What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Oh, another thing. If an orc asks you to kill him, you can't do it if you're over-encumbered by 650. Just sayin'. It was some random encounter that disappeared when I tried to backtrack, only to be replaced by a necromantic wood elf with a chip on her shoulder.

Oh please. I'm only at level six, so I need the money. I only started playing on Sunday, and probably only have about eight hours total in. I've only got about $3600 and I need $5000 to buy the first in Whiterun? Haha, I'll just stash my stuff at Anise's shack once I check out her basement and assume ownership. I decided to leave Whiterun before hitting the western watchtower and retrace my path through the Bleak Falls Barrow, and I picked up everything in it. Everything, that means linens and embalming tools, too. Unfortunately, my speech skill isn't very high, but since that skill now includes mercantile, even selling junk for pennies on the dollar adds up over time and improves the skill.

So I didn't make a fortune by dumping 11 iron shields and a bunch of ancient Nord weapons at the blacksmith in Riverwood, but I gained a level or two in speech. That's the same thing as all you guys who make and enchant small daggers and sell them to improve your smithing (and speech when you sell them). I just don't have a soul trap weapon or spell yet to enchant, but haven't found made my way to an enchanting table anyways. Enchanting and alchemy tables? Worst ideas ever. They should be done on the fly as in Morrowind and Oblivion.

Solitude? Not there yet. I'm still crawling back to WR with all the loot I plundered from the western watchtower. Too bad I can't aim at the ground and FUS myself to bunny hop.

yeah in Skyrim at the beginning it's best to pick up all the stuff and sell it. And hire Janessa in the Inn as a sidekick to carry stuff

Buy the house early

I'm at the point where I only pick up enchanted items to sell.

Finished Mage Guilds, will do Thiefs Guild quests

See Koray? Another misanthrope who needs to "just play the game?" :lick:

After I empty my arms of the western tower swag, I'm gonna go hang out with Anise, take her house -- and enchantment table -- and then fill in some of the map. The story can wait.

I wouldn't be so quick to say "definitely." Part of what makes WOW so popular is the human interaction: you can call up your buddies and coordinate raids and quests. The Elder Scrolls and Bethesda Fallout series are single player only. You can call up your friends and ask how they worked through a certain area, but they can be quite lonely places if you like interfacing with real people; nearly all of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout characters are bumps on a log.

You only like FO3 so much because DC's your backyard, right? After playing through a bit of FNV, for me, FO3 pales in comparison. I'm not quite ready to say Skyrim's the greatest thing since sliced bread either -- the dumbed down interface blows goat -- but I still grade Morrowind far higher than Oblivion, because there's more to games than just pretty graphics (for me, I'm weird like that). The best thing Skyrim has so far is dual wielding spells.

After putting it on hold for a while I finally returned to Dead Island. It's hugely flawed, but that doesn't stop it from being a complete gem. And it's HUGE. I've just gotten to the jungle (after thinking I'd nearly finished the game) and the thing has just opened up again.

KM, why haven't you played this game? It's Borderlands with zombies; only better. The looting is quicker and less of a chore, the weapon customisation is deeper (with visible differences in both weapon designs and how they damage the enemy), the upgrade trees seem to offer more choice and the graphics, well they wipe the floor with Borderlands.

I have Dead Island on my "list"

Ok so now I'm done with all the faction quests and Main Quest of Skyrim.

Just need to tidy up the loose ends and some NPC sidequests

Too bad some of the sidequests in Skyrim weren't as "epic" as the main one

Until Monday, Black Ops costs 20 EUR instead of 50 EUR at the local computer stores chain. I think I'll be buying it; together with World at War, it's the only CoD game I don't yet have, plus Trent is speaking very highly of it. :)

I've been playing a lot of Worms Armageddon.

:thumbup: The series really took a dive when they moved to 3D. Too much of the gameplay mechanics were based on a 2D world.

Hedgewars is a great modern open source/free Worms-type game. Available for all the usual desktop systems and also for iPhone and (experimentally) for Android. Lots of configuration options, too.

