What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

3 is the better game though. 

I prefer the environment and consequences of New Vegas, but 3 was fun too. 

17 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

What didn’t you like about it?

I just found it very boring. It just seemed a little too big yet too repetitive 

17 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Anyone else think Spider-Man 2 was one of the best games ever?

When I was eleven.

6 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I'm about the same when it comes to Fallout. There's a lot of charm that comes from the older ones, but I'm just not a fan of Bethesda games, their worlds are so dull to me.

7 hours ago, Bilbo said:

That’s the appeal, I find. You play through the opening mission and once you’re dumped into the open world you can wander to your heart’s desire. 

35 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

That’s the appeal, I find. You play through the opening mission and once you’re dumped into the open world you can wander to your heart’s desire. 

That's exactly what I told you a page or two ago about Breath of the Wild after you complained about it.

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's exactly what I told you a page or two ago about Breath of the Wild after you complained about it.

Open world was not an issue I had with Breath Of The Wild. 

I made a start on Prey after it finally hit a price point sweet spot (£6.99). Bioshock meets Half-Life by way of System Shock? It's a no-brainer. Beautifully optimised, it feels responsive and 60fps smooth on my ageing PC. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I made a start on Prey after it finally hit a price point sweet spot (£6.99). Bioshock meets Half-Life by way of System Shock? It's a no-brainer. Beautifully optimised, it feels responsive and 60fps smooth on my ageing PC. 

The newer Prey, yeah? That had a lot of weird release drama, but I'm curious to know what people think of it now that the dust has settled. After having ignored shooters for so long, I've gotten the itch for some good ones. You dig it so far?

Yes it's very intriguing so far, very Bioshock/Half-Life. Reception wise, it is a very highly rated game by players, some even said it was their GOTY. Nothing much in common with the original game, mind. 

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yes it's very intriguing so far, very Bioshock/Half-Life. Reception wise, it is a very highly rated game by players, some even said it was their GOTY. Nothing much in common with the original game, mind. 

Cool, thank you! I just remember that Bethesda did some weird stuff, like it didn't give advance copies or advertise or something like that, so it caught a lot of people by surprise. 

They basically sent it out to die... except for the fact that it was surprisingly badass! Like the Doom reboot, it took most by surprise. 

I think it's actually pretty interesting what Bethesda started trying out with Doom and Prey.

Most companies put out a movie or game with no advance reviews because they think it's a stinker and want to get as many uninformed purchases as they can before word gets out.  Bethesda is doing the "not screened/sent to critics" strategy but for good games as a way to generate buzz.  It's like reverse psychology or something.

If they were doing that it'd be very clever of them, but HANG ON THIS IS BETHESDA! Nope. Masters of generating hype for unfinished games. 

I pissed off so many of my teammates/coworkers at Nintendo by trash-talking Bethesda every chance I could get. It was a very hot topic since Skyrim had just been released for the Switch.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I think it's actually pretty interesting what Bethesda started trying out with Doom and Prey.

Most companies put out a movie or game with no advance reviews because they think it's a stinker and want to get as many uninformed purchases as they can before word gets out.  Bethesda is doing the "not screened/sent to critics" strategy but for good games as a way to generate buzz.  It's like reverse psychology or something.

I believe they are just circumventing bad press that devalues all their marketing leading up to the release. Pete Hines is a very frank and candid exec that went into detail about it a year or so ago when they changed their policy. 

I dunno, I always thought they got great press, especially given how buggy their games can be.  Like the general press reaction I read with each game released, as an outsider who doesn't really play this stuff, was "Yeah it's another buggy Bethesda game, but boy is it great and everyone should play it."

Ni no Kuni is a really beautiful game. Now it has an action battle system as opposed to turn based in the first one. Plays like a Tales game

Soundtrack is fantastic

control schemes suck so thank god for the  PS4 system level button mapping (I've used it in 3 games so far)

The unavoidable and grindy nature of the battles in the first game made me grow tired of it not too far into the game. Will I prefer the sequel? 

Currently mashing Just Cause 3 again. It's my go-to summer game now. It's not high-brow entertainment but goddamn if it isn't fun to turn my brain off and fly or grapple around and blow shit up for an hour or two after work.

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

The unavoidable and grindy nature of the battles in the first game made me grow tired of it not too far into the game. Will I prefer the sequel? 

well, like in every RPG you have to grind  levels, but the battles being real time action makes it a very different game

it's probably the best looking JRPG ever though. I don't think the "cartoony/anime" look in videogames can get much better than that

i'm playing on hard because the reviews said the game was too easy

also there's no sidekick to solve every puzzle like the first game

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

Arkham Asylum will humble you in its ability to make you be the Bat. 

Unfortunately many of my opinions on games make me out as some snobby contrarian, but the game of the series I'd recommend is Arkham Knight, which I consider to be the best of the trilogy by far (City being the worst, and not in a relative way). The only reason I would recommend the others is to get the complete narrative, but they do a pretty good job of giving you enough context and standing alone in the story department.

