What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I cannot stop playing FTL. It's hard as hell. I made it to Sector 8 and the boss ship only once, in either the original Kestrel or the Engi crusier, but it easily owned me, as the difficulty of the game ramps up considerably. And that was before I learned that you had to defeat it three times. So now I'm spending all my effort on getting the achievements, because they unlock new ship variants, and those superior ship models have what it takes to beat the game.

While it's definitely a throwback to mid 90s graphics, sound effects, and music, the gameplay is quite deep. It's become my new casual game de jour. For $10, I urge anyone who has dreamed of playing as Mal Reynolds, Han Solo, Jim Kirk, or even Hal 9000 -- vent all your atmosphere and watch your crew die...better than being boarded -- to pick it up.

I found a used copy of Trinity Universe for PS3.

Been looking for that game for 2 years. It's a super rare JRPG. I wanted it because I played some other games by NIS America. I couldn't believe when I saw it just sitting on the shelf of my regular EBGames store

Dishonored is very good, and really rather pretty. I thought I'd seen it all on the consoles, but the artwork in this game is quite breathtaking. Halo 4 will have its work cut out if its going to deliver a better looking sandbox than Dishonored's.

I'm currently about level 17 in Borderlands 2. It's superior to the first game in every possible way. Missions are more tightly designed and direct, the environments more varied, there's huge indoor sections to compliment the epic outdoor locales, visuals are phenomenal - some of the very best of this generation, it's frequently laugh out loud witty, looting is quicker and easier - comparing stats is streamlined and takes seconds, as does navigating and selecting inventory; and the guns themselves are more diverse - REALLY good guns are more rare this time, making them more special and satisfying when found. Now there's a huge abundance of mediocre but passable weaponry and this means that finding that one particular assault rifle you're after seems to take much longer than it did in the first game. Which was a good design decision, IMO. Now, rare items feel REALLY rare. Brilliant stuff!

I'm currently about level 17 in Borderlands 2. It's superior to the first game in every possible way. Missions are more tightly designed and direct, the environments more varied, there's huge indoor sections to compliment the epic outdoor locales, visuals are phenomenal - some of the very best of this generation, it's frequently laugh out loud witty, looting is quicker and easier - comparing stats is streamlined and takes seconds, as does navigating and selecting inventory; and the guns themselves are more diverse - REALLY good guns are more rare this time, making them more special and satisfying when found. Now there's a huge abundance of mediocre but passable weaponry and this means that finding that one particular assault rifle you're after seems to take much longer than it did in the first game. Which was a good design decision, IMO. Now, rare items feel REALLY rare. Brilliant stuff!

I hated the first one but at $15 for the game and all DLC I guess I got my money's worth at about 4 hours clocked in.

I'll wait for this one to drop too, unless Fallout 4 comes out before then, or if Bethesda finally figures out how to actually support a game on the PS3 and gives us Skyrim DLC.

I just finished Episode 4 of Telltale's The Walking Dead. The game has been absolutely phenomenal, with some of the best writing I've ever seen. It's rare that I get emotionally invested in a game and I have with this.

I need to get around to finishing that off. I did the first and bought the second but have yet to play it. Enjoyed it a lot actually.

Dishonored is possibly the most long-winded game I've ever played, but in an absorbing time-grinds-to-a-halt way. There's so much to explore and discover, so many emergent details which could easily be missed completely, that progress through a single mission can take 4-5 hours.

One thing I'll say is this: don't be put off trying experimentation because of other, similar yet superficial games; trust Dishonored, trust the game. If you see something, or have an unusual idea for tackling an issue: trust the systems. 9 times out of 10 the game will support your actions.

That's because you have a very specific view of how a RPG should be (isometric view, turn based.). There's plenty of RPG's that were great in the past 5 years.

I play all types of PRG's as long as it fits the genre .If it was on consoles I'd play this, but it looks like some online PC only download

I've never said RPGs should be isometric (though after seeing the concept art for this, it seems the right choice), my usual complaints are about first character perspective RPGs because they usually result in non-party action games. I've also never said they should be turn based; my ideal RPG is real time like C&C or AOE. Again, it's action fights I disagree with.

This will support Windows, OSX and Linux. I suppose adding console support would not have been feasible. Licensing fees can be a critical factor, and this probably requires a mouse, which few console gamers seem to have (which seems to have ruined the PS3 version of Dragon Age, which in turn is why I've never played it). I suppose they could have supported Android and with that the OUYA, both would allow mouse and touch input, but it's probably not worth the effort for them.

