Video Game Music

Quintus

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-30-music-to-play-games-by-article

Big fan of game scores here, in fact I'm becoming more and more satisfied by game scores than I am by their contemporary movie equivalents. There's a huge amount of creativity to be found in this relatively new industry and it's just producing better and better stuff each year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Michael Giacchino's score to the first Medal Of Honor game was better than 90% of the film scores written during that time period.

I can't believe some of these are written for video games when I'm listening to them.

There will never be a next JW or JG. There was never another Rozsa, Herrmann, North, Bernstein... and there will never be another Michael Giacchino.

Each is unique.

There will never be a next JW or JG. There was never another Rozsa, Herrmann, North, Bernstein... and there will never be another Michael Giacchino.

Each is unique.

Indeed they are, but their successes are not beyond reproduction.

Shush, now.

I was trying to bait some of the less sensible folk here...

Bored? Have another wank.

I'm not sure.

I like a lot of video game music, but I do find it does get put on a pedestal because it's video game music. The whole seeming obsession the gaming industry has with becoming Hollywood is irritating to me, and the involvement of several average to bad Hollywood composers. But a lot of it is great, especially not just scores that are for "adults". I'm currently listening to Super Mario Galaxy, and it's amazing, but there's a lot of older stuff that's brilliant but maybe doesn't get the coverage.

I'm not sure it's consistently on the level of film music. Maybe it will be at some point where composers from both mediums cross over more.

I'm not sure it's consistently on the level of film music. Maybe it will be at some point where composers from both mediums cross over more.

The medium does have some way to go before it reaches the level of quality film music on a consistent level, but the gems are there to be found and there seems to be more good game scores coming through than ever before. But yeah, there's also a lot of shite (as with movie scores) - the score to Gears of War 2 instantly springing to mind - it was a disgrace how the producers binned the superb orchestral work laid down by the original game's composer Kevin Riepl; replacing him for the sequel with "Hollywood composer" Steve Jablonsky, who churned out a horrible, bland soundtrack, as expected.

Still, it shouldn't really come as a surprise that game producers wish to replicate Hollywood, should it?

I didn't think so, but hey.

Have you heard the original?

No, but I was just trying to make a joke :lol: There was one track in Jablonsky's score that I liked, don't remember the rest.

Yep, here it is:

I remember posting an angry thread about the loss of Kevin Riepl in Gears of War 2.

Oh the irony.

I remember, I think it was titled "Fuck Steve Jablonsky and RCP" or something like that.

I'd say music in video games has been more consistent than music in movies for a while now. There's some incredible work in games, and I encourage anyone to seek it out. Don't be put off just because it's written for those darn vidja games. :lol:

The music in the old adventure games was the best thing that could ever happen to game-music. Specially with those LucasArts classics, like the five Monkey Island's, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, The Dig and others... The great thing about these games was that the music was interactive, in a very cinematic way. Nowadays they'll compose something for the background that doesn't change at all if you get attacked or not. For example, how much better would have Medal of Honor (Giacchino's ones were brilliant) been if the music changed progrevislly depending on your actions? I don't mean in a "copy and paste" form, but in a way that really seems like a film score. Those who come from the 80's or 90's will probably get what I mean.

I think the late 80s/early 90s were the golden age for tunes in games. Production values are skyrocketing these days, but I'm not sure if the music is as catchy. Then again, I suppose it isn't meant to be.

With very...VERY few exceptions, videogames and anything associated with them is of interest only to the feeble.

I would rather spend the day wiping the saliva of the windows of a bus that took a group of people with Down-Syndrome to the zoo then play any kind of video game.

Try listening to this two cues, and tell me which one you'll remember most in a few days...

Neither. They're equally forgettable pieces. I would probably love them if I had any sentimental attachment to the games they were written for, but since I don't, they just sound like...video game music. I'm interested in film scores. I'll listen to video game music if it sounds like a really good orchestral film score, just like I'll listen to rap if it sounds like a really good orchestral film score, but the odds are similarly small. Video games are a different medium than film, and so far, I haven't heard any evidence that the kind of music I really like is being written for games.

Try listening to this two cues, and tell me which one you'll remember most in a few days...