I still remember Tankwars, Scorched Earth, and even Gorilla.bas that I found lurking on my DOS machine back in the day. All have the same basic game mechanics as Worms: 2D game of lobbing explosives at your opponents, controlling the angle and speed of your toss. Awesome fun.

Yes. Worms was the game that took the Tankwars concept to a new level by giving you a team of characters that could actually move or jump around. Or at least I think Worms was the first game to do that. Surely the first successful one, at least.

In Gorillas and Tankwars you couldn't move. I don't think you could move laterally in Scorched Earth, but the ground could disappear from under you, dropping your tank. But those games only gave you a lone tank. In Worms, you could dig your last guy into a deep hole underground and hope you had an airstrike left.

In Gorillas and Tankwars you couldn't move. I don't think you could move laterally in Scorched Earth, but the ground could disappear from under you, dropping your tank.

That goes for Tankwars, too. Inertia Damp FTW!

I never did get the hate towards Dead Islands visuals. Sure, it's rough around the edges, but some of the locales are stunning in a pulpy Planet Terror sort of way.

I don't know, I only played it for 30 minutes and was bored out of my mind. But I recently played Far Cry 2 (free for PS+), and I thought that Dead Island was the exact same game, except with zombies instead of Africans, and that game is 4 years old.

I'm not suggesting you boot it up and see, but did you ever try the analogue control scheme found in the settings? It brings the visceral close combat alive. It takes a little getting used to, but there's no going back once you adjust. It's the ONLY way to play the game. By comparison it exposes the combat of Skyrim as being the sloppy button masher it is. Skyrim would've been beastly with Dead Island's analogue controls.

My list of games (new releases) to buy this year keeps growing

Final Fantasy 13-2

Kingdoms of Armalur

Mass Effect 3

Sorcery

Tales of Grace

The Witcher 2

Risen 2

Dragon's Dogma

Darksiders 2

I'm not suggesting you boot it up and see, but did you ever try the analogue control scheme found in the settings? It brings the visceral close combat alive. It takes a little getting used to, but there's no going back once you adjust. It's the ONLY way to play the game. By comparison it exposes the combat of Skyrim as being the sloppy button masher it is. Skyrim would've been beastly with Dead Island's analogue controls.

A couple friends who beat the game together told me that too. Haven't tried it personally, but when I eventually get back to it I'll try it out. They also said the beginning area in the resort is the worst part of the game. I believe them, but I feel like playing co-op would make the game 10x more fun. By myself I just had no motivation to do anything.

Skyrim combat is not even "button mashing"

It's "swing randomly at anything near you". All the fancy "power attack" perks are useless

That's why I'm trying to play as a stealthy elf with emphasis on magic. I prefer taking down my opponents from a distance with poisoned arrows or casting Fury on the enemies near them to let them do the dirty work for me. I've had it with the clunky combat of TES games. If I do end up close and personal, I have flame spells and an effective shout, but I'm still dangerous with a greatsword.

The power attacks work but the perks take dedication to unlock. Charging with your shield and knocking down every enemy in your path is awesome; and hilarious because they fly a bit farther than physics and gravity would allow.

I stole a horse in the middle of nowhere when some bandits killed him. Apparently shooting Fury spell at a horse nets you a bandit, but a horse is tough against Bandit Thugs. The horse was fortuitous because I was like 300 lbs over encumbered, so I couldn't fast travel, but I could still walk, jump, swim, and ride a horse. Thing is, when I exited the cave, with all my extra goodies conveniently hidden at a fast travel spot, my horse was gone. Go figure.

ok, I think I'm done with Skyrim

158 hours playtime

Did most of he scripted quests I think.

Forged a last Glass Sword:

298base damage,78 Fire Damage,78Shock Damage and Half Magica Damage

Didn't realize I've been playing this for a month and a half

I've been playing The Sly Collection and MW3. New maps today suck. IW's developers did a really poor job this time around, and not just for these new additions, the whole shabang.

