What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I've been playing COD: Black Ops and man lately it's become seriously fucking bullshit.

To give a few examples...

1: One match I had joined earlier I had to back out of. The reason being is because I was getting shot by a dude with a suppressor on his gun. Normally that's fine and I can get away in time, however, this time when I truly did by getting behind a very thick wall it some how gave him the kill. The replay cam even showed he was still firing through the THICK wall with a suppressor on his gun and it gave him the damn kill.

2: The air knife has gotten ridiculously bad. Sometimes it works for me but 90% of the time it doesn't. Hell I've lost count on how many times I've been air knifed from 5 feet away. Or I'm air knifed and both of our backs are literally facing each other.

3: Bullets not even hitting you and you die. I've lost count on how many times this has happened to me during matches. Even my friends have had this happen a lot. Being sniped is nearly as bad. 90% of the time when I'm sniped and the replay cam shows the bullet not even hitting me and it gives the dude the kill. It has also happened to my friends a lot too.

4: Both people are shooting the same way but you die first. This is another one I've lost count on how many times this has happened to me. I'm shooting exactly the same way at one dude and yet I die first. A LOT of times the kill cam will show i was never firing at all when I damn well know I did! Hell there's also been times I've fired off my rocket launcher and the kill cam doesn't even show it but I know I fired it off in time.

The game USE TO BE fun but lately with so many people having come back to it, it has just gotten ridiculously bad and it no longer fun or playable.

I'm going to give Battlefield 3 more tries again once one of my friends gets it from his storage unit. Until then I'm going back to Modern Warfare 2. Hell at least with that game I had more fun.

God I'll be disappointed if you're right! (doubtful).

One thing's for sure, the price point is going to be much lower. The leap isn't going to be as great as PS2 to PS3 and people won't be willing to pay $600 for that upgrade. IGN reported some leaked documents about a new PS3 model coming out soon. In the last year of its run? Doesn't sound right, unless they fully expect people to stick with this gen and have a more reasonably priced next gen console for those who want that upgrade. I'm sure it'll be backwards compatible this time around. It has to.

Speaking of graphical muscle, my pc arrived yesterday. Hello Battlefield 3 Ultra settings!

I'm still using an Xbox controller, just to irritate pc elitists.

Oh by the way, Origin is as bad as they say it is.

I'm not sure what a PC "elitist" is but I don't think that I am one. Other people need their consoles, that's great, and the fact that everyone's itching to buy a new next-gen console -- except Koray, he needs his money for Blu-Rays and Bob Dylan -- indicates their shortcomings are becoming more apparent.

But I have my own Xbox controller, and it makes games like Batman a cinch to play. And modern sidescrollers like Super Meat Boy need it...keyboard and mouse are good for most shooters, but they are an acquired skill. If you grew up with a gamepad, by all means, do what feels right.

I'm not sure what a PC "elitist" is but I don't think that I am one. Other people need their consoles, that's great, and the fact that everyone's itching to buy a new next-gen console -- except Koray, he needs his money for Blu-Rays and Bob Dylan -- indicates their shortcomings are becoming more apparent.

But I have my own Xbox controller, and it makes games like Batman a cinch to play. And modern sidescrollers like Super Meat Boy need it...keyboard and mouse are good for most shooters, but they are an acquired skill. If you grew up with a gamepad, by all means, do what feels right.

It must be my absolutely lack of practice but playing most games in a controller is an impossible mission for me. And I'm left with my hands very tired. I also tend to enjoy a lot strategy games that don't mesh well with a controller.

arkham city runs perfectly. i dont like batman specially but i love these games.

only complain is that there is not a language option and changing it has to be done manually modifying ini files. this game needs to be played in english not dubbed!

64 player Battlefield 3 on pc is probably the most spectacular thing I've ever seen in a game.

I bet it would be. The last time I played a multiplayer game with more than two other people was the original Counterstrike or Half-Life way back in the day, so I'm missing out.

