What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Ah, gotcha. 

So Sony just delivered the best E3 conference I've ever seen. RIP Microsoft. 

Not really. For me Microsoft's was the more interesting conference. It was easily the more provocative, with the kind of statement of intent I like to hear. Because hardware. 

If the hasty Neo spec rethink (obviously the reason for its unveiling delay last night) doesn't match up to what Scorpio is offering I know I won't be renewing my PSN sub when the time comes.

RIP Microsoft? Actually I'd be more inclined to say shit finally just got real. And as a consumer, who ever wants to see a one horse race anyway? 

Edit: whadda you know, EG appears to share my feelings: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-14-xbox-e3-conference-report-microsoft-is-feeling-bold-again

11 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Not really. For me Microsoft's was the more interesting conference. It was easily the more provocative, with the kind of statement of intent I like to hear. Because hardware. 

If the hasty Neo spec rethink (obviously the reason for its unveiling delay last night) doesn't match up to what Scorpio is offering I know I won't be renewing my PSN sub when the time comes.

RIP Microsoft? Actually I'd be more inclined to say shit finally just got real. And as a consumer, who ever wants to see a one horse race anyway? 

Edit: whadda you know, EG appears to share my feelings: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-14-xbox-e3-conference-report-microsoft-is-feeling-bold-again

My facetious post was before I had even watched Microsoft's conference. :P

Theirs was good, but I still think Sony blew it away with the quality of games. I'm all for them coming back full force and putting the ball in Sony's court. I also think Sony saw the leaked specs for Scorpio and pulled Neo out to go back to the drawing board. Microsoft is essentially saying, yes, we lost, so now we're wiping the slate clean and rejecting the generational console model. In the end, us gamers benefit the most.

However, I don't know how these publishers are going to be able to market these new consoles without making the old ones looks bad. They say all games and accessories will run on all versions, but how do you sell the better looking ones while making those who just bought the inferior hardware happy too?

Ooo I dunno... plenty of people didn't seem to mind getting CoD and Destiny on their last gen systems even after the PS4 and Xbox One platforms were becoming increasingly established in the market. There'll be a healthy market for different tiers of hardware, I reckon. Same as there is for handheld smart devices. 

Yeah but the games industry has been set in a particular way for decades. It'll be interesting how consumers react. People buy consoles with the expectation that it'll last them close to 10 years. I also don't get how it's really an improvement at all if developers still have to hold their games back for the older hardware. It just doubles their workload. I'm just ruminating here, I'm sure I'll buy the new PS4 when it hits, I just think that with 40 million units sold and counting, a pace on par with the massive success of the PS2, that splitting the market like this might hurt the momentum.

But then again, the people who would have bought a $300 PS4 will still have that option regardless, and now people who already own may buy again, so maybe I'm not making any sense.

Resident Evil 7 in VR!

The Last Guardian drops in October and has a new look!

New Spider-man game coming!

What a pity the big Red Dead Redemption 2 reveal at the end of the Sony show got cancelled last minute due to the Orlando shootings. 

Apparently though it was all about a bar shooting... 

6 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

What a pity the big Red Dead Redemption 2 reveal at the end of the Sony show got cancelled last minute due to the Orlando shootings. 

Apparently though it was all about a bar shooting... 

According to Sony, the show has been locked for months. It does make sense though, considering they showed the trailer for Days Gone towards the beginning of the show, and then showed the gameplay at the end.

The storytelling, characterisation and quest dialogue in The Witcher 3 feels like it is on another plane of quality to anything I've known in the Elder Scrolls series. It's pretty belittling (and probably humbling) to the Bethesda writers and designers tbh. This is how RPG storylines should play out. 

The world building here is outstanding. 

My witcher 3 experience was marred by game crashes. I was saving my game every few minutes just in case and it became annoying

I guess many patches later the experience must be better

maybe you should wait for the PS4 Neo

10 hours ago, WojinPA said:

Console games don't crash. Consoles are flawless. 

I've had a more crashes on the PS4 than the PS3. On the PS3 it never happened.

The xbox360 crashed quite often on  Fallout 3

The Witcher 3 has never crashed on me. I purposefully wait many months after release to play such games so as to avoid those issues, and to benefit from the performance improvements made to frame rate.  

What are the best PS3 games that haven't been ported to PS4 yet?

Ico and Shadow of Colossus are two, right?

