Matrix Live - Royal Albert Hall

Jacck

Check it:

http://www.royalalbe...ve/default.aspx

Following on from the success of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Hall is promoting The Matrix with live score performed by the NDR Pops Orchestra from Hamburg, Germany.Starring Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne, the Matrix played a groundbreaking role in the development of the science-fiction genre, dealing with the border between reality and the virtual world and taking cinema into the 4th dimension...

Relive the wonder of this visionary Oscar-winning film as over 85 musicians bring the score to life within the magical setting of the Royal Albert Hall.

NDR Pops Orchestra

Frank Strobel - conductor

Booking my tickets ASAP! :D

Frank Strobel is definitely one of the conductors who's doing the best job to promote film music in concert halls around the world. He already conducted several concerts of Williams' music across Europe; he's doing a series of film music concerts in Koln this season (including tributes to Rota, Herrmann and Elfman); he also conducted several live-to-projection concerts, including Fritz Lang's Metropolis and Ejzenstein's Alexander Nevskij.

A concert featuring a tribute to the Burton/Elfman collaboration was initially planned and announced for this season at the Kolner Philharmonie, but now it seems disappeared. Anyway, check out this website for future announcements:

http://www.filmphilharmonie.de/index.php?id=127&L=1

That's pretty cool, but October? They do like planning these things in advance. I'll seriously consider it (getting home after my last visit to RAH wasn't plain sailing but that involved waiting for autographs for 30 mins).

A concert featuring a tribute to the Burton/Elfman collaboration was initially planned and announced for this season at the Kolner Philharmonie, but now it seems disappeared. Anyway, check out this website for future announcements:

Ah too bad. That's why I asked, I couldn't find it :)

• 3 years later...

A fascinating watch. So "Wake Up" was actually intended to be the finale to the film but they asked Don Davis to score it just in case they didn't get the rights? Interesting.

I have major respect for Tom Morello but consider Zack de la Rocha to be a fuckwitted, irritating, chipmunk voiced idealogue, so have no hangs up about Wake Up being taken of context or Calm Like a Bomb, for that matter.

Wow, 45 minutes. I've never heard him talk for more than like 45 seconds before this.

And why isn't he using the correct string seating? I always thought the scores sounded like he did.

A fascinating watch. So "Wake Up" was actually intended to be the finale to the film but they asked Don Davis to score it just in case they didn't get the rights? Interesting.

Yes, I think he mentioned that already in some old interviews. Anyway, it is almost the same as with Chateau Swashbuckling in The Matrix Reloaded. The piece was never really considered to be in the picture, but Davis scored that, just in case. I love it, but they wouldn't have used it anyway - it's a bit too far removed from the rest.

And the original ending is actually in the picture... well... at the very end of the credits.

Karol

• 5 years later...

It returns to the RAH on October 28, 2020

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2020/the-matrix-live/

Sadly, with all the mass shootings that have happened in the USA, I can't see any music venue, there, would want to book this, even if this year marks the film's 20th anniversary.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

'The Matrix - Live'

The San Francisco Symphony Orchestra is doing this again.

July 1st and 2nd, 2022 at Davies Symphony Hall, San Francisco, CA.

https://www.sfsymphony.org/Buy-Tickets/2021-22/THE-MATRIX

They did this in July 2013.  

Here's a boat load of YouTube videos of that performance:

Now I won't have to go to the UK to catch this, if the RAH decides to rebook it.

Yet again, a lot can happen in one year.  The 'Against-Gun-Violence' protesters can force the San Fran Symphony to remove the program from the schedule.

The San Fran Symphony is also repeating BTTF.  They did this in July 2015.

This makes me even more pissed that they are overlooking 'Superman'.

• 1 year later...