What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

After getting my ass whooped in Catherine, I'm on the home stretch to the finish line. At least I think so. There was one stage that had me trying over and over for something like 2 hours. I finally caved and searched online for help, and after finally finding a video guide, it skips over the one part I needed help on. In even more frustration I picked up the controller and went crazy pushing blocks every which way and somehow made it to the top. Amazing feeling. This is challenging, Atlus, not impossible like Demon's Souls. Although I wouldn't even want to imagine what this game is like on Hard. I'm playing on Easy.

I'm really digging the soundtrack. Famous classical pieces rearranged by Shoji Meguro. A modern day Clockwork Orange.

This is my favorite piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HowWH64_Anw

wow.

I wanted to use my xbox card point card to download New Vegas DLC

I live in Canada but for some obscure reason (was I ever given the choice?) , my user ID gamertag defaulted to USA when I set up my account initially(WTF???)

Microsoft points cannot be used if the card is bought in Canada and the gamertag is USA

AFTER LOOKING AROUND ONLINE, I FOUND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO OPTION TO CHANGE THE USER ID COUNTRY (the country is grayed out and cannot be changed and I only get options to change to another US state, no provinces)

In other words,I cannot ever download anything from xbox live that uses points.

I THINK I could change gamertag with "initial console set up" (and losing all my acheveiments and gamer points) , but it probably would fuck up my windows live ID that uses the same e-mail and end up not being able to connect at all to get console updates. Plus changing gamertag costs 800 points, which my console refuses in the first place!

It's beyond comprehension that these things can happen. Absolute clusterfuck

No

Can't change billing info for Country , including credit card

I looked it up online, this is a summary but there's message boards that talk about it. Microsoft has never explained why or corrected it.

http://deeperdesign.wordpress.com/2008/01/28/you-cant-change-your-billing-country-for-xbox-live/

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/xboxbilling/

I must have used the "default" setting when creating my xbox live account and default=USA

That sucks hard, but that first guy said he had the option to by physical MS points via a scratch card at retail, which whilst not exactly ideal is still a way of getting the content you want. Are you saying you can't do that? It's confusing.

Here's what I had to do:

Create a totally new boxlive Profile, meaning I also had to open a new email account online because you can't have 2 xbox Profiles registered to the same windowslive user.

This new Profile starts at scratch and loses all achievements and gamescore points.

I ALMOST missed the friggen Country selection field again because it doesn't ask you like the rest of the info, you have to change it manually in some pulldown menu when you review everything at the end (miss it at that screen and you can't ever change it again)

I was then able to redeem my points and get Honest Hearts DLC

Luckily my DLC works for my old Profile which has my New Vegas saved games, but I can never use this older profile to join xboxlive Gold, and may be restricted in some other ways I can't foresee yet

FUUUCK, what a hassle

That sucks hard, but that first guy said he had the option to by physical MS points via a scratch card at retail, which whilst not exactly ideal is still a way of getting the content you want. Are you saying you can't do that? It's confusing.

I have a store bought card with a code. I still couldn't use it with my old profile because the card was bought in Canada and my old profile had put USA as default setting (and which you can select only once in the initial setup)

Here's what I had to do:

Create a totally new boxlive Profile, meaning I also had to open a new email account online because you can't have 2 xbox Profiles registered to the same windowslive user.

This new Profile starts at scratch and loses all achievements and gamescore points.

I ALMOST missed the friggen Country selection field again because it doesn't ask you like the rest of the info, you have to change it manually in some pulldown menu when you review everything at the end (miss it and your done)

I was then able to redeem my points and get Honest Hearts DLC

Luckily my DLC works for my old Profile which has my New Vegas saved games, but I can never use this profile to join xboxlive, and may be restricted in some other ways I can't foresee yet

FUUUCK, what a hassle

I have a store bought card with a code. I still couldn't use it with my old profile because the card was bought in Canada and my old profile had put USA as default setting (and which you can select only once in the initial setup)

Don't you have to pay to have that second account?

