What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Is the Uncharted 4 epilogue worth playing through? I skipped it 'cause I felt the game had come to its natural end with Nathan and Elena's joshing around on the bench by the waterside.  

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Is the Uncharted 4 epilogue worth playing through? I skipped it 'cause I felt the game had come to its natural end with Nathan and Elena's joshing around on the bench by the waterside.  

Of course it is. It's the true ending to the game and the series, and a great ending at that. 

I thought it was a tad over the top, but I suppose it did no harm. I could have taken or left it. This is a series in which a man murders hundreds of people for a pastime, so when NG paint the picture that he's a lovely guy with a daughter as their coda I sort of reject it. Uncharted games are action adventure pulp. 

28 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

This is a series in which a man murders hundreds of people for a pastime, so when NG paint the picture that he's a lovely guy with a daughter as their coda I sort of reject it. Uncharted games are action adventure pulp. 

I feel the same way about the emotional bits in the other Uncharted games (having only played the first 3).  That kind of sentimentality worked wonders in The Last of Us but it feels completely out of place in an Indiana Jones-esque adventure.  

12 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

:blink:

19 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

I thought it was a tad over the top, but I suppose it did no harm. I could have taken or left itt. This is a series in which a man murders hundreds of people for a pastime, so when NG paint the picture that he's a lovely guy with a daughter as their coda I sort of reject it. Uncharted games are action adventure pulp. 

The tension between the adventuring pulp and the humanity of the characters is definitely there. The entirety of 4 is about that dissonance, really. But I think it resonates because the "lure" of adventure is treated almost like a drug addiction, a high that Nate yearns for but can never be satisfied by, within the context of the game as a fourth entry and an ending to the story. You kind of have to look past the extent of the mass murdering to accept Nate and Elena and the rest as characters and the ending resolves to give them adventure as well as a domestic, "normal" life. It's breaching the gap between the two halves of the series and resting on some kind of beneficial compromise. At least it did for me. 

At the end of the day it's a video game. Wouldn't be as fun without, y'know, the actual gunplay. Uncharted 4 is obviously very meta in its themes, thus those story moments where the absurdity of what these characters are is directly addressed acknowledges those longtime petty complaints about the franchise.

It was a fitting ending that wasn't expected, and it leaves the door open for Sony to continue the franchise if they're so inclined. 

Meta indeed ... I was half-expecting Nathan to turn and wink down the camera after his attempt at playing Crash Bandicoot goes badly and he says 'What sort of person plays these things anyway?'  

I hated the Crash Bandicoot mini game and deliberately fell him to his death to get it over with. It was a shit game when it originally came out. 

Wow I just found out that I could borrow videogames at the library for free. And the have a huge selection, including all the weird JRPG's I played in the past few years

They even had 2 copies of Dark Souls 3 , which I recently bought for 80 bucks.

BTW I beat Dark Souls 3 yesterday. I beat the final boss in 2 tries and it was supposed to be super hard, but I really struggled on another boss for 3 hours and died countless times. It really depends how you build your character. I still have an optional area to complete

I'm about 5 hours into The Witcher 3. I got bored with the previous game pretty early on, but the open world design of this one fits its rich universe like a glove. There's a clear distinction to be made between this and Elder Scrolls games: the world of the The Witcher 3 feels lived in and believable, people are busy and don't just stand around waiting for you to trigger more generic side quests. I like that. 

See, that's funny because I thought the folks in Skyrim, at least the ones outside, do walk around and act busy, even though you get quests from them. They chop wood and smith and work at the tanning station. They are too simple to carry out commerce and push carts and do their own quests, of course. You could follow them around if you want and see their lives on rails. The ones inside are bumps on a log to sell stuff and make stealing more difficult. So if the ones in The Witcher 3 are more complex, that's cool. 

I can't stand when the NPCs in Skyrim or Fallout 3 and its sequels run up to you wherever you are and give you an item or a quest, even if you're in battle or wearing a terrible costume that should make you unrecognizable. Nope, they know it's you and where you are. 

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Witcher 3 is way too dense for me. The progression system is incredibly slow and the infinite side quests make you feel like you haven't done a thing at all.

it's true, your stuck in the low levels for a good chunk of the game

Finished totally Dark Souls 3 .

Now I borrowed Lichedom:Battlemage at the library

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Witcher 3 is way too dense for me. The progression system is incredibly slow and the infinite side quests make you feel like you haven't done a thing at all.

So you put it down because your patience deemed it isn't fast and action packed enough. It is extremely dense and complicated to pick up, but I'm taking my time. I don't really worry about 'progression' level up bars in games, that's a very recent and superficial addition to the medium made popular and sadly the norm by CoD fans - who now expect to see arbitrary bars filling up in everything they play. I also hardly ever play full blown RPG games, and when I do I completely ignore the vast majority of the side quests and concentrate mostly (save for a few) on the main quest. It's how I get games like Kingdom's of Amalur finished. I'm playing the Blood and Bones difficulty (Hard), but it's proving to be a bit of a grind so I may knock it back down a bit, I'll see. 

I would never think of you as being an RPG player, Koray.

