Wasn't this in the PS1 adaptation for the final boss of MechaRameses coming out of the Red Sea at the last moment and you have to force him back?

Well it would have fit.

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

You can have your Bear McDreary God of Bore shit, man. Mr Patch is where it's at!

I do not co-sign this opinion though.  God of War is one of the best OSTs of the year.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I do not co-sign this opinion though.  God of War is one of the best OSTs of the year.

See now the folly of your opinion, Mr. Disco? If you give a kockroach a kazooie....

Hearing this the other day in a review just threw me right back into a feeling of awe and nostalgia, something video game music doesn't really do for me unless it's something like Soule's Hogwarts theme which I heard a million times as a kid in multiple variations. Probably helps that this is attached to one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, even if it's so recent.

I recommend Titan Quest's 2006 OST

It has such a relation with most fantasy RPG scores like Titan Quest's ancient mythological setting has with fictional worlds. It just has a certain... "real" ancient feel to it.

Featuring: traditional Greek, Egyptian, Middle-Eastern & Chinese  instruments, nice melodies and several leitmotiffic designs. The end credits song is wonderful too, sung in Greek and with meaningful lyrics.

Last night, this just popped into my head and I was overjoyed to remember its existance. It's great.

OK, the memories of the toughening and quickening gameplay, and that goddamn elevator endurance round add to it a lot, but it has that "things are escalating and will soon draw to a close" feel to it.

19 minutes ago, Holko said:

Last night, this just popped into my head and I was overjoyed to remember its existance. It's great.

OK, the memories of the toughening and quickening gameplay, and that goddamn elevator endurance round add to it a lot, but it has that "things are escalating and will soon draw to a close" feel to it.

Oh crap, I didn't remember the music getting real. I played the game 10 years ago until I unlocked the original, then I used Sands of Time pretty exclusively as a Prince of Persia emulator. I eish it was longer and built up even more, it feels like it could be a real barnstormer.

In general, one of my favorite things jn a video game is when the music amps up the game to the top and tells you on no uncertain terms that this is it, this is the final leg. Such an awesome confluence of music and game design, mixed with the emotions you as a player bring in by pure virtue of having to steer the experience.

Some favorites off the top of my noodle:

Here you and hopefully a buddy sitting next to you are brawling through ninjas and corrupt Secret Service types on a mad dash to the White House  to prevent an evil robot clone of a high public official from holding a lethal press conference. 

And at this part of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, you're literally

Spoiler

fighting God

Talk about going hard (especially around 2:13); dayum!

And these two tracks from Silent Hill 2 and 3 respectively: 

The climactic escape, you're running from a forest fire and being chased by a giant shadow demon owl, every ability at your disposal, your heart and blood pumping, and still dying once every 5-10 seconds... While the music revisits many motifs from earlier parts of the game and gives them a dire rythm. I cannot recommend Ori enough to anyone liking the art style and marginally interested in the Metroidvania genre.

Backers of the Tomb Raider Suite got to have it two days early via digital distribution. I have to say, I love the new arrangements of the incidental music.

Here's the theme being played on Classic FM:

When I was 16 I randomly discovered on some blog a download for the "Mario & Zelda Big Band Live CD."  The one with "BIG BAND...OF ROGUES!!!"  It was one of my favorite albums as a teen.

61sZjLOwXEL._SY355_.jpg

In particular, the above bluegrass performance of the "Athletic Theme" from Yoshi's Island blew my mind.  When I first listened, I immediately thought, "THIS is what Mario music is supposed to sound like."  That wonderful 1920's inspired blending of bluegrass and jazz/ragtime.  I had grown up marinating in Mario music nearly every day, and it just had never occurred to me until then how inspired by early 20th century American music Mario had always been.  This was partially due to finally hearing it the connection made explicit via the more accurate instrumentation (instead of the chiptune synths).

Then lo & behold, 7 years later I heard the "Puzzle Plank Galaxy" cue in Super Mario Galaxy 2.  In many ways, I still consider this my platonic ideal of Mario music.