I got Twisted Metal two weeks back and played it for an hour or so. Good classic fun but gets boring fast, I haven't touched it since. Needs a friend to keep the gameplay interesting. Campaign is trash. Black had it down perfectly.

Today I got SSX. Again, the story is trash but the gameplay is perfect. I don't know why developers try to add stories to arcade style gameplay. It's not needed. I just want to pick a cool looking character (or in TM's case, a car) and hit the slopes. None of this Team SSX vs backstabber bullshit where they're trying to one-up each other's egos. And because of that, they took away the competition factor. All the characters are your "friends." Bleh. You don't need to get 1st in a race, just first three to prove you're not the worst of your buddies. C'mon! Regardless of that, EA really brought it back to its roots. Insane and impossible moves of Tricky with current gen graphics and a new slew of control schemes. It takes awhile to get down, but using the right joystick to perform all your stuff works quite well (I imagine this is the same situation that Quint described with Dead Island). Survival mode is fun and hard as hell, and each mountain range/character has its own little perk. Having to use oxygen masks to prevent you from blacking out, wing suits to fly over deadly cliffs and crevices, ice axes to be able to board on ice, etc. It all really adds a nice kick to the gameplay.

Mass Effect 3 next week. I've got too many games.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I finally completed Dead Island. Massive game, as moreishly brilliant as it is frustratingly flawed. A convincing, if ultimately unsatisfying 8/10 adventure.

I'm currently playing Beyond Good & Evil HD and ICO HD (missed 'em both first time around).

Both have held up remarkably well, in every way.

My friend Joe and I have basically given up on Modern Warfare 3 all together. I think a lot of people that were on Modern Warfare 2 as far as hacking accounts go moved to there. Game play for the most part on that game was really horse shit nearly every time. Hell you would expect to have a few good games but most of the time, you don't.

You die way too easily on the game, compared to Black Ops. There's been times where both of us empty out an entire clip, sometimes two at people and they won't die. Yet one or two bullets from their guns and we're done. Literally most of the time it's one or two bullets after watching the kill cam replay. When that happens we sort of suspect it maybe a hacked account.

We've gotten to the point that we regret purchasing Modern Warfare 3 and we're both seriously thinking about trading it in for another game. I might trade mine in for Grand Turismo, that way when I move Dawn here to Utah she and I will have a game that we can play together.

Speaking of Black Ops, one thing that has been really irritating the fuck out of me lately with that game is the air knife glitch. That has become horribly BAD lately. Most of the time the other dude's back will be to me when the air knife glitch happens. My friend Joe has also noticed how much that glitch has increased. Over all though game play on Black Ops is by far better than Modern Warfare 3.

If a new Call Of Duty game is made, I'm not sure if I'll buy it. After Modern Warfare 3 basically failed to live up to the hype I'm hesitant about future Call Of Duty games.

I'm sure I can remember you moaning about the previous CoD; and yet you still play the franchise. That's what CoD players do I've noticed - moan endlessly about how bullshit it is; and yet they continue to play. It's depressing - not content with being review-proof; the Call of Duty franchise is also bitch and whine-proof. Ugh.

You should try Killzone 3 online. Outside of campaigns, it's all I've been playing. Magnificent shooter; criminally overlooked by 'the CoD crowd'. I friggin' love how it's now downloadable (with all the DLC, no less). I don't even own the disc and yet I'm able to boot it up whenever I want. Awesome. Be warned though: it requires SKILL.

You should try Killzone 3 online. Outside of campaigns, it's all I've been playing. Magnificent shooter; criminally overlooked by 'the CoD crowd'. I friggin' love how it's now downloadable (with all the DLC, no less). I don't even own the disc and yet I'm able to boot it up whenever I want. Awesome.

I actually did have Killzone 2. Stupid me trade it into Game Stop for Modern Warfare 3, I wish I had not done that. I actually had a fun time every time I played Killzone 2. I most of the time ended up chuckling whenever either I die or I kill someone. I did notice everyone was practically evenly matched with weapons and such. It was definitely more balanced compared to the Call Of Duty games.

I might get Killzone 3 but not right now.