• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Quintus

Video Game Music

792 posts in this topic

Mass Effect 2 has some really pulse pounding, heroic music. And for the thinking man, there are tracks like these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTJZueD0gZo

Everything is encased in the same thick layer of electronics and machismo. This initially put me off the music. I've reconsidered, though. I think it's the little details that make these soundtracks so effective. Just the dissonant lowered 6th in the brass chords, for example, goes so far toward suggesting a man who has lost in mind and become obsessed with power (that's the basic premise of the track). Sometimes the details don't matter so much in orchestral soundtracks because we're too flooded with variety to make sense of it all.

The original Mass Effect had some nice music, heavy synth but it really worked.

Forgot about this one:

Karol

Liberi Fatali! Absolute classic. The middle of Uematsu's "trilogy" of great choral action cues, bookended by One Winged Angel (FF VII) and Divinity (Advent Children).

it's the FFVII main themes more elaborately orchestrated for a movie

The Advent Children end credits are indeed awesome, one of my favorite Uematsu pieces. It certainly helps that it has my two favorite themes of this (VII main theme, main FF theme).

Here is my favourite Final Fantasy track (and probably my favourite track from any video game). I've already posted it in another thread, but, whatever. It's just so good. You must listen to 2:21 :

best SNES soundtrack by far is this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al9gBF980zY

Bonus Room Blitz is the best part of the Donkey Kong Country score.

However, all video game music cowers at the sound of this:

YouTube various remixes for additional spine-tinglage.

You cannot talk about DKC2 music and not mention Welcome To Crocodile Isle and Lockjaw's Saga !

And let's not forget

and
!

this is my favorite from that one

I never understood what the fuss was all about with this one. A lot of DKC2 fans love it, I just don't.

This was always my favorite.

Reminds me of Hook and Muppet Treasure Island.

Dude.... http://jwfan.com/for...ndpost&p=649758

Everytime Hook score is mentioned in a thread, you just pop up out of nowhere. That's quite impressive ! ;)

Anyway, back to Zelda music : I absolutely love the medley in the following video. It features two of my favourites music from the 2D Zelda games : the Dark World theme from ALLTP (at 4:13) THE BALLAD OF THE WINDFISH (at 4:51) from Link's Awakening !!

And here is a great rendition of the The Hyrule Castle theme from A Link To The Past :

i just remembered this soundtrack right here is the first soundtrack that i EVER heard that took precedence over the game i was playing, its...just...that...good!:

OK, I need help here.

The part starting at 1:13 in the video below reminds me of a film score, but I just can't put my finger on it. Does anyone know what score that might be ?

Just reading through this thread now...

I'm thinking El Cid.

Unfortunately, that's not it. Thanks for help, though ! ;)

Awesome version of the Imperial March with the Emperor.

haha i used that version of the Emporer's Theme for a ROTS rescore (guess which scene it was)

yes, i'd say Super Metroid and the first metroid prime have the best music in the metroid series, Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission would right after

Real sci-fi game music:

I'll see your chiptune, and raise you this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSajONjO_g0

I love video game scores, particularly when they're arranged. I've got a stack of imported Japanese CDs of orchestral game soundtracks (largely Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest/Warrior, but still). Nothin' I like more than a live orchestra playing some of my favorite music in glorious FLAC on my computer. It's still to my shame though that I haven't picked up that "Video Games Live: Level 2" Blu-Ray.

There will never be a next JW or JG. There was never another Rozsa, Herrmann, North, Bernstein... and there will never be another Michael Giacchino.

Each is unique.

You say that, but.... Goldsmith kind of was the next North. Elfman the next Herrmann, Williams the next Korngold.... All composers have favourites that they aspire to.

And it seems to be that Gicchino aspires to John Williams, and Beltrami aspires to Goldsmith.

If you believe that videogame music will never reach the standards of film scoring, you probably should listen to this piece from Metal Gear Solid 4. This is perhaps the most sorrowful atmosphere I've ever heard in a piece of gaming music. It reminds me of "Remembering Munich" from Munich.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Love Theme

If you want something a bit more powerful and orchestrated, check out this piece from Shadow of the Colossus

Shadow of the Colossus - The Opened Way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3PRXFLJYcw

Here's a curiosity:

Goldsmith on the SID. Mostly not representative of what the SID was capable of, but then, the usual average game score was a far cry from what people like Hülsbeck could get out of the chip.

I always thought the Age of Empires series had some wonderful music.

Here's some from one of the expansion packs, love the second theme that starts around 3:15

And once Age of Empires III got that orchestra...all bets were off....some of the best game music I can think of:

This one's opening is hypnotic: