What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Sonic is terrible.  

It was always terrible game design when you had to intentionally jump to land on an enemy to cause damage, while casually falling from a height onto an enemy would hurt you and take away your rings. And how fair is to punish players for leaving the game idle and unpaused for Sonic to just commit suicide? The graphics were always more impressive than the Mario games, but the gameplay was crap. 

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The graphics might have been more technically impressive, but I always found the character designs in Sonic games to be pretty ugly.  Protagonists and enemies both.

I like the character designs! But as I said in my earlier post, it's ironic that the game series' big gimmick is speed, and then every 2 seconds each game throws some clunky ass platforming challenges for you to woefully try and traverse. Sonic handles like a truck on a Slip n' Slide driven by a drunk ostrich, which is bad enough, but then on top of that, it actively sabotages whatever momentum you had going. I always felt a better sense of speed and fluidity with Mario. And the idea of levels with all kinds of different areas is nice, but holy hell is Sonic and crew's jank asses the worst characters to explore them with. Again, Mario, and Rayman Legends as a recent example, smoke Sonic like a cigarillo.

But the music...

30 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Probably too hardcore gamerish for most of this audience, but did anyone see the big Cyberpunk gameplay reveal?

Incredible levels of interactive detail and player agency make for a mouthwatering simulation.

Oh hell yeah, this is going on my radar for sure. I was disappointed with the latest Deus Ex, so maybe this could be the remedy. Thanks for sharing! 

Which thread did you mean to share this in though?

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh hell yeah, this is going on my radar for sure. I was disappointed with the latest Deus Ex, so maybe this could be the remedy. Thanks for sharing! 

Which thread did you mean to share this in though?

Whoops wrong thread, sorry. I must have thought I was in the video game thread.

On 8/30/2018 at 12:02 PM, Disco Stu said:

image.pnglatest?cb=20140605232648

I think those images speak for themselves

Yoshi's a cute anthropomorphized green animal, and Sonic is a cute anthropomorphized blue animal. I ask this seriously, what's your problem with Sonic's design? 

@Quintus Continuing the conversation from Star Wars Thread: Episode VIII, did you check out the newer Deus Ex games?

Sonic's design is iconic and the character's silhouette is probably more instantly recognisable than even Mario's. Gameplay wise Sonic is a solid platformer, but outside of the novel race a friend in split-screen of Sonic 2 (which at the time was fantastic fun and genuinely innovative) I was never particularly a serious player of the franchise and although I've messed about on around four of the games in the series (many moons ago) I've never finished any of them.

19 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

@Quintus Continuing the conversation from Star Wars Thread: Episode VIII, did you check out the newer Deus Ex games?

Yeah I need to move that post to its right place. I played and very much enjoyed Human Revolution and I do own its follow up, but god damnit timesink games like Destiny keep me from playing anything else single player campaign wise these days, it really bugs me! For eg I really want to play God of War, but it ain't happening either at the moment. Even worse, Destiny's long awaited "fix all the launch problems" rework overhaul thingy is finally out next week, so I'm screwed.

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yeah I need to move that post to its right place. I played and very much enjoyed Human Revolution and I do own its follow up, but god damnit timesink games like Destiny keep me from playing anything else single player campaign wise these days, it really bugs me! For eg I really want to play God of War, but it ain't happening either at the moment. Even worse, Destiny's long awaited "fix all the launch problems" rework overhaul thingy is finally out next week, so I'm screwed.

I don't play multiplauer games for that reason! I need to have games that I can sink a finite amount of time in. I'd be really curious to know your thoughts on Mankind Divided. I was so pumped for that game after playing Human Revolution, which I too greatly enjoyed, but alas. There are so many things I think it did well, sometimes improving on its predecessor, but overall it's one of the messiest big games I'd played in a long, long time. There are big swaths of the game that are practically broken--not technically, but in terms of mechanics. 

The stun gun is still one of the most satisfying video game guns ever, though.

Oh, I've discovered I really have a serious affection for quasi infinite gameplay design loops, something I hadn't realised till I played the likes of Destiny and No Man's Sky. It's how I switch off in the evenings - not having a narrative to follow or a particular quest line to have to concentrate on, just playing for the sake of it; making my character more optimal and obtaining better gear via loot drops... I love that stuff, to my own surprise.

