What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I'm glad I got the PS4Slim, it's extremely quiet.

Can't wait to start playing Horizon Zero Dawn.  I dunno how you guys find so much time to play so much, I can't seem to find any time anywhere!

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I can hear my fan going even with headphones on. 

I couldn't hear it at all when I was playing yesterday.

That's why I always wait at least 1 year post launch to get a new console model

Actually I forgot to look up the various revision numbers before I bought it yesterday, but luckily I got the latest one

This was a major factor when I bought an xbox360 back then as I got the revision just when they stopped having RROD's

I got my PS4 Pro in September of last year. As far as I know, there has only been a single SKU.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno how you guys find so much time to play so much, I can't seem to find any time anywhere!

10pm-2am!

My Pro is extremely quiet as well. It's the white model. A major boon over the jet engine that was inside my old base PS4. I'd go as far as saying I can't even hear my new machine, unless I purposely "tune in" to it while playing, which I never do.

Is it still under warranty?

Fan noise was a concern of mine too before I upgraded to a Pro, since I'd read reports of them being pretty loud when playing visually intensive titles. The likes of BF1 and Horizon though don't seem to make any difference to the sound of my machine, which perhaps does suggest changes were made to newer hardware.

There were revisions of the Ps4 pro I think .the latest seems to have  better heat dissipation so the fans don;t work as hard

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4/Ps4-Pro-cuh-7100/td-p/25467137

In the last month I played and finished Bloodborne. Currently I'm playing Zombie on PS4, which is a Wii U port, and I'm getting into Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii. 

11 hours ago, Quintus said:

Is it still under warranty?

Fan noise was a concern of mine too before I upgraded to a Pro, since I'd read reports of them being pretty loud when playing visually intensive titles. The likes of BF1 and Horizon though don't seem to make any difference to the sound of my machine, which perhaps does suggest changes were made to newer hardware.

I have the Destiny 2 White Pro bundle. It says CUH-7015B on the box. Is yours different? My brother has also said his Pro runs really loud, and he bought his much more recently than mine. So not sure what model number is the lastest hardware. 

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

In the last month I played and finished Bloodborne. Currently I'm playing Zombie on PS4, which is a Wii U port, and I'm getting into Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii. 

How was Bloodborne? It’s a game that still lingers in my mind as something I’d like to return to. I’m just not good enough unfortunately. Probably something I’d need a coop partner to succeed at.

Lately I’ve been playing a little bit of everything, so not making much progress in anything. Yakuza Kiwami, A Way Out, Burnout Paradise, Far Cry 5, and I still can’t shake COD: WWII. 

Bloodborne is almost identical to  Dark Souls but no magic (or is there I don't remember) and you attack a bit faster

My eyes rolled a bit when i liberated my first bandit camp in Horizon Zero Dawn .even the "cut scene" after you kill the last bandit is identical to Far Cry

It's a nice looking game but I'm starting to wonder why it got game of the year

For the last few Souls  games I put all my initial attribute points into Hit Points (vitality). That helps A LOT to survive being one shot by most monsters and not die between bonfires

Treat it like a racing game. You do lap after lap of the "circuit" (a newly accessible area in Bloodborne) feeling out the layout, learning all the bends and corners, eventually mastering the "track". In time you fly around the environment completely comfortable with your knowledge of every danger. In Bloodborne, you grind it out, cashing in those Blood Souls as you do, levelling up. Make those enemy behaviours second nature in how you deal with and dispatch them.

As you become more experienced in the many perils of every zone, they eventually become rather easy and predictable. You will return to those areas sometimes, much later on, and you will be like Neo against those old enemies.

Not for me. I’ve played the Souls games for hours each and could barely escape their intro areas. 

The grind is too excessive and demand for perfection in each step too great for my enjoyment. Not to mention the (what appears to be intentional) design choices that lead to frustrating deaths.  

Hmm, I think the design and enemy tactics are very fair. I did most of my grind in the very first area of the game, it's nice and big for it. That's where I learned the ropes and became fully accustomed to the game's rhythms. It sets you up well for the road ahead after it. Also, just choose the Hunter's Axe as your starting weapon. I stuck with that one weapon for the entirety of the game.

Death in Bloodborne is always the fault of the player.

I disagree there. An example is that mini boss atop the church tower. Forces you into a small spot so that the possibility of falling is insanely high if you try to dodge or roll. 

Its trial and error by design. An enemy popping up from around a corner to kill you in one hit is cheap to me, but I understand why it’s appealing to others. 

He's only one-hitting you because you are underlevelled and initially unaware of him. A booby trap, so to speak. It is cheap, and that's also by design - but you can be damn well sure he won't catch me out like that a second time!

The dude on the roof with the gattling gun, I knocked him off the roof and fought with him on the lower level area instead, plenty of room. He was pretty tricky, but I'd unlocked the shortcut to his position and so re-attempts against him weren't really all that much of a pain. Also, that whole area is completely optional - you could just come back to him later on and absolutely slaughter him, or just ignore him entirely.

