What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I stopped trusting reviews years ago, for anything. I browse gamer word-of-mouth over published reviews nowadays. Comments sections and message board discussions etc, they're the places to look. Doing that, I've also come to realise that critical darling games are usually extremely divisive with the actual buying public, which aligns with my own general view with all sorts of different titles. Read the usual haunts and one will find that people love Mad Max and want an expansion/sequel.

I'm playing it @60fps on PC, but apparently the PS4 version has pretty similar image quality (albeit @30fps in motion). Well worth picking up.

Now, those look amazing indeed. Those sure do make me want to play it. But I'm neck down into MGS, and I'm not coming out for another couple of weeks, if not months.

And Quintus, you have an eye for framing shots... :yes:

Well the game looks very cinematic. I don't know what it is, but there's some sort of graphic filter used that makes it look very aesthetically pleasing. It makes the art in the game stand out. And I haven't even seen it in motion.

Still playing it myself, Quintus ... I think it IS my game of the year. Such is the new-found appreciation for 'open-world' games it's given me, I've added Just Cause 3 to my Christmas list.

That's the thing, I generally get bored and never finish 99% of open-world games I play. I start to want to put them down and play the latest whatever else has just come out, but Mad Max I am totally enamoured with.

Well the game looks very cinematic. I don't know what it is, but there's some sort of graphic filter used that makes it look very aesthetically pleasing. It makes the art in the game stand out. And I haven't even seen it in motion.

The time of day by far has the biggest impact on the look of a given environment. At times and from the right angle, the image can appear photo-realistic.

Well, my PS4 is off to Sony. I hope they fix it properly since my crashing problem seems to be a pervasive issue affecting some consoles . After much reading I decided the console was probably defective instead of simple game crashes

In any case I may buy the extended 3 years warranty on PSN. I think the PS4 is more shoddily built than the PS3

How many of you had the CE-34878-0 Error (application failure) on a regular basis?

From what I've been able to read in geek message boards, the PS4 is kind of built like a PC and not like a traditional console, and what seems to happen is that crashes can corrupt the hard drive or something like that, leading to permanent damage or corrupt save problems

I dunno, it kind of seems odd the problem started with Witcher 3 and now it happens more often with other games

I'm not completely convinced it's your console hardware at fault, but rather the relatively obscure and possibly unpolished JPRGs you've play are the cause (rough games crash). I haven't experienced a single issue with my PS4 system, and don't know anyone who has.

I've had two system crashes if memory serves right. But those were back when I bought mine. Haven't had a crash this year.

I also hope the standby feature of the PS4 is much better than the one that exists for PC, because I use that feature a lot nowadays (MGS V).

On PC I had a serious crash that FUBAR'd my boot record, forcing me to do a complete OS re-installation.

A mid range PC. The game is well optimised though (for a change) and runs on max settings on modest hardware. If they hadn't locked it to 30fps on PS4 it would probably go way beyond that clip for much of the gameplay. I'd like to see some captures of the PS4 version actually, just to see how well it compares.

A mid range PC. The game is well optimised though (for a change) and runs on max settings on modest hardware. If they hadn't locked it to 30fps on PS4 it would probably go way beyond that clip for much of the gameplay. I'd like to see some captures of the PS4 version actually, just to see how well it compares.

I took a couple screencaps as I was playing last night but nothing so "cinematic" as the shots you posted. If I remember, Ill upload them tonight.

I was under the impression those were PS4 screenshots earlier.

Yeah mine has rest mode permanently enabled. That's one thing the Xbox One does better, though.

Wait, what does Xbone do better? Unless I've missed it, it has no Standby feature.

Sleep mode on Xbox One will literally return you to the the game you were last playing, almost instantly, frozen at the pause screen how you left it. There's no boot screens or anything, it just comes on.

Sleep mode on Xbox One will literally return you to the the game you were last playing, almost instantly, frozen at the pause screen how you left it. There's no boot screens or anything, it just comes on.

PS4 does the same. Enter rest mode while in game and don't close the application.

PS4 does the same. Enter rest mode while in game and don't close the application.

I didn;t know you could enter Rest mode in game. I always return to the game menu before quitting

Is the Xbox One that instant? I've never tried it on mine. The PS4's "few moments" are literally that, a couple seconds of the boot up music and then you're right in the game where you left off. It'll have a small snapshot of the XMB at the top to show that you've logged back in, but the game screen is right there. When I head to my set up to start playing, the first thing I do is hit the PS button on the controller, and by the time I get the TV and receiver on, I'm ready to play.

Really? Whenever I've tried it it still takes more than a few moments and still gave the impression of a 'boot-up' sequence. Maybe they've sped it up.

Oh right, I think it needs to be activated first in the settings (Power saving). It didn't work me either at first.

Really? Whenever I've tried it it still takes more than a few moments and still gave the impression of a 'boot-up' sequence. Maybe they've sped it up.

Oh right, I think it needs to be activated first in the settings (Power saving). It didn't work me either at first.

Yeah, it's still quite a bit slower than the Xbox One instant on feature, hence why I said it's not as good.

PS4 back, they did replace the hard drive so it was busted

Don't trust the durability of this console ,so I got the 3 year Service Warranty for the console through PSN (49$)

I've started a Disgaea game. Seems really confusing

I'll try to stick with it but I don't like it so far

I've sort of run out of games otherwise. I have some titles on the xbox360 and PS3 I never really felt like playing and nothing for the Ps4 for a while (except Fallout 4 but I'll wait )

Does it connect with the films' universe in any way or is it a standalone experience?

And another 50 hour game? It's okay if you don't want to play a lot that comes out, but someone like that is interested in so many genres and franchises, and keeps replaying the old favorites, I prefer it when a game gives me a good 10-15 hours worth.

I stretched it out to that because I for once REALLY enjoyed spending time in this particular open world they'd created. Normally I'm just like you with large open ended games, but something about Mad Max felt compulsive. There's still plenty for me to mop up in the game, but I'll probably leave it where it is. If you wanted to blitz through the whole thing ignoring the distractions you could probably get it beat in about 20 hours.

As for the movies, I'd say the game its cues from the original Mel Gibson films in a big way.