What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I beat SteamWorld Dig 2 again.  Now I'm playing SteamWorld Dig on Switch.  I just needed more SteamWorld.

Did any body here play SteamWorld Heist?  Turn-based games in general aren't really my bag, honestly.  I drifted away from it after a few levels.

I think my final thought on the Steam Link hardware or app on a smart TV is that it's unusable unless you use a hardwired network. In my rental, wireless is my best option. 

But if your gaming computer is in the same room as the TV, why mess with that interface at all when you can just run an hdmi cord to the couch? 

So I got my wife set up to play Skyrim on her gaming-capable laptop with a 360 gamepad on the TV. Cheaper than re-buying it for the Switch. And she's digging it.

Anyone know of any good cooperative RPGs or exploration games that can be played with two computers on a network? I'd like to join my wife in playing a game like Skyrim or Breath of the Wild, instead of just watching. 

yeah so I was in this big battle in Kingdom Come :Deliverance

that's when the performance issues became apparent. Game slowed to a crawl on the P4 pro

Maybe it was too many characters on screen at the same time.

5 hours ago, Wojism said:

Anyone know of any good cooperative RPGs or exploration games that can be played with two computers on a network? I'd like to join my wife in playing a game like Skyrim or Breath of the Wild, instead of just watching. 

Sorry I can't answer this question, I only add that I'd love to know the answer to this question too.

I've played some games where you could have other people control each party members or default to A.I. if you play alone

i think Monster Hunter World is like that

or something like Final Fantasy 14

I'm watching The Game Awards tonight.  Last year it still didn't really work as an actual awards show, we'll see if they're any better about that this year, but it at least always 1 or 2 interesting announcements.

Why's that?  Up through what I saw, it was plenty cringeworthy, with a few ok moments.   It's still mostly a marketing opportunity for the big publishers.  The highlight, like in previous years, was the Industry Icon award.  I still wish the Oscars kept the lifetime achievement in the telecast!

The Game Awards was never about announcements until it garnered enough attention though. Now it’s a great showcase balancing industry accomplishments, the gaming community, and it provides a platform for big publishers and indies to make some cool announcements.

With presenters like Jonah Hill (shouting out composer Woody Jackson), Christoph Waltz, the Russo brothers, and the Stranger Things creators, this show has surpassed the “prestigious” Academy show for me.  Geoff Keighley pretty much sets it all up solo based on friendly relations, which is insanely impressive, and gives everything a down to earth vibe. 

31 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

The Game Awards was never about announcements until it garnered enough attention though. Now it’s a great showcase balancing industry accomplishments, the gaming community, and it provides a platform for big publishers and indies to make some cool announcements.

With presenters like Jonah Hill (shouting out composer Woody Jackson), Christoph Waltz, the Russo brothers, and the Stranger Things creators, this show has surpassed the “prestigious” Academy show for me.  Geoff Keighley pretty much sets it all up solo based on friendly relations, which is insanely impressive, and gives everything a down to earth vibe. 

I’ve watched from the first year, it was paid attention to because of the announcements then too.  Obviously it’s Keighley’a connections thatve always made it work.

I don’t have anything against the show, I just don’t really view it all that differently from any other awards show or marketing expo.  I enjoy watching it in much the same way I enjoy watching the Oscars, actually.  Partially taking it seriously, mostly not.

14 minutes ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

Well, I'm sure Crash Team Racing will be fun online, at least. Even if there's no other reason to remake that game.

Crash as a character is a little too 90s "our mascot has a TUDE" for my taste.

Mobile gaming has been huge for years now, but of all the titles I've tried I've just not been grabbed by any of them for longer than five minutes, until now...

A roguelike building and resource management game, the 2D pixel art and opaque systems (simple on the surface but considerably deeper than first impressions would suggest) really come together in a fiendishly addictive package where two mins of diverting play soon becomes an hour of relaxing progression and more (when the rushing hordes of darkness assault and sack your town it can feel tense and calamitous), but each new attempt feels like you're going in knowing more than you did before and so it spurs you on to have another go.

I reached around 60 days of expansion and survival during my most recent playthrough, and it felt as good a couple of hours worth of gaming as anything I've had on the other platforms. Originally a hit on PC, this is a perfect fit for handheld devices. And not a single microtransaction in sight.

For some reason, I have played the daily Flow Free games for over 140 days straight. 

I play Words with Friends with three people. 

I have reached a level in Bricks'n'Balls that I can not beat, so it may come off. 

I used to be obsessed with Hill Climb Racing but it was more fun on my slightly shorter previous phone. 

Landrule is a fun alternative to Risk, but only against other people. 

I used to play Plants and Zombies, but I don't feel like like grinding through the early levels to get back to my favorite part, the vase smash game. The sequel is a crime to charge players money for the snow peas. 

Aw man, Flow Free!  I love that shit!  I used to play daily as well!  Until Fire Emblem Heroes took over...

Finishing up Kingdom Come Deliverance, 102 hours in. Game had no bugs for 100 hours but I had corrupted saves that won't load now and it crashed in the last main  quest events.

This is the type of thing that makes me freak out in a game and now I just want to finish it as soon as possible. Witcher 3 had issues like this was ruined for me because of it.

