What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

It looks fantastic that one. Whenever I see or hear about these things these days the first person who comes into my head is my 4yr old, who's mad about superheroes and all that stuff. 

Yeah, it's crazy how quickly they want to grasp how these things work though. He's 5 in November, and still very young for 'proper' gaming (non touchscreen), but that hasn't stopped him from being able to fully control a large Xbox 360 pad and operate reverse Y Axis third person titles with remarkable ease. 

The thing with kids today though is, they just expect all games to look visually great - as if that's just how it's always been. 

Not that anyone here cares, but Steam is offering Fallout 1 for free until midnight as part of its twentieth anniversary. That's good if you didn't get it for free from GOG all the times they had it before it was yanked. 

1 hour ago, Woj said:

Not that anyone here cares, but Steam is offering Fallout 1 for free until midnight as part of its twentieth anniversary. That's good if you didn't get it for free from GOG all the times they had it before it was yanked. 

Downloaded, thanks for mentioning it! 

Any of you SNES Classic guys go through Star Fox 2 yet?

I tried Farpoint on a Playstation VR demo. I was actually pretty impressed .It was the first time i tried a First person game on VR  andi It actually works pretty well .They got the basics right and I can see how it could be applied to make more complex games and even RPG's

Farpoint is pretty good, but I’m still having trouble seeing the device being applied to a full AAA experience. Bethesda seems to be going all in, so I’ll be trying Doom VR later this year to see if they figured it out. 

Well, it seems to work. I had no problem walking around and shooting stuff exactly where I aimed. So now they need to improve the graphics and the depth of the games. Fallout 4 should be interesting

for the graphics to match normal releases it may take a few years though

It’s on my backlog.

To specify what I meant in regards to FPSs, is that the fluidity and control isn’t there. Sure I can walk and aim fairly well in Farpoint (I have the gun peripheral, mind you), but it’s like the PSone era compared to a contemporary shooter. Which if fine, Sony even said as much leading up to the release in their marketing. I’m just waiting for that one developer to nail the aesthetic that makes me want to go through the hoops of plugging in the cables and donning the headset. Supermassive has two titles coming out this year that look excellent, and with Bethesda supporting the platform, I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later. 

You should definitely give it a shot! I'm not a Resident Evil fan (loved 4 when it came out), but this latest game made me one! Outside of some wacky ass stuff around the end, it's super solid throughout, with a fun plot, good pace, and it's one of the best looking games I've ever seen. The controls have just this right sense of weight... it's tight and outta sight. And all this is coming from someone whose reaction to the demo was "Oh god...." 

There were a number of moments when I was playing where I could only imagine how intense it would be in VR!

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s on my backlog.

To specify what I meant in regards to FPSs, is that the fluidity and control isn’t there. Sure I can walk and aim fairly well in Farpoint (I have the gun peripheral, mind you), but it’s like the PSone era compared to a contemporary shooter. Which if fine, Sony even said as much leading up to the release in their marketing. I’m just waiting for that one developer to nail the aesthetic that makes me want to go through the hoops of plugging in the cables and donning the headset. Supermassive has two titles coming out this year that look excellent, and with Bethesda supporting the platform, I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later. 

isn't is limited by the PS4 hardware? You have to fill a lot more space with graphics than a TV screen . Maybe those great looking VR games will be on the PS5

but now I think a VR Dark Souls game might be possible

Far Point is pretty  linear and you mostly walk forwards but there should be an easier way to go back than to physically turn around  and  face the direction where you want to walk forward. Maybe a separate camera control would ruin the illusion of the goggles though .Not sure how an Open World would work

Exactly. It’s mostly on rails arcade style games, and those that let you free roam in the headset cause a brain hemorrhage and make me instantly nauseous. I can only play Farpoint for about an hour at a time. 

9 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

You should definitely give it a shot! I'm not a Resident Evil fan (loved 4 when it came out), but this latest game made me one! Outside of some wacky ass stuff around the end, it's super solid throughout, with a fun plot, good pace, and it's one of the best looking games I've ever seen. The controls have just this right sense of weight... it's tight and outta sight. And all this is coming from someone whose reaction to the demo was "Oh god...." 

There were a number of moments when I was playing where I could only imagine how intense it would be in VR!

My main interest in the game is the VR experience, because I've heard it feels revolutionary. So I'll wait to play it, probably years from now when the technology is more affordable. On PC. 

