What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

yeah you can Drax. You have to chose "multi - AV" in the Audio settings. Took me a week to figure it out

PS3>>.HDMI out to TV

PS3>>Optical Out to Amp

Picture will run through HDMI and sound both in the HDMI and Optical Out

Finished Half-Life 2 and Episode 1. My Orange Box marathon continues with Epi 2 and I've even started Portal again, to wrap up some achievements.

Over five years later (HL2 is nearly ten) these games are still head and shoulders above the competition. Just absorbing design genius at every turn; even if the HL2 campaign is a rather bloated 12hr trawl.

Arkham Asylum is excellent. I played it on the PC up until the penultimate boss battle, but quit because with mouse and keyboard, I didn't really have a smooth grasp of the controls. In the long drawn-out fights, mastery of the combos is absolutely essential to dole out damage without taking any yourself; I was a button masher who had just been lucky up until that point. So I had no idea how to beat that sequence and earn the right to face the final boss.

Since then, I have purchased an X360 controller, which is great for side-scrollers like Super Meat Boy and Shank. I just have not returned to Arkham Asylum since making the purchase; I've been busy.

I bought Arkham City during Steam's winter sale, but because of the vast amount of blood, plasma, and baby goats that must be sacrificed in order to make a game work in both Steam and GFWL, I have not gotten it to work yet.

I liked Arkham Asylum. Waiting to get the second game.

I think i beat Joker with the button smasher technique wojo... (took me a hell of a time...didnt want to play that part again ) i dont remember doing any difficult combos :P

Haven't played the Demo, but I'm definitely getting it

Here's my mid term lineup:

Tales of Graces F

The Witcher 2

Dragon's Dogma

FF13-2

Darksiders 2

Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect 3.

Wow. Very, very impressive. It suffers from the same flaws as the first two games, but a lot of tweaks are put into place that make it feel a little smoother and balanced. The scope is huge. Almost everything that was hinted at and promised by the first two games is delivered on. And yeah, the ending is weird, but I think players who feel their choices didn't count weren't paying attention to how much their choices already paid off throughout the course of the game. You can't really expect that there would be dozens of different endings all based completely on who the player saved, killed, united, whatever. It's the buildup to the ending that counts.

I suppose the soundtrack is a little bit of a weak spot. While the first few games also had five composers, lead composer Jack Wall did a great job of managing them and creating unity in sound. They worked as part of one studio. For this game, it seems like Bioware just hired five different composers to fill the different mood needs. Clint Mansell actually contributes very little, though his two compositions at the beginning and end are wonderful. Sam Hulick, the only holdover from Jack Wall's team, brings some needed musical continuity, composing some excellent new material as well. But there's a liberal reuse of tracks from the previous games rather than an intelligent development of their musical material. Example: you'll briefly hear the Sovereign theme from Mass Effect 1, restated exactly, then completely new action material by Cris Velasco and Sascha Dikiciyan. So the Reapers lack a leitmotif. Shepard's own theme is only heard once or twice; there's a great track (composed by Sam Hulick) that gives a really climactic, fully delivered version of Shepard's theme. It's great. There isn't enough of that. The soundtrack is too aimless.

At its core, this game succeeded not because of action and spectacle, but because it, and the whole series, appeals to our curiosity, the fascination humans have always had with the infinite unknown of space. (The voice actor chosen for the very end is a wonderful tribute to this curiosity.) And this simple fact makes Mass Effect so much more important than an action spectacle like Transformers. It helps us have faith that there is more to the universe than us.

Henry Buck! I'm so please you're not dead!

Anyway, I'll never play ME3 now. The first was masterful, but the bloated and unfocused sequel divorced me from the franchise in one fell swoop. And after the farcical response of the devs after the outcry over the ending (by the spoilt brats), I have no interest in finding out "how it all ends". Bioware should have stuck to their guns, and at least then they'd still have my respect as storytellers.

That's one franchise I'd like to never touch. Another is Bioshock, although I may play the next one set in the clouds. The girl with the wide sad eyes and push-up bra might sell it for me.

~*~

In the past two weeks, I have revisited Skyrim for the first time in two months. I'm currently waddling through Ivarstead back up to the haunted barrow, over-encumbered by 1000 pounds. Then I'll start selling stuff. I keep forgetting that I make so many potions that I don't think about, and they are what take up most of my inventory weight, even if I keep everything poisoned and ready to go -- even my pickaxe, which is only a good weapon to use when I'm bored, since weapons don't break in this game, forcing me to use it as a backup.

I played a bit of Tell-Tale's BTTF game. Very charming. I very nearly gave a squeal of joy when Doc Brown used the word "shit" in his "When this baby hits 88 mph" line in the prologue; I was hoping that the game would keep the swearing level intact.