Neither. They're equally forgettable pieces.

Bullshit.

The main theme to Zelda is one of my favorite themes of anything ever written. Ever. I prefer the theme as presented in the first original NES game, but that game BloodBoal linked is the same theme under a different arrangement. Yes, it sounds like video game music because it's being reproduced with the sounds available to 8-bit computer programming, which is a very limited palette. Were the notes to be transcribed for real instruments to be played, it would sound wonderful.

Stef, you don't like video games? Fine. There's no need to insult an entire class of unfortunates because of it.

With very...VERY few exceptions, videogames and anything associated with them is of interest only to the feeble.

I would rather spend the day wiping the saliva of the windows of a bus that took a group of people with Down-Syndrome to the zoo then play any kind of video game.

I'd rather eat the flea infested beard of the man in your avatar than submit to the opinion of anyone who willfully dresses in high visibility clothing as a sign of patriotism!

Yes, it sounds like video game music because it's being reproduced with the sounds available to 8-bit computer programming, which is a very limited palette. Were the notes to be transcribed for real instruments to be played, it would sound wonderful.

That's not it. I mean, obviously the 8-bit sounds contribute to the issue, but they have a certain charm to them. My problem is with the composition itself. Stereotypical video game music performed by a live orchestra tends to still sound like stereotypical video game music.

Whatever. I'm not arguing with someone who's being racist about their brands of music as if music were something to assign race to.

I've heard symphonic film scores recorded by real instruments, including some written by some very highly regarded here, that sound terrible and I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, which I'd rather hear a video game score.

It's gotten to the point that with so many video game scores on my iPod, or waiting in the wings, I am considering using a "video game soundtrack" genre to more quickly distinguish them.

Yeah, but at the end of the day you've got red hair.

Now, it sounds more like that :

Oh, it does NOT get much better than that. Twilight Princess is the best Zelda score, hands down.

I agree about the late 80s/early 90s thing, you were hard pressed to find a bad score for an NES or SNES game, almost all of them had quality music. But I'd argue that as the overall quality might have dipped a bit, the top echelon has gotten better over the last 10 or 15 years.

Yeah, but at the end of the day you've got red hair.

I forgot he's a ginger! Ahahahaahahahahaha. :lol:

Whatever. I'm not arguing with someone who's being racist about their brands of music as if music were something to assign race to.

:joy: All music is not created equal. I enjoy some of it more than I enjoy other music, just like everyone else. If our tastes differ, that's fine. I'm just stating my own personal tastes, and I apologize if I gave the impression that my views were anything more than that.

If anyone doesn't enjoy that I have to seriously question their taste in music.

That's an excellent piece. Now show me a significant number of video game scores that maintain that level of quality throughout, and I'll be happy to revise my opinion. :D I mean, John Williams' concert suites and main titles and whatnot are great, but I wouldn't be much of a fan of his if that's all he'd written.

Time to bring out the big guns, then.

(The music "really" start at 1:22 in the second video). If that doesn't make you change your mind, at least for a bit, then maybe VG music is not made for you (or maybe you're not made for VG music.:P You choose).

The part starting at 3:43...:thumbup: I would like to hear more of that in orchestral game concerts.

I like the Chrono Cross stuff, although I've heard another arrangement that I preferred. As for the Zelda stuff...well, I'm sorry, but one of the themes that crops up so often in that arrangement really rubs me the wrong way. Don't like it at all. It's a really well-done arrangement, but that's not enough to compensate for the melody just flat-out annoying me. The rest of the material is pretty good, but still nothing I feel any particular need to listen to again. Which is the same reaction I have to all the other music posted above.

Sorry, I must sound like a total troll bringing all my negativity into these threads. :P I truly am happy for anyone who enjoys this stuff more than I do, and it's not like there's something objectively wrong with the music. It just doesn't usually do much for me unless I have an attachment to the game.

On a whim played through the Harry Potter and The Halfblood Prince game and was amazed at how much better the score was than Hooper's. James Hannigan demonstrates more talent in the first 30 seconds of this track than the entirety of Hooper's tragically underwhelming score. Game sucked, but that's another matter entirely.