If you change your existing Profile you have to pay 800points(but you still can't change the country )

If you make a second account (like if it was your brother playing on the same console in the same house),it's free. He's like "Player 2". You can create several...up to 4 I think because you can plug up to 4 controllers. I even get a month of free Gold membership for that new guy

I can switch from one to the other on the console and the DLC's are good for both. I'll probably finish New Vegas with my old gamertag and play future games as my new guy

I think I'd have just written that card off as a loss and bought another North American instant delivery one off eBay.

If I buy a US card it probably would work for my old profile

I guess it doesn't matter much since you don't play online. Situation sounds similar on the PS3.

You can't change your country unless you create a new account, and the same thing applies to DLC. As long as the user who purchased it is activated on the system, any account can use it.

You could just buy any future DLC on that new account and keep playing on your old one.

What's pissing me off is they almost make it on purpose in the initial set up so you make a mistake

And it shouldn't have been that convoluted to fix the problem. It's almost like I had to "hack" my own console

finished Batman AA. Nice.

Though as with most games, the ending seems rushed.

How in the hell Joker capture gordon, and put him in that electric chair (this last thing while speaking to batman...)

Lego Pirates of the Caribbean

It's just as good as all the rest of the Lego games.

Minus the John Williams music, of course.

I'm 70 hours into Fallout New Vegas and I keep finding more quests. Theres' still a lot of areas I haven't been too, plus my DLC addon

I've been doing a lot of the Vault related quests . Sacrificial chamber thing in Vault 11 was creepy

Vault 22 reminded me what the fallout games are missing...color. I know this is the wasteland but the drab washed colors are a bit boring

I'm 70 hours into Fallout New Vegas and I keep finding more quests. Theres' still a lot of areas I haven't been too, plus my DLC addon

I've been doing a lot of the Vault related quests . Sacrificial chamber thing in Vault 11 was creepy

Vault 22 reminded me what the fallout games are missing...color. I know this is the wasteland but the drab washed colors are a bit boring

New Vegas is filled with color. Don't you remember Fallout 3? That didn't even have vegetation.

Which can actually get really bloody repetitive after a while.

Better than POTC music, any time.

I usually turn the music off in games like this, or I will listen to the actual scores while I play.

After not touching my PS3 for months, I finally finished Uncharted 2. Brilliant. And now there's still some time left to get and play the first game before the new one comes out.

I finished Catherine the other day. The ending was a bitch but I eventually got it. The story took a very huge left turn and disappointed me a bit, but it's not at all surprising considering it's Japanese anime. It kinda keeps in line with the humor, I just don't know what to expect from the 7 other endings.

I'll try my hand at Normal and see how far I can get.

Anybody play Bastion yet for 360? It doesn't hit Steam until next week, but it's received some good words so my interest is piqued.

I finally got New Vegas onto my desktop with the latest patch and first two DLC's, so I can finally play it without suffering a terrible draw distance. Geckos shouldn't be on top of you before they're drawn, forcing you to pick a weapon really quickly. Fortunately, it runs a scan of my hardware and recommends "Ultra High Quality" before beginning. That's a nerd boner right there.

Yea, I'm still in Goodsprings. :wave:

So I'm helping the ghouls in the Reppconn building reach The Great Beyond. I had not been to the town with the dinosaur yet, so I didn't know of the guy's request at the time.

And in the basement I see Mr. Bright's plan, and my jaw drops and I smile because it's so damn cool. But then my interest piques.

I saved my game right before I did this experiment, because I knew it would break the quest and it's not something I wanted to permanently do.

But I open the console (yes, KM, it's a cheat) to type TCL which turns off clipping. It lets me walk through walls.

For all the ghouls walking around wearing space suits, which has +40 radiation resistance, there is actually no radiation in that room at all. None. I walk through the piles of ooze...actually I walk through the three large centerpieces in the middle of the room, as they're not solid. I look back at where Chris watching me...and those walls have no texture. And the giant door won't open without a key, but there is no key because the hallway on the other side is incomplete.

The players were never meant to enter that room. Which is a shame, because all of those ghouls have those wonderful radiation protection suits. And they are lootable. If you kill them. Which breaks the quest. Which is cheating.

My main game remains unaffected.

Anyone else's blood get boiled by the atrocities of that particular faction?

That was the coolest quest in the game so far for me.

