What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Because I didn't do everything in an exact sequence of event I didn't get the "true end" on my JRPG Cross Edge and denied the post game bonus stuff.

I'm not sure what's the point of completing the game by following a guide to the letter to get there.

Oh well on to FF13-2 then Kingdom of Armalur

This bullshit happened to me last night on Black Ops. This is by far the worst air knight glitch to ever happen to me. I realize my body disappears after I die, the recording screwed up while I was capturing it. There should have been no way in hell that guy got the kill. Even my friend Joe was really baffled at that one and thought it was bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfBgPEeo_q8

Glitches can affect any game on any platform. They happen because developers are rushed to beat a deadline and don't always have time to double-check every conceivable scenario of the game 100%. We don't buy games anymore so much as we buy mostly complete beta versions of the games. They affect PS3, 360, and yes, even the PC. My Skyrim game locked up last night in an orange screen of doom that made me think my video card was shot from taking on three sabre toothed cats at once; glitch.

Only after the company gauges its success at the store do they determine whether to "fix" the glitches and issue forth patches via online updates or repressed discs. You would think with a extremely popular and lucrative franchise like Call of Duty, they would get right on that. Fortunately we're long past the days when game consoles had no internet functionality, which meant if a game cartridge went gold with a glitch, it was permanent.

Perhaps you should stop playing.

Why the hell would I want to quit playing because of a glitch? As Wojo said, glitches are bound to happen with these type of games and it affects every console, not just the PS3.

Glitches.do.not.exist.in.Halo.games.

I remember right at the beginning of Halo Reach's release there was indeed a glitch which allowed players to exploit the spawn-on-buddy system in a way which let the player gain access to a part of an objectives map which wasn't in play yet; thus allowing them to complete the off-limits objective within minutes of the match starting. That thing was nuked in days - Bungie don't fuck about. That was the last time that game had any imperfections in design. There's never an excuse for shipping unfinished games, EVER. Polish that shit to within an inch of its life and gain the respect of discerning gamers around the globe.

You might have said it's the worst thing you ever laid your eyes on or called it the best thing since slice bread, and it would still be besides the point - in a conversation about glitches in games. I mentioned it only as a counter to the notion that "all games are glitchy and we gotta just live with it." Complacency is something I'm not interested in. Thankfully there are a handful of devs (and publishing partners) out there whose production philosophies align with my own high standards.

There's never an excuse for shipping unfinished games, EVER. Polish that shit to within an inch of its life and gain the respect of discerning gamers around the globe.

I totally agree with that. I only stated what I did earlier as a lament for software manufacturers that do publish buggy games. Exploits are one thing; those kinds of glitches can be fun. Savvy game players build their superior game play around exploiting such glitches to gain an advantage. Doom 1 has some of the best exploits ever.

Game breaking glitches are another. Bethesda is notorious for publishing games with these. The Fallout and Elder Scroll games are high profile money makers, but whether the company is lazy, the marketing people give them unrealistic deadlines (11-11-11, hahaha, that's cute, but it meant the game shipped broken), or the games themselves are just too ambitious to be stable on release, all the games are buggy. Obsidian is similar.

I respect game companies that don't ship buggy games, but I also do respect companies that fully support their games and publish patches to fix them.

I usually wait at least 2 months before playing a new release. By that time the major patches have come out at least

i had no issues with Skyrim

The problem with the Call Of Duty games is that it generally can take up to the 4th patch before they have most stuff fixed. Even then there's still glitches to be found in the games. I think it's been like that since the first Modern Warfare game.

I guess this isn't really a glitch with the game but more of a technical issue. Modern Warfare 3 came out November 8th, 2011 and my friend Joe and I noticed right away that there was an issue with the blue tooth. We would hear each other cut out a lot and it got rather annoying, yet on Black Ops we heard each other as clear as day almost like talking on a cell phone.

Well in February they finally fixed this issue and they all ready had a couple of patches out between November and February. I mean seriously it took 3 months to fix the blue tooth issue?