On a side note, I have a mate who's similar. He plays a LOT of games and loads of genres, but he very rarely finishes anything he buys. Or another way of putting it is he only ever finishes his usual genres. I always say to him he wastes serious amounts of money on his need to try stuff out, just because they're new (and shiny). 

I didn't really get that far into The Witcher. But it does feel very much like the books I used to read as a teenager. And the game looks great too.

Karol

W3 was GOTY for a lot of people, and considered one of the greatest Western RPGs ever, apparently. I missed the first game and quickly lost interest in the Bioware third person RPG style of the second game. 

W3 is very, very stodgy to get into though. Hard fantasy open world RPG gaming probably doesn't get much more hardcore I reckon. I've had to put my nerdy patience head on especially. 

13 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

So you put it down because your patience deemed it isn't fast and action packed enough. It is extremely dense and complicated to pick up, but I'm taking my time. I don't really worry about 'progression' level up bars in games, that's a very recent and superficial addition to the medium made popular and sadly the norm by CoD fans - who now expect to see arbitrary bars filling up in everything they play. I also hardly ever play full blown RPG games, and when I do I completely ignore the vast majority of the side quests and concentrate mostly (save for a few) on the main quest. It's how I get games like Kingdom's of Amalur finished. I'm playing the Blood and Bones difficulty (Hard), but it's proving to be a bit of a grind so I may knock it back down a bit, I'll see. 

I would never think of you as being an RPG player, Koray.

On a side note, I have a mate who's similar. He plays a LOT of games and loads of genres, but he very rarely finishes anything he buys. Or another way of putting it is he only ever finishes his usual genres. I always say to him he wastes serious amounts of money on his need to try stuff out, just because they're new (and shiny). 

Well yes, I like games that enable you to "check items off the list" so to say. It's why I start off every game with the intention to 100% it. Often that isn't the case and I don't try to force myself to play games that I just don't gel with. I never played RPGs on the PSone or PS2, with Fallout 3 being my blind foray into the genre on the PS3, and that's my favorite game of all time. While I understand Bethesda RPGs aren't anywhere near the realm of the stuff KM plays, that's the kind of style I really enjoy. I got caught into the hype of The Witcher 3 last minute, and did play it for quite a bit of time for something I wasn't really excited about. In the end I only lost $13. 

Fallout 4 is still very much on my to do list, but I'll probably need to break up the pace with Doom first. 

Oh god, then there's No Man's Sky... and then Rise of Iron. 

I'm waiting for Doom to drop to $40 or less before I get that one, but it looks like Bethesda the publisher is doing all the right things these past couple years. Did you ever play the rebooted Wolfenstein games? I thought they were fantastic.

I really like Fallout 4, but it's more of the same, really. Not sure your opinion on 3 or New Vegas, but whatever you like or hate about those will most likely transfer over. There's always the handy Share Play on PS4, if you ever want to give it a whirl while I'm online, I can show it to you. Of course the lag would be awful but it'd at least give you an inkling if it'd be worth putting 40 hours into.

No Man's Sky is delayed until August, I believe. Which is nice for me, since there isn't any other Summer title I'm looking forward to, giving me a few months to catch up on my backlog. I've just finished up the Ratchet & Clank reboot, and now I think I'll tackle the Fallout DLC packs.

So we get a remastered Skyrim after five years.  Well, ok, if it couldn't be a new game altogether I'd much rather have had a Morrowind overhaul, but at least now I won't have to hook up the 360 any time I want to play this one.

20 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

So we get a remastered Skyrim after five years.  Well, ok, if it couldn't be a new game altogether I'd much rather have had a Morrowind overhaul, but at least now I won't have to hook up the 360 any time I want to play this one.

In those 5 years they were making Fallout 4. 

6 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Do check out the Skywind project due out hopefully this year. It's Morrowind remade from scratch in the Skyrim engine. It looks excellent  That's the closest thing to a remastered Morrowind the PC can get at this time. 

A fully modded Skyrim on PC is already Skyrim "remastered." This is for the console crowd who think they entitled to backwards compatibility. Well they'll pay for it. 

After a while the sound they make becomes soothing!  I love levitating across Vvardendell and turning around to see fifty of them behind me bogging down the game engine. 

Still no Beyond Good and Evil 2 :( I'm still desperately clinging to hope that one day it will happen.

Anyone remember that game? I don't have a clear favourite game of all time, but a few that share the pedestal, and this is one of them. (And on a personal note this game is the reason I lost my virginity, but that's not why I like it so much :D )

Great setting, lovely visuals (by 2003s standards), interesting, fun, and sometimes heartfelt story, awesome characters, fun gameplay, and music that binds it together, it was an all-around great experience for me when I was a teenager. It was well received and loved, but bombed heavily financially (like Psychonauts).

17 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

What?

You seemed to imply that instead of making a new game they spent 5 years doing a remaster. The 5 years was spent developing Fallout 4. So Elder Scrolls VI is probably in pre-production at the moment. 

Nope, not what I meant actually.  I meant that a five year old game seemed possibly not so deserving of a remaster when compared to the earlier ones, but I understand that those would be much harder, demand is lower, and this lets them put more focus on a real new installment as well.