I'm still exploring and trying to make the various factions like me

After a month I still haven't done the Followers, Great Khans and Boomers quests, but for the past week I haven't played much for various reasons. I'll try to finish all the locations and sidequests (get that Explorer perk!), do my DLC and finish the main game this week

I'm only as far as Novac. I got Boone to join me -- I wasn't sure if I wanted to cry or scream after learning the details of his story -- but then I told him to stay put in the dinosaur, because I don't think I need a follower to find the space junk that the ghouls need.

I really wish I would have known that you can reason with Davison and his 'kin. I went in guns blazing and torched them all. No biggie.

While trying to make it to Novac, I was walking along the mountainside, and accidentally discovered Dead Wind Cavern, and the four or five DC's outside. Not good when your best weapon is either the Varmint rifle or the Incinerator, which usually just spraypaints suicide back onto me.

I wanted to lure the roaming Vipers up that valley to take out some of the DC's coming down the valley, but it didn't work so well. All the raiders are dead with nary a scratch on the DC's.

I did get the blind DC to chase me into Harper's Shack, and he just stopped there like he couldn't find me. Well, he eventually nabbed me, since I switched to bullets to save ammo instead of killing him quickly. I just need a sniper rifle or bazooka.

That Shack is a cool little place to stash stuff since it's close to Repconn and is a fast travel point. A lot better than the Goodsprings schoolhouse or the scorpion-trapped house in Nipton. I don't have one central place to call my stash, just a bunch of small ones scattered throughout that I'm in danger of losing track of. I already lost track of where I left my sledge hammer.

The Powder Gangers vilify me. How do they feel towards you, KM?

yeah, there's not much to do with the Powder Gangers .They vilified me too after I saved Goodsprings , and then I killed all of them at the prison base. I'm also vilified by Caesar's Legion. That's automatic if you help the NCR and other groups. I'm hoping it's possible to unify all the other groups against Casar's Legion

In the beginning of the game I sort of went south to Primm and then the Mojave Ranger Outpost. Someone can repair your stuff there

To kill Deathclaws you need a powerful and accurate weapon like a sniper rifle with a lot of points in the weapon skill

Oh and I advise you repair the robot in Primm so he follows you around to carry your stuff.

• 1 month later...

I beat Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

An okay game, too much like the second one. I enjoyed the brotherhood aspect of being able to control and upgrade a squad of assassins. I still can do some stuff to clean up the rest of the trophies but I have no will to do it really.

Resistance 3

A superb game, one giant step up from 2. The campaign oozes loss and hopelessness. The controls are tight, and the levels are fantastic. The ending was a bit disappointing and left me unfulfilled, but if this is the end of the chimera virus, then I'm happy. The online multiplayer is fun and a great blend of the first Resistance and Call Of Duty.

I also got the Uncharted dual pack since my brother was the one who bought them the first time around, and took them with him. So right now I'm replaying Drake's Fortune, and forgot how great it was, but also how annoying the climbing mechanics were.

I've got Resistence 3, but I need to finish off the last one first.

I'm playing Dead Island and Deus Ex: Human Evolution. Both are brilliant, in very different ways: the first is a rough diamond which oozes charm and great playability - it's Borderlands meets Fallout with a side order of endlessly satisfying head splattering on an eerie open world island paradise which feels like Lost island. The latter is destined to be a classic cyberpunk espionage thriller which plays like Metal Gear Solid meshed with Mass Effect. Very polished, very cool and it makes you feel like a badass. I'm not normally a fan of stealth gameplay, but this handles it with a brisk assurance which is both reliable and exciting - the environments offer plenty of opportunity for experimentation and the superb unlock tree ensures that players are likely to have their own unique experiences. Game has a beautiful art style, too, and the genuinely interesting side-quests should guarantee I get to see all of it.

I also got the Uncharted dual pack since my brother was the one who bought them the first time around, and took them with him. So right now I'm replaying Drake's Fortune, and forgot how great it was, but also how annoying the climbing mechanics were.

Yeah, the first one has a bit of an annoying climbing system, making you jump to your death rather a lot simply because you're not sure where you're supposed to jump. I played it while the board was down. Controls were slightly lacking in some spots (they really did a good job of fixing the few problems the first one had for Among Thieves), and overall, the game play was just a little too frustrating - you die more easily in the big shoot-out set pieces, and yet the save points are much farther apart than in the sequel. I still loved it though. All the key ingredients were there - great characters and script, a wonderfully dynamic world, and great settings. I liked the score better than the sequel's - that theme sure works wonderfully during the finale.

