Video Game Music

Quintus

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Rocketbelt is somehow both my dream and my nightmare at the same time. 
The synth voice is both amazing and horrifying.  A mesmerizing cue.

Don't remember the track, really looking forward to listening to it soon!

9 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Light Plane is my favourite from Pilotwings!

That's the one I was referring to! Are you familiar with the Smash Bros arrangement? 

17 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Yes, I love the vocal version from the Wii U Smash Bros. 

Ever since Brawl, a lot of the arrangements were more wide than deep, and many suck because of it. But that arranger consistently turned out damn near definitive versions of every tune they touched.

Also, I've recently been listening to some VGM from my childhood and it's making me tear up!

and this is my oldest musical memory from the GameBoy game 'Solar Striker' which I played when I was 5/6 years old!

The game over music is so sad.

Woah there's a Distant Worlds 5 out, I had no idea it was even in the works

Distant Worlds V: more music from FINAL FANTASY

https://www.ffdistantworlds.com/album/distant-worlds-v-more-music-from-final-fantasy/

1 CLASH ON THE BIG BRIDGE (FINAL FANTASY V) 3:10
2 HEAVENSWARD (FINAL FANTASY XIV) 4:35
3 DARK WORLD (FINAL FANTASY VI) 5:35
4 UNREQUITED LOVE (FINAL FANTASY IX) 4:51
5 FLASH OF STEEL (FINAL FANTASY XII) 3:45
6 OPERA MARIA AND DRACO (FINAL FANTASY VI) 13:44
7 SEARCHING FOR FRIENDS (FINAL FANTASY VI) 4:17
8 HYMN OF THE FAYTH (FINAL FANTASY X) 1:49
9 SABER'S EDGE (FINAL FANTASY XIII) 4:16
10 CINCO DE CHOCOBO (FINAL FANTASY SERIES) 4:41
11 IGNIS AND RAVES (FINAL FANTASY XV) 4:46
12 SWORD SONG (FINAL FANTASY XI) 4:03

On 6/7/2019 at 12:42 PM, Disco Stu said:

For you @Jay if you haven't seen these yet

Thanks, @Disco Stu!  I watched these and enjoyed them very much!  

I noticed that the White Lady music and White Palace music was the same theme of course, but hadn't noticed that Hornet's theme builds of that theme, which of course makes total sense.  In general the amount of storytelling Larkin put into the music which is almost entirely location themes and boss themes is pretty damn impressive.  I've been listening to this score almost daily for weeks now

On 6/8/2019 at 3:05 AM, Docteur Qui said:

8-Bit Music Theory is an excellent channel. One of the only YouTubers I've subscribed to.

What other videos from this guy would you recommend strongly?

14 hours ago, Jay said:

What other videos from this guy would you recommend strongly?

Any of the Zelda ones are a good place to start. He really gets under the hood of western music theory though so they can be a bit bewildering unless you've had some training/understanding.

I mean, "music theory" is right there in the channel title.  I'd still give a couple of his Zelda videos a try, you might get more out of them than you think.

Grant Kirkhope confirmed on Twitter he did the music in the Banjo Kazooie Smash reveal trailer

8-bit Music Theory is a great channel! I think it offers something of value, whether you're fluent in theory or not - as he demonstrates the topics he talks about through ample music examples, and all the notation snippets are played back, so you can just listen to get familiar with them.

Recently I really liked the "Mount Wario" video, which demonstrates a variety of techniques used in one track to sync it up with the gameplay in different ways.

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2019 at 1:03 PM, Quintus said:

Unlikely to have been heard by many here I'd have thought, but I love how swashbucklingly legit this cue is:

Haven't been a big fan of the Battlefield scores over the years, but 1 did stand out as more orchestral than the bass-ridden underscore of stuff like 3 and 4. Did you ever play the War Stories campaign?

It has taken nearly a year, but Woody Jackson's Red Dead Redemption 2 will finally see a release on Friday.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

It has taken nearly a year, but Woody Jackson's Red Dead Redemption 2 will finally see a release on Friday

Cool! I never ended up telling you I checked out the GTA V music on your recommendation. Some really solid stuff!

