Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Wasn't this in the PS1 adaptation for the final boss of MechaRameses coming out of the Red Sea at the last moment and you have to force him back?

 

Well it would have fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing this the other day in a review just threw me right back into a feeling of awe and nostalgia, something video game music doesn't really do for me unless it's something like Soule's Hogwarts theme which I heard a million times as a kid in multiple variations. Probably helps that this is attached to one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, even if it's so recent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend Titan Quest's 2006 OST

It has such a relation with most fantasy RPG scores like Titan Quest's ancient mythological setting has with fictional worlds. It just has a certain... "real" ancient feel to it.

Featuring: traditional Greek, Egyptian, Middle-Eastern & Chinese  instruments, nice melodies and several leitmotiffic designs. The end credits song is wonderful too, sung in Greek and with meaningful lyrics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night, this just popped into my head and I was overjoyed to remember its existance. It's great.

OK, the memories of the toughening and quickening gameplay, and that goddamn elevator endurance round add to it a lot, but it has that "things are escalating and will soon draw to a close" feel to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Holko said:

Last night, this just popped into my head and I was overjoyed to remember its existance. It's great.

OK, the memories of the toughening and quickening gameplay, and that goddamn elevator endurance round add to it a lot, but it has that "things are escalating and will soon draw to a close" feel to it.

 

Oh crap, I didn't remember the music getting real. I played the game 10 years ago until I unlocked the original, then I used Sands of Time pretty exclusively as a Prince of Persia emulator. I eish it was longer and built up even more, it feels like it could be a real barnstormer.

 

In general, one of my favorite things jn a video game is when the music amps up the game to the top and tells you on no uncertain terms that this is it, this is the final leg. Such an awesome confluence of music and game design, mixed with the emotions you as a player bring in by pure virtue of having to steer the experience.

 

Some favorites off the top of my noodle:

 

Here you and hopefully a buddy sitting next to you are brawling through ninjas and corrupt Secret Service types on a mad dash to the White House  to prevent an evil robot clone of a high public official from holding a lethal press conference. 

 

 

 

And at this part of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, you're literally

Spoiler

fighting God

 

 

Talk about going hard (especially around 2:13); dayum!

 

And these two tracks from Silent Hill 2 and 3 respectively: 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The climactic escape, you're running from a forest fire and being chased by a giant shadow demon owl, every ability at your disposal, your heart and blood pumping, and still dying once every 5-10 seconds... While the music revisits many motifs from earlier parts of the game and gives them a dire rythm. I cannot recommend Ori enough to anyone liking the art style and marginally interested in the Metroidvania genre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Backers of the Tomb Raider Suite got to have it two days early via digital distribution. I have to say, I love the new arrangements of the incidental music.

 

Here's the theme being played on Classic FM:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was 16 I randomly discovered on some blog a download for the "Mario & Zelda Big Band Live CD."  The one with "BIG BAND...OF ROGUES!!!"  It was one of my favorite albums as a teen.

 

61sZjLOwXEL._SY355_.jpg

 

In particular, the above bluegrass performance of the "Athletic Theme" from Yoshi's Island blew my mind.  When I first listened, I immediately thought, "THIS is what Mario music is supposed to sound like."  That wonderful 1920's inspired blending of bluegrass and jazz/ragtime.  I had grown up marinating in Mario music nearly every day, and it just had never occurred to me until then how inspired by early 20th century American music Mario had always been.  This was partially due to finally hearing it the connection made explicit via the more accurate instrumentation (instead of the chiptune synths).

 

Then lo & behold, 7 years later I heard the "Puzzle Plank Galaxy" cue in Super Mario Galaxy 2.  In many ways, I still consider this my platonic ideal of Mario music.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously this is true of most composers, but there's something about Peter McConnell, his work really comes alive when played by actual musicians, and be dead in the ground with sample libraries. Compare it to someone like Hitoshi Sakimoto, whose work stands up pretty well with virtual sounds.

