Video Game Music

Quintus

I always wonder what the hell happened to the LucasArts trio of composers after they left said company. It's a shame that they don't get more assignments...

Well, at least Michael Land got to compose the great "Tales of Monkey Island" score. What a shame though that it was all synths (due to the Wii version), as opposed to the partially live instruments of the MI3 and MI4 soundtracks.

Well, at least Michael Land got to compose the great "Tales of Monkey Island" score. What a shame though that it was all synths (due to the Wii version), as opposed to the partially live instruments of the MI3 and MI4 soundtracks.

Yes, the Tales soundtrack is fantastic. And probably the most underrated, in my opinion. Too bad we don't have some MIDIs for that one, that way you could remaster it too!

And I agree, the other three ones are awesome too. LeChuck's Revenge is particuarly brilliant... I've always liked how thematic the scores are, as opposed to say, Grim Fandango, which is a fantastic video-game soundtrack too, but lacks that thematic continuity that the MI's have.

Fantastic! By the way, have you ever checked the following video out? It has two songs from ToMI re-orchestrated...

Maybe there are MIDIs of Tales after all?

Yeah, there are MIDIs, and I have them. Don't know if I can make them sound better though.

Holy shit! There are ToMI MIDIs and I didn't know?? WTF is wrong with me?? PM'ed right now!

JanBing, you are awesome. Those TIE Fighter tracks are excellent!

I was so happy I downloaded the Dark Forces MIDI-to-MP3 conversion from mixnmojo before all Star Wars music was yanked five or six years ago, and somewhere along the way, I picked up the main theme to TIE Fighter converted. This helps to pad that. Thanks!

I've posted some more tracks from the TIE Fighter soundtrack RIGHT HERE.

It sounds really good. However, I'm curious: why use GPO brass and percussion but basic general MIDI strings? At least, that's what it sounds like to my ears. There is a lot of opportunity for lush, legato playing for which GPO strings would be great.

No, it's not GPO... so I just have to stick to those strings ;)

I'm really considering getting GPO now... but first I have to find out, if I can use it with SynthFont...

Edit: Does anybody here have any experience with GPO? Can I just load MIDIs in the ARIA player and "play" the control sliders live, while recording the MIDI files to a wave? I don't have a keyboard (and wouldn't even be able to play it), and otherwise I still need a MIDI sequencer to insert all the necessary controllers. Are there any free or cheap MIDI sequencers out there, which support GPO as a VST-intrument?

Ok, so I finally did a full arrangment of my own of one of the themes of the ToMI soundtrack. I choosed the "LeChuck Intro" from Episode 5 and decided to re-orchestrate it, as I thought it needed more "badassery" sounding attached to it. I don't know it its sounds exactly better than the original, but it sounds more full...

Rise of the Pirate God

Enjoy, and please let me know what you think :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, more will follow... I've just purchased Garritan Personal Orchestra 4, so I will keep working on those. The ingame music is a difficult thing, as those track consist of several snippets that get put together in-game through iMuse. I'll be assmebling something out of those, but it's not easy.

I really liked the music for those N64 Banjo Kazooie games. I gotta check out what BloodBoal posted. Should be good...

Yeah, more will follow... I've just purchased Garritan Personal Orchestra 4, so I will keep working on those. The ingame music is a difficult thing, as those track consist of several snippets that get put together in-game through iMuse. I'll be assmebling something out of those, but it's not easy.

Brilliant! Yes, I can imagine it being a difficult task. iMuse is brilliant, but it means that the music isn't exactly available in album form.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've reworked my (still unfinished) "TIE Fighter" soundtrack, using Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 and the free Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra, while mixing everything in Reaper. Here are two tracks:

Main Theme and Intro

http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/temp/tie_new/02%20-%20Main%20Theme%20and%20Intro.mp3

Main Hangar

http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/temp/tie_new/04%20-%20Main%20Hangar.mp3

More tracks can be found HERE.

• 5 weeks later...

