What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Yeah I know. Btw, there's a free trial of Destiny on the PSN store if you were ever curious. 

Rumour has it Borderlands is set to borrow back from Destiny and move into the 'shared world' design for its sequel. 

That's probably far off considering the problems with Battleborn. Destiny has been influencing a lot of FPSs, but so far the only game to have mimicked it successfully is COD, in my opinion. Advanced Warfare tried to implement the loot drop system combined with Battlefield's pack system, but it was horrible. Black Ops III's black market loot system is done really well, I think. I also think more developers and publishers are willing to go in and radically changed the game after launch since Bungie has been doing it successfully. There have already been some major tweaks to COD that have the made the online experience better. 

Yeah, I'm personally very happy that we are now at 'games as a service' level in the evolution of the medium. Patches and updates aren't just about squishing bugs and rebalancing weapons anymore; a good developer/publisher combo can keep a game feeling fresh and feature rich with quality post release support. The likes of Battlefield 4 and Destiny are showing how modern games can grow significantly in the months and even years after release. Two games which were at one point on very shaky ground, but now have large and actively engaged communities.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Borderlands 2. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep is one of the best DLC's ever

I was wondering why this game was hard and apparently it's made to play coop and difficult to solo

So I got another DLC (Pirates Booty). Had to "recover" my  xbox account through a series of complicated steps, because it just decided to stop working and refused to log me in (it said my password didn't work anymore or whatever)  .Another reminder why I don't want anything to do with microsoft accounts anymore. I've had so many hassles of that type

Games for Windows Live is garbage and it's being phased out almost completely, but I'm not familiar with Microsoft rendering other games completely unplayable. If you want to play a game badly enough  you'll figure it out. If you can't, then you must not want it badly enough. 

Maybe Live is being DDOS attacked again. Generally the Live service is excellent, or at least it was on the 360. 

Finally arrived at the last explorable area on Kingdoms of Amalur. It's taken me about 55 hours; which isn't bad for a game which people apparently ploughed 150 hours into. Ideally I'll have it finished tonight. It's dragging out now. 

So as you guys know I'm more of an old-school, retro-gamer;  I grew up playing NES, then SNES, then N64, and also have played a ton of Genesis, Wii, and Wii U games.  But I've never really been into the Xbox games or Playstation games, only having really spent time with Halo 1 and 2.  So as far as modern games go, I just haven't been all that interested, though to be fair I haven't played much.  More because life has gotten in the way of having any video game time than any kind of strict preference.

Well over the weekend I had a chance to play an XBox One (now that I think about it, maybe it was an XBox 360, I dunno) and the game that I played on it was

Deadpool

It was kind of a funny game, with Deadpool talking back to you and commenting on the game and stuff, etc.  It was also fairly easy because any time you get into trouble, you can just find a place to hide and your health fully restores.  I played through the first level (through hijacking the helicopter).  It was fairly fun but..... damn there's a lot of buttons to remember in modern games.  ABXY and the 4 triggers all did different things.  I kept hitting the wrong ones :P Nintendo games are much simpler in comparison....

I'm interested in Deadpool. It disappeared from Steam quietly before the rebooted movie began its hype mill. Now it's back and often on sale for $20 but I keep passing for now. 

It was fun.  It reminded me a bit of the first Arkham Asylum game that I played a bit of once

Would have been even better with Reynold's voice

I don't generally play half arsed comic book tie-in games, but if this is a rough diamond like the Wolverine game was, and anywhere near as fun, I'll be happy to try it out. Plus the developer made the awesome War for Cybertron, so I'll take some notice just based on that. 

Oh wait it's £29.99 on Steam. A 2013 release which costs more than many brand new triple-A titles. Er, no... you're alright.  

I'm a few hours into The Old Republic.  Once I tuned out the distracting and mostly unnecessary MMO elements it started to feel like an actual continuation of the KOTOR series.  The 9 hour (literally) updates really put a damper on things though. 

Finally, finished Uncharted last night... and started Uncharted 2 immediately after. About halfway through that one, it is actually a huge improvement and I'm loving it. These are the kind of games I've been missing. In the world of big open-world adventures, I was sort of longing for a linear adventure story that would push the narrative and break-neck speed. The PS4 version looks very good.

Karol

Other players complained that the same design 'safety nets' made the platforming and traversal feel dumbed down and too 'hand-holdy'. Back in the day, player error meant death again and again and again. There's a lot to be said about that on both sides I think. 

