• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Quintus

Video Game Music

796 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Never played that one, or know anyone who did

I did! (I have it on VC) nice enough score.

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'd say the same if I thought it was proportionate like you do. I'm finding the video game medium to be more interesting and reliable as a soundtrack source these days that's all. 

Apart from Destiny, what are some other favorites of yours?

Well, Destiny's long stream of content has been extremely fruitful this past three years for its own ever expanding treasury of music, but just recently I've been really impressed by the music in everything from Everyone Has Gone to the Rapture, Abzu and Titanfall 2. That last and for me most current one has a splendid contemporary science fiction score with huge orchestral statements, it's brilliant. 

I'm gonna check that one out!

Saw that on Reddit this morning but haven't listened to it yet

I've recently been admiring Soule's KOTOR score in game, particularly the subtler "peaceful area" cues.  It's a shame they ditched him for KOTOR 2 and TOR.  His music added so much more atmosphere and personality to the worlds than the omnipresent orchestral bombast of the latter two scores.  

Manaan

Bastila

Kashyyyk

Cerebral Cortex likes this

always forget this thread exists.  And every time it gets bumped I always make a mental note to post in it more.  I'm really gonna remember to do it this time!!

My favorite music in the entire Zelda series is from a game I've never beaten!  (too hard)

In your face, BB!  I'm gonna try to remember to post a videogame SONG I like a lot at least a few times a week.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My favorite music in the entire Zelda series is from a game I've never beaten!  (too hard)

Not a bad choice, but it's nowhere near as good as the best Zelda cue ever: the timeless Tal Tal Heights!

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

In your face, BB!  I'm gonna try to remember to post a videogame SONG I like a lot at least a few times a week.

See you in a year to see Stu post a second video game SONG in this thread, guys!

The Zelda series sure has had some great music written for it over the years

A fun project I wanna do sometime is get a hold of all of the ingame midi files and update the sound quality to at *least* Wind Waker/Twilight Princess quality,  and maybe add some additional material (clean endings, score cutscenes that used tracked music etc.)

39 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Not a bad choice, but it's nowhere near as good as the best Zelda cue ever: the timeless Tal Tal Heights!

I know that Link's Awakening, both game and soundtrack, has a passionate cult following but it's just never clicked with me.  It's not like I don't like the music or anything, but nothing in it is anywhere close to my favorite Zelda music.  The game itself is super obtuse and annoying to control!  I didn't beat it until I got it on 3DS virtual console.  Very cool overall story though.

The worst part of it is the button limitations; IE no X, Y, L, or R, so everything has to be A or B.  I swear you spend 50% of the game in the menus changing what items you have selected as your A and B items.  I'd love a redone version that hard codes your sword to B, running to R, putting your shield out to L, and lets you pick what A, X, and Y do for example.  Would be a huge improvement without actually changing the integrity of the game at all.

Has anybody here made a good playlist from the Destiny album?  The 2 and a half hour run-time is a bit much to get through for a first listen.

Also heads up, the Skyrim soundtrack is finally back on Spotify (at least in the United States)

Skyrim :music:

I've been meaning to put an edited MP3 version together for ages (ever since Stefancos asked me for it, would you believe). 

2017 is a great year for me musically speaking. New JW Star Wars music and new Destiny music within a couple of months of each other. Both will have strong thematic writing and intricate narrative arcs, so it'll feel a double win this holiday season. 

Not to mention Angelo Badalamenti stuff coming earlier in the year, which is bound to get the ball rolling. 

Comparing Destiny and Star Wars now?

Suuuure...

Sounds like you're the one who did that. 

But yes, if you really want to: I far, far enjoyed the entire musical work of Destiny 1 over Williams' The Force Awakens. 

Mr Frodo, don't go where I can't follow!

That was my genuine fear after he left, but Salvatori's work on Rise of Iron more than reassured me. I fucking love his music for that expansion.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Mr Frodo, don't go where I can't follow!

Mate we all know you're the Fatty Bolger of the group. You stay behind. 

I'm fucking Prince Imrahil from Dol Amroth, mate!

Of course. You look towards the future, while I'm stuck in the past with my Star Trek and Doctor Who, right?

On 4/21/2017 at 0:31 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

If you remind me later this weekend, I can put up a list. 

Can you put up a list? 

Are there any really easy to use basic free music editors available these days? Not Audacity levels of learning curve - because I used to use Windows Movie Maker to do it, back when I dabbled. Basically, something which allows muppets to cut and stick tracks together with minimal fuss. 

Destiny tracks to put on an "introduction" album - 

Recommend the full, unreleased version of that last one.

That's from the original standalone suite composed during the game's development, an official release of which was more or less ruled out by all the legal issues surrounding Bungie/Marty.  Here's the best available compilation.

------

Hey Quintus, my group and I never got around to playing the expansions after The Taken King, and likely won't with 2 coming later in the year.  How was the music for all that?  Any particular standouts?

Not Mr. Big likes this

My favorite track from one of the best Mario soundtracks.  Underrated score for this game!

It's always somehow reminded of Hisaishi for some reason, can't quite put my finger on why:

Part of it (around 1:24-1:30) reminds me of Krull.

Compare to 1:36 of Inside the Black Fortress

Or :30 of Ynyr's Death