The design of the levels is what makes Bloodborne for me. The way they initially seem quite linear and straightforward, only later to develop into labyrinthine rabbit warrens, geniusly tunnelling back on themselves or twisting off into whole other sections which could easily go unnoticed by the player.

yi38goT.jpg

It's a waking nightmare 😨

Well how was I supposed to know that area was optional? ;)

I hit a few dead ends but I think I finally gave up in an area with giant pigs and wolves, that had some giant spider boss at the end of a cave. 

I would try to farm the pigs for souls to upgrade but got bored of the grind and moved on. There would always be one little misstep or mistake that would lead to instant death. No matter how much I leveled up the gameplay never changed. Doesn’t help that there’s so much input latency designed into these games. 

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

He's only one-hitting you because you are underlevelled and initially unaware of him. A booby trap, so to speak. It is cheap, and that's also by design - but you can be damn well sure he won't catch me out like that a second time!

The dude on the roof with the gattling gun, I knocked him off the roof and fought with him on the lower level area instead, plenty of room. He was pretty tricky, but I'd unlocked the shortcut to his position and so re-attempts against him weren't really all that much of a pain. Also, that whole area is completely optional - you could just come back to him later on and absolutely slaughter him, or just ignore him entirely.

you seem pretty comfortable playing that game, but why haven't you finished any of the Souls games?

It's pretty much the same but I find the environments much more fantastical and awe inspiring.  I was getting tired of the Bloodborne look at the end of the game

I think dark souls 2 is my favorite

21 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I hit a few dead ends but I think I finally gave up in an area with giant pigs and wolves, that had some giant spider boss at the end of a cave.

that one was really hard if I remember

well it was a spider in the middle of a frozen lake or something

Rom the Spider. Like a lot of the bosses, it's more visually intimating than actually hard. That's the big trick of these games I bet. All you have to do with Rom is completely ignore all of the minion spiders surrounding him and keep dashing in for a couple of quick slashes, get out and then rinse and repeat. The smaller spiders can't get you if you spam the roll button as you move between them. I beat Rom without killing any of them. The raining rocks don't hit you if you just keep circling throughout the encounter.

Pity you gave up Koray, you were well on your way by then. Are you using Game mode on your TV btw? I don't find the controls laggy at all. Timing moves is absolutely crucial to success.

KM, I'm definitely going to play Dark Souls 3 later this year after playing this game. Would you say it's about similarly challenging or easier/harder than Bloodborne? From what I've read, DS3 is the easier game.

Oh Koray, the pigs are very easy to take out in this game, once you know how. But they will punish the player hard if they mess up on approach. The wolves you can one-shot later. Both are good for farming cash.

I have a bit of an easier time in Dark souls than Bloodborne because I use ranged magic

So far my biggest negative on Horizon zero dawn is the climbing. There's a lot of tall structures I'd like to climb on to but you can't unless the game specifically wants you to. You can't even jump on small ledges even if they appear in reach which is annoying

I played ELEX a few months ago and you could reach everywhere. You even had a jet pack to fly to high places

Yeah I know what you mean about the jumping/climbing but it didn't bother me personally. It's really no different to traversal in Skyrim or other Bethesda games in that regard, although at least you can mantle a bit in Horizon.

Btw, what do you think of the Demon's Souls remaster? I think it looks crap!

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

Rom the Spider. Like a lot of the bosses, it's more visually intimating than actually hard. That's the big trick of these games I bet. All you have to do with Rom is completely ignore all of the minion spiders surrounding him and keep dashing in for a couple of quick slashes, get out and then rinse and repeat. The smaller spiders can't get you if you spam the roll button as you move between them. I beat Rom without killing any of them. The raining rocks don't hit you if you just keep circling throughout the encounter.

Pity you gave up Koray, you were well on your way by then. Are you using Game mode on your TV btw? I don't find the controls laggy at all. Timing moves is absolutely crucial to success.

KM, I'm definitely going to play Dark Souls 3 later this year after playing this game. Would you say it's about similarly challenging or easier/harder than Bloodborne? From what I've read, DS3 is the easier game.

Oh Koray, the pigs are very easy to take out in this game, once you know how. But they will punish the player hard if they mess up on approach. The wolves you can one-shot later. Both are good for farming cash.

I almost put the game in last night after talking about it here. I want to be good at these games really badly, but I just can't figure them out. The lack of checkpoints makes the satisfaction of progression almost nonexistent, which is crucial for me. It's why I gave up on The Witcher 3 after about 6 hours. Meticulously clearing out a whole area for an hour only to get cheap killed around a corner and resetting all enemies is a killer. After so many times, I grow inpatient and try to "rush" back to the point of death and that's where I'll slip up on a enemy I had mastered earlier. The game demands you to be perfect 100% of the time, at least that's how I view it, and I don't have the patience for that.

you can run apast most enemies in Dark souls if you need to get somewhere fast

I'm  really amazed at my PS4 pro on my 1080p screen. The SSAA makes a huge difference and every thing looks so sharp  and  the lighting effects seem a lot better...