The LucasArts trio live, playing Outlaws, Grim Fandango and Monkey Island...

McConell in the guitar from the left, Land at the keyboard and Bajakian in the guitar from the right. Don't know the name of the guy on the drums, though.

But I wish they did this more often! It's awesome!

Nice! Didn't even know they did that:) I'm getting all nostalgic for point and click adventures.

noob question: how do you put those audio players in a thread? not the youtube things - the other ones?

how do you put those audio players in a thread? not the youtube things - the other ones?

Just insert a direct link to an MP3-file... the player is generated by the forum software. (but only two of them are possible per post).

• 2 weeks later...
Not many straightforward statements of the game tunes to be found here. It's a very complex, developed orchestral piece that really just takes Zelda music as a starting point.

Not many straightforward statements of the game tunes to be found here. It's a very complex, developed orchestral piece that really just takes Zelda music as a starting point.

Is this the video that ZREO bashed on their site, and then took down?

Yes, it is, ZREO bashed it for being, not having many statements of themes, and for having original music (as in non-thematic music)

Yeah... well, ZREO shouldn't knock this guy for going somewhere different with his arrangement when they've done the same thing on many occasions: generally by trying to conform every Zelda soundtrack to a grand, Hollywood mold. I'm excited about their Twilight Princess soundtrack because that music IS written in a Hollywood style, so their work is a natural extension of it. But other things they've done really seem to go against the spirit of the original compositions: "Battle" and "Zelda's Theme" from the Ocarina of Time soundtrack, for example.

ZREO actually knocked Valtonen for this? Pft, Valtonen actually knows music unlike most of those guys over at ZREO that just take sampled loops and phrases and put them on midis they didn't even make themselves.

Sorry, have some bad history there:/

on the note of Nintendo music, here's a piece o'crap:P

http://www.box.net/shared/ekvz239q0a

• 2 weeks later...

Let's not forget that Kondo for the last few games has served as music supervisor, with composers like Toru Minegishi arguably doing most of the actual writing. Incidentally, Mahito Yokota (of Super Mario Galaxy) is the lead orchestrator on Skyward Sword (not to mention Ocarina of Time 3DS) and has confirmed that the music will be recorded with an orchestra.

Let's not forget that Kondo for the last few games has served as music supervisor, with composers like Toru Minegishi arguably doing most of the actual writing. Incidentally, Mahito Yokota (of Super Mario Galaxy) is the lead orchestrator on Skyward Sword (not to mention Ocarina of Time 3DS shouldnt parenthesis be here ????? and has confirmed that the music will be recorded with an orchestra.

You might want to close that in with a parenthesis.....

and yes, I was about to post that, Kondo composes music for [those] games less than he used to

Forget Super 8 and even Tintin - this re-recording of a gaming musical masterpiece has just gone straight to the top of my most wanted list:

"And on the subject of audio – everything has been remastered – sound effects beefed up and remixed, but more importantly, we took Marty O’Donnell’s industry-changing soundtrack and gave it some deep, smoove loving, with a re-orchestration and brand new recording with the Skywalker Orchestra. So the perfect melodies, the movements and the themes are intact, but just glowingly more rich and lavish (and expensive). Anyone who’s heard the similar project with Halo Legends will know sort of what to expect, but expect it to be better."

Source

The original, Halo: Combat Evolved of ten years ago is widely regarded as one of gaming greatest soundtracks, and damn - I cannot wait to hear the Skywalker Symphony players do it justice in the upcoming anniversary of the score and game remastered re-release. Such a sumptuously traditional sci-fi score, choca-bloc with stirring themes, eerie melodies and brilliant action music - it's one of my all-time-favourite pieces of score of any medium.

Yeah, it's gonna be nice.

In other news, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Legend of Zelda series, there's going to be a world-wide tour of an orchestra performing music from the series.

Jason, I take it you know of the original Halo score?

Oh yea, I've played the original Halo game and remember liking the music. I'll totally check out the new orchestral recordings