What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

If all the claims they're making about no loading screens and download times is true, then that RAM is going to be necessary.

Even if the graphical jump isn't as big as some were expecting, I'm more excited about games being able to do more at once. No more popping in textures, no more lag, all games will run at 60fps, etc.

Even on PC, I'd like open world games like Bethesda to have farther draw distances and seamless transitions between buildings and the outside environment. If consoles need more gigabytes to make that happen, I'm all for it.

Still , how good a game looks is up to the developpers.

Darksiders 2 should look way better than it does even on this generation , comparing it to other games. It has blocky low-rez textures everywhere

I played JRPG's for the PS3 that look like PS2 titles at best

It is up to the developers for a lot of it, but then again the PS3 is notorious for being difficult to work with. With the PS4, it sounds like Sony build it with the intention of giving developers the easiest way to create their games as best as possible.

Instead of the best looking games being limited to exclusive developers like Naughty Dog and Guerrilla that know that secret tap into the console's power, I'm hoping most games will look like that this generation.

I never actually looked at the DualShock 4 until last night. I missed the first 30 minutes of the presentation and was told that it's the same as the prototype leak, but it's actually quite different. It's not nearly as big as I thought it was, and the touchpad/move sensor is completely different on the final version. It looks pretty good. Still not a huge fan of the new joysticks though, we'll see how they feel.

PS4/DualShock 4/Camera specifications. 8GB of memory.

For those who missed the PS3 announcement.

[Edit] Just gonna get a quick "Screw you too, Quint" in before he inevitably lashes out at me/this video/this post in our ongoing feud. ;)

Finished Dead Space 2. Very good game and an often brutally tense experience on the higher difficultly settings, but like Koray said: it began to drag a bit toward the end. Mind you though he said he felt it after chapter 8 whereas I was still completely riveted at that point. Nah, I just felt it could have done with slightly tighter pacing and a chapter or two less (there's fifteen). 8/10

Started Crysis 3. Boo hoo my pc is struggling with max setting and I'm gonna have to turn some down a bit (or a lot) :(

I like Darksiders 2. The scope of the environments is breathtaking. Too bad the textures are blocky. On new gen this would look so awesome

It's not an easy game either. I got owned by some bosses quite a bit. Even regular mobs can be tough

I guess it;'s games like this with really top notch graphics I'm the most looking forward to

Nah just had update to the brand new AMD beta driver which has been optimised especially for this game.

But I know exactly what you mean ;)

So anyway, this game is a glimpse of the future. I can't go back to Xbox after playing the next generation early. It's nuts to think Sony fanboys are counting the days to Killzone 4; when people are already feasting on such stunning fidelity already on pc. I'm not sure if there's any more big releases incoming on pc, but at this rate Killzone might have already been well surpassed by the time it comes out.

Finished Dead Space 2. Very good game and an often brutally tense experience on the higher difficultly settings, but like Koray said: it began to drag a bit toward the end. Mind you though he said he felt it after chapter 8 whereas I was still completely riveted at that point. Nah, I just felt it could have done with slightly tighter pacing and a chapter or two less (there's fifteen). 8/10

Started Crysis 3. Boo hoo my pc is struggling with max setting and I'm gonna have to turn some down a bit (or a lot) :(

Chapter 8 was an estimation. I stopped playing it 2 years ago, after all. It may have realistically been around Chapter 11 or 12 if there are indeed 15 (can't remember). When I finally beat it a couple weeks back it only took me an hour or so from where I left off.

Yeah add me too, Wojo.

I finally got platinum in Dishonored. The DLC trophies being absent giving it an 85% completion makes my OCD irk though. That's one game I can put back on the shelf though.

I have Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, Ni No Kuni, Assassin's Creed III, Skyrim DLC, Sly Cooper 4, Max Payne 3, and tons more games to finish though. Onward!

Tomb Raider got a 9.1 from IGN. It looks good and I've been wanting it ever since I saw the E3 video but I might wait for the price to drop on it. Looks a lot like Uncharted, which is ironic since the franchise paved the way for games like Uncharted.

