Video Game Music

Quintus

Real sci-fi game music:

I'll see your chiptune, and raise you this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSajONjO_g0

I love video game scores, particularly when they're arranged. I've got a stack of imported Japanese CDs of orchestral game soundtracks (largely Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest/Warrior, but still). Nothin' I like more than a live orchestra playing some of my favorite music in glorious FLAC on my computer. It's still to my shame though that I haven't picked up that "Video Games Live: Level 2" Blu-Ray.

I don't get why Always gets such a bashing.

I think it's a beautiful score, at times reminding me of moments in E.T.

And the film,granted the woman is rather annoying at times but the film is a pleasant watch.

And the film,granted the woman is rather annoying at times but the film is a pleasant watch.

what? this is a video game music thread, and that is DEFINITELY NOT video game music

what? this is a video game music thread, and that is DEFINITELY NOT video game music

I had a few tabs open with various threads on. I've not long finished a 6-2 shift. Mind scrambled. Mystery solved :)

There will never be a next JW or JG. There was never another Rozsa, Herrmann, North, Bernstein... and there will never be another Michael Giacchino.

Each is unique.

You say that, but.... Goldsmith kind of was the next North. Elfman the next Herrmann, Williams the next Korngold.... All composers have favourites that they aspire to.

And it seems to be that Gicchino aspires to John Williams, and Beltrami aspires to Goldsmith.

If you believe that videogame music will never reach the standards of film scoring, you probably should listen to this piece from Metal Gear Solid 4. This is perhaps the most sorrowful atmosphere I've ever heard in a piece of gaming music. It reminds me of "Remembering Munich" from Munich.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Love Theme

If you want something a bit more powerful and orchestrated, check out this piece from Shadow of the Colossus

Shadow of the Colossus - The Opened Way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3PRXFLJYcw

Here's a curiosity:

Goldsmith on the SID. Mostly not representative of what the SID was capable of, but then, the usual average game score was a far cry from what people like Hülsbeck could get out of the chip.

I always thought the Age of Empires series had some wonderful music.

Here's some from one of the expansion packs, love the second theme that starts around 3:15

And once Age of Empires III got that orchestra...all bets were off....some of the best game music I can think of:

This one's opening is hypnotic:

I am not sure on this, but i believe its (or atleast it will be) live orchestra (again im not sure) and according to the ZREO site: UPDATE: The Twilight Symphony team is also pleased to share that we’re currently in discussions with legendary Recording Engineer John Kurlander (Peter Jackson’s LOTR Trilogy, The Hurt Locker, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm… oh, and The Beatles: Abbey Road) as well as Vocal Contractor, Arranger and Choir Conductor Tim Davis (GLEE, Happy Feet, and HAWX2) as a part of our effort to record live choir for this very special project.

I am not sure on this, but i believe its (or atleast it will be) live orchestra (again im not sure) and according to the ZREO site: UPDATE: The Twilight Symphony team is also pleased to share that we’re currently in discussions with legendary Recording Engineer John Kurlander (Peter Jackson’s LOTR Trilogy, The Hurt Locker, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm… oh, and The Beatles: Abbey Road) as well as Vocal Contractor, Arranger and Choir Conductor Tim Davis (GLEE, Happy Feet, and HAWX2) as a part of our effort to record live choir for this very special project.

I read that as just being the choir that will be recorded, not an orchestra.

I can't wait for Joris De Man's Killzone 3 score. I almost got the Helghast edition of the game so I could get the score, but it wasn't reasonable considering the price. I hope it doesn't take as long as the second one to get a digital release.

I can't wait for Joris De Man's Killzone 3 score. I almost got the Helghast edition of the game so I could get the score, but it wasn't reasonable considering the price. I hope it doesn't take as long as the second one to get a digital release.

From what I've heard in the beta, it sounds very interesting indeed.

So I decided to visit a website I frequent to check to see if there's anything new that might interest me, and I discovered that the score for Crysis 2 was there. I was surprised because the game doesn't come out until the end of March. I checked it out because I wanted to know who did it, only to find the names Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe on the page. I figured it was the greatest kept secret ever or the idiot poster just labelled it incorrectly. I assumed the latter, but decided to confirm it. Lo and behold, it's true.

Zimmer and Balfe did the score and La-La Land will release a 2-disc set on April 12 (according to Amazon).

Really? I'm surprised. I played the beta and the music (the samples I heard) was very good.

I say surprised because the style was nothing like Zimmer; in fact it was more reminiscent of John Barry.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used SynthFont for the actual output using several soundfonts I've found all over the web, plus final mastering in Wavelab.

But no, I don't know who did what on the soundtrack... but it's still the best non-Williams Star Wars soundtrack, I'd say.

I've used SynthFont for the actual output using several soundfonts I've found all over the web, plus final mastering in Wavelab.

Cool, thanks!

But no, I don't know who did what on the soundtrack... but it's still the best non-Williams Star Wars soundtrack, I'd say.

Agreed! (Y)

Yes, the music works wonderfully in-game. I specially love the more sinister parts... Subtle, yet extremly effective.

I always wonder what the hell happened to the LucasArts trio of composers after they left said company. It's a shame that they don't get more assignments...