I don't regret my decision to upgrade

Yeah, the supersampling on 1080p screens is a major upgrade for a stunningly clean image in the likes of Horizon and Battlefield 1. The latter is the best I've seen in that regard; one would be hard pressed to spot a jaggie anywhere in that visually spectacular title, due to the downsampled resolution (and excellent AA solution provided by Frostbite).

I did make the jump to 4K HDR recently though.

My TV still  has a really good picture for 1080p and i don't intend to change it anytime soon. It's an LG with IPS panel so the colors are solid and viewing angles great

I've seen Horizon Dawn Zero on my friend's 4K screen and PS4pro and it didn't look that much better than what I'm getting now

Do you see a big difference between PS4pro Supersamplimg /1080p  TV and  PS4 pro 4K / 4K HDR TV ?

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

Do you see a big difference between PS4pro Supersamplimg /1080p  TV and  PS4 pro 4K / 4K HDR TV ?

Given that the PS4 Pro 4K doesn't output true 2160p in most titles but rather a "checkerboard" solution, I see an upgrade to fidelity which is of course far superior to standard 1080p presentations (with their poor FXAA edge treatments); but it is certainly a smaller improvement over games which downsample the image to 1080p from a much higher resolution. Due to the constraints of the Pro's hardware it simply isn't as profound a difference as native 4K images from other sources are. Indeed, watch something like the Grand Tour on Amazon Prime streaming, and the difference between between 1080p and 2160p is spectacular. 

HDR is another matter, and it works very well on PS4. It's difficult to describe it without seeing it well demonstrated for yourself. It's in the luminosity of the colours where one notices the effect at its most striking, particularly in the games I've played recently. Colours pop from the screen, they appear bright and vivid as they would do in life. It's slightly weird at first because it's oddly subtle, yet it's immediately perceptible and are eyes just don't expect that level of colour and brightness to glow and shine from an electrical flat panel like that - we're only used to discerning these "shades" of the colour spectrum in the real world, till now. But if it's late or you have the curtains closed and you suddenly stare at the sun in Horizon: Zero Dawn, it'll blind you. The reflection of it alone on the snowy mountainous peaks is pretty extraordinary. Even the moon, it'll shine down on the jungle foliage in the deep night and the plant life will glisten green as it sways in the breeze, it's really something. Some games implement it better than others, I've noticed.

I’ve just got my 4K HDR yesterday so I’ve only experienced COD and Burnout Paradise on it so far. The HDR in COD is just what you described. The way the light shimmers off a wet patch of road or the like is really impressive. It’s in the smaller details. 

Me too, it wasn't on my radar actually, but the resounding praise it's received hasn't gone by unnoticed. I'll wait though for a couple of patches first, I hear it has some performance issues at the moment.

Another thing about Horizon Zero Dawn.

So far it has almost no inside locations like buildings,castles, dungeons and caves.. well except that Cauldron thing

Just did the Redmaw sidequest ...pretty cool

urgh, just had my first crash on my PS4pro when trying to manually save a game in Horizon Zero Dawn , and it was a hard crash with the PS4 shutting down then it had to rebuild the database.

I hope it's not  a sign I got a bad unit. I've had crashes to menu on my old PS4 but never shutting down the power

I have a month to trade it at EB games if it's a defective unit but I really hope not

anyone ever experience this?

the game didn't freeze , the console crashed and shut down by itself when I tried to save a game (when it goes in to the PS4 save menu). It said it was a system error not the application. And it never happened that way in 3 years with my old PS4 or even my PS3  so it's a big red flag

Anyways the people at EBgames said it wasn't a common occurrence and they gave me another console night away. I'd rather not wait the 30 days return/exchange period is over . Now It just needs  go through 30 days of gaming without something weird occurring that makes me think the console is broken.

Except I left my game disk in the drive of the defective one ...I have to call them first thing in the morning and hope I can get it back:(

If it happened later (after the 30 days exchange period ) then I probably would have reacted differently and just hope for the best .But right now why take the risk

My first PS4 crashed a lot (crash to menu and ruined my Witcher 3 experience))  until I sent it to Sony  and they replaced the hard drive. And then I had 2 1/2 years of no problems whatsoever

Never had a  weird  issue with my PS3 and xbox 360

Damn I really wanted to play Horizon tonight

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

You’re overreacting. Gaming consoles are just computers. You can’t expect it to never shut down due to some type of  system error. 

Typical Koray! 

Why not just buy 2 identical consoles?

whew got my game back just as they were about to ship out their returns

I can't find many answers about the system's new  supersampling mode

Should I leave it on all the time?

When a game already have the option in the  in- game setting does it override it or is it double enabled?

Is it better than the in-game setting?

Can I use "favor performance" in the game settings and Supersampling system wise and get both benefits?

That's what I did for pretty much the entirety of the game. Aside from the odd fleeting diversion mission here and there, I pretty much concentrated solely on the main thread because it was awesome. I ignored probably 80% of the sidequests. Most of them were standard RPG padding anyway. There's more fun to be had just exploring the world and enjoying its emergent gameplay.