What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Well that's what the Diablo series is. Hack and slash, collect loot, kill everything that moves, get better loot. It's only an RPG in that you gain XP and upgrade your skills. There are no meaningful choices to make that affect the plot. 

And yes, the game is addictive crack cocaine. I uninstalled Diablo 2 in undergrad because I couldn't get work done. 

Even the weapons aren't class specific.As I wizard it doesn't matter if I equip a Staff or a 2 handed sword, I just have to pick the one with the highest  stats on it. I don't even get to do melee attacks with a melee weapon

Diablo 3, like Destiny, is an 'end game' game. It isn't designed to appeal to solo offline players such as KM, who is effectively playing a huge tutorial. I guarantee you would not be able to simply "blast through" the enemies at higher levels in the raid equivalent instances with other players - which is exactly how the game is designed to be played and where its lasting appeal lies. I always intended to get into Diablo 3 myself, but Destiny sort of beat it to the punch.

I was turned off back in the time when it required online connection all the time (which is no longer a personal problem) and I never reevaluated it since. 

1 hour ago, Lonnegan said:

Diablo 3, like Destiny, is an 'end game' game. It isn't designed to appeal to solo offline players such as KM, who is effectively playing a huge tutorial. I guarantee you would not be able to simply "blast through" the enemies at higher levels in the raid equivalent instances with other players - which is exactly how the game is designed to be played and where its lasting appeal lies. I always intended to get into Diablo 3 myself, but Destiny sort of beat it to the punch.

That's just a ridiculous way to design a game

The main game sucks, but wait till you get to NG+

41 minutes ago, king mark said:

That's just a ridiculous way to design a game

The main game sucks, but wait till you get to NG+

KM, you simply need to face up to the fact that modern gaming has evolved and can often be geared towards high level online cooperative play. It's hugely popular, and brilliant. It isn't Diablo's fault if the gaming dinosaurs still holding onto nighties gaming tropes don't understand what it is about.

1 hour ago, Lonnegan said:

KM, you simply need to face up to the fact that modern gaming has evolved and can often be geared towards high level online cooperative play. It's hugely popular, and brilliant. It isn't Diablo's fault if the gaming dinosaurs still holding onto nighties gaming tropes don't understand what it is about.

There will always be people who prefer single-player experiences, that will never change.  This "evolution" of gaming is just publishers inventing new ways of squeezing people for every cent they can convince them to fork over.

(This is of course painting with a broad brush, but to act like online-focused games littered with microtransactions are some grand future we've been driving towards is silly to me)

3 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Nighties?

Nineties. Diablo, 1996. Diablo 2, 2000.

Diablo 3 was geared towards its fanbase, who wanted the same kind of frantic clicking and looting they grew up with. 

If you were hoping the Diablo name would be slapped onto something radically different or new, like a Witcher type game, well that's your problem. 

I commend Blizzard for not doing a Bethesda when they made first person shooter Fallout 3 the sequel to isometric Fallout 2.

Using a gamepad, of course, but it's a genre built for a mouse. They paid big money for the IP, it became theirs to piss with. I can't say I ever got far in Fallout 1 because the time limit discourages exploration, and I wanted to beat it before playing 2. Isometric is from another time, though the Pillars of Eternity fans don't mind at all. 

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There will always be people who prefer single-player experiences, that will never change.  This "evolution" of gaming is just publishers inventing new ways of squeezing people for every cent they can convince them to fork over.

I think you've misinterpreted me tbh. You're talking about something different entirely - which is affecting the whole gaming market, actually (online and off; genres other than RPGs). FYI I don't condone the 'nickel and diming' of players any more than any other sane gamer does, but as I said, that's a completely different discussion. And sometimes one not as straightforward or even cynical as you and others are quick to paint it.