Been switching between Jak II and Max Payne 3.

The former has been testing my patience with its insane platforming. In the first game it was manageable because of the melee combat, but with guns and a shit ton more enemies, and some slightly awkward controls, I've been dying an inordinate amount of times.

The latter is pretty good. I'm glad Rockstar decided to bring it onto this gen, it was too good to leave behind, especially after the lackluster Fall Of Max Payne. It's just like I remembered it, gloomy narration, bullet time and a shit load of bullets and dead guys. I could do without the stereotypical Brazilian guy that says "bro" in every sentence, but overall I'm really enjoying it thus far. Apart from Max's character and the Hoboken flashback, the noir of it was pretty much replaced by Tony Scott's Man On Fire. Seriously, it's a game version of the movie, just replace Denzel with Max.

See if you're still enjoying it by the time you've reached the end. I found it seriously repetitive after a while, yet I still had five hours left to go. Also, I switched free aim on because the seriously sticky aim got on my nerves. I rated it 6/10.

I'm playing on Hard with free-aim. That's probably why it got boring for you. It's providing a good challenge for me. I read that it was roughly 10 hours long, which I have no problem with. I prefer longer single-player campaigns, especially if there's no multiplayer counterpart, or if that wasn't developed well.

I really have no intention of playing Max Payne online, so I should be fine. Call Of Duty's 6 hour campaigns are a joke.

Yeah, hard is my default setting in all games. After starting the game and hating aim-assist I started again from the beginning in order to secure both cheevos for free aim and difficulty. I still thought it was tedious as hell half way through and I was glad to see the back of it once I finally grinded through the finale.

What is grinding?

Rubbing your body close against another in a "I want to get it done" kind of manner.

But in video game speak, which Lee meant and you abhor, it's the term for repetitive actions done over and over again in order to gain experience or money and level up.

Been switching between Jak II and Max Payne 3.

The former has been testing my patience with its insane platforming. In the first game it was manageable because of the melee combat, but with guns and a shit ton more enemies, and some slightly awkward controls, I've been dying an inordinate amount of times.

That's why I loved Jak II so much: there was a real challenge, you had to do lot of things at the same time in many missions, with monsters coming from every side of the screen. When you managed to finish one of those missions, you really felt like you were badass! Damn, that game really was a videogasm.

Yeah I still love it, but that hover board and that mission when you're in the moving rail gun were killing me. The inverse aiming controls didn't help, and going into the settings didn't change it.

In what game? I normally have it enabled in every fps or third person shooter I play, but in Max Payne 3 it was just horribly overwrought and overdone - to the point that it felt like the game would wrestle control away from me to ensure I got the kill; when sometimes I was just trying to line up a headshot. Terrible game, the more I think about it.

Then again, Rockstar are famously shite when it comes to player controls, so it makes perfect sense really, even if it was in a fucking Max Payne game (which ought to have immaculately tight ones).

Then again, Rockstar are famously shite when it comes to player controls, so it makes perfect sense really, even if it was in a fucking Max Payne game (which ought to have immaculately tight ones).

How so? Red Dead and GTA all have adequate controls.

I used adequate because I've never heard anyone complain about them, and wasn't sure what you disliked. I personally never had problems, which I guess makes them good?

Max Payne 3 can be a little stiff when walking around searching for stuff, since its meant to be a run and gun.

Oh I share my annoyance with many gamers, I assure you of that. As I say, I've discussed the issue (at length) many times with others and the general feeling is that Rockstar should just outsource their games controls and controller latency code to another dev.

Playing Batman Arkham City, or more recently Sleeping Dogs, demonstrates perfectly how open-world games should control and in turn highlights just how awful Rockstar's own games handle. Precise, responsive and natural is the sweet spot. If you're saying you don't mind horrendous input lag, snap lock-on targeting of enemies disguising an inherent inability to write decent manual aiming code (as found in pretty much every other title) and consistently one of the worst cover systems in games, then more power to you. I'm just a bit more fussy.

Red Dead Redemption is one of the greatest games I've ever played, in spite of the bloomin' terrible controls. As much as I loved that game I'd never overlook what is for me such a fundamental aspect - as the reviews (of all Rockstar games, the developer darling) so readily do.