What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

edited my post. In general I don't like it that much . I didn't bother to download all of it. I prefer more orchestral scores. Nier has a lot of solo guitar tracks  pop sounding tracks

The game I'm playing now, Gravity Rush 2, also has some great tracks

when  I like random tracks in videogames I use video download helper in you tube and convert them to MP3's

That's another thing. I notice nintendo games don't go down in price that much or take ages to do so

Right now I'm kind of frustrated with Gravity Rush 2  It's an almost great game but has serious control and camera  issues that makes some battles no fun at all. The game world is extremely detailed but yet feels "empty" at the same time. I get that feeling when you can't go into buildings or interact with objects and cities are populated with random NPC's you can't talk to . Sort of like Assassin's Creed 

Yes historically Nintendo games don't go down in price as often or as soon as other consoles or PC.  Just the way it is.

I used to love side-scrollers too of course back in the day, but now I only really get into the more cinematic entries in the genre, stuff like Limbo and Inside, I love that sort of thing; I'm no longer really interested in the "purist" Mario-esque jumping mastery types that spawned the genre, although I appreciate that there are still great new games in that style being made and I think there's absolutely a place for them. Actually, I also quite like the metroidvania subgenre too, on occasion. 

Anyway, I've almost finished RIME. It's got lovely presentation, but it's been a bit on the boring side. I've pushed on with it though as I've heard the ending is worth it. 

2OoyVkv.jpg

wQRPIoN.jpg

Back to the topic of retro gameplay elements

The worst offender for me last year was World of Final Fantasy

First off it had random battles with no visible enemies on screen. I don't understand for the life of me why anyone would want that. This was used in older games because the technology  wasn't advanced enough to draw enemies in the environments. I get it that some people what to relive the FF VII days but not by putting systems that were due to technological limitations of the times

The second is that it had beautiful environments, but  it wasn't in third person view and you couldn't control the camera.  I want to be sucked into the world of a videogame and explore properly, look up and down, not watch my character walking around against a static background

for these reasons it was my most disappointing game of the year

14 hours ago, King Mark said:

Back to the topic of retro gameplay elements

The worst offender for me last year was World of Final Fantasy

First off it had random battles with no visible enemies on screen. I don't understand for the life of me why anyone would want that. This was used in older games because the technology  wasn't advanced enough to draw enemies in the environments. I get it that some people what to relive the FF VII days but not by putting systems that were due to technological limitations of the times

The second is that it had beautiful environments, but  it wasn't in third person view and you couldn't control the camera.  I want to be sucked into the world of a videogame and explore properly, look up and down, not watch my character walking around against a static background

for these reasons it was my most disappointing game of the year

So you just hated games until the late PS2-era?

Koray hows your progress in Celeste going?

I figured out what was gating my entry into the post-game-content Chapter so now I'm going back through the old levels hunting for crystal hearts

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

So you just hated games until the late PS2-era?

no,  I liked them back then

I enjoy games in the present but always look forward to the next generation . I'd play a game and think about how it would  look if it was made a few years later

This is why playing something like Final Fantasy X Remastered was a bit tedious for me, even if I enjoyed the story. 15 years ago I might have thought it was brilliant

And why i get upset when a game on the PS4 was developed to work on the PS Vita first  because too many compromises are made (Y's VIII:Lacrimosa of Dana)

And why i'm upset that the current gen (PS4Pro ) is only to accommodate 4K resolution and selling TV's  and not improve the game mechanics themselves (wasted resources) .Some games could still be massively improved in 1080p

And why I'm upset that Nintendo fans have rose colored glasses and ignore the system's  massive shortcomings (because I would have loved to buy a Switch and play Zelda if it had been better).

And I think I'll take a decade for VR to surpass current games (or probably never will)

I'd probably be the most satisfied with a high end gaming PC, but I made a choice to avoid the stress and headache of the technical  issues and expenses related to that. I'm counting on consoles to provide me with a decent gaming experience, but right now Nintendo ,Sony and Microsoft have taken a  step in the wrong direction  for different reasons

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

ignore the system's  massive shortcomings (because I would have loved to buy a Switch and play Zelda if it had been better).

