What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I played one hand of Caravan and I decided that I would not play another one. I'm about 10 hours into Fallout and I have done basically nothing in the main story. I've been taking every side quest that comes my way.

Just found Duke for $40 brand new. Sold!

Why not just rent it from Gamefly? What if you don't like it?

I know, I know... but man, sometimes I just feel compelled to speak up. So much money spent that could be saved. Believe me, you'll cherish having money saved the more life goes on

Playing Bayonetta.

This is a really cool game . Think God of War 3 + Darksiders

Unlike GOW3 , this one has a 3D player controlled motion camera

I generally don't play games, but recently I grabbed a copy of old Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy game from 2003. It's quite enjoyable actually.

Karol

I never finished that. I absolutely loved Jedi Outcast. With Academy, I had two problems: The storyline seemed too free/more vague and less involving (but perhaps I just didn't get far enough) and, more importantly, I was at that time playing with a remote keyboard, where some keys had a tendency to miss sending the keyup event. It's no fun running on a small ledge, doing just a quick side step to avoid a laser blast and then dying because your character doesn't stop running sidewards.

Back in the day, I never finished Outcast. I found some of the boss levels to be too difficult, and so I cheated, which quickly made me lose interest. I don't think I played it on the easiest level, though.

But I found Academy to be supremely beatable. I think it's because they add more Jedi powers, so by the end of the game, I was just lifting and dropping bad guys over chasms using Force grip, or pushing them out of the way with Force shove.

I do understand Marian's concern about the vague storyline. It's because of the non-linear way you can select and play missions, which makes the story dependent on time instead of location. Play three out of these four, then you advance to the next three out of four, and finally the last group, or however many iterations it was. All the while, the storyline of the game weaves in and out of those missions. Scripted events will happen after a certain number of missions, not just because you're on a certain planet. I did play every single mission because I wanted the experience points, though all the weapons became pointless once you got good enough with the lightsabre to never need anything else. And through the magic of multiple savegames on the PC, I was able to beat the game on both Light and Dark side endings.

Going back to the loosey-goosey storline, if we'll recall KOTOR, that plot was also largely time dependent, not location dependent. Once leaving Dantooine with the quest to find four map locators to find the Star Forge, on Tatooine, Kashyyk, Manaan, and Koribaan, certain events would happen on a specific planet in the order you visited, not because they were locked to that planet. For example, the bounty hunter you evaded on Taris, Calo Nord, would confront you as the boss of the first planet you visit after Dantooine, whichever that was. And you would be captured by the Leviathan -- and lose Bastilla -- after "beating" the third planet. And Darth Bandon visited you on the fourth planet you visit after Dantooine. It kept the scripted story moving inside the random nature of being able to pick the order of the planets you visited. The last time I played, I visited Kashyyk "first" to get Jolee Bindo as soon as possible, because that encounter was in fact locked to a location.

I need to play that game again.

Duke Nukem Forever

Severely dated, but that's expected from a game that's been in development for 12 years. The action is lackluster and repetitive, but it plays exactly like Duke Nukem did in the 90s, which is why I enjoy it. If and when they make another installment, I'm sure it will be a much better game.

Red Faction: Armageddon

THQ has changed significantly from its prime days on the PS2. When Guerilla was announced as 3rd person, I had lowered my expectations incredibly. It turned out to be a fairly good game, but nowhere near the greatness of the first two. Now we have Armageddon, and when it was announced that it would have aliens, I had to lower my expectations again. This game is Dead Space and Guerilla combined. Taking the game underground and turning it into a linear survival horror is the worst possible thing they could have done. It ruins the whole appear the franchise had. The gameplay mechanics are still top notch, but after a couple hours I've already grown tired of the lifeless - literally and figuratively - endless tunnels.

They ditched the old school multiplayer of Guerilla for a COD Zombies rip. I actually like this game mode though. You and 3 others take on waves of aliens. Why is it better than the retarded COD Zombies?

1 - You can win! *Gasp!!!* That's right, you can actually beat it, the final wave being 30.