Believe me, I'll have the PS4 on Day 1.

Never buy a console on launch.

Been doing it since the N64 came out, don't think I'll stop now. I'll probably buy 2, just so I can make an insane profit on the secondary market.

unless the next Elder Scrolls is a launch game...

It won't be. They'll drag Skyrim's DLC's out over two years before they announce a sequel. They're running out of interesting provinces to use, and don't tell me that all of Tamriel is a good idea. Though the Elder Scrolls MMO probably won't be on consoles.

And I read that Dawnguard is smaller than Shivering Isles. Dawnguard does add its own new plane of Oblivion to the game, but it's not as large as Sheogorad's realm that you visit in "Oblivion." Mostly Dawnguard makes you revisit places you've already been if you have been there.

But don't take my word for it. I'm waiting for it to drop in price a bit, and I've bought enough games for now. My stack of unplayed games is almost as big as LeBlanc's.

In FF13-2 you can tame monsters to fight with you and enhance them.That's what I've been doing most of the playtime

I've finished the main story. To be continued.... I guess there's going to be another one

Finally got DayZ working and configured how I like it after about four hours (over three days) of pissing about with settings and message boards. Plus I had to work out how to make a decent profile for my Xbox controller with a piece of home brew software called Xpadder. So yeah, I actually played the game properly, from my sofa with a beer, for a couple of hours last night.

So far I've died over and over again. You start with no weapons and have to make a run for the nearest farm or whatever where you pray there's an abandoned firearm lying about. Once they spot you, Zombies just do not let up. The trick is to keep out of their way, stay low and hidden. It is VERY realistic in that way and brutally unforgiving, but the sneak mechanics are solid and reliable - you believe in it; there is no cheap frustration due to inconsistent AI unfairly spotting your position. Stay out of view and you live. Until I went and accidently opened fire on one with a Winchester shotgun I just found in the barn I was looting, the noise made the whole horde turn up and overwhelm me. Back to the beginning again...

It already feels like Demons Souls, albeit spread out over 225 square miles of realistically modelled and beautifully eerie Russian countryside. It's the apocalypse with no extra lives and the outlook is bleak...

Finally got DayZ working and configured how I like it after about four hours (over three days) of pissing about with settings and message boards. Plus I had to work out how to make a decent profile for my Xbox controller with a piece of home brew software called Xpadder.

The joys of PC gaming

I'm going to tackle Witcher 2 now I think

Witcher 2 was the most overrated game of the year for me. I sold it after finally leaving Flotsam. There was just too many tiresome, eye rolling fetch quests and constant backtracking to the same areas over and over. I was SICK of Flotsam (the first town) by the time I finally sailed from it.

And dat tutorial... fuuuuuck...

GOG had Witcher 2 on sale for $13 for PC (normally $39) a few weeks ago, but I decided to not buy it, on account of not having even installed Witcher 1 yet.

But they have quickly turned into an excellent counterpart to Steam. Some offerings overlap, but most of them are the 10+ year older games you used to find in bargain bins, when stores had bargain bins of PC games. As an anomaly, GOG even has Arma2 on sale!

Actually it's not an instruction manual it a free game guide

I didn't see any in-game tutorial, I had to figure out all the controls myself. Maybe I accidentally skipped it

Ordered Madden NFL 13 and the Ratchet & Clank Collection, will hopefully receive both today.

I ordered Madden last minute in order to get the $15 pre-order bonus. Like COD, the price for these games never goes down until the next installment is out, so pre-ordering usually gives you the best deal. I skipped 12 and sold off 11 after a week. IGN says this is the best one in years, and I've been itching for some Madden even before the review, so I'm looking forward to it.