Seemed pretty damn fine to me! Not sure what your frame of reference is here.

I'd probably be the most satisfied with a high end gaming PC, but I made a choice to avoid the stress and headache of the technical  issues and expenses related to that.

I would actually argue that if your wish is to stay in a hyper-immaculate conception of the "cutting edge", in the long term a PC would be easiest for you.

no,  I liked them back then

I enjoy games in the present but always look forward to the next generation . I'd play a game and think about how it would  look if it was made a few years later

This is why playing something like Final Fantasy X Remastered was a bit tedious for me, even if I enjoyed the story. 15 years ago I might have thought it was brilliant

And why i get upset when a game on the PS4 was developed to work on the PS Vita first  because too many compromises are made (Y's VIII:Lacrimosa of Dana)

And why i'm upset that the current gen (PS4Pro ) is only to accommodate 4K resolution and selling TV's  and not improve the game mechanics themselves (wasted resources) .Some games could still be massively improved in 1080p

And why I'm upset that Nintendo fans have rose colored glasses and ignore the system's  massive shortcomings (because I would have loved to buy a Switch and play Zelda if it had been better).

And I think I'll take a decade for VR to surpass current games (or probably never will)

I'd probably be the most satisfied with a high end gaming PC, but I made a choice to avoid the stress and headache of the technical  issues and expenses related to that. I'm counting on consoles to provide me with a decent gaming experience, but right now Nintendo ,Sony and Microsoft have taken a  step in the wrong direction  for different reasons

Well game design hasn’t really changed in the last 10-15 years. I wouldn’t entirely put the blame on the console manufacturers there, as it’s up to the developers to put that effort in. With all that being said, the industry is driven by profit, and right now that’s a mixture of nostalgia and games as services. These “retro” games coming out lately are fantastic because they don’t have these issues you speak of from the 80s and 90s. 

Spyro The Dragon remasters are apparently in development right now and will be announced Q2 for a release later this year. I say bring it on!

Finished Gravity Rush 2 .I was just getting used to the controls

now I'll start Tokyo Xanadu EX+ .another RPG where your time is split between missions and interacting with people at school

• 2 weeks later...

I'm right before the Final boss door in Tokyo Xanadu.

Overall it was a great game but it had the worst title of any RPG's I've ever seen. Might never have played it just by how it was named

I haven't felt like playing a game for more than a few hours in  the past week and the one I started is off to a slow start because I have to read online guides to try to understand the obtuse combat system. It's just one mechanic on top of a 100 other with incomprehensible tutorials and stat menus that make no sense

• 3 weeks later...

Question::

Should I get a 200$ trade-in credit at Ebgames  for my 3 year old PS4 (out of warranty and lots of mileage) to get a PS4 pro even though I only have a 1080p TV?

In addition to that, one of the gaming podcasts I listen to said that he knows developers that are already working on PS5 games, and that he predicts it’ll launch in Holiday 2019. That seems slightly bit too early for me, so my guess is 2020. That’ll give the PS4 a 7-year lifespan, the same as PS3’s 2006-2013. Though I’m sure this time around it will be fully backwards compatible with PS4. 

On 2/13/2018 at 8:45 PM, Koray Savas said:

Spyro The Dragon remasters are apparently in development right now and will be announced Q2 for a release later this year. I say bring it on!

Why won't these performers stay dead!?!?

I've been pretty lax in the game department: I bought Jedi Outcast on Steam earlier in the week...I remember trying to play it on my mom's computer as a kiddo, but I didn't understand system requirements back then...I figured 2018 would be safe to attempt a 2002 game! 

The game's pretty solid! I was really in the mood to play a shooter game that was just a shooter so to speak...with games like Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Bioshock, I feel like there was this push for first-person shooters to be this immersive narrative experience. And of course there was also a push to make shooters "deeper" in its gameplay. It's a natural evolution, and I'm glad it happened, but I just wanted to play a game that goes: "Here's a level. There's dudes that try to shoot you. You shoot them first."