And I played a bit of Mount and Blade, which is a rather primitive but ambitious open-world RPG, in that it features horse combat. I spent about fifteen minutes fine-tuning my character and decided to take on a quartet of bandits before I really got the hang of accurately using my sword while on a horse. Archery aim? Pathetic. So after I killed the first two, I thought I could take on the other two on foot. No dice. Instead of being killed, I was captured and eventually set free. Ugh. I'll start over.

How can you even play Sykrim if your over-encumbered. No wonder you quit. Just by the house in Whiterun and dump all your stuff there.

I used to horde loads of junk on my person, too. Then I realised it's a complete and utter waste of time. Now, all around the world of Skyrim, there are dozens of inventory dumps dotted about the scenery. Weapons, potions, scrolls, you name it - I dump it. I'm not fussy. I don't even pick food up full stop anymore, it's a waste of time and effort.

The best thing you can do in any RPG is be ruthlessly efficient with the loot; meaning you should ignore 99% of it. Of course, the game-time padding that stuff provides suddenly exposes your 100hr experience as actually being half that.

How can you even play Sykrim if your over-encumbered. No wonder you quit. Just by the house in Whiterun and dump all your stuff there.

Did you read the part of my diatribe where I said I'm in Ivarstead, and my house at the first city -- Whiterun, thanks, I'd forgotten the name -- is several miles away?

No, you were too busy being right to notice that.

Look, I paid $40 for the game, I'll play it the way I want.

But you can fast travel anywhere on the map to places you already discovered . Oh right, the game doesn't let you fast travel when your over encumbered (clearly telling you not to play the game that way) . And the game is not even playable when your over-encumbered , since you walk about 10 feet per hour in that state and can't even fight. Your supposed to sell/store/drop everything as soon as you hit your inventory limit

I'm not telling to tell you how to play the game, except your playing it wrong. Just giving you some advice so you can complete it instead of putting it aside after failing to make progress

Yes he was. His way of playing the game is superior and it causes him physical agony that the game is "clearly telling" me that I'm playing it the wrong way.

I have been playing the game as if it were Diablo II and WOW minus the asinine monthly fees -- get everything and a zillion dollars in the pocket to boot. I am not religious, but when I play games like these, I become uncompromisingly...well, a penny pincher, so as to not offend anyone.

I believe what I shall do is delete the game from my computer because king mark has already beaten it, and since I cannot play the game as well as he, I should accept the fact he beat the game as undeniable law, and move on.

Sadly, this means that I shall never get to install and enjoy The Witcher (1) because I will inevitably also play that game "wrong."

I think I shall play Minesweeper next. There's no WAY I can play that "clearly wrong."

No, I'm just a stubborn son of a bitch who's pretty tired of having to defend the way I play a game instead of talking about the game itself.

Well, from what I can gather, you play very little of anything.

I wasn't attacking him.

It's just a bit sad to me to see someone set aside great RPG's 1/4th of the way through because they get boring and the reason why they get boring is pretty obvious.

I never "rush" through a game either. I'm very obsessive about exploring every corner of the map, finding special items, doing every side quests. I even spent about 30 hours in Skyrim messing around with the Smithing/Enchanting tables to craft gear. I make a point of reading every dialogue options and some of the random books you find laying around. But I don't get bogged down in micro details that will make the game unplayable or make me quit

I was just giving you advise, like I did with Koray for Demon's Souls. He did get a lot farther after following my tips too.

I'm not really sure what the price of the game has to do with it. I take as much my time playing games I find for 20$ in the discount bin

But my golden rule is 1 game at a time and never let it down until I beat it . The reason is it's hard to get immersed in the worlds of multiple games at the same time (especially RPG's). And the controls need to be firmly etched into your reflexes, which cannot happen if you jump from one game to another

But my golden rule is 1 game at a time and never let it down until I beat it . The reason is it's hard to get immersed in the worlds of multiple games at the same time (especially RPG's). And the controls need to be firmly etched into your reflexes, which cannot happen if you jump from one game to another

That is my downfall, always has been. I start a game and love it, but then the next one gets released, another instant classic, and I can't help myself - I have to play it - putting the first game on indefinite hold. I'm full of good intentions, I'll go back to it, but sometimes I never do - excellent games get dumped because I'm now onto the third, or forth great release. Part of the problem is this bloody golden era we're in the middle of. It seems like there's at least twenty 9/10 titles on constant release thought the year, every year. But just recently I've come to the conclusion that I must cherry-pick from here onwards. Only play what I have the time to and inclination to finish.

Which incidentally leads me to Rage, a game I put on hold absolutely ages ago (probably for Batman or something). Last night I spent a bit of time getting myself reaccustomed to the controls, the menus and the inventory. It's something I hate doing, but I made myself sit there and try to remember what had happened so far and where I was on the map. It was worth it, because tonight I'm good to go and I'm reminded at how finely tuned the shooting mechanics are in this beautiful game, but then it is id after all. It's Borderlands all over again, but about ten times more incredible to look at.