Witcher 2 is a prime example why consoles need a graphics update. I read the PC version looks fantastic, and even though they did their best for the xbox360 you can easily see the limit of the hardware and it's beginning to annoy me (Blocky textures are starting to take away from the atmosphere)

The PS3s shit split ram architecture (512mb in total) has been its downfall. A huge open world game like Skyrim with lots of alpha is seriously ram heavy, hence the save game problems upon release. But almost every single multiformat title has been inferior to the Xbox version due to the same stupid ram restrictions. A more traditional unified ram setup would've eradicated the issue, stupid Sony.

This last week has been the hardest, most torturous gaming experience in memory. The vertical wall that is the learning curve on Battlefield 3 PC.

Historically I'm a good online fps player, but these Battlefield mouse/keyboard players are in another skill bracket altogether from anything else I've played, including both my time on consoles and my significant experience with pc gaming a few years back.

It is all due to one thing: controller aim-assist. We console players think we're great, but turn it off and its almost invisible subtleties of assisted enemy targeting suddenly become glaringly apparent and painfully oppressive - when faced with time served mouse wielding pros. But that's just the way it is with mouse aiming, right? It's known for its swift and precise aiming vs. a controller? Yes it is - but here's the clincher - some games on pc still incorporate a degree of aim-assist alongside mouse control. Turns out the ones I used to play did, dammit! Battlefield is particularly respected by the hardcore because it does not. And adjusting to that extra level of precision against seasoned pros has been hell.

Ever notice how your console reticule not only snaps to targets but then follows them? Making the kill almost guaranteed; well on pc it's a different story. One has to RAPIDLY aquire the target completely unaided, BEFORE the pro lines you up first and THEN you have to track the mouse in tiny precise movements along the shootists strafing/sprinting path, burst firing for the clincher. Factor into that a ballistics firing model and bullet-drop (Call of Duty uses the far easier Hitscan model) and you have a recipe for HARD. Sounds easy to a controller player who takes aiming for granted; but it's actually the hardest thing I've had to learn in years of gaming. Getting level with these hardcore pc players has been a fucking nightmare, but finally last night the magic started to happen. Took me a week. The K/D whores would see my 0.72 ratio right now, but the climb back has finally started. Honestly, I very nearly gave up. I stuck with it in the hope I'd finally click with the mechanics and the obvious promise that the game would be incredible from then on.

I went back on Xbox Battlefield just to see what it was like and the first thing I realised is this: console fps players are undoubtedly the biggest noobs of all gaming. Playing with aim-assist is like having help from the computer and its comparably really rather lame. I absolutely dominated! Want to get better at console fps? Play the PC version for a few weeks.

Not that I've now turned into a pc snob or anything like that, god no. I'll be rejoining the noob rankings in November come the release of Halo 4. A game not without its own skill demands on the player, being that repeated sustained head shots are are what that franchise is all about. (Head shots which are not assisted.)

But yeah, I urge anyone to at least try the gruelling sandbox of pc Battlefield, because it's probably the greatest competitive shooter ever made.

Nicely said. I absolutely resent the idea of auto-aim and turn it off whenever I play a console game that has been ported to the PC. If a game auto-aims for me as a limitation of the engine, such as when Doom automatically adjusts the Z-axis of the projectile you fire, rather than the reticle itself, well, that's the best that 20-year old 2D/fake-3D engine could handle. I understand that if someone had to scrub the screen with the D-pad or analog stick of a PS3 or X360 controller to put the cursor onto their foe faster than their foe could, the kill rates and fun factor would be greatly diminished. Auto-aim compensates for the limitation of a gamepad, and I get why that's necessary, I really do. I just feel a greater degree of freedom using a mouse with the Y-axis inverted and the sensitivity between 60% and 70%, so I can paint the four corners of the screen by barely moving my wrist. That's a freedom that I have never wished to trade in for a gamepad, even though I don't play hardcore FPS. I haven't gotten around to installing Arma2 for Day-Z, but I do intend to reinstall the Unreal Tournaments before too long, and then decide if a game like Battlefield would be up my alley. The original Team Fortress always cleaned my clock back in the day.