22 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

The world of gaming isn't revolving around Destiny and coop games

Anyways, it's a bit more challenging at the end of chapter 3..I actually died while not paying attention. I'll see when I reach level 70 and only gear matters

Sorry KM, but you brought up Diablo 3 in your complaint and I naturally compared it to another popular online loot grind, because I considered it to be quite relevant in countering your argument. It's not my fault if you fail to understand this. To me it was as if you bought a car and complained it wasn't a boat.

So after finishing the main game I tried the multiplayer coop in Diablo 3

In the span of an hour I went up 750 levels and had over a 100 legendary  item drops (you get about 1 per night in single player). All the monsters could wipe me out in one blow so I just stayed behind some other guys that killed everything for me, so I was basically doing nothing and reaping huge rewards

So now I'm all powerful...but it doesn't seem to mean much since the story is over and I'm just going through randomly generated dungeons and I can still suck since everyone else is doing the work for me

Baptism of fire? Lol!

Anyway, it sounds like KM got the standard XP boost you get when you're low level, a long way behind, and are carried through by high levellers in your group. He should begin to even out soon. That's if he carries on.

Multiplayer? Wow, never thought I'd see the day!

As for the storyline. People don't care about storylines in multiplayer. It's all about the exotic loot (ie bragging rights).

The problem is that the loot doesn't get better than legendary items, which I have a truckload of now. It's more a matter of picking which ones are the best for my character now

I still don't know why I die so easily compared to the other players though

59 minutes ago, king mark said:

I still don't know why I die so easily compared to the other players though

I haven't played Diablo 3, but if you've only beaten the campaign I'm thinking you may have only maxed out the 'soft cap' and that the real levelling up begins now. The grind, the 'end game'. This could be where you either embrace it or move onto your next solo game and keep hitting that soft cap.

I traded Bloodborne. and yes I have PS+

So in diablo 3  I also wound up with 4 Billion gold pieces...(4 Billion!) in my 2 hours of online play yesterday. I think I might have accidentally joined a "game breaking" party that did the grind  that normally would take months to do. I tried playing again today and my XP level bar did not move a bit despite doing a bunch of quests

I think I'll stop playing thsi and go to my next game

The Legend of Heroes, Trails of Cold Steel

70+ hours in and it's off the beaten track alluring shit like this which keeps me playing The Witcher 3. 

VlvhkCS.jpg

How the hell am I supposed to not want to go and explore that? 

You've been posting a lot about that one. Looking forward to it?

I've been slowly chipping away at Insomniac's Song Of The Deep for the past couple weeks. A metroidvania underwater puzzle platformer with a nice art style and beautiful score. It's storybook narrative is nice and all, but some of the gameplay mechanics are a bit wonky. It's also a lot longer than I imagined it would be. I've put in about 7 hours so far and I'm still not finished. A leaner experience would have been preferable for this, as much of the early gameplay isn't very enticing and it's only once you've unlocked many of the upgrades that the cool puzzles come into play.

So I'm playing this game Legend of heroes , Trails of Cold steel

It's suuuper long. I'm 90 hours in and only did 4 1/2 of the 8 chapters

I've finally booted up Doom.

About 6 or 7 missions in so far and it's sublime. Loving the reboots Bethesda is giving to these genre defining FPSs. It's super slick old school run-n-gun action in the form of a meaty single player experience. If only Duke Nukem Forever could have been like this! Stunning spectacle with every little detail, from the way you pick up new weapons to the massively gory Glory Kills, it all runs without a hiccup. They also included the original game split up as secret areas in the maps, similar to Wolfenstein 3D being included as nightmares in Wolfenstein: The New Order. They aren't fully playable in the campaign, but apparently unlocking them allows you to play the full game from the main menu.

I jumped into the online multiplayer for a couple matches the other day too, and did surprisingly well. It was fun, but I can't see myself returning to it often. Definitely an improvement over the closed beta that went out at the beginning of the year.

UAC Facility.jpg

Warp To Hell.jpg

Hell On Mars.jpg