The Celeste DLC still has no release date, but Lena Raine has revealed she's written so much music for it, she's going to release a new 13 track album called "Celeste: Farewell" on September 1st and has put the first two tracks up on her bandcamp page

a1592389302_16.jpg

https://radicaldreamland.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-farewell-original-soundtrack

MAN, I can't wait for this DLC AND this album!!!

#1 most looking forward to album of the year besides Star Wars 9

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 2:44 PM, Jay said:

The Celeste DLC still has no release date, but Lena Raine has revealed she's written so much music for it, she's going to release a new 13 track album called "Celeste: Farewell" on September 1st and has put the first two tracks up on her bandcamp page

a1592389302_16.jpg

https://radicaldreamland.bandcamp.com/album/celeste-farewell-original-soundtrack

MAN, I can't wait for this DLC AND this album!!!

#1 most looking forward to album of the year besides Star Wars 9

It's out!

It's been an intimidating prospect, to return to the world of Celeste for one more outing. The original soundtrack releases saw so much love from thousands of people, and so it seemed like an impossible task to follow it up with something new. It was only through creating something different, and adding to the existing sound of the game, that I felt comfortable telling one more story for these characters and world.

Celeste opened doors for me that I've already stepped through, and my professional life is wholly different as a result. There's no real denying that it's created change for everything that is yet to come for me, and so it only made sense that I'd conclude Celeste by changing it, too. The soundtrack to Farewell might be off-putting on first listen, and I don't know if people will like it less, as much, or more than what I wrote first. It's impossible to live up to high expectations, so I did what I always do: try to stay true to what kind of story I want to express, and what emotions that brings out. I hope that worked.

1.The Empty Space Above 01:34    
2. Fear of the Unknown 06:00
3. Joy of Remembrance 04:08    
4. In Stasis 02:25    
5. Crash 00:11    
6. Beyond the Heart 05:34    
7. Final Defiance 05:22    
8. Futility 00:15    
9. Reconciliation 01:29    
10. Farewell 08:20    
11. The Woman and the Bird 01:14    
12. Vovô e Vovó 01:52    
13. wavedash.ppt 00:50

https://materia.to/celeste-farewellBC

Red Dead 2's official OST album by Woody Jackson and others was released a few weeks ago, but just today I could take a listen at it.

On the game, the music works very well, creating the atmosphere and the ambience of the story and of the world. Even when you're just riding your horse through the map (and you do that A LOT on the game), Jackson's music helps with the mood, much like those different radio stations that you've listened on car on the Grand Theft Auto series.

This OST focuses primarily on the score for some of the most important story missions. It's a mix between Ennio Morricone classic western spaghetti stuff with the more modern, harsh and dark take on typical Americana music from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. So, the album may be a bit challenging to listen, specially if you haven't played the game, but there's some genuinely thrilling action material on tracks like "Red Dead Redemption" and "American Venom", and "The Wheel" (a mission that you play right after the game's saddest moment) is very touching.

• 2 weeks later...

Been enjoying Jake Kaufman's score to SHANTAE AND THE PIRATE'S CURSE this week!  He assembled an album and put it up on his Bandcamp, where you can pay him any amount you choose for a lossless copy, or choose $0 and download for free

https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shantae-and-the-pirates-curse-ost

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Been enjoying Jake Kaufman's score to SHANTAE AND THE PIRATE'S CURSE this week!  He assembled an album and put it up on his Bandcamp, where you can pay him any amount you choose for a lossless copy, or choose $0 and download for free

https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shantae-and-the-pirates-curse-ost

His best! I won't post any tracks in case there were certain ones you were avoiding, but what I will say is that I love how there are the fun dance tracks, but also some surprisingly emotionally dense music from Kaufman that add a good amount of resonance to the game's affairs.

What are some of your favorite tracks so far?

8 Bit Theory video on the beautiful and amazing score to Celeste by Lena Raine! 

Thanks again to @Disco Stu for. Recommending this channel to me! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Haven't played it yet, tried to get the first game when it was on sale in the Switch eShop but missed the sale by a day.  I'll be picking it up as soon as it goes on sale again, looks great