IGN are the brazen shills of the video game critique world, but yes Tomb Raider has had some very encouraging reviews, which I'm rather surprised about - the previews did after all paint it very much as a highly derivative work which borrowed and stole from other titles which have since become the action adventure benchmarks themselves. Anyway, I'll play it at some point. Eurogamer's complaints about the constant never ending carot dangling unlocks, collectibles and XP bars which intrude on the immersion at every turn did make my eyes roll, though, and mean I'll never actually pay full price for it.

Almost finished Crysis 3 on pc. The game is a spectacular eye feast, but absolutely shit gameplay-wise. And at half the size of the previous games it also feels like a complete cop out. Crysis 2 wiped the floor with it. Spend your money on something else instead.

I saw that this remake of Tomb Raider is the first one in the series to be rated M. Does that mean boobies? :P Actually, it looks like they toned down her giant rack for this iteration

New_Lara_Croft.jpg

It's M most likely for the rape scene that leads to Lara killing for the first time, which they got a whole ton of PR flak for and toned it down to sexual assault, even after they stood by their statement that it's an adult video game.

I haven't played much of Crysis 3, Lee, but I'm liking it so far. It does indeed feel smaller, but just as enjoyable. I much prefer the urban jungle over 3 blocks of New York City. 2 was very limited in terms of environment variety. I jumped on multiplayer for one round last night and the drop in graphics quality was really just stunning. It looked like a PS3 launch title. A shame.

I started up Dead Space 3 last night too. This one strangely looks worse than its predecessor as well. Perhaps the devs are all preoccupied with the next gen so they are putting less effort into these last titles for the PS3. I'm not a fan of the new Benches at all. The ability to craft and upgrade new weapons based off parts you find in the environment doesn't feel right for this universe. The nodes and upgrade trees were so much simpler in the last two, making this one feel unnecessarily complicated with its multiple menus and required parts. I have yet to find a Store too, and haven't found any credits lying around so I think they may have gotten rid of the currency system in favor of breaking down stuff you find and building new things out of the materials. Maybe they just made the plasma cutter a whole lot shittier, but this one will probably prove to be just as challenging, if not more so. I noticed there were NINETEEN chapters this time around, so it seems like it will probably be just as dragged out too, especially with the inclusion of side missions. Enemies are faster and evolve as you tear off their limbs. I split a necromorph in half, assuming the kill, but then three tentacles sprouted from the legs and it came running at me. I felt like I was in The Thing, which is a good thing. Jason Graves returns to score but this time around James Hannigan is providing half the material, and it all sounds superb. Best one yet.

@Koray.

You'll have to tell me how you feel about Crysis after you've beat it. I too thought it was great at first, but after a few more missions I started to feel strangely detached from the experience, as if I had taken a step back from the visual fiesta and discovered the mechanical dullness beneath. It's an empty shooter imo.

Dead Space 3 is on my list of things to do. No hurry there though, as has been the case for that solid series and me.

Jason, don't worry about the boobage; it's still present and correct:

1361901561212.jpg

For a younger Croft than previous titles (this is a prequel), they're still perfectly ample for your discerning rackage requirements ;)

You've never played Kingdom Hearts?

Nope. I've only played JRPG's of this generation consoles.

so if they re-made all the Final Fantasy in HD I would play them too

Well, for PS3 or xbox360. I'm not gonna play nintendo DS remakes

Jason, don't worry about the boobage; it's still present and correct:

For a younger Croft than previous titles (this is a prequel), they're still perfectly ample for your discerning rackage requirements ;)

I just watched the whole opening cinematic

Nah, those aren't nearly as big as they were in the original PS1 games. I'm not complaining though, she looks like a realistic woman now, and not a nerd programmers wet fantasy

As I said, the character is supposed to be a few years younger in this game. The huge boobs may yet return in later games you may be pleased to find out :P

And I still don't think she looks like a "realistic" woman. She still every bit the impossibly attractive and perfectly proportioned teenager's wet dream. I think you've just been lulled by her newfound "grittiness" AKA "realism".

I'm not hugely familiar with the franchise. I bought one of them for PSone but barely remember any of it. It's third person, this prequel takes place before any of the other games. It's the start of Lara as the tomb raider, so to speak. It looks more or less exactly like Uncharted, sans linear storyline. From what I gathered from IGN's review, it's open world on an island and while there is a main story there are caves and other geographic properties you can explore for loot and treasure.