Bring on the third instalment!

The scores to both games are top drawer and I expect even better from the third instalment. Edmonson has been a cracking good composer since back in the days when he scored Firefly, and I'm glad he's found some real appreciation with his work on Uncharted.

The theme is wonderful; the action music is very effective in the game, but on CD, at least the second score (there is no release for the first one, is there?) doesn't seem to have much depth.

Well yes, that's a fair comment. Still, I like the orchestration of the action stuff and i think he weaves in the themes and motifs rather well; it's just a shame really that most of the cues are rather too short to allow ideas to develop. I'm hoping the third one provides the opportunity to develop an arc in the narrative - the characters from the previous games are carrying through so the love and adventure music of series has a real chance of being fleshed out, if of course Edmonson has the chops to handle something like that.

As you no doubt know, in terms of music for video games thats pretty advanced stuff - to create the palpable sense of a underlining narrative. Here we have a series of games which are closely connected to each other in that each instalment is directly tied to the previous one, and so a skilled composer could make something of it, if that was the wish of the developer. Thinking about it though, it very rarely happens in any sort of memorable way, and in fact the only instance I can think of a score for a game series which actually achieves true development and a proper, satisfying arc is the Halo trilogy.

There's loads of stunning game scores out there, but even something like the Zelda series only ever consists of a selection of jaunty orchestral melodies and recycled themes purely for the sake of familiarity. I wouldn't say I draw any sense of emotion from those scores, there is no musical arc to the series.

I was going to say that perhaps the reason is because the Zelda games are self contained adventures, but then so was Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, and that game's score had a terrific degree of development and even an arc, in just one game.

I don't play them myself but I know the FF series has great music and I know KM is a fan; do they have especially deep scores or do they just sound nice?

I agree. Though I think that Monkey Island is a series that at least partially does provide an actual narrative and development (use of themes for more than just showing off catchy melodies) like you described. The development of iMuse and its use in MI2 certainly were a major step in that direction. Unfortunately, the advent of CD-ROMs and enough storage space to use prerecorded music kind of put a stop to that.

Music and what it can do for games is a very interesting topic, and in fact one of the major driving forces behind my own dabbling in game development every now and again, on my own and without any resources.

As for Uncharted, I think what it comes down to is that, despite its highly effective scores and good theme, if I really think about it, there's one thing I'm missing: The whole setup, both narratively and technically, is the perfect basis for delivering some real "Hollywood" moments in game scoring. In fact, that does happen once, when the sweeping portion of Nate's Theme underscores the finale of Drake's Fortune. I'd love to see them do something like this throughout the actual game in UC3.

Deus Ex: Human Evolution.

The latter is destined to be a classic cyberpunk espionage thriller which plays like Metal Gear Solid meshed with Mass Effect. Very polished, very cool and it makes you feel like a badass. I'm not normally a fan of stealth gameplay, but this handles it with a brisk assurance which is both reliable and exciting - the environments offer plenty of opportunity for experimentation and the superb unlock tree ensures that players are likely to have their own unique experiences. Game has a beautiful art style, too, and the genuinely interesting side-quests should guarantee I get to see all of it.

I'm interested, but all the reviews have mentioned a fatal flaw. Like you said the game gives you the choice of how you want to develop your character, but when it comes time to fight a boss, if forces you to play it straight-on like a FPS. So all the time you spent upgrading stealth has gone out the window, giving you an unbalanced chance.

Thinking about it though, it very rarely happens in any sort of memorable way, and in fact the only instance I can think of a score for a game series which actually achieves true development and a proper, satisfying arc is the Halo trilogy.

I was going to say that perhaps the reason is because the Zelda games are self contained adventures, but then so was Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, and that game's score had a terrific degree of development and even an arc, in just one game.

Medal Of Honor has that sense of development, for me. The games couldn't be less connected, but Giacchino's masterpieces are heavily interwoven. Hearing the main theme and action music develop from whimsical and militaristic to somber and hopeless and finally to grand and mature is musical bliss. As you mentioned, MGS did it too, probably the first game to do so. In MGS4 when you return to Shadow Moses and that first theme starts playing as you make your way through the abandoned complex... it sent shivers down my spine.

