What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

" Controller day" at Ebgames

Got 45$ for an old PS4 controller and 25$ for a PS3 one

Both were broken but they accepted them anyways. So don't throw your old crap away

That will pay for my PS+ this year

Finished Horizon Zero Dawn. Great game .Epic story .At first I thought it was too similar to Far Cry Primal but as the game progresses it's really not the same.

I forgot to buy wood to make arrows before the final battle, so I had to make do with all those other weapons I never used in the game.

Oh and doing the sidequests was important, as you get a scene with the people that you helped and they help you during the final battle

And I'm happy at the performance of the PS4pro during the final battle. I'm sure the regular PS4 would have struggled with all that shit going on.

Deciding if I do The Frozen Wilds DLC

I might do Assassin's Creed Origin next.

I had those people show up as they were the only sidequests worth doing. The final boss fight was underwhelming I thought, but it was still an epic game overall.

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

Finished Horizon Zero Dawn. Great game .Epic story .At first I thought it was too similar to Far Cry Primal but as the game progresses it's really not the same.

I forgot to buy wood to make arrows before the final battle, so I had to make do with all those other weapons I never used in the game.

Oh and doing the sidequests was important, as you get a scene with the people that you helped and they help you during the final battle

And I'm happy at the performance of the PS4pro during the final battle. I'm sure the regular PS4 would have struggled with all that shit going on.

Deciding if I do The Frozen Wilds DLC

I might do Assassin's Creed Origin next.

Again, the game ran perfectly fine on the launch PS4. 

Started Assassin's Creed Origin but it's gameplay  is too close to Horizon  I just played

so I'll go for 2 JRPG's

Akiba's Beat and Hack G.U.Last Recode, which is somekind of third person action RPG released for the PS2 but remastered for PS4

I'm lining up Origins to be played sometime over summer but it's a big game so I'll have to prep for it by playing a bunch of other short titles first. I'm still considering continuing on my NG+ on Bloodborne, but those Shadows of Yharnam are a total pain in the ass the second time.

I got 2 games on PSN on sale (both 70%off  at 11.99$ and 20$) . I was eying them for a a long time

One is Zelda like game and the other one from the Neptunia series I play

I guess PS+ is worth it for the extra discounts

I'm not too big on horror games, but I'm really thinking about picking Alien: Isolation up in the Humble Alien Day sale, from what I've seen, the atmosphere is great.

Just ordered Nier Automata for £10 via a crafty eBay workaround which someone posted on my favourite bargain hunting site. It's supposed to be £25, but not in Italy it isn't...

Anyway, I keep hearing how this was game of the year for a lot of people, and that it is said to have an absolutely fabulous musical score. I'll let you know.

South/Middle America! Love the previous two, I'm sure to be getting this one as well eventually.

Got Alien: Isolation + Season Pass yesterday in that sale.

Also getting really intrigued by Frostpunk.

My mobile phone was messing up and not removing the quote box, after I quoted you and asked you if you were picking up a game, that I thought was going be released,  but was actually a fanmade trailer.

12 hours ago, Quintus said:

Just ordered Nier Automata for £10 via a crafty eBay workaround which someone posted on my favourite bargain hunting site. It's supposed to be £25, but not in Italy it isn't...

Anyway, I keep hearing how this was game of the year for a lot of people, and that it is said to have an absolutely fabulous musical score. I'll let you know.

Apparently you have to beat the game 3-4 times to get the real ending. Not a fan of that type of thing. 

Yeah... I'm not bothered about that. I'll probably be one and done with it. I didn't get the good ending in Bloodborne either, which sucked. But the game was awesome.

Finished Kingdom Come: Deliverance after 92 hours in just under 2 months. The ending was pretty disappointing (though we know there will be expansions, DLCs and I think a sequel, too).

Overall, it's a fantastic achievement in RPGs and historical accuracy, especially for the first game of a small, independent Czech studio, I had immense fun once I got past some initial clunkiness and a few bugs. 

I only have a laptop, so there's the answer for all my future posts. Currently Switch in the only console I'm seriously interested in owning one day.

There are no big story-affecting choises to speak of in this, the ending's disappointing because it's the end of act 2 of the planned 3, so you basically ride off into the sunset to the next fiefdom without any real resolution. The main character and a friend have nice arcs that basically complete there and open up a lot of new and interesting possibilities for act 3, but all the villains are still at large and the main McGuffin object is pulled from under your nose in the last quest before the epilogue. 

This started as a Kickstarter project 4 years ago and the initial concept after the devs realised the scale of it all was to have a trilogy of games, being 3 acts of one story. A year or two ago there was talk of all 3 in one game, but this is how it ended up. Guess they wanted to finally put something out and complete it later in some form.

What I liked most was the immersive, realistic world and the combat. I've read many people who practice actual medieval swordfighting say this is the most accurate adaptation of it we've ever gotten in a game. You can attack and defend from 5 slash and 1 stab position, parry, counterattack, do combos... But you will get your ass kicked. Not only do you have to get into the rythm of the controls, but your character has to learn it, too. It's an unsaid requirement to practice with Bernard a lot to have any chance in fights. There's no point in learning fancy combos if the enemy can exploit an opening after the first move. And even when you're ace at fighting, attacking more than 3 people at once will probably end badly. Oh, and that wonderful bow&arrow system with no crosshair, and until you reach lvl 5 in it, the game even tells you your character doesn't even know how to hold it properly. Even after, pulling it back drains stamina and the bow sways a bit back and forth, hunting quick hares takes some getting used to.

I started playing Stardew Valley.  Very up my alley, just been waiting on the right time where I didn't really have anything else I wanted to play so I could just sink into it.

Linear it is not. They went open world RPG, though it is structured into sections, like the new Tomb Raider games. No loading screens or cuts, one camera for all combat and cut scenes from the main menu to the credits. 