 

 

Though both are really skilled at supplementing virtual ensembles with select soloists to really fluff it up.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t mind the sample stuff in-game, but of course Thieves in Time makes for better isolated listening than the original trilogy scores. If anything, given what a piece of hot garbage the game itself is, Thieves in Time is better off in isolated listening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Warrior of Wet Dreams So that infamous track was actually probably a programming error...I was shocked to play the game and find out most of the music was good, the basement track is really out of place. Someone fixed the "routing", and here's what it was probably meant to actually sound like. Much more in line with the rest of the score.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been awhile since I've heard a really good video game soundtrack.

 

  • Alien Isolation had an excellent score that teased the Alien motifs quite nicely particularly the slow staccato flute stabs.

 

  • The Uncharted games have excellent fully orchestrated scores that hold up well. The main theme is catchy and fun to hum. 

 

  • Red Dead 2 had a great score that was ambient in the most perfect way. Micro motifs that were memorable but didn't get annoying over time.

 

Most of the time video game scores are a little too ambient for me, which is fine and usually necessary but not worth listening to in isolation. I still think my favorite scores are by Giacchino, and to this day I still feel like his orchestration was a lot more interesting than it is now. For some reason his scores are a lot more dry and flaky nowadays, whereas Medal of Honor and Secret Weapons Over Normandy are rich and full of life. I wonder if he went from having a few dedicated orchestrators to doing most of it himself, because his voice has definitely changed over the years and not necessarily for the better IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, YoYoMama said:

I still think my favorite scores are by Giacchino, and to this day I still feel like his orchestration was a lot more interesting than it is now. For some reason his scores are a lot more dry and flaky nowadays, whereas Medal of Honor and Secret Weapons Over Normandy are rich and full of life. I wonder if he went from having a few dedicated orchestrators to doing most of it himself, because his voice has definitely changed over the years and not necessarily for the better IMO.

His orchestrations were simplistic back then. It was the great melodies that he wrote which propelled the scores. Nowadays he is all orchestral quirks and no themes. 

Or maybe there is just so much more time to compose for a videogame than for a film or tv episode. Orchestrations come naturally with experience if one just understands how to do them, but to actually find out where the music should go to sound great, second after a second.... Look at my JW quote below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, YoYoMama said:

It's been awhile since I've heard a really good video game soundtrack.

 

  • Alien Isolation had an excellent score that teased the Alien motifs quite nicely particularly the slow staccato flute stabs.

 

  • The Uncharted games have excellent fully orchestrated scores that hold up well. The main theme is catchy and fun to hum. 

 

  • Red Dead 2 had a great score that was ambient in the most perfect way. Micro motifs that were memorable but didn't get annoying over time.

 

Most of the time video game scores are a little too ambient for me, which is fine and usually necessary but not worth listening to in isolation. I still think my favorite scores are by Giacchino, and to this day I still feel like his orchestration was a lot more interesting than it is now. For some reason his scores are a lot more dry and flaky nowadays, whereas Medal of Honor and Secret Weapons Over Normandy are rich and full of life. I wonder if he went from having a few dedicated orchestrators to doing most of it himself, because his voice has definitely changed over the years and not necessarily for the better IMO.

All the examples you listed are great but I don’t understand how that equates to you not hearing a good one in awhile.

 

Listen to the slew of music by Austin Wintory.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say that there has been no very good videogame music recently either

 

I know of:

Fallout: New Vegas (2010)

Slavov's Two Worlds 2 (2010)

Waldetoft's music for Paradox games (2010, 2014)

Griskey's Force Unleashed/2 (2011?)

Velasco's Company of Heroes 2 (2013)

Bioshock: Infinite (2013)

the Total Wars? (2012 is my fav)

The Journey? (2012/2019)

Witcher 3? (2015/2016)

 

I definitely do agree, however, that we are yet to hear something that can top videogame music from ca. 15 years ago. (MoH, Age of Empires 3, Paraworld...) There have always been A scores, but weirdly no S scores as of late....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I quite like these adaptations of the Kingdom Hearts music, they're quite powerful when they're arranged properly, outside of their usage in the games (which are shortened and looped).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×