This time I will finish it.

That was one of the keys to beat a game like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. The controller has to become an extension of your hand and you can't even think about what button your supposed to press later in the game. And there's that split second you have to read the enemies before they hit you you have to be in synch

I usually trip up for the first 5 hours of playing a new game because I accidentally use the previous game button scheme.

I don't have that problem. I lost my left hand in a boating accident, and so I just spliced the wires from my X360 gamepad directly to the exposed nerves in my wrist, and I'm good to go.

Another thing I noticed is that JRPG's generally require way more skill than western RPG's

With western RPG's you get to the point where you can annihilate everything past a certain level and depending how good your gear is .So skill in the later stage of Skyrim does not matter.

JRPG's get more difficult as the game progresses no matter what your level is, and the big bosses always huge challenge. There's also usually a bunch of gauges and various "action points" for special attacks you have to keep a track of on screen. Good gear is difficult to craft as they rely on "rare drops" from specific monsters that only exist on specific parts of the map, and sometimes only at a certain time.

I think Resonance of Fate is a masterpiece, but I don't think most people would bother to get past the learning curve. The combat is extremely complicated and your pretty much on your own learning it. Same with The Last Remnant

Henry Buck! I'm so please you're not dead!

Anyway, I'll never play ME3 now. The first was masterful, but the bloated and unfocused sequel divorced me from the franchise in one fell swoop. And after the farcical response of the devs after the outcry over the ending (by the spoilt brats), I have no interest in finding out "how it all ends". Bioware should have stuck to their guns, and at least then they'd still have my respect as storytellers.

Hey, Quint! I still read this place regularly; didn't realize how seldom I was posting. I loved ME2, so I can't quite speak to your criticisms. I will say that ME3 is much more plot-centric, retaining all the rich characterizations of ME2's loyalty missions while keeping the focus singular (stop the Reapers, obviously). And some of the sci-fi and RPG elements from ME1 return. The gameplay and direction certainly continues the direction established by ME2, however.

Hmm, yeah, it was those bloody loyalty missions which got on my tits! There was too much of an ensemble for my taste, too many backstorys which I wasn't interested in. But being a bit of a completionist, I had to do 'em all. That's why I much preferred the original - it had a smaller cast of wingmen and so I felt the plot was more focused on getting me to the end, instead of padding the story out. Plus I felt I got far more attached to those fewer personalities than I ever did for any of the support in ME2. There was just too many for me to care about.

Hmm, yeah, it was those bloody loyalty missions which got on my tits! There was too much of an ensemble for my taste, too many backstorys which I wasn't interested in. But being a bit of a completionist, I had to do 'em all. That's why I much preferred the original - it had a smaller cast of wingmen and so I felt the plot was more focused on getting me to the end, instead of padding the story out. Plus I felt I got far more attached to those fewer personalities than I ever did for any of the support in ME2. There was just too many for me to care about.

ME2 shipped with too many squadmates, and the additional ones from DLC pushed it way over. I did find them very endearing characters, though. Anyway... ME3 has only six squadmates, plus one from DLC. Everybody from ME2 returns, but mostly only in cameo roles, since any of them could have died in ME2 and couldn't really have been made integral to the plot. The ME3 squadmates are very well developed and never ask you to divert from the main mission. Although I was disappointed that

only one of them is truly new; everybody else is a returner from ME1, and EDI takes on a robot body to join you.

Is Kelly in ME3?

Yeah, she doesn't serve on the Normandy though.

I downloaded BGB, the first GameBoy emulator that I've found that's new enough to support my X360 gamepad. Playing Donkey Kong with the full ability to do all the hand stands and backflips that the actual device can do -- and be able to save progress, which my almost 20 year old cartridge cannot do because its internal battery has died -- is total bliss. So long Skyrim! You've been supplanted by Donkey Kong, and soon, Day Z!

I kid, I kid. I got to the Greybeards and learned some new shouts, and then they gave me a new fetch quest. A fetch quest! How original!

Nearly done with Rage. I still can't get my head around how they made it work on this generation of console hardware. id are indeed the wizards of all things gaming tech.

Yesterday I bought the new Ghost Recon. I have always given the series a wide berth, but they've changed direction a bit with this latest one and made it a faster paced team based shooter, online. It's like Gears of War; without the shotgun spamming, which is right up my street.

Oh and I picked up a preowned Bayonetta for £5.

Nearly done with Rage. I still can't get my head around how they made it work on this generation of console hardware. id are indeed the wizards of all things gaming tech.

What do you mean? It's pretty much diet Fallout/Borderlands running at 60fps.

Well, I'm finished Kindoms of Amalur.

Overall I'd say it was superior to Skyrim in terms of long time play, but combat gets just as easy when you get the best gear later in the game. To make it more of a challenge I'd recommend just using the loot gear and not craft anything