What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

On 2017-08-07 at 9:45 PM, Koray Savas said:

In those situations just look it up online. I only got stuck at one spot in Inside, from what I recall. It was pretty tame, at least compared to other puzzle games.

I looked once online for Last Guardian. My patience is about 45 minutes when I can't advance and can't exclude a bug or the character not moving correctly (like can jump there :?or I'm just not jumping correctly) Especially with games  already buggy

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

Did they ever improve the animal's behaviour in patches?

I don't believe so. They acknowledged it at release, saying it was more realistic because animals in real life don't always listen to you. Just a bs excuse for shoddy game design. 

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Never heard of this until a gamescast I watch tweeted about it. Did some slight digging to see what type of game it was, and the sheer visual aesthetic of it all made it an instabuy. It's as if Naughty Dog developed a Souls game.

Gorgeous visual narrative here with some really unique sound design going on. Love that there's no HUD, no map, no objective marker, etc. It's heavy on story and environmental storytelling, but there's bits of action and gameplay throughout that is simple enough to grasp but can get you a bit nervous when you start taking too many hits. If you die enough times, the game erases your save and you have to start over. 

I'm cautious about that one because of the critical praise it's had (my trust of professional reviews is at an all time low). It doesn't help that I've recently played through Ryse, which looks mechanically very similar, and repetition in the combat is something I've heard the two games share, if nothing else. I might look at getting Hellblade next year, by which time I'll probably feel like hacking and slashing endless combatants again.

Started Saints Row IV a fortnight ago and finished it last night. It was one of those games which I picked up years ago via some Humble Bundle deal and it has been sat installed on my PC ever since. Basically, it is Crackdown 3 with some added profanity and crude humour (some of it genuinely amusing). I probably had more fun with this than I did with GTA V. The best thing is I've levelled my character up about as far as he'll go and so he's this ridiculously all-powerful superhero who can literally leap over tall buildings in a single bound and throw cars into orbit, so all that's left to do now is to lower the voices audio setting down to 0% and pass the controller over to my little boy. He'll be in heaven!

The combat is truly very limited. I haven't beaten it yet, but the bulk of the game is traversing nightmarish ruins and figuring out how to progress through trippy puzzles while disembodied voices confuse and guide you.

It's also apparently only 5-6 hours long, so I must be about halfway through. 

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Never heard of this until a gamescast I watch tweeted about it. Did some slight digging to see what type of game it was, and the sheer visual aesthetic of it all made it an instabuy. It's as if Naughty Dog developed a Souls game.

hey, I looked at the game play and I want to play this. I wonder how it flew under my radar

5 hours ago, king mark said:

hey, I looked at the game play and I want to play this. I wonder how it flew under my radar

I'm not sure if it's your type of game because it's really simple mechanically. Heavy attack, quick attack, melee, block, and dodge.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I'm not sure if it's your type of game because it's really simple mechanically. Heavy attack, quick attack, melee, block, and dodge.

if I'm using a sword it's my type of game

2 hours ago, king mark said:

if I'm using a sword it's my type of game

Okay then you'll enjoy it, just trying to give you fair warning. You can't even use the sword unless enemies are present. I beat the second boss and it was more difficult than I anticipated compared to the first. Took forever too, at least 20 minutes. 

I just got around to playing Life is Strange and it's possibly the best narrative experience in a video game (apart from a few parts of Episode 5) I've ever come across.

Returned home to find my copy of The Lost Legacy had been posted through the door. That's me sorted.

Although I'm hesitant to put Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on hold.

I just can't believe the incredible fidelity of the explorable world in this game, I think it's possibly beyond anything I've played before. Believe me, these heavily compressed shots do not do the spectacular visuals in The Lost Legacy full justice:

J7QMxiR.jpg

Q7zg73O.jpg

cEQJYam.jpg

I remember when I was a kid I used to dream about a day when graphics reached this level, it felt like a distant wish (I suppose it really was). But static imagery is only part of the picture; the nuanced, naturalistic animation; the way the vegetation sways independently and then gently billows in the breeze; the absolutely beautiful post processing motion blur effects when panning the camera - the technical craft and painterly artistry combines to make traversal through these spaces an absolute joy. It feels special to an old grizzled gamer and graphics whore like me.

Neither Tintin nor this game target photorealism though. It's stylised animation, highly detailed cartoons. The Hobbit went for high fantasy "realism" but wound up looking wrong and garish - due to the live action performances they shared the frame with.

Sure, you're the apple to this thread's orange, but I never mind humouring your bored ignorance whatever the weather.

The point was Uncharted's art shares much more in common with WETA's work on Tintin than it does with their Hobbit visual. Seeing as we're comparing video game graphics to movies visuals.

Just got me thinking. Had The Hobbit been entirely a WETA digital production -- jettisoning the real actors for fully mo-capped performances instead -- it probably would have gone a long way to addressing one of my key issues with the films: how they look. The visual style of the effects would be no where near as jarring as they are if the whole movie was created in the same way, because visual consistency by its nature is seamless. With the visual effects ID the trilogy has, it might have been great as a fully CG animation. Again, I'm arguing the heavily stylised effects themselves aren't necessarily bad but rather out of place - because they share the film with live actors. The two elements are simply at odds with each other. It's just one bad composite shot after another, absolutely saturated in bloom to disguise the seams. It's hideous.

Blimey, Jacko gone done screwed up big time.

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I played an hour or so of the game last night. That first reveal of India at night was one of the many breathtaking vista shots Uncharted shows off. Love Naughty Dog.

Seeing the open wilds section in Lost Legacy makes me think it's essentially a prototype for what lies in store in The Last of Us 2, and I'm salivating at the mouth for it.

Looks like some guy leaked what the plot of Half Life 2 Episode 3 would have been if Valve had bothered to finish making it

http://www.avclub.com/this-short-story-is-probably-the-closest-well-ever-get-1798421996

Playing Uncharted: The Lost Symbol. Not quite finished yet but will do soon (I think). For something that appeared to be merely an expansion and small addition to main series, it feels very complete and satisfying on its own. Instead of making that film, they should just give us more games and I wouldn't mind to have more of Chloe adventures actually. She's more than capable to fill Nate's shoes. There's nothing really new about The Lost Symbol but it is genuinely fun and entertaining.

Karol