounds amazing.

Demondm810 is correct. Also another person who worked on the CD itself told me in private that the elements were in much better condition than for Batman. He said Batman Returns sounds quite awesome.

While this is one of my favorite Elfman scores if not my favorite, it's not something that is essential to have complete. I can actually kind of agree with those content with the original CD. The complete score is so wild, unrelenting and borderline obnoxious. Even in the movie, all that crazy bombastic circusy typical Elfman music of the era kind of overstays its welcome. I think he complained at the time that his music was turned down or hated the sound mix. I think maybe he could have restrained himself a bit.

I remember putting a good bit of work into stitching together the split tracks on the OST into single tracks...about eight months ago when I bought it. It hasn't grown on me the way Batman did.

And I say that lightly as someone who -- guess what -- has ripped but never listened to his LLR Batman yet, even though I sold the Batman OST weeks ago. So I'm on the fence.

While this is one of my favorite Elfman scores if not my favorite, it's not something that is essential to have complete. I can actually kind of agree with those content with the original CD. The complete score is so wild, unrelenting and borderline obnoxious. Even in the movie, all that crazy bombastic circusy typical Elfman music of the era kind of overstays its welcome. I think he complained at the time that his music was turned down or hated the sound mix. I think maybe he could have restrained himself a bit.

This makes me instantly know that this score isn't for me. I quite like Elfman in serious dramatic form, but any form of zanyness turns me off.

Congrats to John Takis on the liner notes!

I had the pleasure of talking with him in person about this release. His passion for the score was immediately apparent, and I anticipate the liner notes will be quite thorough and full of interesting information. He mentioned some of the unreleased and unused music was fascinating, and that the sound quality was immaculate. I can't wait to hear it!

Congrats to John Takis on the liner notes!

I had the pleasure of talking with him in person about this release. His passion for the score was immediately apparent, and I anticipate the liner notes will be quite thorough and full of interesting information. He mentioned some of the unreleased and unused music was fascinating, and that the sound quality was immaculate. I can't wait to hear it!

UUGggghhhhh I want it! I wish I lived in California for releases like this.

The complete score is so wild, unrelenting and borderline obnoxious.

Agreed. It loses me after the delicious "Birth of a Penguin." I think it's fantastic that La-La Land is giving it a complete release, and I'm very happy for all those who'll enjoy it, but this isn't one I can convince myself to buy.

The complete score is so wild, unrelenting and borderline obnoxious.

Agreed. It loses me after the delicious "Birth of a Penguin." I think it's fantastic that La-La Land is giving it a complete release, and I'm very happy for all those who'll enjoy it, but this isn't one I can convince myself to buy.

I agree completely on all counts. Just to be sure I re-watched the movie over the weekend and decided that I would go bonkers if I spent any time listening to the new release.

I just rewatched the film, too, and agree the album alone is already a long listen that let's say demands a lot of listening energy, but I think the complete score will provide more resting points in between the frenzy. This could be one of those cases where the album is too long as listening experience, but the even longer complete score is much better to listen through.

I don't want this album so much for unreleased bits, but rather for the sound quality. I think most people would agree that this is the best thing about it... hopefully...

Karol

I just rewatched the film, too, and agree the album alone is already a long listen that let's say demands a lot of listening energy, but I think the complete score will provide more resting points in between the frenzy. This could be one of those cases where the album is too long as listening experience, but the even longer complete score is much better to listen through.

Hmmm... perhaps. Some quieter moments might be nice indeed.

You should have said so earlier! I could have ordered a different CD then.

Karol

Well I did say IF. I'll listen to it to see if I like it once I get it. Who knows I may end up liking it and keep it. Just have to wait and see.

The samples were poorly chosen. They really show why I'm skipping this. There's only so much of this type of music I can take. There are some good previously unreleased parts on here (Batmobile attack in the opening sequences, Batman confrontation with strongman and Penguin during street fight sequence), but I'll get enough of them from my viewings of the movie. After deliberation, I don't need this.

I wonder how this release with compare to the one on the Elfman/Burton set? It's difficult to tell right now since we don't have track time or a tracklist for the bonus CD for the Elfman/Burton one.

It looks like the box set version is the original album with only a few extra tracks. Actually, a gyp as far as I can tell. They didn't even include the best unreleased parts.

This is my favorite Danny Elfman score, folks. There is SO MUCH going on beneath the surface, and I'm so grateful I got the chance to write about it at length for La-La Land's new release. In my vast collection, there are few scores I get this enthusiastic about. Hearing it in its complete form for the first time, apart from the film and with deleted cues restored, was a revelatory experience for me ... as I hope it will be for you, too.

This is my favorite Danny Elfman score, folks. There is SO MUCH going on beneath the surface, and I'm so grateful I got the chance to write about it at length for La-La Land's new release. In my vast collection, there are few scores I get this enthusiastic about. Hearing it in its complete form for the first time, apart from the film and with deleted cues restored, was a revelatory experience for me ... as I hope it will be for you, too.

I can't wait to read your liner notes for Batman Returns. I'm also looking forward to getting the CD. Though I will admit I really haven't heard this score.

Yeah,I can't wait to read those too. :)

For those who are irritated by the score in the film, it was pretty clear for me that Batman Returns was scored as a silent film. And it makes sense, pretty everything harkens back to German expressionist era. From productiondesign to small puns, like Max Schreck name, for example. Even the winter backdrop makes the film to look black & white. I love it!

Karol

I mentioned it at the beginning of the thread but congrats again John.

I would say this score showcases Elfman's style more than the first Batman.