But yeah, I still fully intend to play all the major single player releases at some point, and I will. Red Dead 2 will be first. In the backlog though I still have Firewatch, Dishonoured 2, Mankind Divided, the list goes on 😩

Probably too hardcore gamerish for most of this audience, but did anyone see the big Cyberpunk gameplay reveal?

Incredible levels of interactive detail and player agency make for a mouthwatering simulation.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

After spending the past couple of days playing Marvel's Spider-Man from Insomniac I can say it is definitely worth the money. I'm not much of a gamer as most of you know and only pick up one or two things a year. But as a comic book fan I just couldn't resist. The concept itself feels very much (or, better yet, exactly) like Batman Arkham games. The premise, side missions, even combat/stealth mechanics etc. So if you like those, you're in for a treat. The world is executed quite well, New York looks quite amazing. It's quite a huge place with a lot of important landmarks (real and fictional) recreated for true immersion. I was told it is still significantly smaller than the real thing but it feels quite immense. The game was a bit frustrating at first as mastering movement and fighting requires a bit of practice. Spider-Man can't really take a punch like Batman does in his games so you need to be very quick and clever to avoid assault on all fronts. So yeah, it did take me a few attempts. But boy, as you get better it is so much fun. I spent a lot of the time on smaller side missions to get the hang of it all. Also, because of its scope you can probably occasionally see the game world's limitations here and there. After all it attempts to simulate the busy Manhattan with civilians and traffic etc. Those types of things were perhaps better concealed in said Batman games as there were some limitations in place (evacuated city and so on). But whatever it might lack in either freshness or execution (and they're tiny tiny things), the game more than makes up for in sheer fun. Like the Arkham games before it, Marvel's Spider-Man makes you feel like you're actually being a superhero. :)

Karol

On 9/9/2018 at 4:09 AM, crocodile said:

After spending the past couple of days playing Marvel's Spider-Man from Insomniac I can say it is definitely worth the money. I'm not much of a gamer as most of you know and only pick up one or two things a year. But as a comic book fan I just couldn't resist. The concept itself feels very much (or, better yet, exactly) like Batman Arkham games. The premise, side missions, even combat/stealth mechanics etc. So if you like those, you're in for a treat. The world is executed quite well, New York looks quite amazing. It's quite a huge place with a lot of important landmarks (real and fictional) recreated for true immersion. I was told it is still significantly smaller than the real thing but it feels quite immense. The game was a bit frustrating at first as mastering movement and fighting requires a bit of practice. Spider-Man can't really take a punch like Batman does in his games so you need to be very quick and clever to avoid assault on all fronts. So yeah, it did take me a few attempts. But boy, as you get better it is so much fun. I spent a lot of the time on smaller side missions to get the hang of it all. Also, because of its scope you can probably occasionally see the game world's limitations here and there. After all it attempts to simulate the busy Manhattan with civilians and traffic etc. Those types of things were perhaps better concealed in said Batman games as there were some limitations in place (evacuated city and so on). But whatever it might lack in either freshness or execution (and they're tiny tiny things), the game more than makes up for in sheer fun. Like the Arkham games before it, Marvel's Spider-Man makes you feel like you're actually being a superhero. :)

Karol

How is Yuri Lowenthal as Spider-Man? I usually find him pretty annoying.

Also, how is the music? 

I had a number of problems with the first one in this series--one, Lara went from a desperate girl horrified at killing a man in self-defense to Arnie in Predator in about 8 seconds, and how they turned the game into a try-hard Uncharted that's somehow even more ridiculous--"Oh, she's gonna slide on a massive tree trunk, and then she has to jump over a waterfall filled with cultist piranhas--oh, but then a WWII plane crashes in front of you and then you have to slide on that hull, then grab a vine and swing on it until--" if you played the game, you know where I'm going. Oh, and there's barely any tombs to raid!

My question is, does this new one rectify those issues?

6 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

"make the player want to protect her".