In other news, Double Fine Adventure (the new point and click adventure by Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, which nobody here cares about) has been funded via Kickstarter. They reached $3,335,325 of there $400,000 goal. Can't wait for the first production updates (and of course for my T-shirt and poster).

Perhaps you should stop playing.

Why the hell would I want to quit playing because of a glitch? As Wojo said, glitches are bound to happen with these type of games and it affects every console, not just the PS3.

Not just a single glitch, that would be unreasonable. But if the game continuously frustrates you I'd recommend you stop playing. That's essentially what I've done for the Call of Duty games I have.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I have to buy Gran Turismo separately now for my gf after I get her moved here. I went to Game Stop today and traded in Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3, and both Force Unleashed games (I don't play em' any more) for Battlefield 3.

What a coincidence - I'm playing BF3 right now. Incredible game.

That's what people have been saying about it. My friend Joe also traded in a few of his games to get a copy of it too. So we'll be giving it a try tonight.

Important word of friendly advice: the game has a steep learning curve - it's HARD to get into - don't be expecting CoD style "pick-up-and-play" - it's not that sort of game. There's so much to get your head around, it can feel overwhelming - the game demands that you spend many hours figuring it out, adapting to the hardcore style of gameplay. Newcomers like yourself would be best to start with Team Deathmatch and Squad Deathmatch (bigger maps than TD, with four teams of four); before advancing to the Objective stuff - the "bread and butter" of the BF series. Go with the Assault class whilst you're learning the ropes and remember to press left on the D-Pad to throw down a medipack to heal yourself (and your team mates). Right on the D-Pad will instantly revive fallen comrades - awarding you 100 points for the effort!

If you have patience, you will slowly start to click with how everything works. At first, you will die a LOT, but that will pass, in time. I sat up and just took the punishment until I started to kill more than I died. Once that happens, you will never play CoD again.

Good luck, and remember - don't blame the game for the fact that you keep dying: it's all part of the learning curve! The rewards and satisfaction will come eventually - so long as you stick at it. If you can play Battlefield, you can play anything.

Ya one of Joe's friends warned us that it will suck for the first probably couple of weeks. Then it will get easier if we stuck to it. It took a bit for my friend Joe and I to figure out how to get into the same squad so we could hear each other via bluetooth. I had Battlefield 2 but didnt care for it so I got rid of it. Battlefield 3 though looks better than that.

Sorry, I meant anything online - ie competitively.

As for the Soul's games, I'd have sat and hammered them fifteen years ago in my teens, but I sadly just don't have that sort patience nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm slowly starting to like Battlefield 3. I'm still getting used to it though as it's much easier to be killed on that game than Call Of Duty. You can actually go to more places and drive or fly vehicles which is cooler than Call Of Duty.

anybody tried mass effect 3?

how is it? (no spoilers please! :) )

not yet. I'll play it later this year since I did the first 2. When I can buy it for 20$

Finally, there's a game for me. It's called 'Journey' and you need to download it for the PS3. No plot, no action, no shooting, no villains, no hyper-realistic graphics .... only mood. You only have to find your way through the desert. Love it!

Journey-screenshot.jpg

If you liked Journey I would recommend Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. They have a similar minimalist vibe with great visuals and music. They're definitely more action-heavy, though.

But yeah, Journey is a masterpiece.

If you liked Journey I would recommend Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. They have a similar minimalist vibe with great visuals and music. They're definitely more action-heavy, though.

Is it for the PS3?

Old Ink posts in the Video Game thread?!!! :o

Hey I know Tetris!

What about Pong?

I never took drugs. I was an accountant in the 60's and 70's.

One of my friends had nothing but praise for The Journey which was apparently a mezmerising experience. He especially like the way people could interact and help each other but remain completely anonymous yet share this kind of adventure. And the replay value is great too he said.

See I'm hip! I'm cool! I know about games!

Personally I would prefer a more interactive story though with more characters, not just wandering through wilderness, ruins and cities devoid of life.