What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Probably my favorite developer after Naughty Dog ;)

Really? Huh, interesting. What about them put them so high on your list?

On a related subject, what are JWFan's gamers' most contrarian opinions? Maybe there's a beloved game or series that you think isn't worth buying from a flea market, or a game considered trash by many is one you hold dear to your heart and hands. 

I couldn't play through the first Bioshock, as much as it's praised to the heavens. I was just immensely bored.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

I couldn't play through the first Bioshock, as much as it's praised to the heavens. I was just immensely bored.

I can see that, especially with the particular kind of dreary atmosphere and pacing it has. I thought it was awesome when I played it ten years ago, but there's something about it now that really turns me off. I still think it's a really good game, probably  great, though. Even as a teenager, I thought its philosophical side was overrated.

I could have loved the atmosphere and story, but the gameplay was so drab in the first 2-3 hours (this is locked, go in there, another few crazies jump you, shoot them, collect this, go all the way back, proceed) that I never could give it a proper chance. Infinite I somehow love.

I couldn't stand playing The Last of Us?  Major disappointment for me after the universal praise it got.

I also don't think any game ever has had good cut scenes.  They are a necessary evil mostly, and I dislike games that lean heavily on them to tell their story.  Even the games people hold up as having the best, most realistic animations are deep, deep in the uncanny valley still for me.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I couldn't stand playing The Last of Us?  Major disappointment for me after the universal praise it got.

I also don't think any game ever has had good cut scenes.  They are a necessary evil mostly, and I dislike games that lean heavily on them to tell their story.  Even the games people hold up as having the best, most realistic animations are deep, deep in the uncanny valley still for me.

The Last of Us was a very good movie, why are you disappointed with it?

Is the cutscene thing more an issue of storytelling for you, or are you more bothered by the technical aspects of them?

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Is the cutscene thing more an issue of storytelling for you, or are you more bothered by the technical aspects of them?

Not sure, I just know I always find them awkward, unsatisfying ways to tell stories.  Like that Last of Us dance scene the other night, I just can't help thinking "That would've been better with live-action actors."  Nothing against anyone who loves those games.  I've never been a guy who plays any game for its story.  Whether I love Nintendo games because they don't rely on story, or I've been conditioned to feel this way from a lifetime of playing Nintendo games, I'm not sure.

Last of Us was interesting until I had to do stuff with guns, which was never not frustrating for me (control and mechanics wise I mean).

I didn't want to imply that I think videogames would be better with all FMV story scenes!

Well, I'd be interested in seeing a game try to do it well.  I feel like it would be prohibitively expensive.  Like making a full budget movie in addition to the full budget video game.

Isn't Square Enix making a new FMV game now?

Man do I miss the live-action FMV days. (Following the thread,  or contrarian opinion? You decide.) Tim Follin, an absolutely excellent composer who sadly has not gotten much work after the 90s, actually Kickstarted and released an FMV detective game a few years ago. The premise was, "Hey guys, remember FMV games? What if they were good?"

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I can recommend Wing Commander III with Mark Hamill and John Rhys-Davies and Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight with...

hqdefault.jpg

this lovely gang. ;)

I always thought Jerec was Kurtwood Smith. 

"MORGAN KATARN! This dead man holds the key to the Valley's location..." 

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Really? Huh, interesting. What about them put them so high on your list?

On a related subject, what are JWFan's gamers' most contrarian opinions? Maybe there's a beloved game or series that you think isn't worth buying from a flea market, or a game considered trash by many is one you hold dear to your heart and hands. 

Fallout 3 was my first dive. My conception of RPGs growing up were what I now know to be JRPGs. So when my brother messaged me one day from college and said I need to buy this RPG game I was skeptical. It was about a year after its release and it was discounted, so his high praise convinced me into a blind buy. What unfolded before me was pure elation in player choice, freedom, and charm. It also heavily helped that it was developed and set in my backyard, having lived in Bethesda my whole life. It was a playground of destruction for me and all the bugs and jank that came with it just added to the humor and charm. Then I learned of Oblivion, bought that, and fell down another rabbit hole. The rest is history! Have loved all their games ever since. 