I've said it loads of times to people: stop buying games so early. For big expansive titles I wait at least 12 months. In the case of the Witcher 3, its developer worked tirelessly on that game for years afterwards. My playthrough was issue free.

18 hours ago, Wojism said:

A new single player futuristic first person RPG from Obsidian? 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/12/obsidian-announces-the-outer-worlds-frames-it-as-fallout-new-vegas-in-space/

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! 

Looks a bit too Borderlands for my tastes, but it’s Obsidian so I’ll keep my eye on it. 

It just looks exactly like a Fallout rip-off but with a better engine. I don't even think they've bothered to disguise the fact that it's a Fallout clone. It could also be quite good, for fans of those sorts of games.

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

It just looks exactly like a Fallout rip-off but with a better engine. I don't even think they've bothered to disguise the fact that it's a Fallout clone. It could also be quite good, for fans of those sorts of games.

Well yes, it’s by the original Fallout creators ;)

ok well Dragon quest looks really nice. Too bad they ruined the score by having it play on MIDI . I know they want to please the nostalgia and retro gamers out there  but this has no place in 2018 .it sounds horrible and like I'm playing something on the NES

looked up random comments online and I got this gem

RossRichard 3 months ago#14
 The music is fine, all an orchestral score will be is the individual instruments will sound slightly different. The actual compositions are the same. If you hate the music now, going with an orchestral score won't magically make you love the soundtrack.

Well Dragon Quest XI  looks beautiful, unfortunately it feels like I'm playing a game from 15-20  years ago . There is not a slightest evolution from the JRPG conventions of the PS1/PS2 era  except the graphics .The turn based battle are like early Final Fantasy games.  Navigating through the various menus has a very archaic feel. There's a beautiful vast world to explore with only a few hidden  treasure chests and "shiny spots" on the ground representing materials  you can pick up, no surprises or cool exploration mechanics .Like I said the in game  music is in MIDI while inexplicably they provided a full orchestral soundtrack c.d. as a bonus in the deluxe edition of the game

Gameplay wise Dragon Quest Heroes and Dragon Quest Builders were better than this

I have a question that might sound odd. Or at least, I'll try to phrase it so it doesn't sound odd.

What are RPG's (be it turn-based or action-RPG) where your party members are alongside you both during combat and outside combat gameplay? Rather than you walking by yourself until a battle, then suddenly party members are there? It seems as though the only RPG's that have that are Paper Mario, Kingdom Hearts and Rogue Galaxy.

Chrono Trigger 

Secret of Mana

Phantasy Star

There are probably more JRPGs that show the whole party on the overmap than ones that don't. 

Yes I played Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3(great game)  and recently Valkytria Revolution (not so great)

I should play Valkyria Chronicles 4 sometime this year

oh and they have great scores

ok so Dragon Quest XI does have an epic feel to it and is beautiful.Surely the best part of it is exploration. Still too bad it seems like the mechanics of a 3DS game dressed up for the PS4 but since one version of the game is actually on the 3DS so that might explain it.

I  hate when the PS4 version of a game ends up crippled because they had to make it work on the 3DS,VITA or Switch .Happens quite a lot with JRPG's

37 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Yes I played Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3(great game)  and recently Valkytria Revolution (not so great)

I should play Valkyria Chronicles 4 sometime this year

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the first one. Great gameplay, some nice music, and some surprisingly nuanced writing. 

I just picked up the fourth one on Switch about an hour ago, so I was curious to know if you had an opinion on it.

39 minutes ago, King Mark said:

hate when the PS4 version of a game ends up crippled because they had to make it work on the 3DS,VITA or Switch .Happens quite a lot with JRPG's

Is that known as a fact, or this conjecture? 

30 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Is that known as a fact, or this conjecture? 

I've played all the JRPG's of the last few years and every time they seem downgraded or "last gen"  is  because a Vita or 3DS version exists. Trails of Cold Steel, Tokyo Xanadu,  Y's VIII,Digimon World Next Order,World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Type-0...ect... For Dragon quest XI it has the "core" of a 3DS game or 90's Final Fantasy game with PS4 graphics. For the Switch I notice a lot of RPG's that might have been great otherwise have 2D scrolling graphics instead of a full 3D world. So even if Octopath Traveller was eventually ported to the PS4 I wouldn't play it

What the!?  He changed his question and now my answer is different!

He originally mentioned only Monster Boy or Shovel Knight, so I picked Shovel Knight

Now that he's asking about Shovel Knight, Celeste, or Hollow Knight, I'd say the answer depends on what you're in the mood for.

Shovel Knight = nostalgia graphics, great gameplay, not super hard

Celeste = retro graphics but way more colorful that SK, great story, extremely hard in parts, but there are options to blow past the parts you need help with

Hollow Knight - modern graphics, lots of backtracking and looping through the same areas

Honestly I'd go with Celeste.  One of the best and most rewarding video games I've ever played (I beat it without using any cheats once), and one of the best video game scores of all time

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Celeste = retro graphics but way more colorful that SK, great story, extremely hard in parts, but there are options to blow past the parts you need help with

Isn't it one of those games where it encourages meta-human reflexes, and 24 tries to get past each challenge screen?

I am very bad at video games and was able to beat it.  The difficulty of the game is extremely over-embellished in online discussion. 

I'm sure it's very hard to get every last collectible, sure. But to just get to the end credits, if I can do it, anybody can