Video Game Music

Quintus

• 2 weeks later...

A glimpse at the recording session for the (upcoming) "The Book of Unwritten Tales 2", with music by Benny Oschmann:

Also the orchestral main theme:
https://soundcloud.com/bennyoschmann/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2-main-theme

Generally Benny Oschmann's orchestral reel is really fantastic:
https://soundcloud.com/bennyoschmann/sets/the-settlers-7

TITANIC STRUGGLE

from Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2

Such an awesome track it needs to be put in big bold letters.

The way it builds and builds blows my mind (and my eardrums haha).

Ok, it could be called a wall of sound, but that don't mind me. Subtle this ain't... (Y)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After months of work I'm very excited to finally present my latest creation, the 2nd Part of my Final Fantasy VIII Medley, in the form of a true Progressive Rock Epic ;)

Featuring many talented musicians from all the world !

WOW to the tenth power ! :rock:

Truly spectacular... the most epic FF VIII music video ever? You better believe it.

Loved the many shots of performers combined with in-game footage. Editing was pretty much perfect, as was the playing.

This brought back tons of memories, couldn't recognize every bit of music, but the ones I know are spot-on.

Kudos to everyone involved, you did Nobuo proud. Now send this video to him, he must love every second of it. :worship:

I'm sure you expected a comment like this if you see what band I'm into? ;)

WOW to the tenth power ! :rock:

Truly spectacular... the most epic FF VIII music video ever? You better believe it.

Loved the many shots of performers combined with in-game footage. Editing was pretty much perfect, as was the playing.

This brought back tons of memories, couldn't recognize every bit of music, but the ones I know are spot-on.

Kudos to everyone involved, you did Nobuo proud. Now send this video to him, he must love every second of it. :worship:

I'm sure you expected a comment like this if you see what band I'm into? ;)

Thanks man !

Yeah I bet my main drumming influence sounded pretty evident to you ^^

Discovering prog 15 years ago with Metropolis Part 2 absolutely changed my life, so I owe DT and especially MP a lot of things.

He was kind enough to play one of my French Horn Tributes to DT before each show during the '09 Progressive Nation European Tour ( seeing the faces of 3000 metalheads listening to 17 minutes of french horn is something I'll never forget :P )

I also did some work for him ( for Flying Colors to be exact )

To this day he's still quite simply the one artist I admire the most !

Anyway, thanks for your kind words dude!

Very glad you enjoyed the medley ;)

Hey Marc, I've just listened to part I, which is just as brilliant as part II and then I noticed I could somehow buy these medleys, which is something I definitely want to do. :yes:

I've been only a fan of DT since 2007, SFAM being the one that someone made me listen to and I was impressed beyond belief. I had never heard such music and musicianship. Then I bought Octavarium, Falling into Infinity and Systematic Chaos and I was hooked. :worship:

Quel beau travail extraordinaire, Marc et bonne continuation. J'espère voir beaucoup plus de vidéos comme ça. :beerchug:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More music from Benny Oschmann's soundtrack to "The Book of Unwritten Tales 2":

https://soundcloud.com/bennyoschmann/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2-chapter-i-score-excerpts

https://soundcloud.com/bennyoschmann/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2-chapter-ii-score-excerpts

A lot of Williams-inspired stuff in there!

There is always something about Chinese ethnic music that really touches my musical mind.

Even in a purely action-driven mmorpg like the Mists of Pandari has mesmerizing sounds of gamelan, Chinese percussion, and plucked strings (like the Guzheng and Pipa):

It has a real Silk Road Project feel to it with its interweaving of both Eastern and Western instruments.

Every release of World of Warcraft has some of the most awesome sounding orchestral scoring. Mists of Pandaria being one of their best.

Mostly excellent music coming from the Blizzard family of composers (Russell Brower, Derek Duke, Jason Hayes, Edo Guidotti, Glenn Stafford, etc.)