Sitting at 304 power on Destiny 2 (the max is 305) and I think I'll have a break with it now until the expansion comes out in December. I must have put a couple of hundred hours in so far, and I'm feeling jaded. That's when I know I've played way too much Destiny. 

200 hours?! Christ! I think I’m only about 80 in. Power level 301. I have been burning out since I’ve beaten the Raid and am satisfied with most of my gear. I still want to beat a Nightfall on Prestige just to get the platinum, but otherwise I’m in the same boat as you. Other games are coming soon. 

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

200 hours?! Christ! I think I’m only about 80 in. Power level 301. I have been burning out since I’ve beaten the Raid and am satisfied with most of my gear. I still want to beat a Nightfall on Prestige just to get the platinum, but otherwise I’m in the same boat as you. Other games are coming soon. 

Just looked at my stats now, slight exaggeration on my part lol; it says 90hrs and 27mins. That still makes me feel sick though - the game has only been out four weeks :unsure:

I'm yet to beat Callus actually. My 5 regular team mates have been awful to all get together at the same time just recently. We've been at the final boss a couple of times, but it's always so late at that point. We'll get him done of course, but I have to say I think this has been my least enjoyable Destiny raid so far. I don't really like the theme nor the encounters themselves. 

Yeah we've done all that. It's certainly a big place with plenty to explore, but to me it's just spaceship corridors. There's none of the eerie mystery the other raid locations had, no great yawning chasms or deep burrowing rabbit holes for the player to gingerly tread their way down (or up). The Leviathan doesn't feel like an exotic, seldom trodden place to me. It feels like a fairly sprawling but largely safe and straightforward maze with a couple of levers to pull at intervals. When I'm traversing from one place to the next I'm content to just follow the leader, I'd even say those parts are pretty boring. 

The theme of this raid doesn't compare to the Vault of Glass or King's Fall IMO. I'll likely not bother with the upcoming Hard mode. 

I think I just figured out a way of shortening all that rambling right down into a single sentence ;) :

I prefer discovering asymmetrical spaces to symmetrical ones. 

I gave the Battlefront II beta a whirl last night. Frostbite 3 makes it look stunning, but the gameplay loop just isn’t there. They still kept it too “casual” with no ADS. I’m actually glad I don’t like it because that’s one less multiplayer game I have to worry about this year. COD will get my priority. I’ll eventually pick it up for cheap for the campaign. 

Oddly enough, the past couple nights I’ve been playing GTA III. Holds up rather well, and still has that addicting quality. 

yay!  a new Jurassic world park building simulator!

http://www.pcgamer.com/succeed-where-john-hammond-failed-in-jurassic-world-evolution/?utm_content=bufferd0439&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

i hope it is an improvement over Operation genesis. and letd hope for another great orchestral score. damn..i have to buy a new computer...

A long list, but a bunch of great games on it. I’ve heard a couple people throw around the notion that 2017 is the best year in video game history. 

Cuphead got me to boot up my Xbox One for the first time in a long time. Such a brilliant game and it’s executed beautifully. 

I went back to finish Uncharted as I stopped where I got stuck on the APC Escape (it’s brutal on Crushing). I decided to forgo my trophy hunt and took it down to Normal, because I forgot Naughty Dog now lets you use cheats after game completion. Platinum will be mine, but will take a little longer than originally planned.

Winter games are coming. South Park is up next on the slate when it releases next week. 

Having finally beaten the Destiny 2 raid with my group last week, I've taken a break from it till the December expansion and have at last started up Horizon: Zero Dawn. I'm enjoying it, even though it does share/steal(?) a hell of a lot of its systems with Far Cry: Primal. Hopefully there's a far more compelling story here though, so as to get me all the way to the end; as Primal got very repetitive after a while, with little in the way of motivational narrative arc. And Horizon let's the player hide the hud for screenshots! Which means this game is going to take me an annoyingly long time to progress in. 

7q622Hh.jpg

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Having finally beaten the Destiny 2 raid with my group last week, I've taken a break from it till the December expansion and have at last started up Horizon: Zero Dawn. I'm enjoying it, even though it does share/steal(?) a hell of a lot of its systems with Far Cry: Primal. Hopefully there's a far more compelling story here though, so as to get me all the way to the end; as Primal got very repetitive after a while, with little in the way of motivational narrative arc. And Horizon let's the player hide the hud for screenshots! Which means this game is going to take me an annoyingly long time to progress in. 

