Video Game Music

Quintus

Are there any really easy to use basic free music editors available these days? Not Audacity levels of learning curve - because I used to use Windows Movie Maker to do it, back when I dabbled. Basically, something which allows muppets to cut and stick tracks together with minimal fuss. 

Destiny tracks to put on an "introduction" album - 

Recommend the full, unreleased version of that last one.

That's from the original standalone suite composed during the game's development, an official release of which was more or less ruled out by all the legal issues surrounding Bungie/Marty.  Here's the best available compilation.

------

Hey Quintus, my group and I never got around to playing the expansions after The Taken King, and likely won't with 2 coming later in the year.  How was the music for all that?  Any particular standouts?

My favorite track from one of the best Mario soundtracks.  Underrated score for this game!

It's always somehow reminded of Hisaishi for some reason, can't quite put my finger on why:

Part of it (around 1:24-1:30) reminds me of Krull.

Compare to 1:36 of Inside the Black Fortress

Or :30 of Ynyr's Death

I sort of hear it.  Those determined horns like you're steeling yourself for a difficult task.

-------------------------------------------

Today's Mario music is my favorite track from the Super Mario Galaxy 2 soundtrack, from Ryo Nagamatsu who later was head composer on both 3DS Zelda games (Link Between Worlds and Tri Force Heroes).

I of course love the epic orchestral music in the Galaxy games, but to me the essence of Mario music will always be jazz, from Super Mario Bros. 1-1 to now.  "Puzzle Plank" is taking inspiration from that wonderful string band tradition where folk, blues, and jazz all intermingle, but with many modern elements blended in.  Great stuff.

It's amazing how much better both sound (particularly the arcade) than the Genesis one.  I still just can't play Genesis games, the sound grates on my ears so badly.  TG16 and even SNES were so much better that generation.

Is it surprising, though? The arcade of course had the benefit of being able to use expensive high end hardware, while the Amiga was famous for having one of the best sound chips of the 16 bit/early samping era (it was used for music production at the time, too).

I don't recall any console ever being notable for the qualities of its sound hardware.

I never had a SNES, but grew up with a C64 and later an Amiga. I do have a few ripped Gameboy tracks in my collection though. I don't remember Gameboy games ever doing any particular tricks with the hardware, but you could of course also write good music with just the regular standard features.

Speaking of hardware tricks, this one is still the most impressive for me:

The version at 27:43 is a standard PC speaker. No sound card or other extra hardware. Simply that thing that usually goes "beep" at high volumes and annoying frequencies.

The C64 had wonderful sound back in the day. The Last Ninja series on the platform is probably one of my earliest realisations of properly developed soundtrack appreciation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Splatoon is for sure one of the coolest, most unique game soundtracks of the past several years.  I love this track.  Check that mouth harp throughout the whole thing :) 

There's a Kickstarter campaign by the compsoer of the first three Tomb Raider games to have the 90 minute suite recorded and released. 

One of the stretch goals is to release the three original soundtracks rematestered. 

Yeah, I think Nathan McCree said it reached 12% on its goal on the first day alone.

I might ping some money that way: the suite is nice but I really would love to have all three Tomb Raider soundtracks, with the cutscene and movie sequence music cleanly available.

I'd be thrilled with the suite but yeah, the complete scores would be amazing. It looks like it should clear its goal and hopefully there'll be enough at the end of the campaign for a bit more. I think I'll go with the £45 reward but I'm considering the £75 one.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1636910846/the-tomb-raider-suite?ref=profile_created

It's looking like this IS going to get funded. It's got 31 hours left, and it's just over £5,000 short of its goal, given there have been some huge pledges in the past week.

8 minutes ago, Gistech said:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1636910846/the-tomb-raider-suite?ref=profile_created

It's looking like this IS going to get funded. It's got 31 hours left, and it's just over £5,000 short of its goal, given there have been some huge pledges in the past week.

Ill be adding my £45 tonight or tomorrow morning.

It just jumped a couple thousand.  I'm happy for fans of the music.  I never had a PS1 so I just don't have any associations with that music but I can recognize it's a cool project.

I'm listening to the The Sound of Kirby Café this afternoon.

cd_01.jpg

This is music that was especially recorded by Hal Laboratory (the developer behind the Kirby series) to play over the sound system at a pop-up Kirby themed restaurant that was open in Tokyo last year for a few months.

It's very relaxing.

On 5/18/2017 at 3:17 PM, Marc said:

Here's my arrangement of the epic ending piece from FFVII ( which to my knowloedge had never been covered, until now ;) )

Hey nice job!  And I love the video editing.  I wish I knew how to do stuff like that.

11 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

My favorite Kirby cue will always be the ending to Milky Way Wishes. One of those songs that is so nostalgic it hurts. Fountain of Dreams is certainly up there, though. 

Ever heard this funky ass arrangement of Green Greens from the Wii game?  Might be my favorite of the seemingly hundreds of Green Greens arrangements.

Groovy bongos!

• 4 weeks later...

I did these remasters of music from Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. Ripped the MIDIs from the DS game, loaded them into FL Studio, then loaded the EW ComposerCloud instruments where appropriate (though certain loops were kept from the DS game)

• 1 month later...