I particularly love the brooding darkness of Diablo III: Reaper of Souls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56bbcDEnWJQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afZwq3DouGA

A couple of observations:

"Chain of Fates" has a real Danny Elfman feel to it due to the soft horns and terse strings that play at a quiet, yet intense dynamic. Right around 1:24, the woodwinds come with their own miniature arpeggiations while the pre-existing instruments continue to slowly build in volume and intensity without sounding too loud and in-your-face with its ostinato.

It even follows a very simple chord progression over and over again:

Eb - Bb-min - Bmaj - Bb7

From Marty O'Donnell & Mike Salvatori, these are the best IMO:

Halo 2 vol. 2

Halo 3 --> top pick if only one

Halo 3 ODST

There's Halo 4 by Neil Davidge, which I love but is a completely different sound.

Yeah Halo 3 probably has the most rounded material due to the way O'Donnell used the preexisting themes and melded them with new ones to create a satisfying arc. Halo 2 is a close second, but then again only Halo CE has awesomeness like Under Cover of Night. Oh and Halo Reach, while not featuring Master Chief thematics, is choc full of highlights. Some people say that ODST is the best of the lot, which I don't agree with, but again there is some very nice music in there.

Do your own complication album! It's what I had to do (got to edit out those long and uninteresting droning ambience parts out anyway).

Btw, did anyone hear what the Skywalker Symphony did with the new Halo 2 remaster? It's good! A big improvement over the their previous stab at the music as heard in the remaster of the first game a couple of years ago. They put it out on a double CD album in case you're interested.

Strange, Reach is the weakest from where I'm sitting. After the excellent overture and beginning of track 2 it takes a nosedive into generic territory. I like that recurring 2-note motif but overall the length and lack of memorable tunes makes this the least enjoyable for me. ODST has a cool ambience, guitar rock, and a brilliant finale.

And I was worried that the second remaster's album would follow the same trend as the first, which maybe holds the worst album presentation of all the Halo's. I love some of the reworked tracks, but that's because they were already seriously good themes to begin with. It's just that how they were sequenced didn't make sense whatsoever. If you say it's a big improvement then I'll need to buy that too. :drool:

I also forgot to mention the soundtrack to Halo Legends, mostly orchestral renditions of the first Halo, and they're great.

I've been listening to the World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor gamerip for a couple of days, I have to do it in segments because it's almost 7 hours long... :eek:

But man, it's seriously epic. These guys from the Blizzard composing team know how to write huge and meaty orchestral music, that's for sure.

There's almost no boring, meandering stuff, but overall it lacks sort of a theme and an overarching structure.

If you dig rousing orchestral fanfares and big choral moments, you will find much to like. But there's also some more ethereal magical music tucked away in there.

Now it'll take some work to get a sort of cohesive and well-rounded album out of it. Love big music like this, so it's not a chore at all to get through all the alternates (which are found in the same cue).

Here's an example of the battle-oriented sound you can expect, which is from the official soundtrack. But there's much wonderful music missing as you can gather from the rip's length.

• 2 weeks later...

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

Listen to its ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS main theme, then go and buy the WAY TOO SHORT * soundtrack album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ_toZP3UvY

* Only a mere 23 minutes long, but not lacking in quality whatsoever.

I'm listening to this score at the moment

It may be samples but it's way better than the old FF days

Well FF X re-mastered soundtrack sounded a lot better than the original too

The HD re-releases of both Kingdom Hearts games use real-recorded elements. I think they just recorded the strings, piano and woodwinds for the first re-release but the second one uses a full orchestra.

Honestly the quality is mind-boggingly good, almost the real thing. Though some instruments could be mistaken for the real thing, others still have that synthy sound to them.

Not a bad track. I also like the remixed Traverse Town a lot. That saxophone !! :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm just gonna on record and say that this music is one of the best end credit scores of any RPG in existence.

This particular digital rendering of the track is the best one I've found so far. I could just get lost in it.

I guess this thread is where I should have posted this:

Grim Fandango Remastered was released today and seems to be getting rave reviews. I asked Peter McConnell on Twitter what the chances for a soundtrack release are. He favourited the tweet but didn't reply... I'll be optimistic and take that as a positive sign.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...