Did the developers say that, because I didn't really get that impression going through it. It was extreme and unnecessary, yes, but it just felt like every other contrived attempt in the game to make Serious M Rated Video Game Drama ('cause videos games gwoahed up, we can be vewy edgy like moovies 'cause we need compawisons to filum to weceeb vawuhdashun and be wuhgitimut awut.)

They did. Which interview it was, I don't know. But it's disgusting either way. 

And I'm not even a fan of the series up until that point either. 

7 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Did the developers say that, because I didn't really get that impression going through it. It was extreme and unnecessary, yes, but it just felt like every other contrived attempt in the game to make Serious M Rated Video Game Drama ('cause videos games gwoahed up, we can be vewy edgy like moovies 'cause we need compawisons to filum to weceeb vawuhdashun and be wuhgitimut awut.)

And...why is Elmer Fudd discussing Tomb Raider?

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Lara went from a desperate girl horrified at killing a man in self-defense to Arnie in Predator in about 8 seconds

Yep, one of the most often criticised aspects about the first game, don't remember anything quite like it in Rise or Shadow.

Oh, she's gonna slide on a massive tree trunk, and then she has to jump over a waterfall filled with cultist piranhas--oh, but then a WWII plane crashes in front of you and then you have to slide on that hull, then grab a vine and swing on it until--

One of my least favourite things in TR13, every map or transition between maps had one of those. I played Rise early last year, but I don't remember being as many of those sequences in there, still there were some. I think I liked Rise more than 2013 overall, but I had to stop midway for a few weeks to study and such, so by the final cutscene after 28 hours I barely knew what was going on, should replay it sometime. 7 hours and 22% into Shadow, I only met one of those escape sequences at the very end of the prologue map.

Oh, and there's barely any tombs to raid!

Buy the season pass :P 

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

And I'm not even a fan of the series up until that point either. 

Tomb Raider was before my time...take this from someone who's a fan of Shenmue. Although I'm surprised you haven't drawn lesbian fanart of her yet!

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

And...why is Elmer Fudd discussing Tomb Raider?

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Yep, one of the most often criticised aspects about the first game, don't remember anything quite like it in Rise or Shadow.

I'm pretty sensitive to that stuff in general. Like in Uncharted: Nathan Drake comes off as a douchebag who barhops in San Diego getting rejected by college girls, a happy go lucky chump. Then you have him mass murdering dudes with abandon. Say wha?

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Buy the season pass :P 

I'll pass.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Tomb Raider was before my time...take this from someone who's a fan of Shenmue. Although I'm surprised you haven't drawn lesbian fanart of her yet!

I usually don't feel comfortable drawing characters that aren't my creations.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Ah, so that explains all of the drawings you put on here of Banjo Kazooie, Rayman....

Hence I said usually.

Usually implies I make exceptions once in awhile, jackass.

The whole attempted rape thing in the 2013 game got blown out of proportion. It’s blink and you’ll miss it, a realistic portrayal of how things would go down irl, and it was an idiot executive that made the comments. I don’t believe Rihanna Pratchett wrote the scene the way he interpreted it. 

32 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You just used the age old argument against Uncharted that killing massive amounts of people is incongruent with the character. Cognitive dissonance.

That's not realism, that's believability. Plenty of games--and other media-- accomplish this very well.

18 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

There's a difference between realism and believability? 

Of course. Take the truck chase, let's say, from Raiders of the Lost Ark, especially when Indy is under the truck and hangs from the rear with his whip. Realistic? Hell no, not by life standards. Believable? It feels entirely within the realm of possibility the movie has constructed, there is no dissonance, to use your word. If you wanna argue that's "realism" in context with the movie, you can do that, I guess, but you know that's not the point.

When I played Uncharted, I had no issue with all of the death defying, zany-ass, homocidal, and yes, unrealistic stunts Nathan Drake pulled off. I just couldn't believe he was the man doing it.

Frankly, I'm surprised you're so dismissive of this.

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

There are undead zombie creatures in this game. I don't understand your point. It's a game, without the gun combat there is no gameplay.

I edited my post to add further clarification, I don't know if you read it before responding.