HOOK: "Prologue"

Jay

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would I slow it down if it was that the OST was too fast?

No the OST was too slow!

I mean, pitchwise, Dmeister said that it was out of tune, and that it should be in one key, or the other, instead of in between the two keys.

Well, yea, the entire piece plays 8.884% too slow so of course it's out of tune!

You can either speed it up by 8.844 percent, OR convert it up to 48,000khz then re-SAMPLING it back down to 44,100 khz

The bolded answer Jason gave is the simplest and most direct method. In Sound Forge, you would right-click on the sampling rate displayed in the bottom right-hand corner and select "48,000" (this will in-effect speed up the playback to the correct pitch). Then choose Process / Resample / Resample and set the following:

This process will resample the file to 44.1 kHz without adjusting pitch.

Voila!!

The pitch is odd sounding as high as its suppose to be and as heard in the alternate prologue, but at the same time, the album is out of tune...its delightfully inbetween pitches heh...

The lower key always sounded more accurate performance wise to me...

The higher key though is the way they perform it, matches the same sequence of music from the Flying Scene, and is backed up by being in pitch... I hate this though becuase the violins in the opening sound so wrong! but eh...it's right lol

You can either speed it up by 8.844 percent, OR convert it up to 48,000khz then re-SAMPLING it back down to 44,100 khz

The bolded answer Jason gave is the simplest and most direct method. In Sound Forge, you would right-click on the sampling rate displayed in the bottom right-hand corner and select "48,000" (this will in-effect speed up the playback to the correct pitch). Then choose Process / Resample / Resample and set the following:

This process will resample the file to 44.1 kHz without adjusting pitch.

Voila!!

Yes perfect, thank you!

Now I just want to know why it's still incorrect speed on the LaLaLand release. It's not that I really care...after all it is easy to fix. But the curiosity is bugging me.

Yeah, perhaps. Though I'd think a red flag would come up when they found the alternate prologue....It should have went something like this: "hey, whoa this alternate is way faster...oh wait a tick....the normal prologue is too damn slow!"

[Edit]

Oh right, yeah it's in the liner notes too....

I think that when they incorrectly mastered it to 48000hz, williams/the album producer heard it, thought it sounded cool, than when it came time for the LLL, Williams/The OST producer decided to keep it that way.

Or the LLL producers forgot/didnt realize..

They mention that the speed and pitch are different then in the trailer. they don't say which one is incorrect.

Surely you understand that is the most political way to explain things?

I assume the right speed is the one on the same Master Tape that contain the rest of the recordings

Yep

Was the Prologue recorded during the Hook sessions, or at an earlier stage, like the original version of the Harry Potter trailer music.

Much earlier

They mention that the speed and pitch are different then in the trailer. they don't say which one is incorrect.

Surely you understand that is the most political way to explain things?

I'm certain La-La land would have given us everything we wanted on this release in the best quality they could find, if they could have.

I recieved the CD today and the speed issue is mentioned in the liners, so....

Damn... Still waiting for mine... :(

My delivery of the CD has speed issues... damn those international orders!!!

Well it seems to vary. Also the dispatch of those orders from retailers seems to suffer from same speed issues.

Jason, i understand they cannot write."on our CD the Prologue plays at the wrong speed and pitch".

they could have written: "on our CD the prologue plays faster because williams likes it that way, just like he did on the ost."

if it was not williams imput, then i dont see how they could leave it uncorrected when no quality loss is made in the process.

Because I'm telling you. I can have John Takis come in here and back me up if you like.

Because I'm telling you. I can have John Takis come in here and back me up if you like.

Wheel him in!

I'll got fetch the trumpeteers, timpanists and choir! I want this entrance to be one to remember!

Wheel him in!

I'll got fetch the trumpeteers, timpanists and choir! I want this entrance to be one to remember!

tumblr_luzs6p5AI31qdku5lo1_500.gif

Honestly I have not idea why are we still even arguing about this Prologue business. It has been cleared by you John and Jason. But I guess people here take badly to authority, with either mock defiance or real. :P

I suspect a close encounter of John Williams kind with the producers to be the reason.

i want to know why it was used in the LLL set, just that.

I guess they used the OST album master and that was the only source available for that piece, so maybe they preferred to leave it that way instead of doing some artificial tinkering to bring it back at the original correct speed.

I guess they used the OST album master and that was the only source available for that piece, so maybe they preferred to leave it that way instead of doing some artificial tinkering to bring it back at the original correct speed.

So you don't suspect that Williams might have preferred the album version and thus asked for them to retain it on the presentation?

So do all who live to see such track times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the track time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Manuel, besides the will of Williams. The album producer was meant to slow down the track. In which case, you were also meant to speed it up. And that is an encouraging thought.

Even the very wisest cannot see all ends BloodBoal. So do not be so hasty to deal blame and judgement.