What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Don't you hate those games that you like, but not ENOUGH, and you end up getting some ways in, then kind of abandon it.. then when you return, you kinda have to decide to start over or try to continue where you left off?

Ha, that is my gaming life to a tee! The sheer breath of choice in terms of what I have installed at any one time makes the temptation to have a break and try something else a totally unproductive move. It's almost a hassle, just thinking about what to load up. 

Yep, I hear ya.  A similar thing can happen with TV too... like we tried The Americans: The first 3 episodes were... FINE, nothing wrong with them, but there were SO many other things out that were better, we gave up on it.  When we finally return, I suppose we'll have to rewatch the first 3 episodes rather than trying to remember where we left off

It's why I very annoyingly stopped watching Mad Men after season 3; because I was distracted by the return of some other show. I've been meaning to continue with it ever since, because it's brilliant. But that was years ago now. 

Back to video games, that recently happened to me with the DS port of Mario 64 and the Advance port of Yoshi's Island.  They were kind of crummy ports, so I gave up after an hour or two into each, and I'll doubt I'll return with so many other games to play.

Trying to decide what my next "big" game will be after Zelda 19; My options are currently Wind Waker HD, Uncharted 1 HD, or Tomb Raider reboot

My next "small" game will be Yoshi's Woolly World, Alien Isolation, or Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

And I still gotta finish up Boxboy and get started on Boxboy 2, especially now that Boxboy 3 is out!

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's why I very annoyingly stopped watching Mad Men after season 3; because I was distracted by the return of some other show. I've been meaning to continue with it ever since, because it's brilliant. But that was years ago now. 

Yea, I'd kind of like to get back into Walking Dead too but now being... 93 episodes behind, will I ever?  Should I bother?  I still haven't even watched Daredevil Season 2 or Iron Fist.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Back to video games, that recently happened to me with the DS port of Mario 64 and the Advance port of Yoshi's Island.  They were kind of crummy ports, so I gave up after an hour or two into each, and I'll doubt I'll return with so many other games to play.

Trying to decide what my next "big" game will be after Zelda 19; My options are currently Wind Waker HD, Uncharted 1 HD, or Tomb Raider reboot

My next "small" game will be Yoshi's Woolly World, Alien Isolation, or Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

And I still gotta finish up Boxboy and get started on Boxboy 2, especially now that Boxboy 3 is out!

Yea, I'd kind of like to get back into Walking Dead too but now being... 93 episodes behind, will I ever?  Should I bother?  I still haven't even watched Daredevil Season 2 or Iron Fist.

The Walking Dead is well worth you watching until you hear any mention of Alexandria. Stop there, skip it all and wait for the show to return later this year. I wish I'd had the same benefit of hindsight, because this is what I'd do. 

35 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You are seriously the only person I've ever heard or seen call BOTW that.  It freaks me out.

Alright, I'll start typing BOTW instead of 19 then.

26 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The Walking Dead is well worth you watching until you hear any mention of Alexandria. Stop there, skip it all and wait for the show to return later this year. I wish I'd had the same benefit of hindsight, because this is what I'd do. 

Maybe someday

I'm in a similar place as you guys. I have a few bigger games to tackle but feel like playing a bunch of smaller stuff.

I got For Honor as a gold box deal the other day, so I've been playing that a little.  It's good with a lot of potential but it seems Ubi dropped the ball on it. The servers are deserted and I've been playing mostly with bots online, so it's boring.

But then yesterday I also was in the mood to finally boot up my PS VR so I played Batman, the COD Jack Assault tech demo, and the DanganRonpa tech demo. All of them were pretty great, particularly the latter, which was truly a new experience that I've never had with a video game. Hopefully they make a full fledged Dangan VR game in the future. The extremely brief 5 minutes left me craving more.

And then finally I tried out some Drawn To Death. David Jaffe's unique arena shooter that took 3 years to come out for whatever reason. I really enjoyed this one. It's clear they put a lot of thought and work into the concept and it mostly pays off in-game. IGN gave it a terrible review and sounded nearly repulsed by it. Don't get that perspective because the style and satire are hilarious to me. Well made and fun, but as with For Honor, dead servers. 

I installed Persona 5 and Mass Effect so I'll probably tackle one of those next. 

In the end I decided to load up Dragon Age: Inq again and finally became fairly involved with it just before I went to bed. I'd spent the first hour being completely bored by its opening gameplay, but it luckily drew me in a bit just in the nick of time. I'll carry on with it for now and see. Still a handsome looking game too. Dem shit fetch quests are being ignored wholesale though. 

Drawn to Death looks hideous to me, I can't bring myself to download it, even for "free". Does it play anything like Gotham City Heroes? I quite liked that. 

Surprised you haven't been all over Resi Evil VR?

Drawn To Death is very much like Gotham City Imposters. It was the first game I thought of when I started playing it. It's old school classic gunplay. Floaty, lots of bullets to kill, some in-match weapon pickups, no health regeneration, etc. For free, it's certainly worth a try. There's also a surprisingly empathetic story "hidden" in its concept and some of the mechanics and gameplay. Cliche, but appreciated in that it gives meaning to everything else so it isn't just a random art style.

I have Resident Evil 7 but VR is such a headache to set up that I really have to be in the mood to play with it. For my apartment it requires shifting furniture and properly calibrating with the camera to get things right. Most nights I just want to relax on the couch with something I can just pick up and play. 

So VR was an expensive impractical impulse buy for you then. If I were to buy one of the SKUs available, I'd certainly take things like room space into consideration first. 