Jedi Oucast is great, but I remember the boss battles being very difficult. The early levels when Kyle is without his Jedi powers are also tough. I get a lot of those levels confused with Star Trek Elite Force, another really good Quake 3 engine game. 

If you like Outcast, you'll also like Jedi Academy, which has a lot more saber combat. I would just walk around and Force push all the Remnants into oblivion. 

So far i'm starting Horizon Zero Dawn EXACTLY lile Far Cry Primal. Killing animals and picking plants to upgrade my storage pouches.

I'm still in the tutorial area but hope the rest of the game world looks a bit more exotic

7 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Why won't these performers stay dead!?!?

I've been pretty lax in the game department: I bought Jedi Outcast on Steam earlier in the week...I remember trying to play it on my mom's computer as a kiddo, but I didn't understand system requirements back then...I figured 2018 would be safe to attempt a 2002 game! 

The game's pretty solid! I was really in the mood to play a shooter game that was just a shooter so to speak...with games like Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Bioshock, I feel like there was this push for first-person shooters to be this immersive narrative experience. And of course there was also a push to make shooters "deeper" in its gameplay. It's a natural evolution, and I'm glad it happened, but I just wanted to play a game that goes: "Here's a level. There's dudes that try to shoot you. You shoot them first."

One word for you, my friend: Doom

not sure why anyone  gets excited over a 2D sidescrolling platformer in  2018

oh wait Spyro is actually 3D third person

We've been over this before.  Please stop belittling others for liking different types of games than you do.  Everyone has different likes and dislikes KM and there is nothing wrong with that.  Your endless posts belittling others for liking something different than you like is incredibly annoying to everyone.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

One word for you, my friend: Doom

That's what I've heard! Right now I don't have any means of playing it. There's a reason I'm playing a game that requires 256 MB of RAM. ;) Have you played the new Wolfentstein games? Those look kinda interesting, too.

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

Everyone has different likes and dislikes KM and there is nothing wrong with that.

Unless it's for games like Spyro that should be left in the 90's! 

Also, I visited my family for Easter and tried Shovel Knight's co-op with my brother. I was surprised by how well it worked! As far as "bang for the buck", Shovel Knight might be the most generous game I know.

On 4/3/2018 at 7:44 PM, Koray Savas said:

No. Just wait for PS5 in 2 years. Unless you plan on buying a 4K TV with HDR in the near future, then it may be worth the investment. 

I got  the PS4pro deal anyways

Actually it was a 230$ trade in credit (200$ non taxable)+ Free physical copy of Far Cry 5 (90$ here) so that's quite a good deal. If I complete the game I can get money back for that too

I get a brand new system that has a warranty, and I read a lot of the newer games perform better on the PS4pro vs the normal PS4 even in 1080p

Plus I won't get a PS5 until one year post launch minimum, so that's a long way from now

Considering I borrowed about 4000$ of games at the library for free in the past 2 years I guess I can splurge a bit on the console

My only mistake is that I could have given them my broken controller instead of my good one since they didn't check anything and I would have gained another 75$

My first impression is that the draw distance is much further away and textures much sharper on the PS4 Pro. I don't see grass filling in a few feet in front of me

Horizon is gorgeous and the best looking game I’ve ever played, even on the launch PS4. I have the Pro and haven’t noticed any differences in terms of performance on my 1080p screen. It’s bigger, louder, and the design isn’t as good, in my opinion. Xbox One X is far superior in those departments. Hopefully Sony learns from them for the PS5, and will actually include a 4K blu-ray player in their 4K console...

@Nick Parker The new Wolfenstein games are superb. I haven’t played The New Colossus yet, but it’s on the backlog. 

i turned on the option "Favor Resolution" which does supersampling on 1080p screens so the textures seemed better than the normal PS4 .I played on the normal PS4 for 10 hours and it didn't look this good. Might be subtle but it's there

Also in the main console you can have supersampling for all games for 1080p screens since update 5.5.0

Not sure what "Boost" does so I left it off for now

The PS4 pro  is very quiet too. I got revision CUH-7115 which is apparently a lot quieter than the the previous ones