2 - You each have 3 lives! No more 2 hits from a zombie and you're down crap.

3 - If you fail in your quest to Wave 30, you can start over from your last completed wave. Get to 29 and then die? No worries, start over at 29.

4. - A bunch of maps to choose from.

If you can't tell, I despise zombies.

A sequel to DNF is in the works, but will take 144 years. Production of games in the franchise has become exponential.

So everyone's happy now. The Witcher 2 is headed to X360, and LA Noire is headed to the PC.

Wait, not Red Dead Redemption? Rockstar, you can't just hopscotch over that one! I don't wanna play Law and Order, I wanna play cowboys and Mexicans.

Duke Nukem Forever

Severely dated, but that's expected from a game that's been in development for 12 years. The action is lackluster and repetitive, but it plays exactly like Duke Nukem did in the 90s, which is why I enjoy it. If and when they make another installment, I'm sure it will be a much better game.

Twelve years? Try 15!

Apparently some guy held onto his pre-order ticket for 8 years and the developers game him a bunch of free stuff.

I was actually playing L.A. Noir earlier today to do the recent add-on case. It can get repetitive, but Quint, tell me you at least finished the Homicide desk?

Finished this Jedi Academy game last night. It wasn't hard at all (and this is coming from someone who generally doesn't play games). You just use healing powers every few minutes and then use mind trick to make your enemies kill each other and/or commit suicide. It works even on the main boss. That's kind of disappointing. He/she never even got a chance to hit me even once.

Karol

If you like short action games play Bayonetta.

It only took me 4 days to complete it ,but I did most of the levels twice because they were so amazing to look at

It's pretty hard too, harder than God of War 3 .You need to master the battle system to a minimum degree to win and not just mash buttons

I remember trying to start God Of War 3 on Hard but not being able to get past the very first fight scene :lol:

Switched it down to Medium and then never looked back. I might try and tackle it now. Demon's Souls is the only game in my experience that I haven't been able to beat on the hardest (or any in this case) difficulty level.

I play all games on the "default" difficulty setting, which is almost always medium. Making it too hard can just make a game a pain in the ass instead of an enjoyable experience.

Demon's Souls had no difficulty levels, you just played it as is...it was probably the hardest game I played but I still beat it

I typically do my first play through on Normal, then again on the hardest to nab any trophies associated with that difficulty level. For some games that I have no intention or desire to play more than once, like Mafia II and Blood Stone, I'll start on Hard.

COD games on Veteran will make you want to blow your brains out.

I started Mass Effect 2 on Insane, but got stuck at one part and never went back to try and beat it. Thinking about it now, I could barely beat Dead Space and Dead Space 2 on their Normal settings. I definitely wouldn't be able to on their hardest settings.

I typically do my first play through on Normal, then again on the hardest to nab any trophies associated with that difficulty level. For some games that I have no intention or desire to play more than once, like Mafia II and Blood Stone, I'll start on Hard.

Yeah that's the thing.I never play a second playthrough. I try to be a complete as possible on the first exploring all areas and doing all the contents but I don't care about the trophies

well, it depends. I play what comes with my retail copy of the game. I'm not interested going back to a game I played 6 months ago just because some DLC came out

IGN's Bayonetta review, they gave it a 9.5/10 and editor's choice. But apparently the PS3 port is bad

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1056885p1.html

But it gives you a chance to go back and revisit. I've done nearly everything in New Vegas, so new DLC gives me a reason to play one of my favorite games again.

In some games the DLC is some seriously awesome stuff. Can't imagine Mass Effect 2 without it.

I was actually playing L.A. Noir earlier today to do the recent add-on case. It can get repetitive, but Quint, tell me you at least finished the Homicide desk?

Yeah I got to vice. The last thing I did in the game was the treasure hunt around the city which ends at the

church

. It was both climatic and disappointing at the same time.

If you like short action games play Bayonetta.

It only took me 4 days to complete it ,but I did most of the levels twice because they were so amazing to look at

It's pretty hard too, harder than God of War 3 .You need to master the battle system to a minimum degree to win and not just mash buttons

Bayonetta has been on my to-do list since it came out. There's just too many great games constantly coming out to wade through... I dunno if I'll ever get around to it.

