What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

What the!?  He changed his question and now my answer is different!

Sorry! I realized Monster Boy isn't available in stores, only online. So I should have the choice be between games I can actually go into a Movie Trading Company and buy.

Well, my brother in law got me the Torna expansion of Xenoblade Chronicles II for Christmas, so that should keep me busy for a while

As far as 2019 games go, I'm most excited for Yoshi's Crafted World, POSSIBLY Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Luigi’s Mansion 3... and of course Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4, though we don't know if those will come out in 2019 or 2020 yet

Resident Evil 2 is my fave RE game from back in the day, so I'll pick that up for PS4 eventually... probably when its $20.  My BIL also got me The Last Gaurdian for XMas so hopefully that's good.

I'm also excited to see what is next from Retro Studios and Matt Makes Games, whatever those may be and whenever they may come out

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Luigi’s Mansion 3

Crap, I forgot that's coming! Now that's a game with the number 3 in the title I can get behind, and not immediately lose respect for anyone who says they're looking forward to!

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Resident Evil 2 is my fave RE game from back in the day, so I'll pick that up for PS4 eventually... probably when its $20.  

Have you seen footage for this one? 

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Crap, I forgot that's coming! Now that's a game with the number 3 in the title I can get behind, and not immediately lose respect for anyone who says they're looking forward to!

33F13C1B-42E8-4F16-8CF7-4C50FCCFDEC3.jpeg

I played a lot of them as a tyke for my mother’s sake. She was into survival-horror in contrast to me being into platformers, but often would drag me into playing them for her when she was struggling on a boss. So I played a lot of RE4 (LEEOOONN HEEEELLPP), Code Veronica, the one with the Jill sandwich, etc. 

Finished the new Spider-Man game.  Of all the Spiders, this one comes closest to honoring the legacy of Tobey.  The gameplay is great (an evolution of Spider-Man 2 for the GameCube) and the cutscenes are stupendous!  Some really incredible mocap work/performances (particularly with the villains) and a great balance of drama and comedy.

It doesn't overdo the quips like MCU nor does it get lost in its own cutesiness like the Lord Miller cartoon.

The only real weak point is the score.  It has some okay individual moments but it lacks any overarching personality or a good main theme to bring it all together (for some reason, the theme is written in that generic MCU style that everybody hates now - essentially a clone of the Silvestri's Avengers theme).  That was one area that Into the Spider did better

Well the story and overall epicness is making up for the rudimentary game play in Dragon quest XI .I'm 90 hours in and it looks like I'm only 2/3 of the way through and supposedly you have to play as long time in post-game to get the true ending and things get a lot more hardcore and difficult

11 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Finished the new Spider-Man game.  Of all the Spiders, this one comes closest to honoring the legacy of Tobey.  The gameplay is great (an evolution of Spider-Man 2 for the GameCube) and the cutscenes are stupendous!  Some really incredible mocap work/performances (particularly with the villains) and a great balance of drama and comedy.

It doesn't overdo the quips like MCU nor does it get lost in its own cutesiness like the Lord Miller cartoon.

The only real weak point is the score.  It has some okay individual moments but it lacks any overarching personality or a good main theme to bring it all together (for some reason, the theme is written in that generic MCU style that everybody hates now - essentially a clone of the Silvestri's Avengers theme).  That was one area that Into the Spider did better

The best Spider-Man score!

For some reason (okay, a woman riding a dinosaur on the cover), my wife bought Ark Survival for the Switch. The first and only video game I've seen where the main character can shit his pants, you can pick it up, and eat it. 

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is super duper stupendous and ya'll should stop everything you're doing and play it.

"What if my wife's in labor!?"

She'll be fine, just boot up the game! Maybe you'll end up naming your child after one of the characters!

"What if I've just been shot?!"

Play the game from within the hospital room. Surely they'll let you bring your PS4. 

"What if I'm listening to a John Powell score?"

....Eh, the game can wait, I guess.

well games look incredible in 4K HDR for sure

Switching image between my old TV and the new one .HUGE difference .So if you have a PS4 Pro and sticking with 1080p your really missing out

well I was playing Dragon Quest XI , the image is noticeably improved on this TV in 4K but I figured out it's not HDR because when I put Assassin's Creed Origins the TV specifically tells me it's in HDR. I did have to tone down the TV's brightness on that one because the default HDR setting was too bright..but it looks drastically different from my old TV.

Too bad I don't have Horizon Zero Dawn anymore

But I have Monster Hunter World and Final Fantasy XV to try

whew finished Dragon Quest XI .145 hours. Basically the "post game" is essentially part of the game and continues the story to get the True Ending...so it wasn't really post game.

Overall it a huge game with an epic story and it feels like a journey I started ages ago. The battle system was a bit simplistic in the first half of the game but it gets more hardcore as the game progresses .In post game the game doesn't hold your hand at all and you have to figure things out.That part of the game really made it shine.I kept getting clobbered by the final boss until I found out you had to remove it's shield by a stupid gimmick

I still deplore the Midi score (since orchestral versions of the game music were recorded for a c.d. release) and 8 bit sound effects to make it feel retro just for the sake of the nostalgic fan base of the series . it felt really out of place with the beautiful graphics and a gigantic error on the developers part

It's been fascinating to read the sheer unadulterated praise for Celeste. Part of me wants to seek out a negative critique of the game (a well-written one anyway), just to read a different point of view.

also got a copy of Darksiders 3 from the library

I'll try monster Hunter World first but I didn;t like the one on the wii

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Cute, bespin

i mean shit synth mockups that sound like I'm playing on a NES

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

The you deserve to get your Harry Potter John Williams Collection set replaced with midi mock ups

It happened!  Jesus H tapdancing Christ, it happened!  I don't know how, but my entire mp3 folder has been replaced with MIDI!  You fucking magician, how did you do it?  You deserve a fucking medal, holy shit, you're amazing!  What's your goddamn secret, you magnificent bastard?

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

i mean shit synth mockups that sound like I'm playing on a NES

Honestly with the track or two you posted I can see why you're not happy with the way the music is realized. 

What's with all the outsiders popping in this thread at once?

Hmm, tried Monster Hunter World and HDR doesn't look great so I left it on normal

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/94pqpw/isnt_hdr_supposed_to_be_more_vibrant/

Assassin's Creed Origins looks great in HDR, but it took me an hour to figure out you have to adjust the HDR settings in-game as the default was too bright and washed out

• 2 weeks later...