What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I started playing Tomb Raider Anniversary on the 360. I believe that it is a remake of one of the original PS games. Or maybe it is just inspired by the original. I used to love the Tomb Raider games when they first came out and this one is taking me back to those days in middle school playing the first and second Tomb Raiders.

I was really looking forward to Rage, but after they made a demo available on Xbox Live... I changed my mind.

Got past the brick wall learning curve of BF3 online. It's brilliant.

After recenty deciding to buy a new PC, I thought it'd be cool to also build it so it would be able to digest some of the newest games. Here's the configuration, I'd like to know your opinion of it (esp. gamingwise):

- Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3 motherboard

- Gigabyte GE-P450P-C2 power supply

- Intel Core i5 2300 2,8 GHz Quad

- 8 GB RAM

- Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1 GB

- Crucial M4 Real SSD 64 GB (will act as system drive) + 2 additional HDDs (160 GB + 250 GB) which I'll take from my old PC

- Samsung Blu-ray + DVD-RW drive

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64

- 24" Samsung Full HD LED LCD monitor

I still have a week or so to wait until I get all the components but in the meantime, you can all tell me your opinion about what you think of this configuration, and will I be able to play stuff like COD MW3 and MS Flight Simulator X on it smoothly with full settings and with good FPS rates?

I was really looking forward to Rage, but after they made a demo available on Xbox Live... I changed my mind.

Got past the brick wall learning curve of BF3 online. It's brilliant.

No demo on the PSN unfortunately. For some reason they like to gives us demos and full game trials months later when no one gives a shit. I too was looking forward to it but IGN's review made me cancel my pre-order. Looks more like Borderlands than Dead Island does. I haven't opened it yet, and probably won't for awhile. Revelations takes priority.

I've been playing Skyrim here and there and have decided that I honestly don't really like it. I'm already bored, and the crap combat system makes it harder than it should be. Unfortunate, but at least I have the next Fallout to look forward to. Dark Souls is only $35 for Cyber Monday, mighty tempting.

Well if there's something perfect about Dark Souls it's the combat.

It's hard, but not because the controls are bad or imprecise

How different is it from Demon's Souls? Because the combat system in that game is seriously flawed.

Well if there's something perfect about Dark Souls it's the combat.

It's hard, but not because the controls are bad or imprecise

How different is it from Demon's Souls? Because the combat system in that game is seriously flawed.

I guess it's similar with some tweaks. I'm not sure what you mean by seriously flawed, it's regarded as the best in terms of 3rd person swordfighting. Monsters can still kill you with 1 or 2 hits if that's what you mean so you need to be tactical and you can't button mash to victory

It's difficult, that's why most people play a bit and quit. And if you build an ineffective character your screwed.

What's better than Demon's Souls is the Bonfires and the open world. You don't need to backtrack as much if you die

Yes, Dark Souls feels a lot more like an open world RPG and Demon's Souls is more like "levels" .At some point in the game you can even warp in between Bonfires.You never feel like your stuck in one spot

The monsters re-spawn when you rest, but I would say it's similar to Borderlands where the monsters also re-spawn when you come back to an area

Sounds better to me, but at the moment I've got too many games on my plate. I started up Rage and am really liking it so far. The 60fps and graphics are wonderful, although textures load quite slowly. Gameplay is a good mixture of Borderlands and Fallout. There was even a "Vault Boy Bobblehead" I found on a desk. Lots of nods and similarities.

- 8 GB RAM

- Crucial M4 Real SSD 64 GB (will act as system drive) + 2 additional HDDs (160 GB + 250 GB) which I'll take from my old PC

It looks good. I think you'll be fine.

That SSD is smaller than the hard drives that you're used to, so I recommend researching the "symlink" command to trick Windows into locating your Users folders on one of the slave hard drives. Apparently you can set that up when you install Windows, but I do not remember observing the option when I installed mine two months ago. It's one thing to manually keep your videos, photos, and music off the SSD. It's quite another when all your savegames and other game files are saved there, and your SSD is choked full.

Good luck with Skyrim. I won't be able to touch that until I bring my desktop down with me and get an internet service. So I'm just going to play through Morrowind again.

Finally completeted the biggest disappointment in Lee's gaming history since Halo 2.

Uncharted 3.

6/10

By the end I was calling the game a cunt.

I saw you playing and decided to finish off my Crushing play through. I don't understand why you and Marian thought it fell apart in the end.

I could write a lengthy rant about the game if I could be bothered, but I'll spare you the read. Let's just say I've never played such a muddled and contrived; yet aggravatingly polished game in my life. It almost felt exactly like Indiana Jones IV - except that movie never had any such "polish" reaped upon it. The game came off as a bloated mess constructed by a committee of game folk drunk on the plaudits of the previous titles in the series.

A cautionary tale then, a common hole to fall into. I hope NG can get back to their feet, dust themselves off and learn from the experience.

The game is near perfect to me, and it more or less seems most think so as well. I can understand certain pacing issues, but I never felt there was a dull moment in the gameplay. It was never aggravating, always challenging, and as fun as the franchise has always been.