As for a contrarian opinion: I couldn’t get more than 2 hours into Breath Of The Wild and don’t understand the hype. 

I'm serious though, the opening area is kind of like it's own little mini-game, but once you get out in the world and meet more characters and learn more history of the world and go on bigger and grander adventures is where it really shines

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Without 2 hours of cut scenes he didn't know how to start playing

Don't you experience not a dissimilar problem whenever any semblance of input dexterity is required?

I watch my little 5 year old boy and his young step sisters running around shooting targets and building sophisticated defensive walkways on the fly in Fortnight, so this makes me laugh.

34 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Don't you experience not a dissimilar problem whenever any semblance of input dexterity is required?

I watch my little 5 year old boy and his young step sisters running around shooting targets and building sophisticated defensive walkways on the fly in Fortnight, so this makes me laugh.

I suck at all games except Mario! 

I'm sure you don't. Maybe you just need to be a little more patient and determined, when you try games you quite fancy but aren't used to them. It's like riding a bike.

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

All my students would talk about is Fortnite! I would say I'm surprised that elementary school kids gravitate so strongly to it, but then I remember Halo and Call of Duty growing up.

I'm amazed by the phenomenon of that game, but I couldn't get into it. The deep building mechanics spin on a Battle Royale scenario (inspired violent BR movies) is partly what makes Fortnight stand out for its fans, but it's that aspect which puts me right off. 

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'm amazed by the phenomenon of that game, but I couldn't get into it. The deep building mechanics spin on a Battle Royale scenario (inspired violent BR movies) is partly what makes Fortnight stand out for its fans, but it's that aspect which puts me right off. 

Would you prefer more of a straight-up shooter? I'm not very familiar with the gameplay. I guess the game's 'tude is really appealing, too, 'cause so many of my students imitate some of the moves from it.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Because spelling is hard and for old people.

Mortal Kombat is popular for a reason! b kool gramps!

Super pumped for Halo Infinite. Searching the boards for some talk about Kazuma Jinnouchi and couldn't find much. I thought he really nailed Halo 5: Guardians. Its become one of my favorites since its release. Looking forward to seeing what he does if he is on board for this upcoming one. If you guys haven't listened to it yet, the Osiris Suite is a good place to start. Or hit Worldquake and Advent (they go good as a pair).

The announcement trailer music for Halo Infinite wasn't very cool, so I rescored it to add some wonder to it. Brought in some Halo thematic material (Master Chief reveal) and narrative hints with Cortana at the close (post-Halo 5) too. (and a Williams gesture at the title reveal). Not sure if there are many Spartans here, but thought I'd share it with you guys anyway! ✌🏼

The kid showed me a bit of gameplay (a clip on youtube) of The Last Of Us 2, and technically, it's the best thing I've ever seen. If a was a gamer, I would be scared to play that game.

Took me 6 weeks to finish Hack GU. There was 3 games on the disk. It was interesting but again PS2 era  RPG's don't age that well even remastered. I hope FF XII looks better

Now I'm finally going to play Fallout 4. Glad I waited all this time since it was patched for the PS4 pro

I thought it still looked very much like the janky effort it always has been. I can't imagine multiplayer to feel very polished in that engine at all. And yet I read this morning that they rebuilt it from the ground up for this game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been wasting way to much time with these settlements in Fallout 4. Then i read they're  mainly optional

The only use so far is growing crops to make adhesives (for mods). But now I need screws which are also hard to find

Lol I was walking down a road and a house exploded right in front of me. I want to search it afterwards and the corpse said "moonshiner"  and broken bottles all over the place

it's exactly the same gameplay as the previous ones with better graphics

and at least on the PS4 pro it runs well and smooth. I remember Fallout 3 crashing every 10 minutes on the xbox 360 and the framerates dropping below 10 fps

4 was the first Fallout game I ever played but I just couldn’t get into it despite everything about it seeming to be up my street.