Video Game Music

Quintus

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Awesome, I've been listening to video game music more than film music lately. 

I know few or probably nobody else here will agree with me but my view is that video game music by and large surpassed film music about two years ago. 

In my opinion, there is good and bad film music written every year, good and bad tv music written every year, good and bad video game music written every year..... I don't spend time thinking about years of good or bad times and sorting things like that, I just simply listen to scores I haven't heard and hope they're good, or listen to scores I've already heard and know I like. Regardless of the medium it was composed for.

I'd say the same if I thought it was proportionate like you do. I'm finding the video game medium to be more interesting and reliable as a soundtrack source these days that's all. 

Was tihnking about playing that one soon (already bought it), but not sure if I wanted to play through the original Yoshi's Island, YI DS, and Yoshi's New Island first.  I tried to replay the original via the GBA version, but lost interest; Either it didn't hold up as well as I remembered, or its a poor port of the SNES original.  Plus, the constant baby crying was driving me nuts

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Was tihnking about playing that one soon (already bought it), but not sure if I wanted to play through the original Yoshi's Island, YI DS, and Yoshi's New Island first.  I tried to replay the original via the GBA version, but lost interest; Either it didn't hold up as well as I remembered, or its a poor port of the SNES original.  Plus, the constant baby crying was driving me nuts

The original SNES is one of my 3 favorite platformers of all time.  Such a crime it's never been available on virtual console.  You can skip pretty much all the other Yoshi games, they're all mediocre to terrible.  Woolly World is a pretty cool game, definitely the best since the original.  The visual presentation and music were the best parts.  The level design can be clever sometimes but also a little boring.  Worth playing to hear the soundtrack!

Oh, and of course there's no baby Mario to keep safe in Woolly World!

Right, that's the thing; I LOVED the SNES original, and was surprised when I didn't instantly love the GBA port when I revisited the game ~20 years later.  I dunno if they changed something or if it just didn't hold up for me... I should give it another shot.  I did buy Island DS and New Island, but maybe I shouldn't even bother to open them to do seem to be pretty universally panned :lol:  Woolly World I've played in a store and had fun, though Captain Toad Treasure Tracker seems like the better game, maybe

10 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I remember liking Yoshi's Story (though it's been a while since the last time I played that game, so there is that).

I rented this game back when it came out and remember liking it a lot (I was 10 or 11 at the time).  I tried replaying it last year when it came to the Wii U virtual console and thought it was just mediocre.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

BTW Stu, wiki says the original Yoshi's Island is on the 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console, FWIW

I dunno why it would say that because it's not true.  The GBA port is available to buy on Wii U VC and that same port was one of the 3DS ambassador games back in 2011 (but has never been available to buy, like all the other ambassador games).

Just now, Jay said:

Gotcha.  Hopefully it comes to the Switch virtual console ;)

Sure would be nice! Got my GameStop in-store preorder ready to go!

Neither of the most notable games (Star Fox and Yoshi's Island) to use the Super FX Chip on SNES (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_FX) have ever been released on VC.

Those are the two games of any note to use the chip!  Pity it wasn't used more, though it didn't really come out until towards the end of the SNES lifecycle

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Never played that one, or know anyone who did

I did! (I have it on VC) nice enough score.

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'd say the same if I thought it was proportionate like you do. I'm finding the video game medium to be more interesting and reliable as a soundtrack source these days that's all. 

Apart from Destiny, what are some other favorites of yours?

Well, Destiny's long stream of content has been extremely fruitful this past three years for its own ever expanding treasury of music, but just recently I've been really impressed by the music in everything from Everyone Has Gone to the Rapture, Abzu and Titanfall 2. That last and for me most current one has a splendid contemporary science fiction score with huge orchestral statements, it's brilliant. 

• 2 months later...

I've recently been admiring Soule's KOTOR score in game, particularly the subtler "peaceful area" cues.  It's a shame they ditched him for KOTOR 2 and TOR.  His music added so much more atmosphere and personality to the worlds than the omnipresent orchestral bombast of the latter two scores.  

Manaan

Bastila

Kashyyyk

always forget this thread exists.  And every time it gets bumped I always make a mental note to post in it more.  I'm really gonna remember to do it this time!!

My favorite music in the entire Zelda series is from a game I've never beaten!  (too hard)

In your face, BB!  I'm gonna try to remember to post a videogame SONG I like a lot at least a few times a week.

A fun project I wanna do sometime is get a hold of all of the ingame midi files and update the sound quality to at *least* Wind Waker/Twilight Princess quality,  and maybe add some additional material (clean endings, score cutscenes that used tracked music etc.)

39 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Not a bad choice, but it's nowhere near as good as the best Zelda cue ever: the timeless Tal Tal Heights!

I know that Link's Awakening, both game and soundtrack, has a passionate cult following but it's just never clicked with me.  It's not like I don't like the music or anything, but nothing in it is anywhere close to my favorite Zelda music.  The game itself is super obtuse and annoying to control!  I didn't beat it until I got it on 3DS virtual console.  Very cool overall story though.

The worst part of it is the button limitations; IE no X, Y, L, or R, so everything has to be A or B.  I swear you spend 50% of the game in the menus changing what items you have selected as your A and B items.  I'd love a redone version that hard codes your sword to B, running to R, putting your shield out to L, and lets you pick what A, X, and Y do for example.  Would be a huge improvement without actually changing the integrity of the game at all.

Has anybody here made a good playlist from the Destiny album?  The 2 and a half hour run-time is a bit much to get through for a first listen.

Also heads up, the Skyrim soundtrack is finally back on Spotify (at least in the United States)

Skyrim :music:

I've been meaning to put an edited MP3 version together for ages (ever since Stefancos asked me for it, would you believe). 

2017 is a great year for me musically speaking. New JW Star Wars music and new Destiny music within a couple of months of each other. Both will have strong thematic writing and intricate narrative arcs, so it'll feel a double win this holiday season. 

Not to mention Angelo Badalamenti stuff coming earlier in the year, which is bound to get the ball rolling. 

Sounds like you're the one who did that. 

But yes, if you really want to: I far, far enjoyed the entire musical work of Destiny 1 over Williams' The Force Awakens. 

That was my genuine fear after he left, but Salvatori's work on Rise of Iron more than reassured me. I fucking love his music for that expansion.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Mr Frodo, don't go where I can't follow!

Mate we all know you're the Fatty Bolger of the group. You stay behind.