Not true open world but they went branching with it did they? Maybe I'll get it later on then. But you're still comparing a 100s of mil production with a little indie game. Not very cool Koray.

There’s only so much time in the world to play games! I would have tried that game but I’ve read that the glitches and bugs are rampant, making it nearly unplayable.  

God Of War is insanely impressive though, regardless of budget. Every gamer should play it if they can. I’m not in the same boat as much of the Games media is with all the masterpiece hype, but it easily fits into my #2 spot of best game this generation, behind Horizon.

From what I've seen of both Horizon and God of War (mind you, that's not much more than a half-hour youtube video each and I've never played a second of them myself, so it's just limited first impressions), they aren't THAT unique or impressive in their gameplay, we've seen it a hundred times. That's my problem with most big PS4 exclusives that are supposed to be the major pull: "ooh, you haven't played Uncharted 4, if you're a true gamer, you must experience it!" - I've played the last two Tomb Raider games, the only difference is the pretty pictures behind the mechanics are a bit different. Again, mind you, that's just a few gameplay videos that haven't impressed me in the slightest, I never held a PS4 controller in my life.

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

There’s only so much time in the world to play games! I would have tried that game but I’ve read that the glitches and bugs are rampant, making it nearly unplayable.  

This is an exaggeration, plenty of people have played through it and thoroughly enjoyed the game. But there are bugs, like there are in every single Besthesda RPG at launch (and long after). Which is why I have absolutely no intention of even considering Kingdom Come for another year at least. 

My policy these days for many releases is to wait for patches, wait for a few months till the game is in a more stable and tighter state.

God of War is included in this; I would prefer to see those performance hiccups ironed out before I eventually pick it up. Another benefit of this is I'll purchase it for around fifteen pound less than its current RRP; that's the PC gamer in me.

Started Nier Automata last night. It has a rather harsh (not in difficulty) expectation of the player in its opening mission - death at any point abruptly sends the player all the way back to the title screen without a save point. So the first level effectively took me two tense hours to break through it, boss fight included, save point secured. After that it allows the player to use save stations. It felt annoyingly severe during what was effectively the game's tutorial, but I can also see why it's a choice they made: filter out the weaker players, brought up on a diet of hand-holding "press this, shoot that" casual waypoint gaming. It's setting the tone. Fine by me.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

From what I've seen of both Horizon and God of War (mind you, that's not much more than a half-hour youtube video each and I've never played a second of them myself, so it's just limited first impressions), they aren't THAT unique or impressive in their gameplay, we've seen it a hundred times. That's my problem with most big PS4 exclusives that are supposed to be the major pull: "ooh, you haven't played Uncharted 4, if you're a true gamer, you must experience it!" - I've played the last two Tomb Raider games, the only difference is the pretty pictures behind the mechanics are a bit different. Again, mind you, that's just a few gameplay videos that haven't impressed me in the slightest, I never held a PS4 controller in my life.

Sorry, but you don’t know what you’re talking about!

Dunno, but the rapturous reception from the players seems to suggest there's something quite good about it, plus there's the legacy of beloved older games in the series, so there's that too. Just a hunch I suppose.

Oh, another huge enjoyment in Kingdom Come was how one of the main enemy factions is the Hungarian king Sigismund's Cumans. And they speak Hungarian. What's a terrifying, alien language the enemies scream at you for 99% of the world caused me to fall out of my chair laughing in my first encounter with them. After all, it's not everyday a video game character asks me why I decided to crawl out from under my mother's skirt, then proceeds to call me

Spoiler

a cumbucket and a diarrhoea-cart

in my native language in the middle of combat.

It's on the same level as my first watch of Dracula and hearing perfect Hungarian for the first 10 minutes, then realising the famous, much-imitated accent of Lugosi is an accent of a person who barely heard English speech in his life, read about pronounciation in a book, and his lines are probably spoonfed to him from just outside the frame. It took me half an hour until I could try taking the movie seriously.

it's true Horizon Zero Dawn started a bit oh hum for me, like I was playing anotther Far Cry...but it evolves into much more.

I also bought the original Gravity Rush on PSN in addition to Cyberdimension Neptunia and Shiness. I really want to know the back story from the second game

These  games were the first games I ever bought digitally off PSN. I only bought those because I couldn't get them  elsewhere and I was lucky to get these deep discounts in the past 2 weeks just as I sought them out

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

Started Nier Automata last night. It has a rather harsh (not in difficulty) expectation of the player in its opening mission - death at any point abruptly sends the player all the way back to the title screen without a save point

:lol: i know! I died just before I could save my game because I couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to do to kill the boss . I really made more of an effort afterwards

Don't skip any sidequests, it has some of the most memorable video game moments in a long time

it was great. One of these games where I looked up all the "lore" on the internet.

my only low point is the 2D sections in both games because they pull me out of the game world

oh and the fishing mini game was a lot harder in the forst one

8 hours ago, Holko said:

So what IS so insanely wonderful about God of War?

Well as I said, I don’t hail it as a masterpiece like most of what you’ll find online. At least not yet, I’m taking my time with it and enjoying everything as I go. But my comment was squared directly at your surface level judgements, which you admitted were just that.

God Of War is special in that it takes a beloved yet stale IP and is able to completely inject new life into it. Fidelity, presentation, extremely satisfying combat mechanics, successful integration of open world and RPG mechanics, voice acting, writing, etc. It’s impressive to me that it succeeds in nearly all it sets out to achieve, while most games will only excel at 2-3 of those things. 

8 hours ago, King Mark said:

good because I didn't like the previous GOW

Wasn't it just the fixed camera you weren't keen on? That aspect never bothered me personally, since it was always so cinematically framed during the boss encounters.