Video Game Music

Quintus

Those of you who have never played "Deus Ex" I encourage you to go out and grab a copy and play it.

It is without a doubt one of the most deep, thought-provoking, and innovative games ever created. The first game that was truly about story and creating a game world you could see as existing. The level of detail, the newspaper articles you could read, diaries, e-mails, books, conversations, pigeons to shoot. Just breathtaking.

The music was also wonderful, very unique, nothing like anything else in the game world.

Awesome intro music, with intro video:

More music, with gameplay for your movie-watching pleasure

I would consider this game as being one of the best literary experiences of any medium.

That game, Deus Ex, is one of my all time most favorite games. I have beaten it three times, on all difficulty settings, and when I got to the final level, would achieve each ending. The last time I played it was a few years ago, and beating it on Realistic was one of the most rewarding game experiences ever, especially considering I went everywhere, beat every side quest, and took advantage of just about everything I could. Even going back into VersaLife through the front door when Tong tells you not to, just to take on the mother of all spider robots.

I have never played it through totally nonlethal. Last time through, I did avoid, or at least attempt to avoid, killing any NSF people, but I have no qualms about killing Majestic 12 goons (even the ones you can meet BEFORE the big plot twist, which makes no sense). Although in my twisted sense of video game morality (Half-Life is another story), I don't consider explosive canisters as kills: I kill the canisters, whatever happens to people beside them isn't my fault. I'm not sure there are enough cattle prod charges and tranq darts in the game to go nonlethal that much, and I would have to be pretty dedicated to use the police baton in the interim.

I remember in college being able to save a key character from death at his apartment shootout, while nobody else who was playing on my dorm floor was able to, which was a nice achievement.

The soundtrack is excellent, and of course graces my iPod.

The sequel would not play on my old Athlon system, and I just haven't made the time to install it on my i7 rig.

I don't know what I was looking for, and will have to dig up the link, but I found a funny website where a player of Deus Ex took advantage of a "bug" where items in your hands are not taken from you when your inventory is stolen or you change maps. Case in point, he tranquilized the boss and then kept him throughout the rest of the game. Even when you're captured or hop into the helicopter, as long as he's in your hands, he'll stay with you. That made for a lot of funny pictures, especially in Hong Kong, where's not supposed to be in a "normal" game.

Great game. I need to reinstall it.

I try to go back and play it once every year or two. Every time I find something new or a different way to play through. (And it's so hard to go around murdering everyone, you can't rectify killing innocent digital bits!) I actually have a G4 iMac running Mac OS 9 of all things sitting around so I can still play Deus Ex basically. Does the Windows version work on Windows 7? I have both, but just kept the Mac OS 9 version around, and haven't tried the Windows version on the newer computers.

One of my favorite moments from that game is, I think you're in Paris, on the run and you're in some random house you've broken into, and this is after every ATM you try to get into reads:

ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!

>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!

>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!

>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!

>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!

>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!

>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!

>>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!

>>>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!

In the real world it's 2:00 AM. In the game world, it's about the same time. You're exploring the quiet house....relatively pretty music playing around in the background, oooh I found a chocolate bar! Wait, what's that? Sounds like ringing. *Tense up* Is that my house phone or is it in the game? Sounds like it's coming from the game. Ooh....here's a phone...in a nice enclosed room to answer.

Answer. Creepy voice on the other end. Someone in creepy masked voice talking about how he is all around you...and can see you. Put down phone. RUN!

[Edit]

Re: Working on Windows 7 -> Looks like it's available on Steam, sweet! $9.99, or $19.99 for both the first and the (lesser, weaker) sequel.

I never installed Windows 7 on my gaming rig. I'm waiting for the holiday break to make the time, fix the partitions, and not screw anything (i.e. lose music) up by trying to do it in a weekend. I have 7 on my laptop, and since this game was made when Voodoos and P3's were the rage, it might actually work well on it.

If I remember correctly, there was one sidequest I could never regularly accomplish. The one in Paris where the lady asks you to go back down into the sewers to rescue her cats from the greasels. I think I did that once by using a ton of anti-radiation meds and suits, but didn't survive the trip out, and never did it again because it wasn't worth it. I rarely put points into swimming, breathing, or radiation related skills.

If you're playing nonlethal, does using "Laputan machine" violate that goal?

I don't know the piece because I haven't touched a Zelda game since the NES, but this is technically brilliant.

that piece is from Majora's Mask (Nintendo 64*) which is said to be the Empire Strikes Back of the Zelda Series AND the most difficult

*its on the Wii Virtual Console AND on a "collectors edition" disc for the Gamecube

Mass Effect 2 has some really pulse pounding, heroic music. And for the thinking man, there are tracks like these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTJZueD0gZo

Everything is encased in the same thick layer of electronics and machismo. This initially put me off the music. I've reconsidered, though. I think it's the little details that make these soundtracks so effective. Just the dissonant lowered 6th in the brass chords, for example, goes so far toward suggesting a man who has lost in mind and become obsessed with power (that's the basic premise of the track). Sometimes the details don't matter so much in orchestral soundtracks because we're too flooded with variety to make sense of it all.

The original Mass Effect had some nice music, heavy synth but it really worked.

Forgot about this one:

Karol

Liberi Fatali! Absolute classic. The middle of Uematsu's "trilogy" of great choral action cues, bookended by One Winged Angel (FF VII) and Divinity (Advent Children).

Here's the best orchestrated Final Fantasy track of all times . FF VII Advent Children End Credits

One great track from the Final Fantasy XIII Finale .It's the "Prelude" theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ske4pPzuBo0

The Advent Children end credits are indeed awesome, one of my favorite Uematsu pieces. It certainly helps that it has my two favorite themes of this (VII main theme, main FF theme).

Bonus Room Blitz is the best part of the Donkey Kong Country score.

However, all video game music cowers at the sound of this:

YouTube various remixes for additional spine-tinglage.

new favorite DKC2 piece: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RDZeCtpEnxY

and of course from LTTP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rvg_52gB3s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hqfDCizU6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPYpbfufZvw&feature=related

This was always my favorite.

Reminds me of Hook and Muppet Treasure Island.

Dude.... http://jwfan.com/for...ndpost&p=649758

Everytime Hook score is mentioned in a thread, you just pop up out of nowhere. That's quite impressive ! ;)

Woah, that's freaky. Glad I'm not the only one that heard similarities between the two.

OK, I need help here.

The part starting at 1:13 in the video below reminds me of a film score, but I just can't put my finger on it. Does anyone know what score that might be ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98n4vhq4BrA&feature=related

Just reading through this thread now...

I'm thinking El Cid.

i just remembered this soundtrack right here is the first soundtrack that i EVER heard that took precedence over the game i was playing, its...just...that...good!:

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome version of the Imperial March with the Emperor.

haha i used that version of the Emporer's Theme for a ROTS rescore (guess which scene it was)

yes, i'd say Super Metroid and the first metroid prime have the best music in the metroid series, Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission would right after