It won't take long for PC versions of this game to provide a modpack to undress Lara.

What is your origin name?

RichWojo

Turns out I have no idea how to add players in the game, whether it's through a menu inside the game that I haven't found yet, or at Origin's website, or if you need to be past level 6. I only created the account about...30 minutes ago or so, because I don't (otherwise) game on Origin. So if you and Koray and others can figure out how to add me (and can point me to an explanation), by all means.

it's a bit like Darksiders 2 in a different setting

Definitely nothing like the Zelda template. These games are linear experiences with biggish explorable pockets (puzzles) dotted throughout the adventure. But you shouldn't let that put you off.

Wojo, I'll add you to Origin! Anyone else? How 'bout Steam? Seriously though, I wish one of you guys were a core fps gamer on Xbox; we are currently in dire need of a solid fourth player.

I

it's a bit like Darksiders 2 in a different setting

Definitely nothing like the Zelda template. These games are linear experiences with biggish explorable pockets (puzzles) dotted throughout the adventure. But you shouldn't let that put you off.

Wojo, I'll add you to Origin! Anyone else? How 'bout Steam? Seriously though, I wish one of you guys were a core fps gamer on Xbox; we are currently in dire need of a solid fourth player.

I'm a core FPS gamer, just not on Xbox ;)

Based on your reactions though it seems you may lean toward Sony this generation. I think we played like one match of Killzone 3 together.

We did? I booted that up and had a blast online last week actually. I just LOVE the hefty swagger of that game's mechanics; it's as unique as Halo in that regard, although the two couldn't be more different. I tend to lean toward online fps which feel like nothing else on the market, and also just because they tend to be tough as nails to get into. Killzone 4 will be purchased purely for its multiplayer.

Crysis 3 online without aim-assist on controller vs mouse players is not very enjoyable. I'm disappointed they removed the option since the last game. I just can't be bothered getting my little knee height table out and using my keyboard and mouse!

We did? I booted that up and had a blast online last week actually. I just LOVE the hefty swagger of that game's mechanics; it's as unique as Halo in that regard, although the two couldn't be more different. I tend to lean toward online fps which feel like nothing else on the market, and also just because they tend to be tough as nails to get into. Killzone 4 will be purchased purely for its multiplayer.

Crysis 3 online without aim-assist on controller vs mouse players is not very enjoyable. I'm disappointed they removed the option since the last game. I just can't be bothered getting my little knee height table out and using my keyboard and mouse!

I think so, way back when it came out. That swagger is actually what I don't like about Killzone. It makes movement feel awkward and imprecise.

I sent you a friend request wojo

Where do I have to go to see and accept the request? Do I have to install Origin on my desktop to allow friends to add me on a game for my phone? I didn't see a request in the game itself, in my email, or in the Origin webpage when I logged in.

It should be in-app. During the loading screen there should be an Origin logo on the bottom left you can click, and in game you should be able to find it by navigating to the Other Springfields screen. But like I said earlier, you may not have access to it until you reach a certain level. I believe there's a "quest" to add friends. I added you too btw.

one hour?

I'm wrapping up Darksiders 2. A few sidequests and one DLC left to do

Tuesday I'm going to buy Atelier Ayesha, The Alchemist of Dusk, since I really enjoyed the previous 3 games in that series

I was a huge fan of the old PS Store and the current XMB, and it looks like they're changing to be more in line with the Store. Eh. The Store is so bad now that I only go to it on my computer to browse and buy stuff. It's more cumbersome, it's an actual app now and thus takes like 30 seconds to load and quit. Everything is bigger and takes up more space making browsing a bitch. It's just awful

PS+ had The Walking Dead on sale for $9 so I snagged it since I had already played Episodes 1 and 2. Beating it more or less reinforced by initial impressions. It has some of the best voice acting you can find in a game, coupled with some tense and brooding atmosphere, which is all then subsequently turned mediocre because of the horrid writing and animation.

Enormous potential gone to waste because of Telltale.