Indeed. Oh and I'd overlooked the MoH scores, which I'll absolutely take your word on.

Koray, I read about that Deus Ex flaw as well before playing, so basically, I catered for it when I upgraded my character. I just made sure I had the necessary weapon attachments and a bit of a health buff. I'm still very much able to play the game stealthily - the impact of said requirements on the actual gameplay itself has been exaggerated. It's a superb game whose only real stumbling block is, as documented, the fact that you're forced into boss encounters - the only time the choice is taken away from the player. But boss encounters are rare and so far a complete none issue, for me.

I got pretty far in New Vegas before I decided to wipe my XP installation clean and restore a Ghost from two years ago. This was to nullify all the glitches that I had built up as a result of not having SP3 installed. I have to install 7 sometime this week to make sure my SSD works.

I saved my save games, of course, but I doubt they'll still work or that I'll actually want to continue using them. I have been doing reasonably well, and gotten my reputation with the Powder Gangers from villified back to neutral by killing the fire geckos, but I think I'd like to take a more passe' role in that opening skirmish to not take the reputation hit.

The terrain bugs the crap out of me. Any exploring over the mountain ridges to find unique ways around obstacles is met with either scorpions, DCs, and cazadores, or I get stuck in a buggy hole, and since I'm falling, cannot fast travel myself to safety, and have to restore a quicksave.

Additionally, the presence of those "monsters" in the terrain west, east, and north of Goodsprings really forces you to follow the story south, east, and north along the roads through the towns, unless you spend a ton of time building up a character strong enough to walk straight to New Vegas early on your own. All I want to do is gamble, and I haven't even been there yet.

I'm close, worming my way through the Fiend areas south and west of the city, but I thought there was a way to "befriend" the Fiends as a faction, instead of just having Boone and ED-9 shoot them. It really doesn't look like it's possible without modifying the game.

Silly glitch. Make Boone a companion, tell him to stay put somewhere, and then go to the Great Khans' territory. They'll still talk about him as being a murderer as if he were with you, instead of back somewhere else.

I plan to get Deus Ex 3 when it drops in price. I can sorta forgive them for putting boss battles into the game, instead of permitting stealthy solutions to them, because Deus Ex 1 also had bosses in its game. You could play the whole game without killing anyone (or just using tranq darts, police baton, and a stun gun), but there came a point where you just had to kill some people. Two of the bosses had kill phrases that you could obtain from talking with characters or accessing computers, and they would simply blow up. The first boss could be killed in one of two locations, the second boss had to be killed much later, and the third boss could be avoided once but you had to eventually defeat him. What you did with the final boss depended on which of the three endings you selected in the final arena, and it's rumored that not killing anyone at all introduced a fourth ending. I never faced it because the Majestic 12 goons were so much fun to take out. (I never played DE2) But going back to DE3, I've got too many games and too much else going on to pay full price for a game I won't touch for awhile.

I did pre-order Starfarer, an indie PC-only game that promises 2D top down space combat like Solar Winds (one of my most favorite games ever) but is a deeper alternative to the combat-only S.P.A.Z. that I probably won't buy. Starfarer totally kicks my ass. Wow. The enemy AI is sharp but the player's team AI is totally garbage, and gets itself killed long before I can do anything with them.

Also played a bit of Braid, the only game from the Humble Bundle I've touched so far. Not bad, but I hit a brick wall and stopped.

It takes awhile to actually get onto the Strip. I did a speed run on a new game because one of the casinos was glitched on my main save, and I believe it took me about an hour or so.

When I first started playing, it probably took me around 8 hours to get in. The biggest thing that will deter you is like a 40-60 minute quest once you reach the town with the dinosaur. It requires you to solve the ghoul problem in some NASA building, and that takes a long fucking time. In the speed run, I just killed all of them so I didn't have to solve all their problems as well and make everyone happy.

I bought the latest add-on last night, and played it for a bit. It's amazing how easily I get sucked into that game.

I also got Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, and the HD remake of Resident Evil 4. The first three were free with PlayStation Plus.