Like Gears 3 before it, and Metal Gear Solid 2 before that (to quickly name two), I reckon Uncharted 3 will join the ranks of Games Which Weren't As Good As Initially Thought. You know, alongside Zelda: The Wind Walker and LA Noir, stuff like that.

- 8 GB RAM

It looks good. I think you'll be fine.

That SSD is smaller than the hard drives that you're used to, so I recommend researching the "symlink" command to trick Windows into locating your Users folders on one of the slave hard drives. Apparently you can set that up when you install Windows, but I do not remember observing the option when I installed mine two months ago. It's one thing to manually keep your videos, photos, and music off the SSD. It's quite another when all your savegames and other game files are saved there, and your SSD is choked full.

Good luck with Skyrim. I won't be able to touch that until I bring my desktop down with me and get an internet service. So I'm just going to play through Morrowind again.

Seems to me that Graphics card is what was going on 3 years ago. IF I were ever to get a gaming PC i would try to get a graphics card as close to top of the line without going overboard (like the absolute best one that cost 400$ more than the rest of them)

Top of the line today is obsolete in a year. You have to balance performance with what you're willing to pay, and while I said I think that system will be just fine, including its video card, it will be obsolete very soon.

Is that assembly of parts the best that Maglorfin can build? Nope. If were building a system today, I would buy parts that blow Maglorfin's machine out of the water. I just helpd my love build a computer that certainly can run laps around my three year old rig, and you know what? It's the nature of the beast/hobby/industry.

That motherboard only has USB 2.0, and I use eSATA and USB 3.0 which have much, much faster data transfer rates. 2.0 seems as slow now as 1.1 did when 2.0 came out. Having had an i7 for three years, an i5 is obviously slower. And a 550W power supply may limit how beefy of a video card that could be put into the computer.

The output resolution of the video card is quite nice -- a 2560 x 1600 monitor is expensive! -- and 1 GB of onboard memory is pretty typical these days.

A "top of the line" video card would be a professional workstation video card that is meant to be used for high-demand graphics, like CAD and CGI. A several thousand dollar video card is definitely overboard, and would turn your motherboard, processor, PSU, and memory into bottlenecks. But even putting the best $600 video card into your computer, or putting two $189 cards in a SLI/Crossfire configuration....you have to be using the types of games that can benefit from that hardware.

Like Gears 3 before it, and Metal Gear Solid 2 before that (to quickly name two), I reckon Uncharted 3 will join the ranks of Games Which Weren't As Good As Initially Thought. You know, alongside Zelda: The Wind Walker and LA Noir, stuff like that.

What's wrong with Metal Gear Solid 2? ;)

Is that assembly of parts the best that Maglorfin can build? Nope. If were building a system today, I would buy parts that blow Maglorfin's machine out of the water.

So would I, but unfortunately, there's that old problem again - I just don't have enough money so I'll have to make do with this configuration. Otherwise, thank you for taking the time and offering your opinion! I appreciate it. Well, after I get the new PC home and start using it, I have 2 weeks' time in which I can bring the PC back to the shop and exchange/upgrade any part(s) as I see fit in a way that they take the parts back as new and I can just exchange them for others (and of course, probably pay some extra money). So when I get the PC, 2 weeks will be enough time to test it pretty thoroughly with some games, then I'll see what I'll do.

I saw you playing and decided to finish off my Crushing play through. I don't understand why you and Marian thought it fell apart in the end.

Don't get me wrong. I merely said it doesn't leave up to its initial promises in the end. In the first third, it clearly seemed to be the best UC by far, not least due to a very gripping story and an interesting way to tell it (childhood flashbacks etc.), and some of the best puzzles in the series. The middle part had some great set pieces to keep the overall level. But where the first two games still had a strong driving story at the end, UC3 suddenly seemed to lose focus and became merely a good action game where the others were good *involving* action games. After finishing the first two, I had a feeling of having completed a journey. With UC3, I'd just completed a good game, somehow the journey was over before that.

I still consider it to be on the same level as UC2. It's just poorly balanced, running out of highlights before the game is over. It's a credit to the series that a game which ultimately made me feel slightly disappointed (with the way it ended, not with the overall game) is still one of the best games I've played.

And the score is clearly the best of the three.

So yesterday, I got and put together my new PC. :devil: The final configuration is:

- Gigabyte GE-E570A-C3 Superb power supply

- Intel Core i7 2600 3,4 GHz Quad

- 16 GB RAM

- Crucial M4 Real SSD 64 GB (will act as system drive) + 2 additional HDDs (160 GB + 250 GB) which I've taken from my old PC

Can't wait to install and begin playing CoD: MW3 and Flight Simulator X today! :D

Yes! Xbox Skyrim is finally playable http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-15-skyrim-patch-1-3-on-xbox-live-now

I've not been on it it for nearly a month!