I play all games on the "default" difficulty setting, which is almost always medium. Making it too hard can just make a game a pain in the ass instead of an enjoyable experience.

Absolutely. I tend to pick the default as well; apart from in FPS games, where I choose the "Hard" difficulty. Which tends to below something like "Insane".

I hate cheap difficulty hikes like those found in the CoD games. Their idea of challenge is to rain grenades down on the player. Lame and lazy design.

Bayonetta has been on my to-do list since it came out. There's just too many great games constantly coming out to wade through... I dunno if I'll ever get around to it.

I go through a lot of titles, and I'm telling this one's special. Starts off a bit generic fantasty world but you have some levels near the end you can't believe the coolness of the designs, like climbing up golden halo walkways to heavenly temples

Of course it's too short a game to me. A few nights and it's over. There was still some optional fight challenges to do but they're too hard ( with a countdown timer and limited to certain moves)

Yeah I got to vice. The last thing I did in the game was the treasure hunt around the city which ends at the

church

. It was both climatic and disappointing at the same time.

I didn't find it disappointing at all. Either way, it's the peak of the game. So at least you got to that point. The very last level pulls a Third Man, which was cool, but not as fun as the Homicide desk.

Bought Valkeria Chronicles used for 34$. It's one of these games that doesn't seem to get cheaper than that even after several years of release

I play Angry Birds and Words With Friends on my phone when I'm bored.

I tried to play the Uncharted 3 beta with Quint but he was just sitting at the damn main menu for like 30 minutes! :P

You did?! When? If it was late I was probably watching tv whilst feeding the baby. Sorry man!

I'll look out for you next time I'm on :)

Hooked with dragon age... spent most of daylight hours yesterday playing...

you always have some side quest you have to complete before quitting the game XD.

What i dont like is that you can miss good stuff or a Companion if you dont do a minor quest when they designed it... I mean dog. I had to re-play most of the beggining because when i went to give the keeper the herbal mixture, everyone had gone to war...

i'm loving the arcane warrior class. i can deal decent damage with sword and sport a fancy elven armor (i can wear more, but i wouldnt look like a mage hehe), since good staves are too expensive yet, and the ones i encountered sometimes do not deal damage to powerful enemies (revenants and the like).

Never really played a F.E.A.R. game before now, but I finished the third one tonight. Very enjoyable hokum with some excellent action mechanics backed up by refreshingly decent AI. A quality title, 7/10.

It got a decent review from IGN. I have a weird "relationship" with the franchise. One time my brother, his friend, and I were in Game Stop, and his friend said to get FEAR cause it was a really great game. So he got it, went home, and it was the biggest piece of shit ever.

It probably had more to do with the PS3 port rather than the game itself, but the sound loops for the effects and stuff were only 5 seconds long. There would be an audible break, before a humming machine would keep humming. The graphics were terrible, and the gameplay glitchy. We beat it and then sold it.

We gave the sequel a chance to redeem the franchise and it was the same thing over again :lol: I only played the first level on that one and I was done.

Well I can't speak for the first two games in the franchise, but I had pretty much no problems with this latest one. As tightly scripted corridor shooters go, this one was pretty darn polished - almost to Valve/Half-Life standards.

I needed an antidote to large sandbox shooters such as Halo and Crysis, and F.E.A.R. 3 fit the bill just nicely. Every now and then you just can't beat a good, finely crafted shoot 'em up which offers challenge above and beyond merely how much damage a player can take.

i'm loving the arcane warrior class. i can deal decent damage with sword and sport a fancy elven armor (i can wear more, but i wouldnt look like a mage hehe), since good staves are too expensive yet, and the ones i encountered sometimes do not deal damage to powerful enemies (revenants and the like).

Yes ,I played a wizard that can use swords. Really came in handy near the end of the game

I started playing Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars. I think its the best of the bunch, they really have upped the gameplay. I dont think I'll be getting 100% in this one, it would take too much time.