Gonna wait for that stuff to come right down in price first. 

Price wasn't an issue for me; and I have a spacious place, but some games require more than others. For example, Batman recommends that you stand over sitting, but if I do that my head is above the camera on top of the TV and therefore out of "play area." So I have to move back a few feet to get in the right spot.

I don't regret buying it at all, the tech is great in all the instances that I've used it. 

I'm sure it can. Have you tried any of the available VR headsets before? It's hard to describe but you get a sort of VR fatigue after about 45 minutes, depending on how the game uses it. I got almost immediately sick when trying Tomb Raider's VR DLC and had to take it off, but other games/experiences do better in taking into consideration how the camera moves in relation to the perspective, etc. 

With Resident Evil, I'm mostly just nervous of being terrified to death :P

I've dabbled a fair bit with a VR headset plugged into my phone, there's a surprisingly broad selection of portable experiences and demos available. I seem to be one of the lucky ones who feels no nausea or fatigue problems whatsoever, on foot or sitting. Motion sickness is something I've never suffered from once in my life. 

And right now I'm overwhelmed by games. I have about 15 title backup of stuff I want to play, so the switch isn't a priority.

It's the first time in memory such a concentration of RPG's come out in a few months

I finished The Deadly tower of Monsters .Basically you have to climb a tower in isometric view and reach the top defeating enemies and doing some side things like collectibles and upgrading weapons. The whole thing is themed like an old sci-fi  B-movie with narration ("director commentary")  .It was fun but only took me 2 nights to complete. I kinda wished it was a bit longer

If you got it for free on PS+ then play it

yeah, that was my  initial thought but it turned out pretty good

I also played Divinity Original Sin last year and that was isometric

now I'm gonna start another one I got for free a few months ago :Stories:the Path of Destinies

I played a bit of Deadly Tower of Monsters when it first became available as part of the absolutely shite PS+ service. It was alright I suppose, I got through about 3 or 4 stages before I turned it off and uninstalled it to create space. 

12 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

You're better than playing old style games. 

This is a strange attitude to have.  Are styles of gameplay instantly invalidated just by aging?  I think it's part of growing as an artform to be constantly looking back and evaluating as well as looking forward.

What Remains Of Edith Finch

Giant Sparrow's follow-up to 2012's The Unfinished Swan. The indie developer originally had a 3-game exclusivity deal with Sony just like thatgamecompany, but taking 5 years to put out a 2-hour walking sim wasn't up to Sony's standards. The game probably isn't worth the time invested in producing it, but nevertheless I found it to be a worthwhile experience. It's very much a spiritual successor to Swan in its storybook-like presentation, with text splashing in the environment as you progress. The protagonist's narration is well acted and Jeff Russo's score does a lovely job setting the melancholic tone. You explore your family estate as the last living member of an eccentric family that mysteriously suffers great tragedy and death for all of its members through generations. Each chapter is a unique story sequence in which you learn how everyone dies.

Finished  Stories,Path of Destinies .another short and  free PS+ isometric action RPG

It's a game where  you have to choose the right outcome for the story in between levels. you end up playing the game  5-6 times while getting stronger until you reach the  "true" ending.

Combat was challenging...I got Game Overs many times

Next I'll do a free DLC for Sword Art Online :Hollow Realization, a game I played a few months ago

Well Nioh is quite similar to Dark Souls.  the skills systems is different to some degree

not far enough to say if it's harder or easier but it's a bit faster combat

Well , to tell you how hard NIOH is...it took me 6 hours and about 100 attempts to beat a boss. never happened to me in Dark Souls

Nearly impossible to dodge attacks that paralyze you for 10 seconds...that's a first. That means your just sitting there and no controls are working while you get pummeled. I tried everything to avoid them in a "normal" fighting way but I couldn't or it required reflexes out of my league.

The only way I could beat it was to run away just out of range until it zoomed next to me where i could get a hit or 2, but it felt like I was cheating somehow

I'm not sure if this was a one time thing or the rest of the game is like this.

On 2017-05-05 at 9:33 AM, Quintus said:

I'll add it to my ignore list then. Pity. 

Well I think it was just that specific boss that was badly designed. And the dodge button doesn't work very well to avoid certain attacks, you have to sprint away instead.

Getting further into the game I find the design is great. The loot system is similar to Diablo and Borderlands with various effects on weapons and armor as you get more rare items which are color coded. Also the combat is evolving from the slow deliberate pace of Dark Souls to something much faster and actiony as you level up and gain more skills. There's Side Quests too.  It's a game that's hard to put down and that you look forward to playing again. I hope I can finish it in the 3 weeks window I have it for

Yeah but you're good at From Software style games that are impossible for the average gamer.

I mean, I can beat COD: World At War on Veteran but could never get more than a couple hours progress into any of the Souls games. 

On 2017-05-06 at 8:24 PM, Koray Savas said:

Yeah but you're good at From Software style games that are impossible for the average gamer.

I mean, I can beat COD: World At War on Veteran but could never get more than a couple hours progress into any of the Souls games. 

I'm good at RPG combats but I have below average aim in shooter games.

I never played the original. My first impressions aren't so great for this reboot.  Probably due to the troubled production in trying to develop the sequel and then scrapping it and starting over. Feels, looks, and sounds like an early PS3 game.  I can see where they tried to inject the spectacle of the Wolfenstein and Doom reboots, but smashing shapeless blobs with a wrench isn't too exciting in terms of gameplay.