There are some great franchises from the PS3 era, but considering the outdatedness of some titles, I would personally recommend just playing their most recent entries to get a taste of what they have to offer. For instance, Insomniac's Resistance and Ratchet & Clank series, and Guerilla's Killzone. Then of course there are the Bethesda RPGs: Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion, and Skyrim. But again, Fallout 4 would give you that experience on PS4, and Skyrim is being ported over this October. Other important titles, in my opinion, such as Sleeping Dogs, Crystal Dynamic's Tomb Raider, Dishonored, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Journey, God Of War 3, and Heavy Rain have all been made available on PS4. Thinking back, a lot of the big stuff has been ported over already, but some must plays that still remain are: Portal 2, Red Dead Redemption, all three BioShock games (rumored to be ported over in a collection), Catherine, L.A. Noire, Mafia II, Metal Gear Solid 4, Infamous 2 (Second Son on the PS4 is an alternative), Spec Ops: The Line, Dead Space 2, and Mass Effect 2.

Good call on the Portal games, I gotta play those!  Might end up doing that on PC, though, not sure.

The Metal Gear series seems like such a huge daunting thing to start, I think I want to play through a lot of other games / franchises before digging into that one.

Had my eye on the Fallout series, and maybe Mass Effect and Bioshock series too.

Thanks!

I played a bit of MGS2 on a friend's PS2 some 15 years ago or whatever, I thought it was pretty cool. Almost got Twin Snakes for GameCube, but then ... Didn't. 

Well , I finished my first person spellcasting game Lichdom Battlemage. It was a farily short game but entertaining with decent difficulty.. Best of all it was free from the library

Now back to a JRPG with Megadimension Neptunia VII

2 hours ago, king mark said:

Well , I finished my first person spellcasting game Lichdom Battlemage. It was a farily short game but entertaining with decent difficulty.. Best of all it was free from the library

Ha! I played that for a couples of hours this week too, on PC. I didn't really get into it though because I thought the gameplay was rather dull and I couldn't work out the spells menu interface. 

you need to sit down and just mess around with the spell menu for a few hours and read a few basic guides online since the tutorials suck

I thought it was really confusing too

How did you manage to get through it on the PS4? Battlemage is known as being one of the very worst performing titles on the consoles, with frequent frame rate dips into the teens. I don't know why; because it is visually completely unremarkable. 

yes, the frame rate issue was a problem. It was still playable but it got to the point where I wasn't enjoying the game too much and just wanted to finish it. It was worse on  some levels than others.

Still, I prefer a frame rate issue than  game crashes like I got on Witcher 3 or Divinity Original Sin where you get stressed about losing progress or think your console is broken

(turns out  I might have sent my PS4 for repairs needlessly because found a forum where people got multiple game crashes upon saving games in Divinity Original Sin  but at the time I thought I was the only one experiencing this)

I finally got around to testing out Eve Valkyrie on my brand spanking new Oculus Rift.  Wow, what a treat that was!  It is everything I hoped it would be with incredible graphics and immersion. 

7 hours ago, king mark said:

QTE's are the worst thing in gaming ever

I disagree, they add a level of immersion that I quite like. Obviously I wouldn't want all gaming to just be QTEs, but when it's done right as the highlight (i.e. Heavy Rain), or as supplemental gameplay (i.e. Naughty Dog games), it's great.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What are they?

Quick time events require the player to push a particular button or sequence of buttons and joystick movements within a short time span.

I'm not sure if quick time events are more about teaching kids to type on a keyboard again, or recapturing the combo memorization tricks of fighting games. 

I'm not really a fan. I don't mind the odd one here and there, but the likes of Call of Duty and similar games have become far too reliant on them. They can feel like lazy, intrusive design. Button mashing. 

8 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

I'm not really a fan. I don't mind the odd one here and there, but the likes of Call of Duty and similar games have become far too reliant on them. They can feel like lazy, intrusive design. Button mashing. 

Since when are there QTEs in COD? Button mashing is a bit more excessive, I would classify it separately. God Of War, for instance. 

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

Excellent!

Played all 3 of them before, the last two on PC. Infinite is top 5 material for me, but I shan't return to it again. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Since when are there QTEs in COD? 

Lol for real? 

Took me about 5 seconds to find. The franchise is practically built on QTE instances throughout its cinematic "gameplay".