As long as there are spots (and there are many) where you just don't know where the correct path continues, blind death jumps can be a major pain in the ass. It's basically the same thing as making screen edges red herrings, because you just might have to jump there, but if you do it, you might just have to repeat the whole thing all over again.

Indeed. A bad camera is a cardinal sin in a third person game. If climbing, the design of the environment should also draw the player's eye towards the next shimmy spot. 

Just finished the game. It was hugely entertaining. Felt like a fast-paced adventure movie.

Now I've got only Uncharted 3 to complete.

Oh, and if the series continues to be so great, I cannot absolutely wait for Uncharted 4 (which is coming out in April, I believe?).

Karol

Finished Kingdoms of Amalur, took me 61 hours. A good RPG with a quality fight system; although I enjoyed Fable 2 overall more, which had a story which was much more straightforward and didn't drag out towards the end. 

I really enjoyed Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on console. I've wanted a sequel for a while but the MMO is not at all what I had in mind.

Kingdom Hearts 2.9 (whatever the fuck that means), is being released on PS4. You might want to hold off on that one.

The past couple months has been more Fallout 4 and Black Ops III for me; with Gone Home squeezed in there somewhere. I dove back into the deep end with Fallout in hopes to finish most of everything up so I can put it aside and free up time for other games. I'm nearly there, now having reached several points in the story where permanent world-altering decisions need to be made. I'm roughly 120 hours in though, so who knows what else will pop up in that game that will sidetrack me. It's endlessly satisfying in a way only Bethesda can muster. I think it's the longest I've played any of their games.

Black Ops III is still that highly addictive COD multiplayer that I love so much. It's pretty much more of II, straight down to the horrific campaign, but I'm not complaining. It's the FPS I've enjoyed the most since the PS4 launched.

Gone Home was something that I had been waiting to reach consoles for a long time before I played it. Never knew anything about it other than that big thing about homosexual awakening. Have read many great things about it, and I thought that was supposed to be some sociopolitical statement that wasn't revealed until the end, but it's fairly obvious early on. Ultimately, it's just a beautifully told love story that I enjoyed very much. I'm starting to really like these "walking simulator" style environmental storytelling games. Looking forward to Firewatch, which is supposedly a similar style. However, that one is still not available for pre-order anywhere, and it's due for release in about a month, so I suspect it will be delayed.

I fitted my new processor the other night so I'm planning on playing Fallout 4 at last. Made a start on it yesterday, it's most promising. Hoping to get it done in under 50hrs if possible. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I fitted my new processor the other night so I'm planning on playing Fallout 4 at last. Made a start on it yesterday, it's most promising. Hoping to get it done in under 50hrs if possible. 

The main quest line can definitely be done in under 50 hours. 

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

It was a toss between that and Fallout, but I haven't played a first person game for a while, so Fallout won. Next, The Witness. 

I've been waiting for The Witness for years, but I feel like for $40 I should be getting a game case and a disc :P

Agreed, it's more expensive than anyone was really expecting it to be. I'll possibly nab it a heavily discounted price on PC in a few weeks. The PS4 version won't come down for ages. 

Spent some time with The Division tonight. Ooo shit… it's good. It's very, very good. 

Destiny finally has some direct competition in the console MMO space. 

I need to play it more, but I booted up the beta and immediately disliked how it handled and went back to Fallout 4. Graphics were also incredibly worse than Ubisoft's E3 vids, though I know to never expect consistency when it comes to that type of marketing. Just overall disappointing since I had high hopes for it. I got my platinum for Fallout and now need to pick another game to tackle next.

Mad Max, AC Syndicate, or Just Cause 3?

I've been playing Stick of Truth, and the lady enjoys watching. Win win. 

I had to laugh because when I went to the post office to get Mr Slave's package, I thought it was my phone vibrating..... 

17 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I need to play it more, but I booted up the beta and immediately disliked how it handled and went back to Fallout 4. Graphics were also incredibly worse than Ubisoft's E3 vids, though I know to never expect consistency when it comes to that type of marketing. Just overall disappointing since I had high hopes for it. I got my platinum for Fallout and now need to pick another game to tackle next.

Mad Max, AC Syndicate, or Just Cause 3?

Haven't played the latter, but the first and third are both very enjoyable. Mad Max maybe just edges JC3.