In terms of mood, Asylum is still my favourite. I do like Distractions: The Game (Arkham City), and prefer it over Origins, but the best in terms of gameplay is Knight. Going through all of them is preferable for a first-timer, though.

1 hour ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

XBOX One is backwards compatible, right? So I can play classic Spider-Man 2 and Battlefront?

Yes, Xbox One is backwards compatible to both original Xbox and Xbox 360 games, but not natively. They worked it into the system architecture post-launch, so only select titles are available, but the list is always expanding as they work on making other titles available.

The full list is available here

Star Wars Battlefront is on there, but not Spider-Man 2. To play you just insert your original disc into the console and download the game digitally. 

On 7/17/2018 at 12:34 PM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

This is outrageous. It's unfair.

It was your responsibility to research the system before making the purchase. 

Well, I've never really ventured around this forum beyond the "General Discussion" and John Williams sections until now! So this was a pleasant surprise to come across.

I'm mainly into cartoon platformers, the likes of Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the dragon, Ratchet & Clank, Rayman, 2D Sonic, A Hat in Time, Psychonauts, Shantae, Sly Cooper, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, and the first Jak & Daxter (the sequels sucked). Among many others, but that's what first came to mind.

I mainly was raised on PS1 and 2, and didn't have access to the Nintendo library of platformers until recent years. The Mario Galaxy games were amazing, as are the two Banjo-Kazooie games (Tooie moreso of the twosome). I admit that I found the Donkey Kong Country a bit too exhausting in their difficulty for my tastes, but I recognize I'm just a wimp.

As far as non-platformers go, well, Kingdom Hearts 3 is pre-ordered, so there you have it.

A contender for my all-time favorite game is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. While I didn't get to own it until recently, I would borrow a friend's Gamecube just for that one a LOT as a kid.

19 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

The Mario Galaxy games were amazing, as are the two Banjo-Kazooie games (Tooie moreso of the twosome).

A contender for my all-time favorite game is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. 

That makes you...my new best friend

maxresdefault.jpg

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Good Lord.  Kasey’s discovered Other Topics.

giphy.gif

I can post cartoon stuff too!

(Remember when people talked about Mark Hamill in a context not surrounded by controversy?)

29 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'm mainly into cartoon platformers, the likes of , , , , , , Psychonauts, Shantae, Sly Cooper, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, and the first Jak & Daxter (the sequels sucked). Among many others, but that's what first came to mind.

I mainly was raised on PS1 and 2, and didn't have access to the Nintendo library of platformers until recent years. The Mario Galaxy games were amazing, as are the two Banjo-Kazooie games (Tooie moreso of the twosome). I admit that I found the Donkey Kong Country a bit too exhausting in their difficulty for my tastes, but I recognize I'm just a wimp.

As far as non-platformers go, well, Kingdom Hearts 3 is pre-ordered, so there you have it.

A contender for my all-time favorite game is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. While I didn't get to own it until recently, I would borrow a friend's Gamecube just for that one a LOT as a kid.

Well gee, ya don't say?;)

The second Paper Mario is indeed awesome; the one on the Wii U was part of my training at Nintendo.

8 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I love Vivian. ❤️ 

AND Goombella!

But especially Vivian!

That area where your identity is stolen is one of my favorites in a game, I love the mood of that village so much. Crap, now I want to play through that game again.

7 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I love Vivian. ❤️ 

AND Goombella!

But especially Vivian!

I really enjoyed Paper Mario: Color Splash on the Wii U, which I'm sure you don't own (most people didn't), but also if you like Paper Mario for the characters it might not appeal to you.  It's infamous for using ONLY  Toads as NPCs.

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

the one on the Wii U was part of my training at Nintendo.

It's a great game!

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

but also if you like Paper Mario for the characters it might not appeal to you.  It's infamous for using ONLY  Toads as NPCs.

The gameplay is fun, but the writing and wacky characters with weird moments of poignancy is why I really enjoy the second and the third ones. Does Color Splash have those elements?

I still think the writing is a lot of fun in Color Splash, not really that much needed to change.  You could have literally just replaced some of the Toads with, I dunno, friendly Goombas or something.  I remember loving the haunted hotel.  And the pirate/sailor Toads.  Really cute.

The plot is definitely a lot less involved though.

At this point, I only really love the Kingdom Hearts series for the music and because I deeply love hanging out with Donald and Goofy.

I haven't touched the Paper Mario games after the Wii one, simply as I can't afford the newer systems (a PS4 was generally gifted to me for Christmas, but that's as new as I get. Other than that, I have a PS2, Wii and N64).

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Yeah a short attention span is quite common among a lot of gamers I've found.

What have you been playing recently? I still see you on Destiny from time to time. And also, did you get another Xbox after selling your first? Could have sworn I saw your name pop up at one point. 

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

Bryce D.H is 37 though, and I'm not sure if that qualifies as 'young' in these parts.

People post pictures of Helen Mirren and Sigourney Weaver. There are no rules!