7q622Hh.jpg

Are you doing straight screenshots or using the photo mode? Use the latter!

The game world and gameplay are fantastic. The story is good too but takes a back seat to the core open world experience. It’s all unraveled through exploration and audio/video diaries, not too many cutscenes. 

It has more RPG leanings than I was expecting, and that's surprisingly a pleasant discovery. The world is stunning, but is it also barren of things to do? I don't seem to have noticed any hidden paths, dungeons or even caves as of yet. I'm only just about to do "the proving" though. 

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

It has more RPG leanings than I was expecting, and that's surprisingly a pleasant discovery. The world is stunning, but is it also barren of things to do? I don't seem to have noticed any hidden paths, dungeons or even caves as of yet. I'm only just about to do "the proving" though. 

The proving is very early on, isn’t it? I don’t think you’ve even reached the open world yet, if I remember correctly. It isn’t super dense but the open world activities are engaging and satisfying. I reached 100% in about 70 hours. There are 4 major underground facilities, I think, that would probably check your box for the type of activities you’re looking for. There are hunting missions, enemy outposts to clear out, and other various collectibles that require mountain scaling. So yes, not far off from an Ubisoft game like Far Cry, but certainly not as overstuffed. Plenty of side quests and giant monsters to take down. My first encounter with the giant bird (can’t remember its name), completely emptied my inventory. The game is set-up in a way where you can easily get in over your head and die, which I like. Fast travel is a consumable item, which forces you to explore on foot. Another nifty design choice. 

I think Guerilla took about 6 or 7 years to develop this one, so I look forward to the sequel where they’re able to refine everything now that all the assets are complete. 

Mass Effect Andromeda. is pretty good. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the scope of it and all the systems you have to learn. It's been patched several times now so I'm sure some of  the reasons it got bad reviews are gone. I don't see anything terrible wrong with the animation that a lot of people were complaining about.

It's hard core in the sense that side quests are hard to find and follow, traveling from one place to the other is complicated, upgrading weapons is complicated, there's no minimap so it's harder to get around and there'a bunch of stuff to read. Maybe some see these things as annoyances .Actually it reminds me of the first game

This game might take a few weeks to complete

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

Nice one, I'm sure it'll really open up once I get the very long introduction out of the way. 

Exactly this was my experience - Took about 6-8 hours in the introductory area, doing the first few side quests, collectible hunts, talking to everyone and just walking around etc. I enjoyed it but found the tutorial a bit long-winded, so I left it there for a few weeks. After I got out into the real outside world, things quickly picked up and I was amazed by the scale of it all. Even then the story takes some time to really get going, but I think this works in its favor - getting immersed in the world at the beginning and getting to know the way of life of the characters does pay off later. Would be interesting to discuss a number of themes it makes you think about, and comparing them to those raised by some other media (mentioning which would be spoilerish, though).

I've just finally gained access to the wilderness beyond the gate today, which was where I saved my game. Hoping to continue on later.

I really like how it slowly eases the player in with what feels like the main game, but it's really just a string of emergent tutorials set within their own very large sandbox, all designed to teach the various systems one after another and all cleverly built around the opening chapter of the story. Design wise, it's pretty deft stuff, brilliantly executed.

I also appreciate the dialogue radial, even though it's purely superficial. But as a way of exploring the fiction and its people through the dialogue, it really helps add heft and meaning to story so far. It provides the vital motivation to keep me playing.

Been playing Mass Effect Andromeda for 2 weeks and it feels like i barely scratched the surface of the game. It's massive, like Dragon Age Inquisition

i really don't get why it got bad reviews

I haven't played it yet, but the consensus is that it was riddled with poor game design and bugs due to a rushed 18-month development cycle. Apparently most of the issues have been patched out at this point, but even BioWare came out early on under anonymous sources and said the development was hell and much of the team hated working on it.

An ex Bioware dev revealed that the main driving force behind its new open world design was microtransactions, and providing as many opportunities for the player to be tempted by them as possible. He claimed that big design push caused all kinds of problems internally with making the missions and story work around this idea to the point that they eventually rebooted their prequel and started from scratch; instead becoming a sequel. But all while repurposing existing areas, quests and systems into the new version. It got real messy. What KM is playing and happily enjoying is a bastard Frankenstein of a game which was cobbled together in haste from various different parts, many of them unfinished.