Oh yeah, I've always known about aim assist. You can turn it off, but there's no point cause everyone else uses it. While it does help a little bit with close encounters, there's still some good reflexes and general aim required to be really good.

Aim assist saves me when I don't see the enemy. Cause if there's some dude in a bush, my crosshairs will be tugged slightly while I'm running.

The point & click genre seems to be doing well. There's another Kickstarter for the genre currently running, a new entry in the Broken Sword series. I'd heard of the games before but never played them, but after watching their video and briefly testing the first game from the series, I just backed it.

Also, this looks very promising: A sequel to the classic C64 Mario clone The Great Giana Sisters. They've got Hülsbeck on board to do the music, too. With 8 hours to go, they're slightly beyond their basic goal of $150k right now. I'd love to support them, but at this point, they're promising a PC version only, which I have no use for. An Ouya version would happen if they hit $300k, but that seems unlikely.

Considering that the Humble Bundle traditionally gets by far the largest individual contributions from Linux users, I wonder if limiting your Kickstarter to PC isn't perhaps a poor choice financially. It seems that the Linux/open source community is traditionally more inclined to support these types of things - partly, I suppose, because it's a rare opportunity to get well-financed games for these platforms that are not solely produced to make tons of money while being just the next clone in an already overcrowded genre, but probably also partly because we identify and sympathise with the way these crowd funded projects are implemented. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who decided not to support a project simply because they don't offer anything I can actually use when it's done.

Oh yeah, I've always known about aim assist. You can turn it off, but there's no point cause everyone else uses it. While it does help a little bit with close encounters, there's still some good reflexes and general aim required to be really good.

BF3 actually supports the Xbox controller out of the box and it's configured exactly the same as the Xbox version, feels identical; except there is no aim-assist - rendering it completely useless vs. mouse players. I wish there was an option to enable it if opting to play on controller since it would level the field out a little and I'd definitely use it. I'd love nothing more than to be able to play this game on pc with my Xbox pad.

Oh man, I loooove the bold Halo art style, always have. Still the most visually unique shooter out there, instantly recognisable.

08-08-12_exile_map-02.jpg

08-22-12_exile_map-05.jpg

082712_ctf_exile_04.jpg

Dem graphics...

Somehow 343 Industries seems to have managed to wring even more juice out of the dogged old Xbox 360. Bearing in mind these are aren't static, everything bolted to the floor play spaces, but rather physics heavy emergent sandboxes rich in alpha and partical effects, and it's surely witchcraft! I can't wait to see that map's sky box.

Once you jack up the Fireball spell in Witcher 2 it becomes too easy.

I'm also disappointed that the explorable areas are small in each chapter .You only get a town and a small forest around it

I forgot I bought the Jak And Daxter HD Collection, it arrived today. I popped it in and started up the first game and 4 hours later I was still playing. This is a brilliant platformer that focuses on the puzzles aspect more than the weapons and fighting aspect that Ratchet excels at. The camera's a little stiff, and you can't look up and down, but on the whole it looks good for an 11 year old game.

I played a little bit of the Ratchet Collection I got last week and that hasn't aged as well, but is still fun. I heard the sequels play and look better.

I played a little bit of Madden NFL 13, and regretted buying it. That's 3 years in a row that's been happening. Maybe I picked the wrong game mode or something, but when I started Week 1 against the Steelers, I could only play as offense. I had to sim defense, and special teams turned into cutscenes where I had zero control. What if I want to go for two, EA? Huh?! Running the ball and catching passes gave me no control. Everything was computer run, I was pissed to the max. I messed with the settings and found that auto strafe and spin were enabled, which I promptly turned off (Who wants to actually play the game, right?), but the problems still persisted. I just shut it off. I didn't see the typical Franchise Mode, just a Career Mode in which you can be a coach or a player. I just went with Peyton, just want to play through the season as my Broncos. Maybe that's why all I could do was hand or pass the ball. But what if I pick a coach, do I just stand on the sideline and pick plays and watch them as a cutscene? Let me play football EA!