Koray, yeah I agree The Last of Us sounds intriguing (I've read the pitch), but that trailer didn't do much for me. I'm sick and tired of zombies, infected, whatever.

But still, it's NG and so naturally I will keep an eye on the game's development.

Finished Majin and the forsaken kingdom. Decent game but terrible boss battles (too easy and badly designed)

Going through more older titles that have been sitting on my shelf.

Right now Ninety Nine Knights .Edit: Meh, I quit after 2 nights playing it. Basically it's an arcade style hack and slash you start over with 7 different characters but basically the same maps. Did 2 characters and that's enough.Good it only cost me 10$

Started Heavenly Sword.

Seems like a cinematic game where you just walk through linear pre-set levels with limited interaction

Fixed camera like GoW that I hate

Can't figure out the six-axis motion controls. I can see why most PS3 titles don't use it

Ehhh....

It's a lot like GoW, yes. I love GoW. Heavenly Sword is very cinematic and linear, but there's still plenty to do. It opens up the more powerful you get. But if you don't like the design then you don't like the design; that's fair enough.

It's a lot like GoW, yes. I love GoW. Heavenly Sword is very cinematic and linear, but there's still plenty to do. It opens up the more powerful you get. But if you don't like the design then you don't like the design; that's fair enough.

Ehh, and "quick time events" , this game keeps adding stuff I hate

I don't get why people love Lego games. Just make a legit Lord Of The Rings game, or a legit Harry Potter game, or a legit Pirates Of The Caribbean game, etc.

Because they are fun with hardly any glitches, and very easy to pick up and play. Plus the official music adds to the ambience.

And if you are looking for a legit Lord of the Rings game, I can recommend http://www.amazon.co...2/dp/B00009VE6D

One of the best movie adaption video games there is. I would check your local gamestop first for a better deal, though.

I still have the PS2 Lord Of The Rings games. They weren't anything special to me. Imagine a Middle Earth RPG like Elder Scrolls. That'd be sweet. Well, Elder Scrolls is pretty much what that would be. It has as much detail and languages, and races, etc. as Tolkien's creation.

Heavenly Sword probably has the cheapest final boss battle I've ever encountered.

Basically you can walk through the entire game without breaking a sweat and then the difficulty increases 10 fold all of a sudden

After 3 hours I haven't been able to beat his last form. Seriously it's not fun because the rest of the game wasn't that way and there's no real way to prepare for it.

I'll finish it but seriously I though this was a terrible game.

Imagine a Middle Earth RPG like Elder Scrolls. That'd be sweet. Well, Elder Scrolls is pretty much what that would be. It has as much detail and languages, and races, etc. as Tolkien's creation.

There already is a Middle Earth RPG. Well, it's an MMORPG to be more precise. Lord of the Rings online, and it's now free to play, but it's for the PC, not consoles. A single-player RPG set in Middle Earth used to be in the works, called The White Council, but it was either shelved or canceled. Most of the video games set in Middle Earth (either book or movie licenses) have either been action, like the aforementioned titles, or strategy, like the Battle for Middle Earth series.

The Lego video games exist because fans of the Lego video games want them, play them, and clamor for more. I'd personally rather just play with non-Lego video games or the Lego bricks themselves, and never the twain shall meet, but that's just me. Then again, if I was a parent and the chilluns had to be playing video games, simulated Lego cartoony violence is better than the simulated real violence that a truer-to-life movie franchise should have, like SW, LOTR, or POTC. The Lego games are harmless family-friendly fun. I own the SW game for the Wii and having never beaten it (or touched it for about two years), I reckon it's enough.

KM, as for "games tied in movies," do you mean games set in universes created by movies, or games that recreate the movie?

For the first time ever I'm about to give up on a final Boss fight

Can't beat Heavenly Sword. Been trying for hours and can only get the boss down to half health. It's relies too much on split second blocking/button mashing and I think even a tiny amount of controller lag will make you lose this one. .And they also made this fight with zero healing items

Edit: Ok I beat the fucker but it's the longest it's ever taken me including anything in Demon's Souls/Dark Souls

I've given up on plenty of boss battles.

I got to the final round with Scar on The Lion King for Genesis but died, and while I had plenty of lives, I lost all motivation to actually beat the game. So I shut it off, much to the dismay of my sister watching, who probably wanted to take over.

And another time, I got to Bowser in Mario 3 on the Nintendo, but died, and had used a P-Wing to skim over a really tough level before it. Or maybe I'm combining memories there. Either way, I never beat Mario 3.

At least with modern console and PC games -- for the most part -- you can save your games. Games take many more hours to play than the old-time console games that were meant to be played in a single setting, with no save games or continue codes. Emulators for PC with their save slots pretty much take care of the old console games. Point is, most games are now beatable, if you make the time.

Well I put it on the shelf then took it back out to beat the boss anyways. I couldn't stand losing to a game.

I even put the cord on the controller to eliminate lag due to the wireless controller. But it's in split second button mashing games like this that TV lag may have an effect.

Next up :

Hunted:The Demon's Forge